Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck has been playing with fractured ribs?

oldunclemark

ATTN: don't bring deflategate into this.  We've discussed that plenty here and if you want to discuss that more feel free to use google to find another place to do so

Can we call this Ribgate? lol...I joke.

All seriousnous I'm very dissappointed in Grigson. What is the difference between releasing he had fractured ribs and he had a shoulder injury....both are serious enough to keep him out and both not so serious that he couldn't play with them.  I do think he was trying to throw off our divisional foes by making them think he would play.  I've lost a ton of respect for Ryan on that one.  I tell you we are very close to just cleaning house this year and starting over....I don't have very many on my Christmas card list....just a bunch of guys getting a lump of coal.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All seriousnous I'm very dissappointed in Grigson. What is the difference between releasing he had fractured ribs and he had a shoulder injury....both are serious enough to keep him out and both not so serious that he couldn't play with them. I do think he was trying to throw off our divisional foes by making them think he would play. I've lost a ton of respect for Ryan on that one. I tell you we are very close to just cleaning house this year and starting over....I don't have very many on my Christmas card list....just a bunch of guys getting a lump of coal.

I highly doubt he had/has fractured ribs. Maybe bruised ribs. I've had fractured ribs, it's tough trying to breath, I couldn't imagine trying to play football

All seriousnous I'm very dissappointed in Grigson. What is the difference between releasing he had fractured ribs and he had a shoulder injury....both are serious enough to keep him out and both not so serious that he couldn't play with them.  I do think he was trying to throw off our divisional foes by making them think he would play.  I've lost a ton of respect for Ryan on that one.  I tell you we are very close to just cleaning house this year and starting over....I don't have very many on my Christmas card list....just a bunch of guys getting a lump of coal.

Can understand your frustration, dgambill. Really can. You said in the above, "...we are very close to just cleaning house this year and starting over..."

Tonight's game is the most pivotal one I can remember in a long time that pertains to your statement. This is, IMO, a make or break game for the Colts. I hope I'm wrong about this, as we have many more games to play after tonight. With all the hoop-la circling this team right now, it stands to reason that a W would go a long way to start picking up the pieces. That would be a huge shot in the arm towards salvaging the season. A loss would throw more monkeys into the wrench and would more than likely put us severely behind the eight ball. After this game, it's 4-4 or 3-5, and looking right down the barrel of Denver, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, (Tampa Bay played well yesterday), then later on with Miami. Not to mention our divisional games left in which you never know 100%.

Time to make this push NOW! Later on just may tend to be too little, too late, even if we win the division and/or get to the Playoffs. Mojo is everything along with playing well and establishing a winning morale.

Curious, DW.  You're "not calling anybody out on this...just that..." but I'm a "pie" of crap for posting my opinion that he hurt his ribs in week one?  So are you calling me out and not the others?  Or was it just that I was the source you requested (when my original post made it clear it was solely my opinion). 

Really the answer is quite simple. What I was saying is that I was not trying to make am "issue" of when Luck was hurt. I had read in 2-3 places that he may have also injured ribs when he sustained the shoulder injury. So i stated that I 'wasn't calling anyone out " as is often the case when someone ask for a source. I really was just asking if you had possibly read so done that was actually of that opinion. That would explain why Luck was pretty bad in those first 2 games. You obviously took offense to my post despite the fact that all I wanted to know if this was just an opinion or if it came from a team mate or someone close to the team.If you had said in your original post that this was "just your opinion" , I would have never asked the follow up question that I did. I also did not call you a pile of crap. What i said was your obvious bad reaction to me asking if there was a source to Luck being hurt in game 1 was the pile of crap.

Can understand your frustration, dgambill. Really can. You said in the above, "...we are very close to just cleaning house this year and starting over..."

Tonight's game is the most pivotal one I can remember in a long time that pertains to your statement. This is, IMO, a make or break game for the Colts. I hope I'm wrong about this, as we have many more games to play after tonight. With all the hoop-la circling this team right now, it stands to reason that a W would go a long way to start picking up the pieces. That would be a huge shot in the arm towards salvaging the season. A loss would throw more monkeys into the wrench and would more than likely put us severely behind the eight ball. After this game, it's 4-4 or 3-5, and looking right down the barrel of Denver, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, (Tampa Bay played well yesterday), then later on with Miami. Not to mention our divisional games left in which you never know 100%.

Time to make this push NOW! Later on just may tend to be too little, too late, even if we win the division and/or get to the Playoffs. Mojo is everything along with playing well and establishing a winning morale.

