Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign WR Marcus Thigpen/Release QB Josh Johnson (Merge)

BullsColtsFan1

He has stuck around all of this time when a lot seem to think he was going to be cut. I have no clue what will happen with him if Thigpen does take over the returns. We keep reading about Bradshaw but we really don't know any more than just talk after his visit with the Colts. We don't even know if he is in shape to play.

Whalen has been cut on more than one occasion so it's not out of the realm of possibility. They've cut him before and put him on the PS. If he's got some elig. left he'll probably go there if cut.  Sometimes I think we've cut him and let him dangle in the wind for a while and then add him back to the regular roster.   I just don't see us keeping 6 WR on the roster with some of the injuries and what not.  Do you see us keeping 6 WR?  I don't, but we'll see where this thing goes in the next couple of days.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per pro football reference, 7 fumbles with 4 recoveries on 181 punt/kick returns over 45 games played.

A rate of 1 fumble every 26 return attempts.

Looking up Whalen's stats from the same source he has 2 fumbles in 58 punt/ kick returns over 24 games played.  That averages to 1 fumble every 29 return attempts.

I don't see a real difference in the return stats between Thigpen and Whalen that would make me think Thigpen will over more than Whalen.

I guess we will see Sunday tho.

Whalen has been cut on more than one occasion so it's not out of the realm of possibility. They've cut him before and put him on the PS. If he's got some elig. left he'll probably go there if cut.  Sometimes I think we've cut him and let him dangle in the wind for a while and then add him back to the regular roster.   I just don't see us keeping 6 WR on the roster with some of the injuries and what not.  Do you see us keeping 6 WR?  I don't, but we'll see where this thing goes in the next couple of days.

I feel this time if Whalen is cut he will be picked up by another team. I am not sure if he has any eligibility left on the PS? Maybe Superman would know that? I agree with your assessment of keeping 6 receivers though. With Carter on the PS who knows? I hate that Whalen is put in this position because of his solid play. With the trade deadline coming up I wonder if that might play into anything? Trying to figure or guess what Grigson has in mind is next to impossible.

I feel this time if Whalen is cut he will be picked up by another team. I am not sure if he has any eligibility left on the PS? Maybe Superman would know that? I agree with your assessment of keeping 6 receivers though. With Carter on the PS who knows? I hate that Whalen is put in this position because of his solid play. With the trade deadline coming up I wonder if that might play into anything? Trying to figure or guess what Grigson has in mind is next to impossible.

He's stuck between a rock and a hard place.  He can't start over any of our starters and Grigson wants more explosion out of the PR position.  Catching fair catches isn't enough for Grigson and the coaching staff.  They want explosion combined with protection of the football all in one. It is what it is I guess.

Looking up Whalen's stats from the same source he has 2 fumbles in 58 punt/ kick returns over 24 games played.  That averages to 1 fumble every 29 return attempts.

I don't see a real difference in the return stats between Thigpen and Whalen that would make me think Thigpen will over more than Whalen.

I guess we will see Sunday tho.

I don't know how this is going to play out but Thigpen's return yardage seems to be better than Whalen's. Thigpen hasn't had a lot of work since 2013 so I guess we will wait and see.

If Thigpen does become the Colts return man it will make no difference if it's a short or long field IMO. Like I said, this is not a negative dig at Whalen. If Thigpen can get Luck and the offense better field position then it's a good signing. If not, it's not that big of a deal with Whalen on the roster. Yes Whalen is solid but there is not much yardage to be gained by fair catching 80% of the kicks.

And that is your opinion. However, I hope that you now realize that other peoples opinions will not always agree with you, and they should not be lumped into a "whining" category just because they do not agree with you. 

As far as how this plays out, we will see. The first time Thigpen puts the ball on the ground then people have a confirmed and justified reason to complain about it. 

I would much rather have our offense on our own 20 yard line than have our defense on our own 20 yard line. To me the risk is not worth the reward. 

And that is your opinion. However, I hope that you now realize that other peoples opinions will not always agree with you, and they should not be lumped into a "whining" category just because they do not agree with you. 

As far as how this plays out, we will see. The first time Thigpen puts the ball on the ground then people have a confirmed and justified reason to complain about it. 

I would much rather have our offense on our own 20 yard line than have our defense on our own 20 yard line. To me the risk is not worth the reward. 

