Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How AFC Conference is Shaping up After Three Games

amfootball

haha it doesn't bug me. Just making an observation.

I was as skeptical as anyone after the first game, now after three games I actually can see them going 6-0.

If that defense stays healthy then Peyton won't have to do a whole lot this year. I'm sure Peyton is fine with short fields. It's nice though, if this does turn out to be Peyton's last year I'm happy he doesn't have to do it alone. 6-0 is very realistic.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to think teams are just off to a sluggish start, but some teams don't appear to have any life at all. I'm surprised that Miami is as bad as they are. I thought both Miami and Buffalo would challenge New England, but Miami needs to figure something out fast. New England and Green Bay appear to be the most complete, and Denver's defense is going to be a force if they stay healthy. I'm still not sold on Cincy, but I'm going to wait until around Halloween before I attempt to make any playoff predections. Maybe the league will figure itself out by then.

Miami seems to be having similar issues as the Colts. I think Philibin may get fired before season's end. They really need to beat the Jets this week to stem the tide.

I have been most surprised by Detroit being 0-3 and the Ravens 0-3. Both teams did lose some key players and the Ravens losing Kubiak was huge for their offense but still I didn't think either team would be winless after 3. And what about San Diego? Looks like Oakland may be the only team to really push Denver.

Miami seems to be having similar issues as the Colts. I think Philibin may get fired before season's end. They really need to beat the Jets this week to stem the tide.

I have been most surprised by Detroit being 0-3 and the Ravens 0-3. Both teams did lose some key players and the Ravens losing Kubiak was huge for their offense but still I didn't think either team would be winless after 3. And what about San Diego? Looks like Oakland may be the only team to really push Denver.

I think I'm more surprised by Detroit being 0-3 than Baltimore. I feel like Baltimore often gets a pass because of their history. You can't keep losing players and expect to be really good every year. I think the Colts have a better shot at a decent year than Miami. There is something off about the Dolphins organization. They almost seem like the AFC Redskins at times to me. I think the Jets will beat the Dolphins. I think the Jets let beating the Colts go to their head and they took a week off.

I think I'm more surprised by Detroit being 0-3 than Baltimore. I feel like Baltimore often gets a pass because of their history. You can't keep losing players and expect to be really good every year. I think the Colts have a better shot at a decent year than Miami. There is something off about the Dolphins organization. They almost seem like the AFC Redskins at times to me. I think the Jets will beat the Dolphins. I think the Jets let beating the Colts go to their head and they took a week off.

I don't think the Jets are that good to begin with. They pretty much showed who they are vs Philly when they got challenged by a good offense and defense that knows that Fitz is a lousy QB. I do wonder if they will switch to Geno. A loss to the Fins may prompt a switch. They are not going anywhere with Fitz. They will finish well behind Buffalo.

You are right about the Ravens. Too many losses. Flacco has no receivers besides Smith and this is his last year. Ozzie is usually good at replacing but just too many losses at once and the injuries too. They really need to figure out Flacco's contract too. The 11th hour is approaching fast.

I don't think the Jets are that good to begin with. They pretty much showed who they are vs Philly when they got challenged by a good offense and defense that knows that Fitz is a lousy QB. I do wonder if they will switch to Geno. A loss to the Fins may prompt a switch. They are not going anywhere with Fitz. They will finish well behind Buffalo.

You are right about the Ravens. Too many losses. Flacco has no receivers besides Smith and this is his last year. Ozzie is usually good at replacing but just too many losses at once and the injuries too. They really need to figure out Flacco's contract too. The 11th hour is approaching fast.

The Ravens at 0-3 is the biggerst disappointment of the season so far. We were facing that but Andrew wasn't  having it. In the 4th Qtr Andrew flipped the switch and went 11-13 with 2 TD's. The Jets are better than the Dolphins IMO. Jets win that game.

There are no dark horses.

After 3 weeks, if you ask me an AFCCG, it's Pats vs Den.

Two old guys showing why they are amongst the best ever.

No disrespect to Manning, but I do not think the Broncos are a better team this year than last and I think the Pats are better.  Last time these guys squared off the score was 43-21, Pats.  Granted that was in Foxboro, but Belichick will know and take advantage of Manning's tendencies and deficiencies.  Also, the game is 11/29.  Manning could look much older by then.  Time will tell.

No disrespect to Manning, but I do not think the Broncos are a better team this year than last and I think the Pats are better. Last time these guys squared off the score was 43-21, Pats. Granted that was in Foxboro, but Belichick will know and take advantage of Manning's tendencies and deficiencies. Also, the game is 11/29. Manning could look much older by then. Time will tell.

43-21?

I would love to see a replay of that game!.