I agree...tonight and next week are HUGE. If we go 3-6 into our buy (shudder) then I could see a us making some changes in the bye week. I also believe if we have another embarrassing performace in prime time as the next two games are likely to be Irsay is going to be compelled to do something. Its a tough stretch..no doubt...I think we have better teams then a few of those guys honestly (even though we aren't playing like it). To me we are better than Carolina, Atlanta, Pittsburg, and Tampa Bay...and we play Denver well so no reason we shouldn't expect to win all those games...but if this turns south...Irsay can't afford for it to get ugly...he will be compelled to make changes as he has to expect better from us.  It is now or never...and we need that sense of urgency. I honestly expect a huge game from us tonight...I really am. I will be very dissappointed in a loss.

you can but it makes me want a sandwich

and then I feel creepy about it

can we call it injurygate instead?

Montgomery Inn Ribs, Cincinnati, Ohio. Best ribs in the entire world. On a sandwich? Killer! Daggone it, Nadine. Now I'm gonna have to go get some in the next few days. It'll be on my mind (and my tastebuds) for quite a while, if I don't.

:)

It's a Vegas insider thing from what I've read. It's to prevent collusion amongst teams and betters so there's nothing to hide. Integrity of the game as well.

That is exactly it. The integrity of the game would be severely compromised if teams weren't required to disclose injuries. If Luck is more banged up than is being reported, then Colts insiders who know the "real deal" (if in fact this is true) have valuable proprietary information that those who gamble for a living would pay money to be privvy to. Once you introduce that element, you have problems.

Thanks guys, but who cares about the "integrity" of gamblers and organized crime unless you have a league stake in protecting gamblers, which you shouldn't. I think the opposite is actually true, the league has openly public rules that suggest "we're more concerned about protecting an accurate betting line than the health of our players, who, over the history of the league, have suffered because they have to expose, in detail, their weakest most injured parts of their bodies allowing opposing teams who are so motivated to target those areas, all for what?  So that they can keep the integrity of the gambling underworld accurate? Think about it.  And the fact that the NFL and other leagues are embracing gambling beyond even Fantasy at this moment as are the other major sports leagues, the corruption threat is FAR more serious by being complicit in HELPING gamblers when it shouldn't be the least of their concern....unless they have some vested interest in GAMBLING results. 

Does the NFL show similar concern for other industries or illicit and even illegal (in many jurisdictions) activities?  Do they worry that their Drug policies might affect the cartels?  Do they worry that their Steroids policies might affect Pharmaceutical companies stock prices?  See my point?  

Montgomery Inn Ribs, Cincinnati, Ohio. Best ribs in the entire world. On a sandwich? Killer! Daggone it, Nadine. Now I'm gonna have to go get some in the next few days. It'll be on my mind (and my tastebuds) for quite a while, if I don't.

:)

Dang you...now I want ribs..........

Side note, I bruised 2 ribs when I was 13 after getting rammed by the head of a bull, that hurt like a (bad word inserted here), can't imagine if this is true how tough Luck is. Each hit would have to be killer.

so they can leak it to their NFL insiders?  :dunno:

It's true, they LIVE to announce the bad news.... but as I have suggested in several posts, it sure seems like Gamblers are being protected and the NFL has no reason to ensure more accurate gambling.  Who cares if gamblers get screwed over 100% of the time unless you're in bed with them.  Do we worry if stick up men know when the cash registers are the fullest before they rob a place?  It's always seems like an obvious conflict of interest that no one calls nonsense on.  

Dang you...now I want ribs..........

Side note, I bruised 2 ribs when I was 13 after getting rammed by the head of a bull, that hurt like a (bad word inserted here), can't imagine if this is true how tough Luck is. Each hit would have to be killer.

Hey, Nadine started all this with rib sandwiches. :) lol Seriously though, bruised or cracked/broken ribs are extremely painful at times, especially breathing or raising your arms. JPFolks & jvan1973 have attested as much. Played ILB in high school. Had several bruised ribs as well along with other injuries. But, I loved playing. Man, that was over 40 years ago. Where has the time gone? ...

Oh yeah, out the window ... haha:)

Hey, Nadine started all this with rib sandwiches. :) lol Seriously though, bruised or cracked/broken ribs are extremely painful at times, especially breathing or raising your arms. JPFolks & jvan1973 have attested as much. Played ILB in high school. Had several bruised ribs as well along with other injuries. But, I loved playing. Man, that was over 40 years ago. Where has the time gone? ...

