Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No Announcement Tonight Per colts and 1070 (Merge)

bababooey

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

An extra day won't hurt. Teams are only interviewing their obligatories -- Rooney Rule guys and interims -- right now. And Mike Shanahan, who I don't think the Colts are interested in.

The post i was replying to said a week.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

At the very least, they would have to hire a minority candidate to satisfy the Rooney Rule.   Or does that apply since this would effectively be an extension?

Doesn't apply per 1070. Pagano's contract doesn't end until march unless fired earlier.  

In a way I am glad no decision has been made yet.

Before/During the season reports were the Chuck would be fired unless the Colts made a run to the Super Bowl. The fact that they are still meeting/no decision made yet says that Jim Irsay is carefully considering this.

It's a big decision. You can bring up reasons to get rid of him but the fact is he has won and won in the playoffs. If you decide to go in a different direction I think it has to be a big name (Saban, Payton, Gruden). It can get worse...just ask the 49ers how getting rid of Jim Harbaugh has worked out for them.

11 minutes ago, MTC said:

Interesting. I guess this means that Pagano probably comes back if the Colts give him an offer he sees as respectable. They're probably negotiating a potential extension. I just feel like if they were going to fire him it would have happened by now.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:
Just now, Superman said:

A new DC with new defensive players could theoretically fix the defense.

Toler is obviously done as a Colt. 

That should save us about 70 passing yards a game average given up right there :funny:"Toler is obviously done as a Colt"

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

Link on what? A week from now all the good candidates will be locked up. There's no time to give Pagano a deal to "mull over"

The way I read your post made it sound like they have interviews scheduled already...that's why I asked 

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Absolutely, and with at least some kind of raise from the reported $4.5m/year he's been making.

Any chance Irsay is trying to get a draft pick for Pagano given that he is one of the hottest candidates during hiring season....and he is likely under contract until March?

12 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

I agree the defense needs more talent, but the majority of blowouts have been more due to the offense than the defense...imo.  

Particularly the offensive line.  Watch one of those Steelers blowouts or one of the Patriot blowouts.  We got throttled at the line of scrimmage in each. and. every. instance.  It's the common thread.

Look, it doesn't matter who your quarterback is if he doesn't have time to deliver the ball.  It doesn't matter who your running back is if he doesn't have holes opened for him.  It doesn't matter who your receivers are if the quarterback is eating dirt before the route can be run.

There's no question that our defense of late has been middling, at best.  But, offensively, I think virtually all of the problems we've had can be put on the offensive line.

Somebody should come up with a better way to quantify o-line play.  It would be interesting to see those stats and how our lines have matched up in recent times.

4 minutes ago, Dustin said:

The post i was replying to said a week.

I shouldn't have said it like I did. If they are mulling over a deal, Chuck would probably need to make up his mind tomorrow or Wednesday morning at the latest. 

6 minutes ago, adamr said:

In a way I am glad no decision has been made yet.

Before/During the season reports were the Chuck would be fired unless the Colts made a run to the Super Bowl. The fact that they are still meeting/no decision made yet says that Jim Irsay is carefully considering this.

It's a big decision. You can bring up reasons to get rid of him but the fact is he has won and won in the playoffs. If you decide to go in a different direction I think it has to be a big name (Saban, Payton, Gruden). It can get worse...just ask the 49ers how getting rid of Jim Harbaugh has worked out for them.

Well, if there's a front office executive in the league worse than Grigson, it's Jed York.  Getting rid of Harbaugh was bone-headed enough.  But replacing him with Jim Tomsula?  Just mind-boggling.

I do agree that it could get worse, not better.

But I think that Payton and Gruden, for their parts, have already proven themselves as competent NFL coaches.  Nick Saban, not so much (but he's not coming, anyway).

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm irritated with Indy media right now. They're moaning and complaining because they've been camped out in the media room all day, and now no decision is being made yet. Doesn't mean the situation is being handled poorly.

I think its great. Should happen more often considering the media permits shoddy reporting among its peers.

Another poster kind of pointed it out and I hadnt thought much of it until he did.....but with talks going between Irsay and Pagano.....where is Grigson? Is Grigs there and it's just not being said or is Grigs on the outside and Irsay making the call.....and if so, what does that bold for Grigson.....

I began the day thinking the chances of Pagano staying were less than 10 percent, now I'm at 50/50.

I began the day at 70 percent Grigson staying, now that's dropped to 50/50...

Perplexed am I.  

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Another poster kind of pointed it out and I hadnt thought much of it until he did.....but with talks going between Irsay and Pagano.....where is Grigson? Is Grigs there and it's just not being said or is Grigs on the outside and Irsay making the call.....and if so, what does that bold for Grigson.....

I began the day thinking the chances of Pagano staying were less than 10 percent, now I'm at 50/50.