If you follow my comments they are aimed at the constant whiners. If you don't fall into that category then it wasn't aimed at you. You seem to assume that Thigpen is going to fumble the ball. He might, but he is not known as a fumbler. His return yardage seems to be more productive than Whalen. I guess if Thigpen returns a great runback all this will be put to rest. It is not rocket science to see that the FO wants more out of kick returns than fair catches. To automatically dismiss this signing as a bad signing is being narrow minded IMO. If Thigpen can have Luck start at a better position than the 20 yard line 80% of the time it would be a good thing. How do you know if it is a risk? Football is a risk with every play. I think it might have something to do with the shape of the football? haha

You have no clue as to this being stupid. What is wrong with having Whalen and Thigpen on the roster? Is there some kind of rule that the Colts can't have both? I don't have a clue how this is going to turn out but to automatically call it stupid, is stupid.

it is stupid. Why bring someone in to replace someone that has always adequately done their job? Every year grigson finds some scrub to take over return duties and Whalen always ends up back their. I think that's stupid.

it is stupid. Why bring someone in to replace someone that has always adequately done their job? Every year grigson finds some scrub to take over return duties and Whalen always ends up back their. I think that's stupid.

That is your opinion and you are certainly entitled to have it. It is real apparent the FO is not happy with having very little return game. If Thigpen can give the ball to Luck with better field position it would not be a bad thing. I don't have a crystal ball but neither do you. To automatically dismiss this as stupid is being narrow minded IMO. Oh and by the way, Grigson has a pretty good record so far. Has his moves been all good? No. But in the big picture he has done a good job and to make it sound like he hasn't is being narrow minded without my opinion. You normally make sound comments and why you take an attitude about this move is beyond me.

If you follow my comments they are aimed at the constant whiners. If you don't fall into that category then it wasn't aimed at you. You seem to assume that Thigpen is going to fumble the ball. He might, but he is not known as a fumbler. His return yardage seems to be more productive than Whalen. I guess if Thigpen returns a great runback all this will be put to rest. It is not rocket science to see that the FO wants more out of kick returns than fair catches. To automatically dismiss this signing as a bad signing is being narrow minded IMO. If Thigpen can have Luck start at a better position than the 20 yard line 80% of the time it would be a good thing. How do you know if it is a risk? Football is a risk with every play. I think it might have something to do with the shape of the football? haha

We already know that we can trust Whalen. Why continue to tempt fate? Especially when every time we do it costs us, and the team bears the scars of it. 

We will see what happens. I always root for my Colts no matter what, but if this dude starts putting the ball on the ground then everyone who is opposed to this signing has a lot of good reasons to be angry. 

Bad field position is one of the major things that has hampered us in these Patriot games as well I believe.  Turnovers are the other thing along with the offense not being able to sustain drives.  I can certainly see why Grigs is trying to address the field position issue.  Hopefully Thigpen doesn't add to it with any fumbles.  I'll stay positive and trust what's being done until I see clear reason to do otherwise I guess.

We already know that we can trust Whalen. Why continue to tempt fate? Especially when every time we do it costs us, and the team bears the scars of it. 

We will see what happens. I always root for my Colts no matter what, but if this dude starts putting the ball on the ground then everyone who is opposed to this signing has a lot of good reasons to be angry. 

Tempt fate? C-mon Blue, If this move doesn't work out it is not the end of the world. If it does work out it's for the better. Fate? I don't see everyone getting all bent out of shape over who does lead the team in fumbles? I might be wrong but I think it is Luck. No doubt I will be corrected if I am wrong. I think way too much is being put into this signing. Gambles are part of GMs and their relation to the NFL. If it don't work out it cant be said the FO didn't try. If it does work out that's cool too.

That is your opinion and you are certainly entitled to have it. It is real apparent the FO is not happy with having very little return game. If Thigpen can give the ball to Luck with better field position it would not be a bad thing. I don't have a crystal ball but neither do you. To automatically dismiss this as stupid is being narrow minded IMO. Oh and by the way, Grigson has a pretty good record so far. Has his moves been all good? No. But in the big picture he has done a good job and to make it sound like he hasn't is being narrow minded without my opinion. You normally make sound comments and why you take an attitude about this move is beyond me.

I respectfully disagree. I think Grigsons attempts to find a returner to replace Whalen have been fruitless, and I just see no reason why Whalen should be replaced. He does a decent job.