Oh yeah, out the window ... haha:)

Shoot, youre older than me but I know the feeling. Feels like yesterday being in high school and going thru the Army boot camp, being in perfect shape, now, I'm 100 lbs heavier, out of shape and broken...

Just saw the video of I think it was Hassleback tapping Luck on the chest and Luck winced in pain and it looked like Luck told him not to tap him because he was sore.. Very odd it is not that a little tap on the chest would get such a reaction while we see nothing when he gets sacked? I have had busted ribs and my chest never hurt only my ribs. Just does not seem kosher. Why hide the injury?

It's true, they LIVE to announce the bad news.... but as I have suggested in several posts, it sure seems like Gamblers are being protected and the NFL has no reason to ensure more accurate gambling.  Who cares if gamblers get screwed over 100% of the time unless you're in bed with them.  Do we worry if stick up men know when the cash registers are the fullest before they rob a place?  It's always seems like an obvious conflict of interest that no one calls nonsense on.  

Interesting and I hope it's not true but fantasy football is big business

Thanks guys, but who cares about the "integrity" of gamblers and organized crime unless you have a league stake in protecting gamblers, which you shouldn't. I think the opposite is actually true, the league has openly public rules that suggest "we're more concerned about protecting an accurate betting line than the health of our players, who, over the history of the league, have suffered because they have to expose, in detail, their weakest most injured parts of their bodies allowing opposing teams who are so motivated to target those areas, all for what?  So that they can keep the integrity of the gambling underworld accurate? Think about it.  And the fact that the NFL and other leagues are embracing gambling beyond even Fantasy at this moment as are the other major sports leagues, the corruption threat is FAR more serious by being complicit in HELPING gamblers when it shouldn't be the least of their concern....unless they have some vested interest in GAMBLING results. 

Does the NFL show similar concern for other industries or illicit and even illegal (in many jurisdictions) activities?  Do they worry that their Drug policies might affect the cartels?  Do they worry that their Steroids policies might affect Pharmaceutical companies stock prices?  See my point?  

Do you realize that gambling is legal? 

"Gambling underworld"??? LOL. This isn't Dick Tracy, they're not funneling money to Big Boy Caprice in smoky back rooms.

The point is that making all injury information readily available, it eliminates the value of that information, thereby preventing anyone from funneling anything to the 'gambling underworld.' 

"Gambling underworld"??? LOL. This isn't Dick Tracy, they're not funneling money to Big Boy Caprice in smoky back rooms.

The point is that making all injury information readily available, it eliminates the value of that information, thereby preventing anyone from funneling anything to the 'gambling underworld.'

So true. No matter what comes to light, the value of information is a definite commodity in the NFL. For that matter, any company/organization evolving around competitors is Business 101. Information is power, nothing less.

Really the answer is quite simple. What I was saying is that I was not trying to make am "issue" of when Luck was hurt. I had read in 2-3 places that he may have also injured ribs when he sustained the shoulder injury. So i stated that I 'wasn't calling anyone out " as is often the case when someone ask for a source. I really was just asking if you had possibly read so done that was actually of that opinion. That would explain why Luck was pretty bad in those first 2 games. You obviously took offense to my post despite the fact that all I wanted to know if this was just an opinion or if it came from a team mate or someone close to the team.If you had said in your original post that this was "just your opinion" , I would have never asked the follow up question that I did. I also did not call you a pile of crap. What i said was your obvious bad reaction to me asking if there was a source to Luck being hurt in game 1 was the pile of crap.

Thanks. Makes some sense. Not a lot but some. Still my PURE OPINION (emphasis added) that Andy hurt his cage in week one. Peace.

I just want to say I am proud that our fans are taking responsibility for this and are willing to accept punishment for the alleged violation.

Some fans from other teams would vehemently deny any wrong doing no matter how obvious barring DNA evidence. I'm glad that the vast majority of our fans aren't like that. That much more reason to be a Colts fan.

Actually in most states Gambling isn't legal.  And even Fantasy football is now under scrutiny.  And these rules go way way back. So again, why protect the gambling industry, legal or otherwise?  What concern is it of the NFL unless they have something to gain by helping the lines be accurate.  And for those that say they want to discourage info selling, that could and may happen now, the risk is the same with or without shilling for Vegas.   Oh, and do you really think Vegas and the betting world is devoid of organized crime?  If so, then you're admitting there ARE illegal interests out there targeting things.  Which way is it?    

