Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How AFC Conference is Shaping up After Three Games

amfootball

It has been an interesting 3 weeks thus far in the AFC. Many teams thought to be post-season favs are struggling (Ravens, Colts, San Diego, Miami). And then there are some surprise teams that are doing well (Raiders, Bills).

At this point the top teams are clear: Pats, Cincy, Denver.

The second tier teams appear to be Bills, Raiders, Pitt (although without Ben we will see how they fair the next month).

My overall take away from this season thus far has been the bad offensive football on display. As I mentioned on another thread, it has been brutal watching QBs like Fitz, Cousins, etc. just push the ball around. And the number of penalties has been ridiculous. Just sloppy play and undisciplined. That being said, it has been nice to see some new guys step up like Carr and Taylor.

Who do people see as dark horse teams at this point?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been an interesting 3 weeks thus far in the AFC. Many teams thought to be post-season favs are struggling (Ravens, Colts, San Diego, Miami). And then there are some surprise teams that are doing well (Raiders, Bills).

The second tier teams appear to be Bills, Raiders, Pitt (although without Ben we will see how they fair the next month).

My overall take away from this season thus far has been the bad offensive football on display. As I mentioned on another thread, it has been brutal watching QBs like Fitz, Cousins, etc. just push the ball around. And the number of penalties has been ridiculous. Just sloppy play and undisciplined. That being said, it has been nice to see some new guys step up like Carr and Taylor.

i would say Bills and Bengals at this point.

The Patriots, Broncos, Bengals head-to-head would clearly decide HFA in the AFC. Anything can happen but something tells me the Colts have dug too big a hole to get HFA in the AFC.

Broncos have both the Patriots and Bengals at home, they also have the Packers at home, so having tough games at home should help out their D and O, IMO.

The wild card teams will be the Bills and Steelers.

I see it as Pats & Broncos will have #1/#2. Then the Bengals will have #3 and the Colts #4. The Bills will have #5 and the Steelers #6 because of Big Ben's injury. I would not be shocked if the Steelers end up being a dangerous #6.

The Bengals always start off strong it seems. But they haven't won a playoff game since what, 1990?

It's early yet. New England looked bad after 4 weeks last year, yet won the Super Bowl. A lot is going to happen, and a team like Cincy or Denver could really struggle down the stretch (I don't see the Patriots struggling, however. They look to be truly by themselves in the AFC and maybe the NFL.)

Way too early to call. There is a LOT of season left. There are upsets every year, you know those games where a last place team unexpectedly beats a first place team. Happens at least a few games each year.

I would say based on the games so far, no doubt NE, Denver and Cincy are the frontrunners. It will be interesting to see how they match up against each other.

The Patriots, Broncos, Bengals head-to-head would clearly decide HFA in the AFC. Anything can happen but something tells me the Colts have dug too big a hole to get HFA in the AFC.

Broncos have both the Patriots and Bengals at home, they also have the Packers at home, so having tough games at home should help out their D and O, IMO.

The wild card teams will be the Bills and Steelers.

I see it as Pats & Broncos will have #1/#2. Then the Bengals will have #3 and the Colts #4. The Bills will have #5 and the Steelers #6 because of Big Ben's injury. I would not be shocked if the Steelers end up being a dangerous #6.

If Ben doesn't get hurt we would be talking Steelers for #1 Seed imo.  They have shown they are legit without 2 of their biggest play makers in Bell and Bryant.  Imo if Ben can only miss 4 weeks and they go 2-2 (I know easier said then done) they have a legit shot and sweeping Cincy and grabbing a top 4 seed. 

On a side note I'm happy for the Bills.  They look like they really have something put together finally.  :sip:

Bills are not a darkhorse imo. I called for them to challenge the Patriots for the division this year. Browns and raiders imo. The Browns are just right there, so close to being a competitive team. They show flashes often but they just can't close out the close games they have been having lately (including 2014).

It is early in the season, but it is still fun to think how the season might fold out.  I just lay out some thoughts  on selected teams in no direct order.

Cincy.  Looks solid so far at 3-0.  True they have not played the meet of the AFC, but have beat teams that are solid (oak is playing well, SD is not off to a good start but they are a solid team and Baltimore was an away game).  With Big Ben down and Cincy away game at Pitt is Nov. 1, it is likely that Cincy might play that road game without Big Ben on the other side.  With a Baltimore road win out of the way, Cincy is off to a great start even though they can fade as the year goes along.