Same story different year. Watch us all end up in NE again for the divisional or AFCCG after everyone cries doom and a fire dumpster in Indy and we are picked to lose in the playoffs early by some better looking well balanced team on paper.

Then NE unless barring a major injury or miracle for the Colts beats the snot out of the Colts. Since it's a league favorite pastime to have NE beat the Colts. It's destiny.

Then we take a WR or TE with the first pick in the draft and spend the offseason complaining about Grigson and Irsay.

The two teams that give me pause in the playoffs outside NE for the Colts would be Pittsburgh and Buffalo.

I have no doubt that more then likely we could take Denver or Cincy in the playoffs even if on paper they look better.

Yes the Colts are not that good but lets also be real. History often repeats itself unless major changes are made.

I like Denver's Defense better. That will be a great game to watch when them and NE play.

The only chance Denver has right now is that the game is in Denver. Often NE has faltered in Denver for some reason.

In reality I think the Pats will carve up that D. 

The two teams that give me pause in the playoffs outside NE for the Colts would be Pittsburgh and the Buffalo.

I have no doubt that more then likely we could take Denver or Cincy in the playoffs even if on paper they look better.

Yes the Colts are not that good but lets also be real. History often repeats itself unless major changes are made.

Denver and the Pats are the only 2 teams than can beat us if we bring our A game IMO. Cincy hasn't got anything when it counts. If we play Buffalo or NY again and we are rolling we will beat either in a Playoff situation. Steelers losing Benny will hurt them, Cincy will probably win that Division.

Denver and the Pats are the only 2 teams than can beat us if we bring our A game IMO. Cincy hasn't got anything when it counts. If we play Buffalo or NY again and we are rolling we will beat either in a Playoff situation. Steelers losing Benny will hurt them, Cincy will probably win that Division.

Steelers as a WC would not be easy at all for us. It could be a disaster. Ben has been out before and come back and they rolled.

Both WC teams if it's Pittsburgh and Buffalo could be HORRIBLE for us. Not saying we can't win......but it will be tough tough tough.

I hate to pick on the Bengals too much too. I mean what if they really do something and nobody expects it?

dalton-photo.jpg

I like the Bengals and love Marv Lewis.  With Big Ben and Suggs out, I think they can win the division.  I don't think Dalton takes them far in the playoffs.

who's going to 'rack up points' on Denver

Rodgers and Brady within a span of 3 weeks will tell us what the Denver D is truly made of. I still do not expect Rodgers or Brady to exceed 30 points vs the Broncos but defensive scores vs Peyton is not out of the realm of possibility to get to that 30 mark. We will see then.

Besides, even if the Broncos beat Rodgers and/or Brady, they will still have to show it again in the playoffs.

Rodgers and Brady within a span of 3 weeks will tell us what the Denver D is truly made of. I still do not expect Rodgers or Brady to exceed 30 points vs the Broncos but defensive scores vs Peyton is not out of the realm of possibility to get to that 30 mark. We will see then.

Besides, even if the Broncos beat Rodgers and/or Brady, they will still have to show it again in the playoffs.

Brady has an unbelievable record/stats vs Wade Phillips defenses. This article is back from 2013 with a synopsis of how Brady has performed vs Phillips, http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/football/patriots/christopher-price/2013/01/10/tom-brady-has-wade-phillips-number

Brady has an unbelievable record/stats vs Wade Phillips defenses. This article is back from 2013 with a synopsis of how Brady has performed vs Phillips, http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/football/patriots/christopher-price/2013/01/10/tom-brady-has-wade-phillips-number

Here is my counter to that article. It is all about the Johnnys and Joes Wade Philips has had.

It is funny that once Jack Del Rio goes to the Raiders, the Raiders give up 5 passing TDs to TEs in 3 games already. The achilles heel with the JDR coached Broncos was always pass defense vs TEs. The strength of a Wade Philips coached D is pass defense vs TEs. Wade Philips gets beat more by throws outside the numbers and when he has good pass rush and CBs, those weaknesses are diminished. When Wade Philips had Jamaal Williams for NT in the middle, had Merriman and Philips in their prime for pass rush OLBs, Jammer and Cromartie in their prime for CBs, that is when his best defensive numbers happened, IMO, with the Chargers. The 2 games Brady played against him then - a 17-41 loss to Brees and the Chargers in 2005 and a mistake laden playoff win 24-21 vs the Chargers. When Wade Philips had bad secondaries with the Cowboys and Texans, Brady roasted him alive. Just goes to show you, all the pressure in the world cannot do much if your secondary is bad and vice versa, both need to go hand in hand to have an elite defense. This squad is more like the Chargers squad he had, I feel.

