Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are The Colts On Their Way To Becoming The 49ers?

Restored

Let me explain.

For one, we've had reason to believe for awhile now that Pagano and Grigson have not seen eye to eye. Whether it's from the telling one year extension that was offered to Pagano to the supposed power struggle over players and coaching staff, something doesn't seem right.

The 49ers had their own issues with this between Jim Harbaugh and Jed York. Despite the success the team achieved, there clearly was a disconnect between the two men. Harbaugh eventually took the Michgian job while the 49ers are enduring a down season after limping through one of the worst off seasons in their history.

The similarities that I've seen have become quite worrisome as of late. The GM-HC fued despite playoff success (Harbaugh: 3 NFC Championship apperances w/ 1 SB appearance. Pagano: Playoff round advancement each season). A QB showing signs of regression amidst all of it (Kapernick, Luck). Being stonewalled by the same team continuously (Patriots, Seahawks).

All of these signs have me wondering if the Colts are heading down the same path of a 49ers team that saw its GM and head coach breakup lead to a franchise in dissary. Thoughts?

Come on man. We got something that the 9ers don't. That something is Andrew Luck. As long as we got him we're going to be one of the better teams in the NFL. We only go up from here man. We're going to be one of the top teams in the league for the foreseeable future.

No, No, and No. 

For one, you actually have the best young quarterback in the league. Regardless if they truly busted the entire 2011 season to get Luck or not, they got him. The Colts went from a Hall of Fame quarterback to landing the best young QB to come, and for that, they have an advantage over the rest of the league. As long as Luck gets healthy again, he's going to be a force to be reckoned with for the future. 

For two, you play in the worst division of all of the NFL. Don't give me that "But what about the NFC South" crap. Of the NFC South, all 4 teams have reached the NFCCG at least once since the division realignment, and 3 of the 4 have reached the SB, with 2 walking away with the Lombardi trophy. No team in the AFC South has made it to the AFCCG besides the Colts, since Jacksonville and Tennessee were at it in 1999. It's a wasteland division where the Colts automatically rack up 6 easy wins every year. Until you guys lose to your divisional teams, and have to deal with the division having a different winner every year as the NFC South did from 2005 to 2013; then you can whine to me about how tough it is blowing out garbage teams like Jacksonville, Houston, and Tennessee twice a year. 

For three, your team might be poorly managed in some ways, but it's no where near as bad as the 49ers. The 49ers have had management issues for several years under Jed York. This isn't the first time York's ego has pushed a coach out the door, remember when Jeff Garcia was the QB and they had those few good years in the early 2000s? I think for the Colts, the management is just not as good as the Polian/Dungy era where they had a Hall of Fame (or at least i think he should be) head coach who was defensive minded and could fix issues. If Dungy was still with the Colts, there's no way they would have lost to the Patriots last week. 

Let me explain.

For one, we've had reason to believe for awhile now that Pagano and Grig

son have not seen eye to eye. Whether it's from the telling one year extension that was offered to Pagano to the supposed power struggle over players and coaching staff, something doesn't seem right.

The 49ers had their own issues with this between Jim Harbaugh and Jed York. Despite the success the team achieved, there clearly was a disconnect between the two men. Harbaugh eventually took the Michgian job while the 49ers are enduring a down season after limping through one of the worst off seasons in their history.

The similarities that I've seen have become quite worrisome as of late. The GM-HC fued despite playoff success (Harbaugh: 3 NFC Championship apperances w/ 1 SB appearance. Pagano: Playoff round advancement each season). A QB showing signs of regression amidst all of it (Kapernick, Luck). Being stonewalled by the same team continuously (Patriots, Seahawks).

All of these signs have me wondering if the Colts are heading down the same path of a 49ers team that saw its GM and head coach breakup lead to a franchise in dissary. Thoughts?

Stop listening to deion

This might be the most disrespectful thread I've ever seen

:scorebad:

:scorebad:

Yeah Kap isn't anywhere near the QB Andrew is. Andrew can win 10 games by himself. Not trying to sound cocky but he has won at least 11 games every season with no running game, suspect Coaching, and an inconsistent Defense. We have the best young QB in the league. Kap is Good but not a franchise QB.

