Defining Moment for Jim Irsay - It is time to listen to the fans

BlueShoe

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Pagano has been beloved in Indy ever since his battle for his life. We all felt that. 

The players love him and I have a feeling they are showing that love right now. Could be why Chuck is still a Colt.

I'm just saying that all this support pouring in for Chuck WAS NOT there as recently as midseason, and not a whole lot has changed since then.

Again, the Jets loved Rex after his GM Idzik railroaded him last year and they both got the boot. I think the Jets team from this year had the potential for more under Bowles than they would have under Rex. Everyone just gets graduation goggles when it looks like its the end.

1 minute ago, Corndog said:

Good points, I think the main point of all of this is if Pagano goes than there is no reason that Grigson should stay.  The fans seem to love Pagano, and more support him than Grigson.  This is all over social media and the standing ovation at the game yesterday would also support it.  But there is certainly a case to move on from Pagano.  It will be interesting to see how things play out.  

It depends.  I don't mind if Grigs stays as he has been an effective cap manager.  If the new coach were to have personnel decisions (with input from Grigson), and Grigson basically just played the accountant, then I wouldn't care if Grigson stayed.  I don't know if Grigs would wanna stay if that were the job responsibilities, but you want coaches coaching, perhaps making personnel decisions.  Throw in too many more responsibilities, and you run the risk of stretching him too thin.

24 minutes ago, csmopar said:

just a gut feeling here, but the longer today goes, the chances of Pagano's firing go down and Grigson's goes up, just a hunch, probably will be wrong

Interesting thought.  I think it's a bit strange to delay the inevitable until 4 unless something weird is happening or he's giving Pags a chance to talk to all his people (players / coaches).

Just now, chrisfarley said:

Interesting thought.  I think it's a bit strange to delay the inevitable until 4 unless something weird is happening or he's giving Pags a chance to talk to all his people (players / coaches).

my thoughts exactly, or it could just be the latter.  i just dont know

1 minute ago, chrisfarley said:

imagine if they give an extension to both Pagano and Grigson....this forum will BURN! haha

13 minutes ago, buck_hunter21 said:

Pags and Payton co-head coaches?

Lol good call. That would be if they fire both Grigson and Pagano. Personally, I don't mind Pags. I still think there's room for improvement but we could have worse.

On 1/4/2016 at 0:20 PM, BlueShoe said:

Owners should very seldom listen to the fans. However, there is that rare moment in history when an owner cannot see what fans do. Sometimes a person is just too close to the situation to fully understand what it looks like from afar.

This is the one time for Jim Irsay to open his sensors and listen to the fans. 

NFL owners have 2 people groups whereby they should listen to none of what they say (at a decision-making level) and evaluate only what they do....fans and players.

No exceptions for fans, some exceptions for players.

Just now, ztboiler said:

NFL owners have 2 people groups whereby they should listen to none of what they say (at a decision-making level) and evaluate only what they do....fans and players.

And even the exceptions for players you refer to will affect only thta player 99.9% of the time (i.e. renegotiated contract, trade, etc.).

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

Owners should very seldom listen to the fans. However, there is that rare moment in history when an owner cannot see what fans do. Sometimes a person is just too close to the situation to fully understand what it looks like from afar.

The Colts fans consensus is to keep Chuck Pagano and fire Ryan Grigson. And the fans have it right this time. If Chuck is included in the GM vetting process then keeping him will work.

The players are also starting to speak.

Make good choices Mr. Irsay. The Andrew Luck era is at stake with this one decision.

If you choose Grigson and he fails then you deserve all of the hell from fans that will surely come your way. Count me (Mr. Brightside for the past 30 years) as one who will publicly smear your decision to keep the inept Grigson around.

I think a very reasonable argument can be made for keeping Pagano.  Personally I like the continuity of him staying on.But a just as compelling debate can be made for letting him go.  But the absolute worst idea is for him to listen to the fans.  That is just a recipe for disaster.

5 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

I see wise one.

So who makes the decision on whether or not I extend my season tickets? Is Irsay going to comp me that? I did not realize this is how business worked. Does Irsay have the power to make the worst decisions in the NFL? Will he still have a large fan following? Will his franchise still be in the upper echelon?

Wow. Thank you. You have shown me the error in my ways.

Fans have no power. It is not our money that makes the Colts profitable.

32 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

This won't happen, but what if they offered for Chuck to stay but step down and become the DC. The players would still have him (in a sense) and we'd still get a new head coach. 

I doubt Chuck would do that though. 

Yes, i luv our defense.
 Can we schedule all of our games against the Titans?

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

LOL look, I may have my opinions on things and think I know more than I really do.  But at no point in time should any fan, knowledgeable or not, say that the owner should listen to the fans.  

That's how you end up with this:

JOHNNY.0.gif

Funniest * I`ve seen today! And concur that you don`t take advise from the fans. 

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

LOL look, I may have my opinions on things and think I know more than I really do.  But at no point in time should any fan, knowledgeable or not, say that the owner should listen to the fans.  

