Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reaction thread: Fire all the coaches and the GM (merge)

SilentHill

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn all those many millions Grigs spent on FAs really was worth it huh?

They are all ancient.  We had no pass rush... we couldn't cover with our LB's, our one FA lineman Herremans didn't seem to help... (can we all agree we have the leagues worst C-LG combo?).  I also do not understand why Gore only played about every third snap. He'd have a couple good runs and then be gone.  Is he that fragile or tired? 

There is 0% chance of that happening.

Do you really want a guy that was run out of San Francisco despite taking the entire franchise from a gutter rat to a perennial Super Bowl contender?

I mean, dang, that says a lot to me. 

All that said, I would love to land John Harbaugh.  Unfortunately, that's not happening either.

I have a relative who works for the 49ers.  She told me the biggest issue was left wing vs right wing politics causing the underlying problem.   I don't know first hand, but she said Harbaugh wasn't being PC/agreeable enough to be acceptable to the owners, management and community leaders.   It wouldn't shock me as much as the country is divided.  

Luck is cool. It's that line. Look at some of those plays. Guys are unblocked, coming right in off the snap. If anybody has 2-300 lbs men steaming for u unblocked or barely blocked at full speed, u would throw that ball in the air too. Come on. Who's gonna stand there and get clobbered all night long? Look what just happened to Romo. He trying to live to see another day, forget football at that point. It's Players out here retired with brain damage man. They need to do something about that line. Period...and the defense. The defense was great against these Jets but 1 performance means nothing. They just got tired at the end bcuz the bum offense goes 3 and out all night long. We come with that defense like that every game plus fix that line and we will do some wonderful things against these teams with good defense. When was the last time our home crowd booed our Offense? Really? Why even draft Luck? Just wasting him.

bull he can lie down like Peyton or he can throw it away out of bounds he heaved a lot of balls toward the sideline but inbound that was uncalled for and he also threw them all to our smallest receivers as if they'd out jump these taller corners

Do the coaches watch game film to prepare for the Blitz; I'm going to send them my See Action Football game slide so they know how to use plays properly. I really don't think so. Pep is a joke with the so called offensive weapons and he has Luck throw to a bloated OL. Time to back up the U-Haul to clean house as GM had years to to get this team ready on both sides of the ball. The roster is seriously flawed.

The front 7 has been great both games, it's the secondary and offense that's the problem. Grigson is more of the problem then Pagano is. He's the one that traded for Richardson and drafted Werner over Rhodes. Grigson not drafting Rhodes still doesn't sit right by me. It frustrates me everytime I see Rhodes making big plays for the Vikings because he should be a Colt.

I'm done with the GM and the coaches.

I don't care how good their defenses are, this is now the 2nd straight game that the offense has been totally unprepared to play.  

This isn't even something on the defense anymore, the defense is now making the offense look bad.  

On top of that the things they say and do make no sense.  How many times has the coaching staff said someone was "day to day" and then that player landed on IR 2 days later??? 

The GM has screwed up so many moves and refused to fix the O-line.  His free agency solutions nearly always fail.  His first round draft picks since Luck have all failed.  His BPA draft strategy sounds great until he drafts a guy in the first round at literally the deepest position on the team.  Sure glad we spent that 1st rounder on Dorsett guys, he's pretty good for a #4 WR.

The D was pretty good last nigh, the run game was 4 yards per carry with at least half a dozen 8-10 yard runs so the O-line was getting holes opened - biggest weakness last night was ANDREW LUCK!   Clearly Luck is the most over-rated QB in the entire NFL!

Ehh I'm not as positive about the running game.  I think the stats look better then what actually happened and the reason is that every time we ran the ball there was about a 20% chance of a holding penalty.  

That's something that has been consistent in the early game, holding penalties.  

@mchappell51: Pagano on Luck and #colts leaky O-line: 'Been the case for 3 years now, has it not? Should be more than comfortable dealing with (it).'