Stop listening to deion

Preach Jvan. There are times I'd pay Prime Time some serious cash to just take a vow of silence for at least a year & Michael Irvin at least a decade of no commentary period. 

It will never happen I know, but let me enjoy this blissful premise before you pop my bubble in 4-5 minutes. Thanks. 

No, No, and No. 

For one, you actually have the best young quarterback in the league. Regardless if they truly busted the entire 2011 season to get Luck or not, they got him. The Colts went from a Hall of Fame quarterback to landing the best young QB to come, and for that, they have an advantage over the rest of the league. As long as Luck gets healthy again, he's going to be a force to be reckoned with for the future. 

For two, you play in the worst division of all of the NFL. Don't give me that "But what about the NFC South" crap. Of the NFC South, all 4 teams have reached the NFCCG at least once since the division realignment, and 3 of the 4 have reached the SB, with 2 walking away with the Lombardi trophy. No team in the AFC South has made it to the AFCCG besides the Colts, since Jacksonville and Tennessee were at it in 1999. It's a wasteland division where the Colts automatically rack up 6 easy wins every year. Until you guys lose to your divisional teams, and have to deal with the division having a different winner every year as the NFC South did from 2005 to 2013; then you can whine to me about how tough it is blowing out garbage teams like Jacksonville, Houston, and Tennessee twice a year. 

For three, your team might be poorly managed in some ways, but it's no where near as bad as the 49ers. The 49ers have had management issues for several years under Jed York. This isn't the first time York's ego has pushed a coach out the door, remember when Jeff Garcia was the QB and they had those few good years in the early 2000s? I think for the Colts, the management is just not as good as the Polian/Dungy era where they had a Hall of Fame (or at least i think he should be) head coach who was defensive minded and could fix issues. If Dungy was still with the Colts, there's no way they would have lost to the Patriots last week. 

I do agree Bogie that Luck's strong build, bright IQ, & selective amnesia over turnovers will help INDY for about 12-15 years. Yeah, the AFC South doesn't exactly make other divisions fear our player prowess. I can't deny that fact. Houston can't seem to land a QB, Tennessee is waiting on Mariota to develop as DC Dick LeBeau transforms that defense, & the Jags finally got their field general of the future but they just never scare me as a competitor. 

I like playing in a watered down division & make no apologies for it. It is what it is. I can't comment on TNF yet since I have the game on my DVR & I haven't watched it yet. I won't slam the AFC South, but I know how fortunate INDY is to be playing in it. 

Come on man. We got something that the 9ers don't. That something is Andrew Luck. As long as we got him we're going to be one of the better teams in the NFL. We only go up from here man. We're going to be one of the top teams in the league for the foreseeable future.

Luck hasn't been anything but human this season. I know he is hurt, but he's young and needs help.

We are not the 49ers. Luck has been a little off this year. He doesn't have to do it all. We can run the ball now that we have a real RB.

Grigs will see this and get Luck his backfired mate in next years draft. How about Davante Booker.

Pep needs to learn to committ to running the ball.

This team is getting healthy and will be in the thick of things come playoff time. We need to learn to let Gore carry the ball in the second half especially in close games.

In past threads, Superman has compared the Colts more to the Falcons and what happened to them after their fast start the first few seasons and then the issues with building the team, coaching. That seems more of an apples to applies possibility than the niners. The Niners also had the misfortune of many of their young guys retiring unexpectedly.

I do agree Bogie that Luck's strong build, bright IQ, & selective amnesia over turnovers will help INDY for about 12-15 years. Yeah, the AFC South doesn't exactly make other divisions fear our player prowess. I can't deny that fact. Houston can't seem to land a QB, Tennessee is waiting on Mariota to develop as DC Dick LeBeau transforms that defense, & the Jags finally got their field general of the future but they just never scare me as a competitor. 

I like playing in a watered down division & make no apologies for it. It is what it is. I can't comment on TNF yet since I have the game on my DVR & I haven't watched it yet. I won't slam the AFC South, but I know how fortunate INDY is to be playing in it. 

This colts team is undisciplined. They need to stop holding and trying to turn luck into the mad bomber or Bret farve.