That's how you end up with this:

JOHNNY.0.gif

^ The long forgotten Eddie Pagano

On 1/4/2016 at 1:51 PM, BlueShoe said:

I see wise one.

So who makes the decision on whether or not I extend my season tickets? Is Irsay going to comp me that? I did not realize this is how business worked. Does Irsay have the power to make the worst decisions in the NFL? Will he still have a large fan following? Will his franchise still be in the upper echelon?

Wow. Thank you. You have shown me the error in my ways.

Fans have no power. It is not our money that makes the Colts profitable.

Easy there....you have the right to run your business for profit however you see fit.  I'm not in a position to evaluate your business knowledge or methods.  Best Wishes in that regard.

To the bolded - from my perspective - all of that falls into the category of customer purchasing behavior ie. "What they do".  Does the money flow....those are actions not words.

Go ahead, vote your pocketbook at this pivotal, historical low point for Colts fans nationwide whereby our experience of missing the playoffs for the second time since the 2001 season is less the 24 hours old.

On 1/4/2016 at 1:41 PM, OffensivelyPC said:

And even the exceptions for players you refer to will affect only thta player 99.9% of the time (i.e. renegotiated contract, trade, etc.).

I think many teams have a handful of players with authentic and trustworthy leadership character.  A wise owner would listen to their perspective as a data point.

3 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Easy there....you have the right to run your business for profit however you see fit.  I'm not in a position to evaluate your business knowledge or methods.  Best Wishes in that regard.

To the bolded - from my perspective - all of that falls into the category of customer purchasing behavior ie. "What they do".  Does the money flow....those are actions not words.

Go ahead, vote your pocketbook at this pivotal, historical low point for Colts fans nationwide whereby our experience of missing the playoffs for the second time since the 2001 season is less the 24 hours old.

Fans will and do vote with their money.

If Pagano goes onto Miami or wherever and wins Super Bowls, while the Colts continue to spiral downhill then bashings will be appropriately awarded.

By the way, everyone knows that having players like Manning and Luck - is mostly why we have had a good streak of making the playoffs. We only got those players because we were the worst team in the NFL twice over the past 17 years.

Personally...

1) Jim Irsay doesn't need to listen to fans.  In fact, he shouldn't listen to fans.  He may or may not do what fans want.  But he shouldn't take our opinions into consideration either way.

2) Is it really a "fan consensus" that Pagano be retained and Grigson fired?  Not sure about that.

3) I think Pagano should be retained and Grigson fired.  Grigson authored this mess -- particularly when he (reportedly) decided to overrule Pagano on what are supposed to be coaching decisions.

4) I'm not a huge Pagano backer.  But taking this team, with all its faults and key injuries, to 8-8, is no mean feat.

5) Whoever compared Polian to Grigson needs to have their head examined.  Bill Polian is one of the most successful GMs in NFL history -- and not only at Indianapolis.  Ryan Grigson is new to running NFL franchises, and obviously not very good at it (yet, anyway).

6) If Irsay does fire Pagano, I'd be excited to see either Sean Payton or Jon Gruden here.  Mike Shanahan, not so much.  Miami obviously wants him and they can have him.  I'd love even more to see Jim Harbaugh, but I don't think that's going to happen.

On 1/4/2016 at 2:12 PM, BlueShoe said:

Fans will and do vote with their money.

If Pagano goes onto Miami or wherever and wins Super Bowls, while the Colts continue to spiral downhill then bashings will be appropriately awarded.

By the way, everyone knows that having players like Manning and Luck - is mostly why we have had a good streak of making the playoffs. We only got those players because we were the worst team in the NFL twice over the past 17 years.

Decisions are made...risks are taken...the future is uncertain....and fans won't pay for futility forever.  All true.

Oh, and yes, we are probably the most fortunate "worst" team to have the first pick in the last 18 years.  Nobody is giving those picks back.

18 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

I think many teams have a handful of players with authentic and trustworthy leadership character.  A wise owner would listen to their perspective as a data point.

In situations like this, I agree with you, absolutely.  It might not sway Irsay's opinion one way or the other, but it will at the very least give Irsay an idea of what he wants to avoid with the next coach, regardless of whether Grigson stays.  I was just referring more to the "Owner should do X because this is what the players/fans want"  - as many have pointed out that is nonsense.  

2 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

The Colts fans consensus is to keep Chuck Pagano and fire Ryan Grigson. And the fans have it right this time. If Chuck is included in the GM vetting process then keeping him will work.

The players are also starting to speak.

Make good choices Mr. Irsay. The Andrew Luck era is at stake with this one decision.

If you choose Grigson and he fails then you deserve all of the hell from fans that will surely come your way. Count me (Mr. Brightside for the past 30 years) as one who will publicly smear your decision to keep the inept Grigson around.

You don't speak for everyone.

1 hour ago, ztboiler said:

Is Andrew Luck one of them?