I found it interesting that Grudin tonight was asking the same questions, as we some folks around the media on TV today.  They didn't seem to see the real purpose either beyond ACTIVE or INACTIVE. 

Actually in most states Gambling isn't legal.  And even Fantasy football is now under scrutiny.  And these rules go way way back. So again, why protect the gambling industry, legal or otherwise?  What concern is it of the NFL unless they have something to gain by helping the lines be accurate.  And for those that say they want to discourage info selling, that could and may happen now, the risk is the same with or without shilling for Vegas.   Oh, and do you really think Vegas and the betting world is devoid of organized crime?  If so, then there's even LESS reason for this practice.  

I found it interesting that Grudin tonight was asking the same questions, as we some folks around the media on TV today.  They didn't seem to see the real purpose either beyond ACTIVE or INACTIVE. 

Gambling is an actual industry. Just because it isn't legal everywhere doesn't mean it isn't an industry.

And requiring accurate injury reports isn't protecting the gambling industry or shilling for Vegas. It's protecting the game from undue influence from the gambling industry. How you've made this connection that it somehow protects gambling is beyond me, but you obviously don't get it.

Like the vast majority of fans on here so eloquently said, if both our coaching staff & medical staff didn't realize or figure out with x-rays that Luck had broken ribs, they look extremely incompetent at best & arrogant at worst. I understand the need to be evasive on injury reports in order to not put a bullseye on your QBs back since the Grey Hoodie has been doing this move since 2000. All organizations fib about injuries a little bit because you don't want opposing LBs & DEs to smell blood in the water like a wounded seal. I get that. 

However, when Grigs says he stands by the original injury report. He looks very dumb hardly personifying leadership & good stewardship of this noble organization. When you get busted in a lie, just own it Ryan. I hate people who lie to my face. Own it & I forgive you. Perpetuate the lie again & I can't trust you anymore. 

If he has several fractured ribs, Luck needs to sit down by force the rest of the year. We cannot jeapordize Chewy's health any longer. We need to protect our investment, finish the year with Matthew, & make changes in the off season. Find somebody who knows how to create a proven offensive line.

Oh yeah, the fool that said he's tired of some many Colts fans trying to turn us into NE...Knock it off & don't make me smack you dude seriously. I get your frustration, but come on man. It is possible to admire a rival's winning percentage for over a decade & be loyal still to INDY. Most people can appreciate Bill & Brady's longevity without wanting to morph into an exact replica of them.  

Gambling is an actual industry. Just because it isn't legal everywhere doesn't mean it isn't an industry.

And requiring accurate injury reports isn't protecting the gambling industry or shilling for Vegas. It's protecting the game from undue influence from the gambling industry. How you've made this connection that it somehow protects gambling is beyond me, but you obviously don't get it.

The mere fact you state they are protecting the NFL from "undue influence" (i.e. CRIME) from the gambling industry entirely makes my point.  That would be a criminal act.   So because the NFL feels the gaming industry is dishonest and subject to illegal action, they should help that same industry set their betting lines?  There is no other valid reason to share inside info to outsiders.  

So players must divulge their private health info to be published worldwide to keep the gaming industry from acting illegally?

The gaming industry is subject to laws and their own internal gaming boards in each state which all prohibit what you say is the reason for the NFL helping them.  You seem to want it both ways?  The NFL can't stop their players from doing any number of horrendous lawbreaking.  The NBA had refs throwing games for gamblers.  Do you really think the gambling world isn't full of corruption and illegal activities?  Why must the NFL help them to keep them from using "undue influence" and if that threat is real, why do you think they all play nice and don't do plenty of other insider info changing (or that they aren't at least TRYING, in the same way you say they'd try to use UNDUE INFLUENCE)?  Wouldn't game plans be just as susceptible to corruption?  How about simply who looks good in closed practices?  Isn't the same undue influence hovering over all that?  Should they start streaming every team meeting and practice and workout, all areas susceptible to criminals using "undue influence?" 

I am not the only one to ask this question, I heard it again on ESPN and NBC and FOX on earlier recordings from today's football coverage.  You act as though it's nothing... but you contradict your own argument anyway.  Is gambling above or capable of crime and dishonesty with or without the NFL injury report? I say they will always leave no stone unturned in their effort to gain an advantage, legal or otherwise.  So why protect one aspect which carries no benefit to the NFL beyond adding protection, in your opinion, from the criminal elements in gambling? The injury report is a warm hug to gambling interests.  The only question is WHY the NFL gives them that info, while assuming all other sensitive but game relevant info requires no similar protection? Which way is it?

