Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No Announcement Tonight Per colts and 1070 (Merge)

bababooey

4 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

You hope Grigson stays despite all the awful personnel moves he's made?  Hmm.  I realize Colts fans are split about Pagano.  But I haven't run into too many people who defend Ryan Grigson, even if he wasn't micromanaging.

The guy is a former offensive lineman who apparently either doesn't realize how important an offensive line is to a football team or is inept at evaluating O linemen.

Grigson has to be among the candidates for worst GM in the league.

I'm ambivalent about Grigs to be honest.  I do think someone needs to the the goat and since everyone loves Chuck, Grigs is the obvious candidate.  And the lazy media has piled on.

He didn't build the Oline this year and made that trade for TRich, but he also got Vontae in a steal, drafted Mewhort, TY, etc.  I don't know what a good GMs batting average should be, but I don't think he's as bad as most are making him out to be (except for the meddling....if that is true).

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

I guess New Orleans want a 2nd round pick for Payton...I say NO....

The Raiders got two first and two seconds for Gruden, and he hadn't won a SB yet. A second for Payton is reasonable. 

Edit: And the Raiders got $8m in cash.

3 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I could be convinced the Colts have somebody already in the organization that would make for a good GM, but hadn't yet worked as a GM for any other team.  You have to start somewhere, after all.

The problem with Grigson isn't that he didn't have prior experience at being a GM.  The problem with Grigson is that he's not very good at being a GM.

Put it this way:  Grigson now has 4 years experience as an NFL GM.  If you owned a franchise, would you hire him as yours?

Big Fat NO

1 minute ago, cbear said:

I'm ambivalent about Grigs to be honest.  I do think someone needs to the the goat and since everyone loves Chuck, Grigs is the obvious candidate.  And the lazy media has piled on.

He didn't build the Oline this year and made that trade for TRich, but he also got Vontae in a steal, drafted Mewhort, TY, etc.  I don't know what a good GMs batting average should be, but I don't think he's as bad as most are making him out to be (except for the meddling....if that is true).

Yeah, I'm certainly not saying that each and every thing Grigson's done have been whiffs.  But I also don't think that all whiffs are created equal.

The two you mentioned -- having a suspect O-line and trading for Richardson -- seem like awfully big whiffs to me.  I don't think it's beyond the pale to say that Ryan Grigson bears some responsibility for Luck's injuries.  Why didn't we use the 1st round pick to beef up the line or fill critical holes on defense?  Nothing against Dorsett.  But it just wasn't our primary need -- and that seemed obvious at the time, and even moreso now.

Here's what I'd say about Grigson:  if he's fired, I strongly doubt another team would pick him up as their GM.  Shouldn't that say enough?

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I'm irritated with Indy media right now. They're moaning and complaining because they've been camped out in the media room all day, and now no decision is being made yet. Doesn't mean the situation is being handled poorly.

This. Just because we didn't do what everyone expected on Black Monday, considering we are in a much different position than Cleveland or NY or San Francisco we shouldn't be so quick to throw him away and then be mocked for it.

This CLEARLY suggests that Pagano is staying, that there is a complete disconnect between Grigson and Pagano, and that Pagano met with Irsay in private to unload all the Grigson dirt.  Because that's what you do when you are about to be fired, you unload and try to save your butt. Especially knowing that Pagano loves Indy, loves his players, and loves the organization.  This is all speculation on my part, but just a feeling due to the fact that nothing has happened. 

I do feel it is a mistake but a mistake fans and organization will have to live with.

Just now, pgt_rob said:

Anyone think that Irsay shot over another 1 year deal to Chuck and told him to give him an answer this week? That way it gives Chuck time to talk it over with his family and such. We will see. 

No, because the Colts still have to plan on interviewing other coaches.

Just now, Dustin said:

I look forward to a few more 30 point losses when Chuck returns

Let's say he comes back, but he hires a new, proficient DC. And let's say Grigson has a stroke of genius and fixes the OL and adds some nice defensive players. 

Are you still down on Pagano? Do you think he could get the job done?

Just now, Superman said:

Let's say he comes back, but he hires a new, proficient DC. And let's say Grigson has a stroke of genius and fixes the OL and adds some nice defensive players. 

Too many blowout losses. A new DC won't fix much. The defense needs more talent and less Toler.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

The Raiders got two first and two seconds for Gruden, and he hadn't won a SB yet. A second for Payton is reasonable. 

Edit: And the Raiders got $8m in cash.

I know.  I am not interested in Payton for a 2nd.  Just my opinion.  Thanks for telling me the info  I forgot what that deal was right after it happened. :).  

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Probably requires a new 4 year deal to get all that done, doesn't it?

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm irritated with Indy media right now. They're moaning and complaining because they've been camped out in the media room all day, and now no decision is being made yet. Doesn't mean the situation is being handled poorly.

I love how Irsay handled them - Like a Boss!!

I like how this day has turned out. 

Love him or hate him - Jim Irsay is calling the shots, and he is not afraid to let people know it. 

2 minutes ago, Dustin said:

An extra day won't hurt. Teams are only interviewing their obligatories -- Rooney Rule guys and interims -- right now. And Mike Shanahan, who I don't think the Colts are interested in.

3 minutes ago, Dustin said:

They do? I'm just guessing that Irsay and Chuck are discussing a deal and it has yet to be met. Which probably means that Irsay will not be interviewing other coaches at the moment unless Pagano falls through or if they drag it on too long. 

Just now, Superman said:

No. He's painfully conservative and is pretty much the embodiment of a guy who learned everything he knows 30 years ago. This is a guy who punted the ball down 30 points in a playoff game. Who has probably never used a timeout aggressively in his tenure and has an outdated philosophical approach. 

22 minutes ago, cbear said:

Not really.  Cleveland is a dysfunctional organization.  The Colts have been a very well run stable organization IMO.

Or, at least, they were when Bill Polian was here.

Of course, guys like Polian (or Ted Thompson, or Kevin Colbert, or Theo Epstein) are rare.  But I think they are great examples of how transformative a top-notch GM can be to a sports franchise.  Yes, it helps to win the lottery with players like Manning, Jim Kelly, and Aaron Rodgers.  But football is a team sport.

I don't know if retaining Pagano is the right decision or not.  I tend to defend him -- and I think it's because I really like him.  But what can't be denied is that we've had some serious roster issues.  And that's on the GM, not the coach.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't. Far as I can tell his best attribute as a coach is people like him. I don't think talent is an issue.  You don't beat some of the teams they have without talent.  

The problem is consistency and scheme, to me.

5 minutes ago, MTC said:

Too many blowout losses. A new DC won't fix much. The defense needs more talent and less Toler.

I agree the defense needs more talent, but the majority of blowouts have been more due to the offense than the defense...imo.  

Just now, Superman said:

Absolutely, and with at least some kind of raise from the reported $4.5m/year he's been making.

Hard to imagine getting to the place where you can justify that contract now when you couldn't last year...not saying its a mistake, just would be very surprised.