Indy.  Well yesterday's win was really important.  Indy could still have gotten out of the hole to win the division even down 0-3, but getting a win at Tenn (likely the toughest divisional game) and now being tide for first place at 1-2, Indy is in great position to win the division again.  Anything can happen, but better 1-2 than 0-3.  As for a bye their early 1-2 hole might be tough to get out of, and too deep if they loose to both Pats and Denver.  However, bye might of been tough for Indy regardless of start, so if they are the #3/4 seed at 11-5 or 9-7, does it really matter as they are in the playoffs and playing wild card weekend regardless of they record or start.  Also, if Denver stumbles and Indy can beat Denver they will have that 2 game tiebreaker swing which could help to perhaps get a bye.

Pitt.  Given that Baltimore, Mia, KC and SD do not look that strong, I think Pitt has a good chance to make the playoffs even with Ben out 4-6 games and could help their divisional seeding with their head to head against Cincy with that Dec 13 game in Cincy perhaps keep to the division.  As the AFC north division winner will likely not get a bye it does not matter too much to Pitt if they are a WC team to divisional winner as they are playing the first weekend regardless.

Baltimore. Not sure if they are done, but likely will be if they lose against Pitt this Thursday.  With Flacco having fewer weapons, starting 0-3 and without Suggs, I think there too many team in their way for them to get in the top 6.   Also Baltimore is 0-3 in the conference with makes things tough for WC tiebreaking down the road.

KC&SD - kind of in the same group, will likely be on the outside looking in.  With their lost to Denver last week only reaffirms that KC is a team that can loose to any team on any weekend, SD is not looking strong.

Denver.  the D has look great three straight games, given KC/SD above they are in solid position to win the division, with a win against Indy they have a solid chance for a bye.  The offense looked better last night but needs more work.  Denver has some tough games on their schedule and it comes down to if a team in the AFC North can beat them for a bye.  With the head to head against NE could go far in deciding who has the higher seeding between the two.  If the D can stay strong, they are going to be in great shape.

Buff.  Good to see them bounce back to win yesterday.  Going 9-7 last year shows that buffalo is a playoff contender, they QB looks solid and are looking at being the strongest WC team.  Having lost to NE at home makes it tough for them to catch NE, the division the game in NE is a must win for buffalo.  Given that jets are 2-1 also, Buff needs to take care of business against the jets to hold on to a playoff spot.

NE. 3-0 and nice to see NE win two tiebreaker games against Pitt and Buffalo (on the road), With Romo and Bryant on the sidelines makes that road game in Dallas appear to be an easier game.  With Mia 1-2 they are likely not a thread.  If NE can hold server against Buff at home and split with the Jets, they should win the division.  If they beat Indy they should be in good shape for the bye and if they can tack on a win at Denver will be in good shape for a HFA

So I look at the AFC like this so far.

Bye teams: Cincy, NE and Denver

Division Winners: Cincy/Pitt, NE, Indy, Denver

WC teams Cincy/Pitt, Buff

Outside looking in: KC/SD/Jets

teams to keep an eye on: oak/tenn

Ha,ha. Did you see Marshall's lateral yesterday? He called it the worst play in NFL history. He must have missed the end of the SB. haha

He probably did it intentionally, so he could have something to talk about on the NFL show that foolishly has him as comic relief.

It's the Pats and then everyone else in the AFC as it stands to today. The only real chance at changing that perception soon is the Colts v. Pats for my dollar-given the Colts take care of the next two. Denver is nice, but it's not hard to see the wheels coming off there. Cincy get's no respect and they might deserve it, they might not. I don't think anyone wants to play them right now though. 

Wild Card is going to be wide open. 

To me, there is the Pats and then everyone else. As to who in the AFC is going to challenge them for the Super Bowl, I don't trust any of these teams. The Bills? They will provide for a competitive game, that's about it. The Colts are simply trying to salvage their season and find an identity at this point. Big Ben is out in Pittsburgh and their defense is not what it's been in years past. The Ravens are not going to the playoffs. Cincinnatti as we all know will cough up the season in a single playoff game. Denver will put up points, but on the road in Foxboro in January, an aging Peyton Manning stands little chance. They have a great defense, but it's not going to be enough. The Chiefs may finish the season strong, but they do not have the offensive firepower either to compete with the Patriots.

Patriots, Denver, are looking great. Bengals look good but they could just flame out at any time. I think the Bills are the real deal, as good as the Jets looked weeks 1 & 2, they have potential to flame out. Colts can probably win the South if they get their head out of their rears but flame out early in the playoffs. The Steelers remain to be seen without Ben. I think they may manage.

It's been a whacky start to the season and things could significantly change within the next 3-5 week. It's going to be a long, long season.

I thought KC was going to be good but now they're 1-2. The potential is still there though.

