Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hasselbeck expected to start per Ian Rappoport (Merge)

Chucklez

watching ESPN just now, they just said that Matt is expected to start, however, if Luck's throw around it goes well and he feels good, he'll get the nod per Colts sources.  They said the final call will come around 90 minutes before kickoff.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he sits it's just going to be precautionary. If Luck was hurt that badly, his arm would be in a sling and he wouldn't be doing ANYTHING at practice. Did anyone see him throwing his arms up in the air during the Jags game? It was cracking me up.

I know it's not even in a sling and he can move it. I think it's precautionary as well.

watching ESPN just now, they just said that Matt is expected to start, however, if Luck's throw around it goes well and he feels good, he'll get the nod per Colts sources. They said the final call will come around 90 minutes before kickoff.

there is just so much information out there I'd stay in wait and see mood. Heck there is a small chance the Colts leaked the Hasselbeck is going to start tonight story to get the Texans to think they will play him and then trot out Andrew. What's more realistic is that these Colts sources are trying to keep the Luck could play narrative going to keep the Texans from shifting 100% of their attention to Hasselbeck. This reminds me a lot of a game in 1997 when the Colts were playing the Packers and Harbaugh was out and all week they said they were going to have to play Kerwin Bell because Paul Justin (the backup QB) was also hurt and game time happened and Paul Justin played. Maybe that will happen tonight with Luck but I think odds are Hasselbeck is going to get the nod. Just wait and see though.

there is just so much information out there I'd stay in wait and see mood. Heck there is a small chance the Colts leaked the Hasselbeck is going to start tonight story to get the Texans to think they will play him and then trot out Andrew. What's more realistic is that these Colts sources are trying to keep the Luck could play narrative going to keep the Texans from shifting 100% of their attention to Hasselbeck. This reminds me a lot of a game in 1997 when the Colts were playing the Packers and Harbaugh was out and all week they said they were going to have to play Kerwin Bell because Paul Justin (the backup QB) was also hurt and game time happened and Paul Justin played. Maybe that will happen tonight with Luck but I think odds are Hasselbeck is going to get the nod. Just wait and see though.

Agreed

watching ESPN just now, they just said that Matt is expected to start, however, if Luck's throw around it goes well and he feels good, he'll get the nod per Colts sources. They said the final call will come around 90 minutes before kickoff.

Playing mind games with the texans.

Not that anyone saw. Mike Chappell was at practice and said Luck "flipped" 2 screen passes. The only person who said Luck threw all week was Pagano, the same Pagano was very confident Luck would play last week.

Hmm well either way, this situation is far from ideal.

Although I always wanna see Luck in there, I think this is better for our future. No need forcing it. This season is still a playoff run for us win or lose tonight. But risking him could mean it's over for our future. This season and more....look what Washington did to Rg3. He should have never been rushed back all those times.

yeah minus the reports thst Pagsno is coaching for his job... Yeah no pressure to win at all...

Look rather fans think this is a super bowl team or not the team isn't going to give up on that and as long as they are in the playoff hunt there is going to be pressure to win.

Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for this team no doubt. It's just that I've tempered my expectations. And even with the rumors regarding this team, I don't think anyone is under a huge amount of pressure to win. If anyone is on the hot seat it's Grigson. There's still a chance we make the playoffs but not for the reasons you'd like.

Well, I guess let Matt get thrown around like Watt's rag doll. Let Andrew heal, not for NE, but for his long term health. Plus, matt got the ball out fast last week. If he can mimic last week against a suspect secondary, we have a chance and dont risk losing luck for the season. This isnt the biggest game, goota think long term.

Our odds with Luck or Matt may be very similar in this particular game.

The more i think about it, even if Luck can go, this may be a good move. I'm surprised our staff came up with it if true. haha

(U gotta keep ur sense of humor)

Most of the cited posts which have media talking about throwing are old news....for instance the Chappel report was from the 5th. So no one really has any news from the practice on the 6th.  From what I read on twitter the QBs did not throw during the "open portion of practice".  Who knows what happens after the media was away from the team.  It is really hard to tell if this is a smokescreen or not, but I wouldn't jump the gun too much.  ESPN is trying to get ahead, but if warm-ups go well it sounds like Luck could very well play.  We will see, hopefully we see #12 out there!

Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for this team no doubt. It's just that I've tempered my expectations. And even with the rumors regarding this team, I don't think anyone is under a huge amount of pressure to win. If anyone is on the hot seat it's Grigson. There's still a chance we make the playoffs but not for the reasons you'd like.

irsay was talking Super Bowl before the season. If anything I have a feeling the pressure to win is higher in the Colts complex given the start of the season.

i think most fans would be shocked to learn how little NFL teams care about them.

Ehh they care about the fans, they just generally feel and believe (with good reason) that when it comes to fans, winning fixes everything and losing is never acceptable.

Ultimately the amount of fan support they get is going to depend on how good the team is and if they are winning.  If the team is winning all the other stuff is easily forgotten about.

Their having Foster back and presumably not as rusty as last week will help their chances, for sure.  A lot of it really depends on Mallet and our cutting down on stupid mistakes.  I don't think Mallet's the guy you can lean on when you need to air it out.  I see this matchup as a similar one to the Jets.  And the Jets was winnable, despite all our stupid mistakes.  We cut out half those mistakes and our play calling makes more sense than it did in that game, there's no reason we can't put up at least 17 points.  We put up anything over 20, and there's a good chance we win.  Of course, now that I'm making htis prediction, watch - it'll be a 45-42 type game.  I can't even fathom the combined score being over 50.  Would be funny though.

Wouldn't mind seeing the offense put up 45. Wouldn't mind a bit. Hope this prediction comes true, OPC!

Not all is lost. The season isn't over and a 40 year old flu recovering QB is better than a QB who can't throw.

We'll get the W tonight. I'm confident

I just checked my magical crystal 8 ball. But I was told not to reveal the results. I can't jinx that, can I?

irsay was talking Super Bowl before the season. If anything I have a feeling the pressure to win is higher in the Colts complex given the start of the season.

Absolutely. Almost everyone came into the season thinking Super Bowl or bust. I would think after week 3 the outlook would have changed. Team is well short of that benchmark.

It was unfair to put that type of pressure on this team from the beginning.From 2-12 to the Super Bowl in 3 years? That type of turn around is unprecedented.

That's why optimism should be curved because the team is about to hit the team version of the rookie wall. We over achieved in a short period of time time given some extraordinary circumstances, but the team is still a work in progress.

Irsay shouldn't hold that fact against anyone. Grigson is under fire because of his overall job performance as a GM and future outlook, regardless of wins/losses.

We will see what happens going forward. When asked about the situation offensively everyone keeps saying the same thing from Kurt Warner, Eric Davis, Rick Venturi. Now I'm looking at NFL Network and Kevin Gilbride is asked about our offense he says pretty much the same things as Venturi. More 3 step drop quick passing game. More power gap runs with Gore.