However, when Grigs says he stands by the original injury report. He looks very dumb hardly personifying leadership & good stewardship of this noble organization. When you get busted in a lie, just own it Ryan. I hate people who lie to my face. Own it & I forgive you. Perpetuate the lie again & I can't trust you anymore. 

--

Oh yeah, the fool that said he's tired of some many Colts fans trying to turn us into NE...Knock it off & don't make me smack you dude seriously. I get your frustration, but come on man. It is possible to admire a rival's winning percentage for over a decade & be loyal still to INDY. Most people can appreciate Bill & Brady's longevity without wanting to morph into an exact replica of them.  

Interesting... you HATE PEOPLE WHO LIE TO YOUR FACE, but you appreciate Bill and Brady.  And "the deflator" was a coincidental nickname for a guy losing weight.    Nice. 

Interesting... you HATE PEOPLE WHO LIE TO YOUR FACE, but you appreciate Bill and Brady.  And "the deflator" was a coincidental nickname for a guy losing weight.    Nice. 

When did I ever say I bought the "Deflator" line JPF? That ridiculous & you know that. Also, regardless of whether or not it was proven that Brady lied about PSI air pressure, Brady still had to score TDs in 4 SBs against the Rams, Panthers, Eagles, & Seahawks correct? 

I believe Brady knows more than he's telling & your reply notwithstanding, I have been perfectly consistent with my position on deflate gate regardless of what you may think. Believe whatever you want. It makes no difference to me. 

When did I ever say I bought the "Deflator" line JPF? That ridiculous & you know that. Also, regardless of whether or not it was proven that Brady lied about PSI air pressure, Brady still had to score TDs in 4 SBs against the Rams, Panthers, Eagles, & Seahawks correct? 

I believe Brady knows more than he's telling & your reply notwithstanding, I have been perfectly consistent with my position on deflate gate regardless of what you may think. Believe whatever you want. It makes no difference to me. 

I brought up that quote because Brady is nothing more than a guy who lied to everyone's face repeatedly saying he knew nothing about the issue when scores of pro QB's have stated it is impossible that he didn't know the balls were low and that the equipment guys would never take that upon themselves.  So, if you have an issue with people lying to your face, why all the respect for Brady?  Those two things are incompatible.  If it made no difference to you, why even respond? 

An injury does not affect the brain's ability to function. Luck is now Kaeperknick and should be benched.

You do not bench your team leader and franchise QB who's fighting through injuries.  You just dont do it.  And anyone suggesting that purely doesnt know football.  And yes, an injury can shake up your confidence and decision making if youre still suffering through it

You do not bench your team leader and franchise QB who's fighting through injuries.  You just dont do it.  And anyone suggesting that purely doesnt know football.  And yes, an injury can shake up your confidence and decision making if youre still suffering through it

Um, that depends entirely on the specific injury and severity of said injury.

Um, that depends entirely on the specific injury and severity of said injury.

Correct. But if the docs say he can go, he should go. But you don't sit him just because he's playing badly. Granted the very reason he's playing badly is he's worried bout getting hurt. But if he's healthy, you play him.

Correct. But if the docs say he can go, he should go. But you don't sit him just because he's playing badly. Granted the very reason he's playing badly is he's worried bout getting hurt. But if he's healthy, you play him.

Eh...if the injury is affecting his ability to throw the ball, then I do think that sitting him should be considered.  I certainly don't think it's as black and white as you make it seem.

Eh...if the injury is affecting his ability to throw the ball, then I do think that sitting him should be considered. I certainly don't think it's as black and white as you make it seem.

Nope it's not. I truly don't know what's wrong with luck but I think Rodney Harrison hit the nail on it today, he doesn't look like he's playing hurt, he looks like a guy who's lost complete confidence in his ability and his team's ability. The way he ran and bounced up after hits, I think physically he's fine, it's the mental aspect. And the only way to overcome that is play thru it

If Luck is injured explain his come back last night and against New Orleans, it does not add up. I don't hear any sports mouths blaming his hot and cold performance on injuries. For the last 7:22 last night he was dead on, even the last int. was a deflection. 

If Luck is injured explain his come back last night and against New Orleans, it does not add up. I don't hear any sports mouths blaming his hot and cold performance on injuries. For the last 7:22 last night he was dead on, even the last int. was a deflection. 

It's not all or nothing though. I believe his injuries have caused him to play worse but I also believe mental errors have been an even bigger issue this year.  It's just that there have been less big time plays to make up for it.