To me, there is the Pats and then everyone else. As to who in the AFC is going to challenge them for the Super Bowl, I don't trust any of these teams. The Bills? They will provide for a competitive game, that's about it. The Colts are simply trying to salvage their season and find an identity at this point. Big Ben is out in Pittsburgh and their defense is not what it's been in years past. The Ravens are not going to the playoffs. Cincinnatti as we all know will cough up the season in a single playoff game. Denver will put up points, but on the road in Foxboro in January, an aging Peyton Manning stands little chance. They have a great defense, but it's not going to be enough. The Chiefs may finish the season strong, but they do not have the offensive firepower either to compete with the Patriots.

Yeah I think the Patriots look a league above everyone else in the AFC. I think Denver's D has the potential to give them fits and the Bills could put up a serviceable game possibly. I think there are a couple a NFC teams that could contend with them, Cardinals, Packers and Falcons currently. There are so many bad teams in the NFL this year, haha.

Patriots, Denver, are looking great. Bengals look good but they could just flame out at any time. I think the Bills are the real deal, as good as the Jets looked weeks 1 & 2, they have potential to flame out. Colts can probably win the South if they get their head out of their rears but flame out early in the playoffs.

It's been a whacky start to the season and things could significantly change within the next 3-5 week. It's going to be a long, long season.

I thought KC was going to be good but now they're 1-2. The potential is still there though.

KC showed me tonight they are an Average team. It is amazing how Rodgers just makes everything look so easy. He has all day to throw. He loses Jordy Nelson and it doesn't matter. The dude is smiling with 5 seconds to throw on every down, I wish Andrew had that kind of time. Chiefs are known for their Defense and Cobb was wide open for an easy pass almost every down. I don't see anyone beating them. Is it their line or system though? I don't think their Line is dominating.

The AFC is shaping up poorly at the moment. 

I don't see anybody beating New England, especially not Denver. The Broncos offense has played so poorly in 3 games against bad to mediocre opponents, and their defense has yet to play a real offense that moves chains. 

I was high on Pittsburgh before the season started and I still believe they could survive and go in as a wildcard and knock out Cincy. They should survive a bit without Big Ben cause they've done it before in the past, but I'm not sure yet if I want to put faith in them. 

The AFC is truly the weak conference this year when it comes to the NFC. 

Arizona and New England would make an interesting SB if the Cards are truly a repeat of the 2009 Saints and they go there and shock Brady the way the Saints did with Manning's big epic pick 6. I'd love to see that happen with the Cards winning the game on a pick 6.

Funny how certain people just don't want to give the Broncos credit.

Before the first game there were comments like:

"Denver is facing 3 of their toughest games right out of the gate, Peyton is done, and etc....."

Denver is now 3-0, two of those were supposed to be tough road games, and the comments now are they havn't faced anyone yet. How does 3 of the toughest suddenly go to no competition? :scratch:

Funny how certain people just don't want to give the Broncos credit.

Before the first game there were comments like:

"Denver is facing 3 of their toughest games right out of the gate, Peyton is done, and etc....."

Denver is now 3-0, two of those were supposed to be tough road games, and the comments now are they havn't faced anyone yet. How does 3 of the toughest suddenly go to no competition? :scratch:

I think the three teams they played aren't as good as people suspected they would be. They are like a combined 1-8. Still it's the NFL adn wins are hard to come by, it's not college and you can't schedule Cupcake State. People have a bias against Peyton too. Don't let it bug you, they are 3-0 and opinions don't really matter at this point.

I think the three teams they played aren't as good as people suspected they would be. They are like a combined 1-8. Still it's the NFL adn wins are hard to come by, it's not college and you can't schedule Cupcake State. People have a bias against Peyton too. Don't let it bug you, they are 3-0 and opinions don't really matter at this point.

I feel like the whole league is a hot mess. Once you get past the 3-0 teams who all have their own warts too, it is a sea of mediocrity. I look at it as a gift season and one I hope the Pats take full advantage of as they don't come around often. It is early too so perhaps things will shape up later. I don't know.

haha it doesn't bug me. Just making an observation.

I was as skeptical as anyone after the first game, now after three games and looking at the next 3 I actually can see them starting 6-0.

I feel like the whole league is a hot mess. Once you get past the 3-0 teams who all have their own warts too, it is a sea of mediocrity. I look at it as a gift season and one I hope the Pats take full advantage of as they don't come around often. It is early too so perhaps things will shape up later. I don't know.

I'd like to think teams are just off to a sluggish start, but some teams don't appear to have any life at all. I'm surprised that Miami is as bad as they are. I thought both Miami and Buffalo would challenge New England, but Miami needs to figure something out fast. New England and Green Bay appear to be the most complete, and Denver's defense is going to be a force if they stay healthy. I'm still not sold on Cincy, but I'm going to wait until around Halloween before I attempt to make any playoff predections. Maybe the league will figure itself out by then.