Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck has been playing with fractured ribs?

oldunclemark

They didn't disclose he even had neck surgery until they got their tickets sold.

That's shady IMO.

They have no obligation to tell the public during the off-season that a player had surgery.  There was also no reason to tell people because at the time they thought he would be back for the start of the season.  By the time they found out another major surgery was needed tickets had long been sold.  

With that said though I remember hearing that summer on the news Manning had surgery and should be ready for the start of the season. It was a ho hum news story.  So they did tell people just no one worried about it because the expectations from everyone was Manning would be ready to go by the start of the year. 

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have no obligation to tell the public during the off-season that a player had surgery. There was also no reason to tell people because at the time they thought he would be back for the start of the season. By the time they found out another major surgery was needed tickets had long been sold.

With that said though I remember hearing that summer on the news Manning had surgery and should be ready for the start of the season. It was a ho hum news story. So they did tell people just no one worried about it because the expectations from everyone was Manning would be ready to go by the start of the year.

Do you honestly believe the Colts didn't know everything they needed to know about their most important player in franchise history?

Do you honestly believe the Colts didn't know everything they needed to know about their most important player in franchise history?

Well since Bob Kravitz (who had more coverage than anyone regarding the whole situation and talked to Manning personally when he called him out of the blue about it) said Manning was told he needed a second surgery because he wasn't healing right from the first one he had it the next day I do think they didn't know he was going to miss as much time as he did until then.  By that point tickets had long been sold.  Up to that point they had expected him to be back by the start of the season.  As camp went along it started to come out he might miss a month of the season at most and they signed Kerry Collins.  Even by that point tickets had been sold. 

Luck looks to be about 50%.

I don't think 50% Luck is as good as MH.

The Colts were very secretive and I believe shady with the Manning neck situation. They waited until they sold all their tickets to say he wasn't going to play, then waited until they sold their season tickets to say they were releasing him the next season.

I'm disappointed with the Colts right now TBH.

Luck looks to be about 50%.

I don't think 50% Luck is as good as MH.

The Colts were very secretive and I believe shady with the Manning neck situation. They waited until they sold all their tickets to say he wasn't going to play, then waited until they sold their season tickets to say they were releasing him the next season.

I'm disappointed with the Colts right now TBH.

Completely untrue on the second part. Manning was released before the draft. Season tickets are on sale into June.

Jay Glazer has a good track record. Doesn't mean he's right, but he has credibility. The NFL will investigate, and if they find that the Colts withheld significant injury information, then the Colts will be penalized. 

Glazer is about as good as you get in-terms of NFL insiders.  I remember when he had the Favre retirement story (the original time) he held it until he had it confirmed by two other people outside of the original person who told him and he still tends to be first.  So while he could be wrong like you said based on his credibility I trust Glazer when he reports things. 

Completely untrue on the second part. Manning was released before the draft. Season tickets are on sale into June.

He's talking about the year Manning missed, not the year he was released.  Either way, the Colts honestly didn't know Manning was going to miss the entire season until the end of the pre-season.  Up until that point they expected him to be ready to go for the start of the season or miss a month at most. 

He's talking about the year Manning missed, not the year he was released. Either way, the Colts honestly didn't know Manning was going to miss the entire season until the end of the pre-season. Up until that point they expected him to be ready to go for the start of the season or miss a month at most.

I'll agree to disagree with the hope that I am wrong and you are correct.

Glazer is about as good as you get in-terms of NFL insiders.  I remember when he had the Favre retirement story (the original time) he held it until he had it confirmed by two other people outside of the original person who told him and he still tends to be first.  So while he could be wrong like you said based on his credibility I trust Glazer when he reports things. 