Like you said, every personnel is different. More things will become obvious in November like you said vs Rodgers and Brady. But I promise you, Brady will not have a cakewalk like he has had with Jack Del Rio coached defenses, that is for sure :). Besides, which defense has Brady not had a positive record against?

Here is my counter to that article. It is all about the Johnnys and Joes Wade Philips has had.

It is funny that once Jack Del Rio goes to the Raiders, the Raiders give up 5 passing TDs to TEs in 3 games already. The achilles heel with the JDR coached Broncos was always pass defense vs TEs. The strength of a Wade Philips coached D is pass defense vs TEs. Wade Philips gets beat more by throws outside the numbers and when he has good pass rush and CBs, those weaknesses are diminished. When Wade Philips had Jamaal Williams for NT in the middle, had Merriman and Philips in their prime for pass rush OLBs, Jammer and Cromartie in their prime for CBs, that is when his best defensive numbers happened, IMO, with the Chargers. The 2 games Brady played against him then - a 17-41 loss to Brees and the Chargers in 2005 and a mistake laden playoff win 24-21 vs the Chargers. When Wade Philips had bad secondaries with the Cowboys and Texans, Brady roasted him alive. Just goes to show you, all the pressure in the world cannot do much if your secondary is bad and vice versa, both need to go hand in hand to have an elite defense. This squad is more like the Chargers squad he had, I feel.

Like you said, every personnel is different. More things will become obvious in November like you said vs Rodgers and Brady. But I promise you, Brady will not have a cakewalk like he has had with Jack Del Rio coached defenses, that is for sure :).

I do think this is his best defense but I believe Brady will pick apart the middle. Similar to what he did with Seattle. We will also see what shape Ware is in by then as he usually fades by end of season.  I think one thing is for certain, to beat the Pats a team has to score at least 30 or more. You have to have points and lots of them. I just don't see this Denver offense as being as formidable as other seasons so even if Wade slows Brady down and the Pats score 28, I can see that as being enough with them winning 28-21 or 28-24.

But lots of football left so we will see how things look come Nov. I am happy Rodgers plays them first as if he has success than that will be a nice blueprint for Bill.

I do think this is his best defense but I believe Brady will pick apart the middle. Similar to what he did with Seattle. We will also see what shape Ware is in by then as he usually fades by end of season. I think one thing is for certain, to beat the Pats a team has to score at least 30 or more. You have to have points and lots of them. I just don't see this Denver offense as being as formidable as other seasons so even if Wade slows Brady down and the Pats score 28, I can see that as being enough with them winning 28-21 or 28-24.

But lots of football left so we will see how things look come Nov. I am happy Rodgers plays them first as if he has success than that will be a nice blueprint for Bill.

You guys haven't learnt your lesson yet with the name Manning?.

Manning looks good week 3 with a broken offense. Week 12, that offense will be a well oiled machine. I will be surprised if NE scores 28.

I do think this is his best defense but I believe Brady will pick apart the middle. Similar to what he did with Seattle. We will also see what shape Ware is in by then as he usually fades by end of season.  I think one thing is for certain, to beat the Pats a team has to score at least 30 or more. You have to have points and lots of them. I just don't see this Denver offense as being as formidable as other seasons so even if Wade slows Brady down and the Pats score 28, I can see that as being enough with them winning 28-21 or 28-24.

How many teams have beaten Brady and the Pats in a shootout? Peyton in his prime with the Colts beat him 38-34 in the AFCCG and then 35-34 in that 4th and 2 game. I cannot think of many more.

Teams that beat Brady have generally limited him to under 24 points. If the Broncos win, that is how it will happen and Patriots history with Brady supports my argument.

How many teams have beaten Brady and the Pats in a shootout? Peyton in his prime with the Colts beat him 38-34 in the AFCCG and then 35-34 in that 4th and 2 game. I cannot think of much more.

Teams that beat Brady have generally limited him to under 24 points. If the Broncos win, that is how it will happen and Patriots history supports my argument.

I agree. If Denver can hold him to under 30 then they have a real shot but this Pats offense is humming like it did back in 2007. I more questions Denver's ability to score much over 20. Bill will take away the middle and force everything outside like he did last year. What will be interesting is to see if Denver can muster any type of a run game between now and then. They will need that to have a chance.

Do you think Kubiak has Manning revert back to his offense as some point?

I agree. If Denver can hold him to under 30 then they have a real shot but this Pats offense is humming like it did back in 2007. I more questions Denver's ability to score much over 20. Bill will take away the middle and force everything outside like he did last year. What will be interesting is to see if Denver can muster any type of a run game between now and then. They will need that to have a chance.

Do you think Kubiak has Manning revert back to his offense as some point?

219 yards in game 1, 299 yards in game 2, 354 yards in game 3. 

I would have to think they are on to something with that pistol they showed during SNF.