Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck has been playing with fractured ribs?

oldunclemark

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how it benefits the Colts to keep his rib injury a secret. Players get hurt in the NFL, including franchise QBs. They put him on the injury report for three weeks anyways, so what difference does it make whether it's a shoulder, ribs, or both?

Also, the team can be stripped of draft picks if they lie on an injury report, and that's at the NFL's discretion. It can be more than just a petty fine.

Has the league ever docked picks for injury report inaccuracies?

I don't see how it benefits the Colts to keep his rib injury a secret. Players get hurt in the NFL, including franchise QBs. They put him on the injury report for three weeks anyways, so what difference does it make whether it's a shoulder, ribs, or both?

Also, the team can be stripped of draft picks if they lie on an injury report, and that's at the NFL's discretion. It can be more than just a petty fine.

I think ribs are an easier target to hit.    Easier to re-injure.

I could see the Colts trying to keep Andrew's ribs a secret.  

To be clear,  I'm NOT saying this is what we're doing.    I don't have a clue.    I'm only saying I could see this happening.     If I'm wrong,  and I easily could be,  then so be it...

The more information that comes out is just more ammo to discourage my support for this team. This team has "lucked" into the greatest QB to ever play and a young QB who has tools to be a great one and they waste it with horrible selfish GMs, deer in the headlight coaches, and now shady dealings with the rules.

Honestly something better change. Fast for me to even want to continue supporting this team. It's like we want to be the shady Patriots but with a way more inept staff.

You don't lose draft picks for not being truthful on the injury report. If that were the case the patriots would have zero picks most years

That's not the point. If our GM has the audacity to call out the Patriots for ball inflation then he better at the very least follow the rules the whole year after. If he's "willing" to take the penalty for breaking the rule then wth was he doing calling another team out for rule breaking? Pot meet kettle much.

And honestly quite classless.

You don't lose draft picks for not being truthful on the injury report. If that were the case the patriots would have zero picks most years

They abuse it but what they do is legal. They got in trouble once so now they put every person on it every week. Legal but dumb. What we did was illegal, I doubt draft picks but would expect a 5 figure fine

That's not the point. If our GM has the audacity to call out the Patriots for ball inflation then he better at the very least follow the rules the whole year after. If he's "willing" to take the penalty for breaking the rule then wth was he doing calling another team out for rule breaking? Pot meet kettle much.

And honestly quite classless.

I think you may be over reacting a bit. We don't really have any information on what was reported

I think you may be over reacting a bit. We don't really have any information on what was reported

I don't have my head in the sand. These are paid professionals and have total knowledge of what they are doing. When there is smoke there's fire. Just like when the ball deflation stuff happened with the Patriots oh did everyone wait then when stuff was confirmed? Lol no they called them out like they should because very rarely in the NFL is there a case of smoke with no fire. The Colts are not somehow magically above this.

I don't know about the brand and the model,  but I think Luck has been wearing rib protectors since he came to the NFL.

Of course, I easily could be wrong,   but it's always looked that way to me.....

he wears the same things as Peyton Manning.  I believe that's where he got the idea.  (chest padding and leg brace)

I don't have my head in the sand. These are paid professionals and have total knowledge of what they are doing. When there is smoke there's fire. Just like when the ball deflation stuff happened with the Patriots oh did everyone wait then when stuff was confirmed? Lol no they called them out like they should because very rarely in the NFL is there a case of smoke with no fire. The Colts are not somehow magically above this.

Where was it confirmed that the Colts falsified their injury reports?

If they are found to have done this, then they will be punished accordingly.

The league is going to look into to it. I'm not going to worry about something only one reporter is talking about. Jay is very good, but he has gotten bad info in the past

They abuse it but what they do is legal. They got in trouble once so now they put every person on it every week. Legal but dumb. What we did was illegal, I doubt draft picks but would expect a 5 figure fine

The question is....is this report true? I've seen nothing but speculation and there is evidence that Luck went to multiple doctors and the team consulted the NFL when he was injured......I don't see how multiple doctors would miss broken ribs or why the team wouldn't report it with him being out 2 games anyway. Makes little sense.

In all honesty I've never been a fan of injury reports. Seems like it's only there for Vegas' benefit.

I get the idea of having something in place to keep teams from forcing players to go out and play injured but really it's to the detriment of the team to do that. If there is something going on where the team is forcing players to play hurt then I think that should be taken up with the NFLPA.

Otherwise you're advertising to opposing teams where to hit.

Still though, rules are rules. If the Colts are guilty then they should pay the fine. Doubtful it goes any further than that considering we're relatively off the league's radar when it comes to shady injury reports.