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2015/11/01/report-indianapolis-colts-qb-andrew-luck-dealing-broken-ribs/75001308/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000570049/article/andrew-luck-reportedly-suffered-fractured-ribs

The rule says that teams have to report 'significant and noteworthy' injuries, whether or not the player misses practice or is expected to miss games.. There's some grey area there. Does the injury have to be both significant AND noteworthy? Who determines whether it's either, or both? That can be subjective, but you could probably argue that fractured ribs for your starting QB is both, no matter the degree of the fracture(s). 

The NFL.com link says that the Colts have previously been in contact with the league about Luck's injury status, so it's unclear exactly what's going on, or what has been going on.

To me, if Luck has or had a fractured rib, or ribs, it should have been on the injury report. I find it hard to believe that the Colts would break this rule, but we'll see what comes of the NFL's investigation.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2015/11/01/report-indianapolis-colts-qb-andrew-luck-dealing-broken-ribs/75001308/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000570049/article/andrew-luck-reportedly-suffered-fractured-ribs

The rule says that teams have to report 'significant and noteworthy' injuries, whether or not the player misses practice or is expected to miss games.. There's some grey area there. Does the injury have to be both significant AND noteworthy? Who determines whether it's either, or both? That can be subjective, but you could probably argue that fractured ribs for your starting QB is both, no matter the degree of the fracture(s). 

The NFL.com link says that the Colts have previously been in contact with the league about Luck's injury status, so it's unclear exactly what's going on, or what has been going on.

To me, if Luck has or had a fractured rib, or ribs, it should have been on the injury report. I find it hard to believe that the Colts would break this rule, but we'll see what comes of the NFL's investigation.

I am not saying anything in terms of the injury report I was just saying unlike some other NFL Insiders Glazer is usually right and I think he's right in terms of Luck having broken ribs. 

That makes a heap o' sense.

Changed throwing motion, panicked look against the blitz, lack of focus on coverage because he's worrying about being hit.

I'd maybe think about playing Hass and letting him heal properly. No point in potentially damaging our QB long term for the sake of a down season where the prospect of a deep playoff run seems like a pipe dream. Especially when we have a competent backup who can win games.

Andrew has looked good with a clean pocket IMO.

He's just made some really dumb decisions.

He hasn't progressed in decision making at all and it's mostly good fault.

He knows what he does is wrong by continues to make the same mistakes. He cannot allow himself to try and be the whole team.

From where I sit,  and from the Luck that I've watched since he arrived at Stanford............

Luck does not look close to 100% physically......

And Luck does not look close to 100% mentally.

When a player with Luck's physical and mental skills  is playing this badly,  there are good solid reasons for it.

But they've been listed here for weeks and weeks.     It's not one of them.    It's all of them.

I honestly believe if Polian didn't think Manning would not play in 2011, he would not have waited until the last minute to find a replacement starter QB. He knew Painter wasn't it and the one he got last minute, Kerry Collins, was too old, too washed up, and too unfamiliar with the playbook to give us a chance.  and Painter was worse.  It took most of the season and rewrite of the playbook to allow Dan Orlovsky the ability to get a win or two.  Then everyone lost their jobs at the end of the season.

No, I don't think they expected the worst, just kept hoping for the best.  And it didn't happen.  At least Grigson had MH in the background, in waiting just in case.

For the last several hours I've been trying to find out what the real deal is on Luck. To tell the truth, this is one of the few times I haven't been able to gather anything. And, I mean anything. Zero, zip, nada. So, in essence, Glazer's info on the fractured rib(s) likely came from a source that seems to be exclusive and most valuable. The info I gathered from across the country via contacts was just as a surprise when I first read it here on the forum. Many had no clue. If the info is out there (Glazer), it's locked up tighter than Dick Tracy's hatband. Just as I stated earlier, it's the organization's responsibility to release this officially. The ball is in their court. To me, I would hope that the Colts relegated any stance as a strategical outlay all within the rules and regs of the NFL.

Remember also, with regards to the Manning situation...2011 was the spring/summer of the lockout. Teams were forbidden from talking to their players. That made it a heck of a lot harder to know how Manning was progressing. It was all through heresay and back channel reports.

