Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign WR Marcus Thigpen/Release QB Josh Johnson (Merge)

BullsColtsFan1

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you guys are hell bent on them bringing in Bradshaw, but that doesn't mean you have to prematurely dismiss this signing. This doesn't compare to Josh Cribbs. Cribbs didn't really do anything major for years before we signed him. Thigpen was a great returner last year and was only not resigned by the Bills because they got Percy Harvin. I'm surprised no one else picked him up.

Could he have been signed to play the "Edelman" role in practice to prepare for the Pats? That's the only thing that sort of makes sense to me.

I think we have plenty of speedy type of guys to portray him.  Grigs likes speed at the returner position so that's probably why he signed him.

I know you guys are hell bent on them bringing in Bradshaw, but that doesn't mean you have to prematurely dismiss this signing. This doesn't compare to Josh Cribbs. Cribbs didn't really do anything major for years before we signed him. Thigpen was a great returner last year and was only not resigned by the Bills because they got Percy Harvin. I'm surprised no one else picked him up.

He was so great that he was unemployed until now

When Thigpen was in the CFL...

Thigpen became the first player in CFL history to score a touchdown five different ways in one season. In total, he had scored on a kickoff return, punt return, missed field goal return, a running play and a reception.

He is blazing fast and has good hands. He has returned three kicks for a TD since 2012.   So in 31 years the Indy Colts just have 7 punt returns for a TD and 7 kickoff returns for a TD.  That is just pitiful!

PR                       KR

Phil Smith                                                          0                           1

Clarence Verdin                                                4                           1

Ronald Humphrey                                             0                           1

Terrence Wilkins                                               3                           1

Chad Simpson                                                  0                           1

Tyjuan Hagler                                                   0                           1

Deji Karim                                                         0                           1

This is Grigson trying to prove how smart he is by finding a diamond in the rough. He was brought in to return kicks. This reeks of Josh Cribbs all over again. Just leave Whalen back there, we know he won't fumble.

The sooner the front office figures this out, the better the team will be.

Whalen is not flashy, but he is very sure handed in the return game, and he protects the team by not putting the ball on the ground. I am happy with him fair catching 3 out of every 4 punts and accepting touch-backs. I would rather live to play from the 20 than take risks of our defense playing from our own 20. 

Thigpen became the first player in CFL history to score a touchdown five different ways in one season. In total, he had scored on a kickoff return, punt return, missed field goal return, a running play and a reception.

He is blazing fast and has good hands. He has returned three kicks for a TD since 2012.  that is more kickoff returns than we have had in 15 years and he have only had 7 since 1984.  So in 31 years just 7 punt returns for a TD and 7 kickoff returns for a TD.  That is just pitiful!

12 Phil Smith 1984 1984 16 WR 1           32 651 1 96 20.3 641 13 Clarence Verdin 1988 1993 95 WR 18 155 1537 4 84 9.9 169 3420 1 88 20.2 6372 14 Ronald Humphrey 1994 1995 26 RB 2           56 1236 1 95 22.1 1357 15 Terrence Wilkins 1999 2006 59 WR 20 119 1065 3 82 8.9 176 4017 1 97 22.8 6558 16 Chad Simpson 2008 2009 25 RB 3           53 1242 1 93 23.4 1420 17 Tyjuan Hagler 2010 2010 13 LB 4           1 41 1 41 41.0 41 18 Deji Karim 2012 2012 3 RB 1           9 328 1 101 36.4 328

Cool but try to do that in the NFL. I won't be excited unless he does a better job than Whalen.

He was so great that he was unemployed until now

Just said I don't know why he wasn't picked up. He has no fumbling problems and is way more explosive than Whalen. The Colts workout Bradshaw along with many other running backs in normal checkups and people think it's certain he will be back. Not happening barring injury.

Edit: And actually I was wrong. He just got released last week. Bulls raved about him last year.

The sooner the front office figures this out, the better the team will be.

Whalen is not flashy, but he is very sure handed in the return game, and he protects the team by not putting the ball on the ground. I am happy with him fair catching 3 out of every 4 punts and accepting touch-backs. I would rather live to play from the 20 than take risks of our defense playing from our own 20.

To me, the risks outweigh the rewards of having some flashy return guy back there. Rarely are you ever even able to return a kickoff anymore and most punts are fair caught anyways. I don't see the point.