Perplexed am I.  

I'm about 90% Pagano stays

Still 100% Grigson stays

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Perplexed am I.  

Maybe he's here, maybe he leaves.  Hard to tell.  Definitely looks better for Chuck right now, but no guarantees.

12 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Perplexed am I.  

I would think the call on Pagano's status will be Irsay's to make, not Grigson's.  It might not be that way at some organizations with hands-off owners.  But Irsay isn't a hands-off owner.

44 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm irritated with Indy media right now. They're moaning and complaining because they've been camped out in the media room all day, and now no decision is being made yet. Doesn't mean the situation is being handled poorly.

Just listened to a funny podcast interview with Kent Sterling and our own Kevin Bowen.  Kevin was there a little later, and Kent left when the pizza was fresh.  Kevin got the stale.  Nothing happening :)

32 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Any chance Irsay is trying to get a draft pick for Pagano given that he is one of the hottest candidates during hiring season....and he is likely under contract until March?

Can't imagine.

And I'm not sure about this 'under contract until March' deal, either. I think a coach's contract expires after the last game of the season.

I might be ok to give them ONE more year. Tell them both to stop the infighting and tell grigson to fix the o line and Pagano to make a super bowl run and if that doesn't happen fire them both next year. Like a prove it deal together. But who knows. I agree its weird. Could mean something or nothing. Maybe irsay just wants a little more time to decide before he makes the decision.

39 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Hard to imagine getting to the place where you can justify that contract now when you couldn't last year...not saying its a mistake, just would be very surprised.

Pagano can stand on principle. If Irsay tells him to leave, he can go get his long term deal with a raise from another team. And I think everyone knows that. That's kind of endearing me to Pagano, despite his shortcomings. He obviously really wants to stay with the Colts.

2 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I might be ok to give them ONE more year. Tell them both to stop the infighting and tell grigson to fix the o line and Pagano to make a super bowl run and if that doesn't happen fire them both next year. Like a prove it deal together. But who knows. I agree its weird. Could mean something or nothing. Maybe irsay just wants a little more time to decide before he makes the decision.

If Grigs would just leave him alone and let him Coach and would Draft some O.Lineman and 1 Good Pass Rusher I would be ok with briniging them both back. The Players seem to love Chuck.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Grigs would just leave him alone and let him Coach and would Draft some O.Lineman and 1 Good Pass Rusher I would be ok with briniging them both back. The Players seem to love Chuck.

Grigson, IMO, should not have the power to dictate who plays, or choosing coaching staff. At least not unilateral power.

Just now, jet1968 said:

I just don't see any big eye popping upgrades out there for coach. GM on the other hand could definately be upgraded with anybody that has some offensive line knowledge. 

The more I think about it, I don't either. Chuck didn't have his full deck this season. When you lose your Ace in Andrew and still go 8-8 that actually isn't that bad. We were just in the AFC Title Game last season too.

2 minutes ago, Jcolt72 said:

Yes the players love Chuck, but was it the coaching or just themselves for coming out flat most of the time and getting blown out a few times each season?

Yes I would love a coach who doesn't get in our * when we get blown out. Or who keeps playing the same sorry * players like Toler even if they repeatedly stink up the joint. Players always love nice guys like Pagano. 

43 minutes ago, Dustin said:

No. He's painfully conservative and is pretty much the embodiment of a guy who learned everything he knows 30 years ago. This is a guy who punted the ball down 30 points in a playoff game. Who has probably never used a timeout aggressively in his tenure and has an outdated philosophical approach. 

Can't really argue any of that. All I can say is that he's adjusted as time has gone on, with more 4th downs, fakes, onsides, gotten away from the 'run the ball' mantra, etc. Doesn't mean he's improved as a strategist, though.

Before this year, he was really good on challenges... that's something, right? (grasping at straws)

1 hour ago, grmasterb said:

It could be that Irsay is working first to ensure he has a suitable replacement for Chuck. Might not want to ditch Chuck unless he knows he has his guy.

Somehow I doubt that. Irsay has to interview according to the Rooney rule and IMO if Chuck felt that what was going on he would walk.

4 minutes ago, 18Manning said:

Grigson, IMO, should not have the power to dictate who plays, or choosing coaching staff. At least not unilateral power.

Once again I agree with you. Maybe Irsay needs to tell him just to stick to personnel decisions and let Chuck Coach. Personnel as in Drafting players and trades to specify. When it come to Coaching and who plays, NO.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Pagano can stand on principle. If Irsay tells him to leave, he can go get his long term deal with a raise from another team. And I think everyone knows that. That's kind of endearing me to Pagano, despite his shortcomings. He obviously really wants to stay with the Colts.

I think so too after hearing him say he would fight to be the coach of the Colts.