I'm don't know who I'm more disappointed in: The organization or the apologetic Colts fans who keep acting like all of this Is normal.

So either they hid the injury or the medical staff missed something. I've had about enough of this stuff.

Its pretty ridiculous. We can drag deflategate out for like half a year but this is just "what everyone does"... (rolls eyes)

I honestly believe if Polian didn't think Manning would not play in 2011, he would not have waited until the last minute to find a replacement starter QB. He knew Painter wasn't it and the one he got last minute, Kerry Collins, was too old, too washed up, and too unfamiliar with the playbook to give us a chance.  and Painter was worse.  It took most of the season and rewrite of the playbook to allow Dan Orlovsky the ability to get a win or two.  Then everyone lost their jobs at the end of the season.

No, I don't think they expected the worst, just kept hoping for the best.  And it didn't happen.  At least Grigson had MH in the background, in waiting just in case.

It would do some well to go back through the timeline.

Manning had two surgeries that offseason, one in late May, and another, more invasive procedure in September, after giving him a $26m signing bonus. So the Colts either kept Manning from getting the second operation because they wanted to sell more season tickets, or he had the second operation earlier, and he and the Colts lied about it until September, well after season tickets had been sold out.

And this is all during a lockout, when contact between teams and players was limited by league rules. So if the Colts and Manning were in cahoots, not only did they lie about his status, they also had non-sanctioned contact during a lockout. 

That's to say nothing of the lack of a backup plan at QB, as you've mentioned above. If the Colts had ANY indication that Manning would need another surgery, they would have done more about a backup QB, and they would have structured Manning's contract differently, or just left him on the franchise tag and saved over $10m.

And all this for a team that had sold out season tickets with no problem for the previous decade, and had a waiting list with well over 10,000 prospective season ticket holders.

Quite the conspiracy. And based on nothing but a mistaken idea.

Its pretty ridiculous. We can drag deflategate out for like half a year but this is just "what everyone does"... (rolls eyes)

You mean that deal with material evidence, with a $5m investigation and a 243 page report?

Either the Colts violated the rules or they didn't. Has nothing to do with Deflategate, and there's pretty much zero similarity between the two situations.

A rare disagreement for us......

I find it easy to believe we'd break the rule.     The fines for breaking the rule are chump change.    The GM's who broke the rule were docked about $20k in the recent past.   That's nothing.     And I think Grigson would violate that rule and pay that fine gladly to keep Lucks rib injury a secret.

And, if need be,  I think Luck would fall on the sword for the team.    If it's true about the ribs, he'll tell investigators that he didn't tell anyone about them and they didn't know.

Of course,  arguing against my point,  Luck would have to explain X-rays which should show fractured ribs,  and I have no idea how Luck would explain that.....?

I can appreciate toughness and playing through injury, but perhaps it's best to bench Luck and let him heal up. Hasselbeck played pretty well when given the chance, so I think we still have a shot to win games with him as our QB. Give Luck more time to rest and heal up[/quote

I totally agree he shoudn't be out there he need to heal up first.

Anyone want to go in with me on some protection for Andrew?

Schutt Hard Shell Football Rib Vest

schutt-hard-shell-football-rib-vest.jpg

I don't know about the brand and the model,  but I think Luck has been wearing rib protectors since he came to the NFL.

Of course, I easily could be wrong,   but it's always looked that way to me.....

I don't know about the brand and the model,  but I think Luck has been wearing rib protectors since he came to the NFL.

Of course, I easily could be wrong,   but it's always looked that way to me.....

Guess it wasn't enough....maybe we need to step it up a notch with our o-line....

d2c38c6c712d27b3935f9b83c37c9e58.jpg

Fines, but possibly losing a draft pick. Brilliant!

We've got to take the hit, though, if the Colts violated the rules.  It's part of it, especially if we expect other teams (the Patriots) to follow the rules-it means Indy has to as well.  