This may be the thing that makes Irsay begin to question (if he hasn't already) Grigs job.  One thing you don't do is jeopardize your main investment.  You can bet that Irsay is looking at the Pats and envious of how Brady can stand all day long and throw to who ever he wants.

Football teams and players think differently than fans do especially ones who are coaching and playing for their jobs.  Look, Luck having broken ribs is not good, however in the NFL it is perfectly normal for players to play with broken ribs.  Also, while some fans are ready to give up on this season the coaches AND players are not and nor should they, in all likely hood this team is going to the playoffs.

I don't want to see us do anything that is going to jeopardize Andrews career. i was under the impression the offensive line was improving, but after last game they appeared just as disastrerous as ever. A Monday night prime time game in Carolina against an undefeated ferocious Panther defense is not going to be pretty.

Sorry thought you meant when they put everyone as questionable since he got in trouble for failing to list someone once a long time ago. This link seems like a couple time thing, not most years like you originally said which is why I thought you meant when they list everyone on it even though everyone's gonna play.

I mean, yes, the Colts will most likely make the post season, but games like the one we had last week really have you scratching your head as to how much these guys believe in what their doing and how determined and focused they are. This just doesn't seem like the chemistry of a team built for any playoff run that I've ever seen. They don't prepare well and they are sloppy as all hell on the field. The play calling just appears to be trial and error. I'm disappointed with this team so now I guess isn't the time to ask me about the playoffs I guess...

Some people seem to be looking for reasons to not like the Colts anymore.

Media hates us that's for sure. You'd think all we had to do was win one SB in the last four years and you'd have kids all over the country walking around in Luck jerseys instead of Wilson.

Exactly. I also wonder-- and if this is in some of the discussion and I missed it, I apologize-- but do we know for a fact that there's a specification that it has to be spelled out on the injury report for the public vs. reported to the league as part of the injury report? I know for a fact that at least four or five years ago there was a much longer form report than what we see on TV. The team doesn't just say "questionable: foot," when asked by the league (they explain what is wrong).  It's possible that disclosing the shoulder injury, by technically, covers it all. I can see it being logical to not spell out "separated shoulder and cracked ribs" because that sort of telegraphs to a defender where to hit him. 

I doubt we'd risk a draft pick to be deceptive when we were already listing Luck as hurt. But... maybe? If we did, I'll be ashamed of us. 

It's pretty comprehensive what must be disclosed, even in game injuries.They have to disclose the what and where, not how much. And the list player as probable, questionable, or out. here's an exerpt from the Operations Manual.

http://operations.nfl.com/updates/football-ops/2015-nfl-injury-report-policy/

Violations will result in a fine for the team, fines and/or suspensions of the individuals involved, and the possible loss of draft picks.

Some teams have received 20k fines, and I believe some coaches 25k previously

In all honesty I've never been a fan of injury reports. Seems like it's only there for Vegas' benefit.

I get the idea of having something in place to keep teams from forcing players to go out and play injured but really it's to the detriment of the team to do that. If there is something going on where the team is forcing players to play hurt then I think that should be taken up with the NFLPA.

Otherwise you're advertising to opposing teams where to hit.

Still though, rules are rules. If the Colts are guilty then they should pay the fine. Doubtful it goes any further than that considering we're relatively off the league's radar when it comes to shady injury reports.

It's also an integrity of the game issue, one of which is to keep Vegas insiders cozying up to players/coaches on inside info for and edge in betting, or influencing game time playing decisions.  Mike Florio thinks there's no wiggle room for Colts if is proven Luck has broken ribs and it wasn't reported, even it it didn't keep him out of any games...

“All players with significant or noteworthy injuries must be listed on the report, even if the player takes all the reps in practice, and even if the team is certain that he will play in the upcoming game,” the league’s policy regarding injury reports states. “This is especially true of key players and those players whose injuries have been covered extensively by the media. This policy is of paramount importance in maintaining the integrity of the game.”

I guess we will see what comes of it soon enough...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/01/injury-reporting-rules-leave-little-wiggle-room-for-colts/

My guess is Colts will get fined if Luck does indeed have broken ribs.

In the NFL there is smoke and fire that is pure illusion. Fires that people think you should accept as real but when examined it is determined to be nothing of the sort. The deflate gate fire and all the Smokey talk that went along with it was determined by a court to have no substance or lacking in enough substance. After seeing how that played out im curious how you could be so quick to say these reports are undisputed gospel truth or very close to it? Paid professionals have proven to be wrong before and we all know this so why not wait for the truth to be confirmed unless you have some other agenda.