I cant understand all the negativity over this signing. Some complain when the FO does nothing in your opinion and then complain when something is done. I have no clue as to why Grigson made this signing but I am not going to sit around and whine about it.

I don't see anyone "whining" as you call it.

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I believe the consensus is we would rather stop trying to bring in flashy return men. We need to just stick with Whalen, because Griff is not going to lose a game for us.

This situation reminds me of the late 80s and early 90s, when we used Prior to return punts that would more than likely be fair catches, and if we had a team backup up inside their own 30 then we would roll out Verdin.

Point is, if there is some room to run then put a flashy return man out there, but if we are returning on a short field then just have the sure-handed and good-decision-making Whalen do the job. 

He is blazing fast and has good hands. He has returned three kicks for a TD since 2012.   So in 31 years the Indy Colts just have 7 punt returns for a TD and 7 kickoff returns for a TD.  That is just pitiful!

Phil Smith                                                          0                           1

Clarence Verdin                                                4                           1

Ronald Humphrey                                             0                           1

Terrence Wilkins                                               3                           1

Chad Simpson                                                  0                           1

Tyjuan Hagler                                                   0                           1

Deji Karim                                                         0                           1

that's not a complete list.  ty had a punt return TD, dominic rhodes had a couple, and there may be a few others missing

Please tell me we arn't gonna make the stupid Josh Cribbs mistake again by making this guy our return man.  

Dang it just leave Whalen back there.  He catches the ball and doesn't fumble it.  

Just looked this guy up. . . he's only really been used as a return man.  It's the same Josh Cribb's mistake all over again.  He's gonna get it in his head that he needs to return every dang ball so he's going to return every single one, even the ones that are 9 yards deep in the endzone which will mean Luck will be starting from the 10 instead of the 20 after kickoffs.  

And on punts he's never gonna fair catch because he's gonna have it in his mind that he has to return all of those too, even the ones where he has a quarter second to secure the ball before he's hit.

Basically he's gonna fumble or muff the punt at least 4 times this season.

Well things WHERE looking up.  

The level of ridiculousness is high with this post.

Dear God...

He is blazing fast and has good hands. He has returned three kicks for a TD since 2012. So in 31 years the Indy Colts just have 7 punt returns for a TD and 7 kickoff returns for a TD. That is just pitiful!

PR KR

Phil Smith 0 1

Clarence Verdin 4 1

Ronald Humphrey 0 1

Terrence Wilkins 3 1

Chad Simpson 0 1

Tyjuan Hagler 0 1

Deji Karim 0 1

Wait when did Hagler score a return TD? One of these is not like the others.

Colts are looking for a game changer on special teams.... ALL griff does is fair catch the ball...nothing wrong with bringing a vet return man it for competition.  My guess is Varga is still in concussion protocal and u dont want TY ( #1 WR)  nor Dorsett (fumble man) back fielding if whalen gets hurt.

I don't see anyone "whining" as you call it.

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I believe the consensus is we would rather stop trying to bring in flashy return men. We need to just stick with Whalen, because Griff is not going to lose a game for us.

This situation reminds me of the late 80s and early 90s, when we used Prior to return punts that would more than likely be fair catches, and if we had a team backup up inside their own 30 then we would roll out Verdin.

Point is, if there is some room to run then put a flashy return man out there, but if we are returning on a short field then just have the sure-handed and good-decision-making Whalen do the job. 

My point is no matter the consensus some will whine and cry just because. Whine when the FO makes a move and whine when they don't make a move. Whine about any move. Sometimes forum is the wrong word for what goes on in here.

Please tell me we arn't gonna make the stupid Josh Cribbs mistake again by making this guy our return man.  

Dang it just leave Whalen back there.  He catches the ball and doesn't fumble it.  

Just looked this guy up. . . he's only really been used as a return man.  It's the same Josh Cribb's mistake all over again.  He's gonna get it in his head that he needs to return every dang ball so he's going to return every single one, even the ones that are 9 yards deep in the endzone which will mean Luck will be starting from the 10 instead of the 20 after kickoffs.  

And on punts he's never gonna fair catch because he's gonna have it in his mind that he has to return all of those too, even the ones where he has a quarter second to secure the ball before he's hit.

Basically he's gonna fumble or muff the punt at least 4 times this season.

Well things WHERE looking up.  

He does not the reputation as a fumbler.