My question would be, who was responsible for the failure to report-if that indeed did happen as speculated?  Whose decision was it?

a lot of QBs play with a rib protector at all times even if their ribs aren't hurt.

You mean that deal with material evidence, with a $5m investigation and a 243 page report?

Either the Colts violated the rules or they didn't. Has nothing to do with Deflategate, and there's pretty much zero similarity between the two situations.

Exactly. I also wonder-- and if this is in some of the discussion and I missed it, I apologize-- but do we know for a fact that there's a specification that it has to be spelled out on the injury report for the public vs. reported to the league as part of the injury report? I know for a fact that at least four or five years ago there was a much longer form report than what we see on TV. The team doesn't just say "questionable: foot," when asked by the league (they explain what is wrong).  It's possible that disclosing the shoulder injury, by technically, covers it all. I can see it being logical to not spell out "separated shoulder and cracked ribs" because that sort of telegraphs to a defender where to hit him. 

I doubt we'd risk a draft pick to be deceptive when we were already listing Luck as hurt. But... maybe? If we did, I'll be ashamed of us. 

Fines, but possibly losing a draft pick. Brilliant!

I doubt that a draft pick would be at stake for something like this. Most precedents point to fines for this type of infraction. But if so then so be it. Colts aren't above the rules. Could be more fodder for getting Griggs out of here.

Jay Glazer has a good track record. Doesn't mean he's right, but he has credibility. The NFL will investigate, and if they find that the Colts withheld significant injury information, then the Colts will be penalized.

He also claims to have possession of a Spygate tape I believe so there's that.

A rare disagreement for us......

I find it easy to believe we'd break the rule.     The fines for breaking the rule are chump change.    The GM's who broke the rule were docked about $20k in the recent past.   That's nothing.     And I think Grigson would violate that rule and pay that fine gladly to keep Lucks rib injury a secret.

And, if need be,  I think Luck would fall on the sword for the team.    If it's true about the ribs, he'll tell investigators that he didn't tell anyone about them and they didn't know.

Of course,  arguing against my point,  Luck would have to explain X-rays which should show fractured ribs,  and I have no idea how Luck would explain that.....?

I don't see how it benefits the Colts to keep his rib injury a secret. Players get hurt in the NFL, including franchise QBs. They put him on the injury report for three weeks anyways, so what difference does it make whether it's a shoulder, ribs, or both?

Also, the team can be stripped of draft picks if they lie on an injury report, and that's at the NFL's discretion. It can be more than just a petty fine.

I doubt that a draft pick would be at stake for something like this. Most precedents point to fines for this type of infraction. But if so then so be it. Colts aren't above the rules. Could be more fodder for getting Griggs out of here.

Yes I remember Favre off the top of my head and there was one more recently that were small fines, less than the 100K the jets had to pay last year for tampering in the Revis situation. Still, insanely stupid and embarrassing for the Colts to do this if it's true.

Exactly. I also wonder-- and if this is in some of the discussion and I missed it, I apologize-- but do we know for a fact that there's a specification that it has to be spelled out on the injury report for the public vs. reported to the league as part of the injury report? I know for a fact that at least four or five years ago there was a much longer form report than what we see on TV. The team doesn't just say "questionable: foot," when asked by the league (they explain what is wrong).  It's possible that disclosing the shoulder injury, by technically, covers it all. I can see it being logical to not spell out "separated shoulder and cracked ribs" because that sort of telegraphs to a defender where to hit him. 

I doubt we'd risk a draft pick to be deceptive when we were already listing Luck as hurt. But... maybe? If we did, I'll be ashamed of us. 

From the link:

The NFL’s 2015 injury report policy reads: “All players with significant or noteworthy injuries must be listed on the report, even if the player takes all the reps in practice, and even if the team is certain that he will play in the upcoming game. This is especially true of key players and those players whose injuries have been covered extensively by the media. This policy is of paramount importance in maintaining the integrity of the game.”