I don't want to see us do anything that is going to jeopardize Andrews career. i was under the impression the offensive line was improving, but after last game they appeared just as disastrerous as ever. A Monday night prime time game in Carolina against an undefeated ferocious Panther defense is not going to be pretty.

If that's the case never play him because on any play he could get hurt.  Again, players play with broken ribs all the time in the NFL and are fine.  Teams know how to give them added protection to minimize the chance of something worse happening. 

If that's the case never play him because on any play he could get hurt.  Again, players play with broken ribs all the time in the NFL and are fine.  Teams know how to give them added protection to minimize the chance of something worse happening. 

I agree with this post, but our staff hasn't done a good job of giving Luck added protection. The play calling and gameplans and going away from the run have proven that.

I agree with this post, but our staff hasn't done a good job of giving Luck added protection. The play calling and gameplans and going away from the run have proven that.

I guess I should be clear when I say added protection I meant things like rib protectors.  Play calling is another story.  The thing I might dislike about Pep the most is the fact if the Colts are down at all he stops calling the run.  It doesn't matter if they are down 1 or 30 or anywhere in between. 

romo is injury prone has been awhile luck is actually taking hits non stop there is a big difference

Point is, injuries can happen anytime. Sure a good offensive line helps lower your chances, but doesn't guarantee you'll be injury free like some people are making it seem

Luck could take the snap tomorrow in the rain and slip and tear his ACL. Would that be the offensive line's fault? No. It's a violent sport, injuries are gonna happen regardless

Well, I'm no Jay Glazer but after the Titans game I said here that I don't believe Luck has an injured shoulder at all. Based on his reaction to Hasselbeck's tap on his chest I wrongly thought that it was his pectoral muscle but ribs makes sense too.

Anyway, I never bought the shoulder injury, and I'm glad it's not his shoulder, but rib injury is concerning as well.

Point is, injuries can happen anytime. Sure a good offensive line helps lower your chances, but doesn't guarantee you'll be injury free like some people are making it seem

Luck could take the snap tomorrow in the rain and slip and tear his ACL. Would that be the offensive line's fault? No. It's a violent sport, injuries are gonna happen regardless

true we all know this but you and others stupid comment of ask romo holds no merit cause he's injury prone

I can't say what the severity of other players rib injuries were, but if the guy is clearly impaired and ailing on the field (which he most certainly has been), why the hell are you going to allow him to heal? Better yet, why are they not taking measures to ensure this "Added protection" is there for him? I don't see any of it. I see a guy struggling mightily and play calling that is exacerbating the situation, not improving it. 

I can't say what the severity of other players rib injuries were, but if the guy is clearly impaired and ailing on the field (which he most certainly has been), why the hell are you going to keep playing him? Better yet, why are they not taking measures to ensure this "Added protection" is there for him? I don't see any of it. I see a guy struggling mightily and play calling that is exacerbating the situation, not improving it. 

Well if they aren't going to tell you he had broken ribs they aren't going to tell you hey he's wearing a rib protector and some added padded.  Just because they aren't telling us doesn't mean they aren't doing it.

As for the play calling I agree on that part.  That has to improve as does Luck's decision making.  A lot of the Saints game looked like Luck was just thinking too much than it looked like something physical was wrong. That doesn't mean the injury didn't play a part in that, but it looks like it's between his ears right now too. 

As for why they are playing him they clearly feel like he's healthy enough to play and that he still gives them their best chance to win.  Rather that's right or not could be a different story. 

Well, I'm no Jay Glazer but after the Titans game I said here that I don't believe Luck has an injured shoulder at all. Based on his reaction to Hasselbeck's tap on his chest I wrongly thought that it was his pectoral muscle but ribs makes sense too.

Anyway, I never bought the shoulder injury, and I'm glad it's not his shoulder, but rib injury is concerning as well.

I don't think an injury to his ribs means he never had a shoulder injury.  Glazers report said it was both.  Unless you mean you think his shoulder has healed which could very well be true.

Run the Patriots offense. Dink & Dunk. No deep routes. Basically that same offense we ran with Hasselbeck. Only deep throw I remember him taking was the Hilton catch vs Houston to seal the game

I'm not sure if they have the ability to run a Patriots style O based heavily of YAC. I think I remember hearing on Grady and Big Joe that the Colts were ranked 27th in YAC. That being said, I'd rather see them try vs utilize the garbage 5-7 step drop backs. I have no idea how effective the Colts would be trying to run a similar style O to the Patriots, especially if Luck is fudged up.