Actually I hate to admit this but you have a point. Andrew is reminding me more and more of Favre. Favre was Great but threw a lot of INT's and was a mad bomber a lot in his career. Also @SW I definitely don't mind playing in a weak Division. It's never bothered Pats fans either over the years. The AFC East as I brought up in earlier Posts has been putrid the last 4 seasons 2011-2014. It is better this season but the Bills have came back down to earth and the Dolphins aren't any good. Jets are surprisingly good. It's all about just getting in the Playoffs and if we get in at 8-8 so be it. It's a new season at that point and everyone is 0-0.

In past threads, Superman has compared the Colts more to the Falcons and what happened to them after their fast start the first few seasons and then the issues with building the team, coaching. That seems more of an apples to applies possibility than the niners. The Niners also had the misfortune of many of their young guys retiring unexpectedly.

I was always hear people comparing us to the Atlanta Braves of the 90's. Over a decade of winning a ton of games and only 1 SB win to show for it. I don't mind that comparison, it is what it is. At least we have won a SB in the last 10 seasons. The Bills went to 4 straight 4 SB's and lost them all in the 90's and have nothing to show for it. Other teams that have been solid good like the Eagles, Chargers, and Vikings over the years have never won a SB at all. That 1998 Vikings team was the best team to not win a SB (2007 Pats aren't included because I am talking about teams that have never won one). I am just thankful we at least have 1 SB win to show for all the winning we have had over the last 20 seasons. Fans of teams that haven't won one just don't know the feeling as a fan. I partied for like a week straight after we won in Feb of 2007. Heck of a feeling.

Harbaugh is insane. Chuck is not. Still have not seen much proof as to the rift. I'm sure most GM HC combos don't always see eye to eye on all things, but for Petes sake does anyone have any proof minus subtle jabs like the "pick one" comment?

haha

I personally think there is something to the reports and the similarities are there for comparison to San Francisco.

Luck hasn't been anything but human this season. I know he is hurt, but he's young and needs help.

True, he's been more of a middle of the pack QB rather than a top 5 guy. Still, fans on this forum go nuts when he turns in a 250 yard, 2 TD 2 int performance. As stated earlier by some others in this thread, we need to commit to running the ball more. It opens things up for the pass.

Stop listening to deion

Has nothing to do with Deion. I simply think that this team is following a path much similar to the 49ers. Yes, Luck is a better QB than Kap. Yes, Pagano is more even-keeled than Harbaugh was. But we also must see that Grigson and Pagano supposedly have a rift like York and Harbaugh did. Luck, while experiencing no where near the drop off that Kap has this and last year, has struggled this season and hasn't progressed in the way that many thought he would.

Has nothing to do with Deion. I simply think that this team is following a path much similar to the 49ers. Yes, Luck is a better QB than Kap. Yes, Pagano is more even-keeled than Harbaugh was. But we also must see that Grigson and Pagano supposedly have a rift like York and Harbaugh did. Luck, while experiencing no where near the drop off that Kap has this and last year, has struggled this season and hasn't progressed in the way that many thought he would.

As long as Andrew is the QB I don't think we will ever stink, will we win a SB? Not sure on that one but it is probable if we put the right team around Andrew. Playing in a weak Division helps too. The 49ers had guys getting in trouble with the law, retiring, etc. and they have the Seahawks and Cards in their Division. That is a possible 4 losses.

As long as Andrew is the QB I don't think we will ever stink, will we win a SB? Not sure on that one but it is probable if we put the right team around Andrew. Playing in a weak Division helps too. The 49ers had guys getting in trouble with the law, retiring, etc. and they have the Seahawks and Cards in their Division. That is a possible 4 losses.

The Colts have had their fair share of gaffs between players not living up to expectations to having their own problems with the law. I agree that the 49ers situation is far worse than what COULD happen with the Colts. I'm just saying that they are walking an eerily similar path.

Let me explain.

For one, we've had reason to believe for awhile now that Pagano and Grigson have not seen eye to eye. Whether it's from the telling one year extension that was offered to Pagano to the supposed power struggle over players and coaching staff, something doesn't seem right.

NO....NO...NO  

Honestly, most of this is media hyperbole that they pulled out of their butts.  Is it distracting the team, i think so, but I honestly think this didnt start out that way.  I think Kravitz pulled this crap to stir the pot and he did.  Then the rest of the media hit it and now its over boiled.