Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwayne Allen's Comments on the Offense

Ja'Crispy

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he could actually hang on to the ball when it is thrown his way then he may receive the ball a few more times. Plus it doesn't help when you are not on the field. I like Allen a lot, and I do agree Luck needs to distribute the ball more to TEs and RBs, but don't mention it in the media.

If he could actually hang on to the ball when it is thrown his way then he may receive the ball a few more times. Plus it doesn't help when you are not on the field. I like Allen a lot, and I do agree Luck needs to distribute the ball more time TEs and RBs, but don't mention it in the media.

Allen has never had issues hanging on to the ball, outside of the outlier game vs Dallas.

Allen has never had issues hanging on to the ball, outside of outlier game vs Dallas.

The beginning of the season I remember him dropping two balls during the Bills game alone. I am basing my opinion off of this year not previous years as players fluctuate.

I think he is largely correct in his assessment, but that felt like comments that should be made behind closed doors and not to the media. Especially coming from a guy that is oft-injured.

Agreed, what Allen said to the media you know is going to be used to twist his words to make a juicier story. Why not voice your concerns with the QB and coaching staff not reporters, especially not Mike Florio.

More soap opera stuff.

I thought Allen's comments were more on the constructive side instead of the critical side, "What we should do from here" kind of thing.

it would be worse if it was week 13 hand he was complaining about what we should have been doing all season.

As much flack as Pep gets, deservingly so, he has shown that he will adapt to what's working. So I expect more looks to TE's and RB's. Allen just needs to stay on the field.

I have to credit Pep for realizing the Luck gameplan would not work with Hasselbeck. He needed more quick throws and Pep worked that in.

Could of swore it was during the Bills game, but now thinking about it I believe it was preseason vs. the Rams. You are right my bad.

He had 6 targets in preseason (5 vs rams) and zero drops.

I think you're referring to the Bills game. Dwayne had a pass or two that he normally pulls in but didn't. They weren't drops though because it was well defensed, meaning he was hit immediately when the ball got there and/or the defender had his hand in there.

I wouldn't start implying he drops a lot of passes over such outliers and non-drops.

Yeah, I know that we're all cooking up our own version of a joke about how he can't have the ball distributed if he's hardly on the field, but yeah- that. 

He's not the first player to throw their own 2 cents in on any given offense. It usually involves them getting more attempts. That's fine, but this comes off as a swipe at Luck and I don't see how that helps him, Luck or the overall squad.

As much flack as Pep gets, deservingly so, he has shown that he will adapt to what's working. So I expect more looks to TE's and RB's. Allen just needs to stay on the field.

Pep has not shown it when Luck is on the field.

He had 6 targets in preseason (5 vs rams) and zero drops.

I think you're referring to the Bills game. Dwayne had a pass or two that he normally pulls in but didn't. They weren't drops though because it was well defensed, meaning he was hit immediately when the ball got there and/or the defender had his hand in there.

I wouldn't start implying he drops a lot of passes over such outliers and non-drops.

Well then they were probably not registered as drops, but I considered them drops by my eye test. I am not brutal when I am judging a drop or not. However, you might want to rewatch some game and not look at just stats because there were some passes that he should have caught that he didn't end up making. He may of been contacted by the defender at the same time, but the ball still hit him in the hands and he dropped it in the process of the catch and no it was not stripped. I know which passes you are referring to in the Buffalo game including the one in the end zone and no I don't consider that a drop that was an overthrow that he may have been able to bring down, but it would of been a great catch. Past years Allen has proven he has had good hands, and he is a reliable target, but by judging him to those standards he hasn't been up to them so far this year IMO. His blocking has even declined a bit this year IMO (holding penalties). I personally think he has a lot of talent, and like him as a player, but I have to call it as I see it.

He's first year he was, arguably, top 5 TE in the league. I consider that at least near dominate. So, yes, I think he can be dominate.

That is the key word though. He COULD be dominant, and yes he has shown some great flashes, but I don't think he can call himself a dominant TE until he puts up more of a track record than the trainers room.

Well then they were probably not registered as drops, but I considered them drops by my eye test. I am not brutal when I am judging a drop or not. However, you might want to rewatch some game and not look at just stats because there were some passes that he should have caught that he didn't end up making. He may of been contacted by the defender at the same time, but the ball still hit him in the hands and he dropped it in the process of the catch and no it was not stripped. I know which passes you are referring to in the Buffalo game including the one in the end zone and no I don't consider that a drop that was an overthrow that he may have been able to bring down, but it would of been a great catch. Past years Allen has proven he has had good hands, and he is a reliable target, but by judging him to those standards he hasn't been up to them so far this year IMO. His blocking has even declined a bit this year IMO (holding penalties). I personally think he has a lot of talent, and like him as a player, but I have to call it as I see it.

It was one or two plays. And, it's never been an issue for Dwayne.

If anything it was Fleener who used to have the issue with dropping contested balls, not Allen. I was the one pointing it out when everyone said "Yeah, but he has a low drop percentage". So, I'm not just looking at the stats.

Like I said, 1 or 2 contested drops from Dwayne is not enough where I would start implying it's an epidemic.

It was one or two plays. And, it's never been an issue for Dwayne.

If anything it was Fleener who used to have the issue with dropping contested balls, not Allen. I was the one pointing it out when everyone said "Yeah, but he has a low drop percentage".

So 1 or 2 contested drops from Dwayne is not enough where I would start implying it's an epidemic.

I agree Fleener is the TE more so to drop passes especially contested balls. Flashback of that wide open pass he dropped against the Redskins. You are right it is not an epidemic, but I was more so surprised that he dropped them as I am used to Allen making those tough catches.

I agree Fleener is the TE more so to drop passes especially contested balls. Flashback of that wide open pass he dropped against the Redskins. You are right it is not an epidemic, but I was more so surprised that he dropped them as I am used to Allen making those tough catches.

I agree with you there. I expect Allen to win 90% of contested passes.