I feel this time if Whalen is cut he will be picked up by another team. I am not sure if he has any eligibility left on the PS? Maybe Superman would know that? I agree with your assessment of keeping 6 receivers though. With Carter on the PS who knows? I hate that Whalen is put in this position because of his solid play. With the trade deadline coming up I wonder if that might play into anything? Trying to figure or guess what Grigson has in mind is next to impossible.

he has never done anything to warrant another team picking him up. He really isn't very good

Tempt fate? C-mon Blue, If this move doesn't work out it is not the end of the world. If it does work out it's for the better. Fate? I don't see everyone getting all bent out of shape over who does lead the team in fumbles? I might be wrong but I think it is Luck. No doubt I will be corrected if I am wrong. I think way too much is being put into this signing. Gambles are part of GMs and their relation to the NFL. If it don't work out it cant be said the FO didn't try. If it does work out that's cool too.

No one is getting bent out of shape. Just tired of us kicking the tires with this and watching it backfire with fumbles that put us in bad situations.

There is no getting out of calling people whiners about this. People have a legitimate reason to question this move. This is not a sky is falling thread. You pulled that card and got called out. Now you're stuck defending your point about the return man.

No one is getting bent out of shape. Just tired of us kicking the tires with this and watching it backfire with fumbles that put us in bad situations.

All GMs are going to kick tires. In a sense that what their job is. I completely understand your point of view and understand your concern but you never know. Thigpen was not released for being a bad player that fumbled. I know he was listed as a WR but that was never his role. Let's give it a chance and if he don't work out I will be the first one to say it was a mistake. Good debate.

Our special teams have been mediocre for a long long time now. I think it's less about the return man and more about the blocking and personnel. We just don't seem to commit to it as an organization

Not to be argumentative but our special teams play is light years ahead of what it was when Manning was here. Just thinking back as to the huge plays the Colts gave up with poor special teams play is like a nightmare played over and over in my mind. :D  :angry:

Please tell me we arn't gonna make the stupid Josh Cribbs mistake again by making this guy our return man.  

Dang it just leave Whalen back there.  He catches the ball and doesn't fumble it.  

Just looked this guy up. . . he's only really been used as a return man.  It's the same Josh Cribb's mistake all over again.  He's gonna get it in his head that he needs to return every dang ball so he's going to return every single one, even the ones that are 9 yards deep in the endzone which will mean Luck will be starting from the 10 instead of the 20 after kickoffs.  

And on punts he's never gonna fair catch because he's gonna have it in his mind that he has to return all of those too, even the ones where he has a quarter second to secure the ball before he's hit.

Basically he's gonna fumble or muff the punt at least 4 times this season.

Well things WHERE looking up.  

Wow!You seen all this with your crystal ball?

Wow!You seen all this with your crystal ball?

Yep because it seems Grigson has to make the same mistakes 2 or 3 times before he finally gets the picture.

People who are signed specifically to be return men and not as the 5th WR or something typically feel the need to justify being on the team.  The way they do that is by attempting to return every ball that comes to them on both kickoffs and punts.  

As a result you end up behind the 20 a lot because they try to return balls that they caught 9 yards deep and you end up with muffed punts because they won't call a fair catch and they have defenders slamming into them a quarter second after the ball touches them when they have no chance to secure it.

All of this in the name of a 1 time return for a TD that happens about once a year EVEN to the best return men out there.  

Yep because it seems Grigson has to make the same mistakes 2 or 3 times before he finally gets the picture.

People who are signed specifically to be return men and not as the 5th WR or something typically feel the need to justify being on the team.  The way they do that is by attempting to return every ball that comes to them on both kickoffs and punts.  

As a result you end up behind the 20 a lot because they try to return balls that they caught 9 yards deep and you end up with muffed punts because they won't call a fair catch and they have defenders slamming into them a quarter second after the ball touches them when they have no chance to secure it.

All of this in the name of a 1 time return for a TD that happens about once a year EVEN to the best return men out there.  

The player you describe is not Thigpen. He has no history of fumbles and does have a career average of 24.2 yards per kick off and 10 yards average on punt returns. Just because you remember Cribbs does not mean that Thigpen is like him. Your dislike of Grigson is showing and making you narrow minded.

All GMs are going to kick tires. In a sense that what their job is. I completely understand your point of view and understand your concern but you never know. Thigpen was not released for being a bad player that fumbled. I know he was listed as a WR but that was never his role. Let's give it a chance and if he don't work out I will be the first one to say it was a mistake. Good debate.

Looks like the coaches have seen the light. :)

Griff wins!!!!!

Thigpen has been released.