SHOTS FIRED @ GRIGSON

Trying to figure out if it's Shot's fired at Grigson or being indifferent to the situation.

Grigson's work has been exposed early this year. Perhaps Luck is doing it on purpose because he knows the line isn't acceptable? I guess I wouldn't go that far, was just a thought. This is what happens to teams who drafted badly on positions of need last. Not a fan of him at the moment.

So, I've slept on it, and now I'm 100% sure someone should be fired this morning. Make it happen Irsay.

I'm not sure that firing someone right now is the way to go.  But unless things get really really turned around I think the whole lot of them needs to go at the end of the season.

For 2 straight games our vaunted offense has turned the ball over more times then they've scored TD's or FG's combined.

Grigson's work has been exposed early this year. Perhaps Luck is doing it on purpose because he knows the line isn't acceptable? I guess I wouldn't go that far, was just a thought. This is what happens to teams who drafted badly on positions of need last. Not a fan of him at the moment.

Same. He has not done what was promised in terms of building a monster... more like building a cupcake, a semi-sweet one.

No I don't think Luck is throwing the season or something like that.  That would be silly.

However I think defenses have caught onto it and exploiting it.  The solution to beat the Colts seems to be just blitz all day long.  Colt's can't seem to figure it out.  

Also I'm wondering about our vaunted WR corps.  The fact that they where able to blitz and no one got open is pretty scary.  Man to man coverage with no deep safeties on these guys and not a single one of them can get a step of separation to allow Luck to get rid of the ball.

Here's the thing, I was trying to avoid a doom and gloom mentality, but after watching the game last night, I have to chime in.

It's clear some of the coaches have NO IDEA what they're doing. Frank Gore runs for 8 yards to set up second and two...lets pass the ball the next two downs.

We do need a change after this season, or Luck will walk to another team. After watching the game, I seriously think we might have a chance at getting Jon Gruden. The dude is in love with Luck, and he's bring a no-nonsense attitude to the team that I think we need.

Also I'm wondering about our vaunted WR corps.  The fact that they where able to blitz and no one got open is pretty scary.  Man to man coverage with no deep safeties on these guys and not a single one of them can get a step of separation to allow Luck to get rid of the ball.

This worries me a lot as well. Like... a lot.. a lot. We are not physical enough to get separation and it looks like the receivers don't know any routes that can throw a DB off track. Throw that one at Pep or what?

This worries me a lot as well. Like... a lot.. a lot. We are not physical enough to get separation and it looks like the receivers don't know any routes that can throw a DB off track. Throw that one at Pep or what?

Gruden last night talked about that in the 3rd quarter I think... Our receivers sometimes look like they aren't even trying. Andre Johnson looks more like Chad Johnson...

I'm convinced Pagano goes, And Grigson might follow. This might sound silly but it appears to me, Grigson has gone with the "win now" approach instead of trying to build a team.

I mean it's great to be 11-5 3 years in a row and have 3 playoff wins but I think the band-aids have finally wore off and the true Colts have been exposed.

Greatness is measured in wins in this league, but the Colts are the worst "elite" team I've ever seen. They don't have the roster or discipline of teams like Seattle, Denver, Green Bay, etc... I think if Grigson would have try to really build this team instead of going for it all we would be in better shape. I know some people will say "we had a chance to win the Super Bowl the last 3 years, so he was right", but I don't think we were ever close. NE shows us just how far off we are.

We don't have a capable O-Line, only 3 "playmakers" on D, and a bunch of holes. A lot of that is on Grigson. It's hard though because it looks like he was right with the Anderson pick.

And I'm fine with the Dorsett pick....if they would use him right. If you're not going to get creative and use him then maybe you should have used that pick on a guard or defensive player.

I've been supportive of him but even Pagano is frustrated with him.

How did this team defeat Denver and Seattle and the Niners two years ago? packers 3 years ago? Then we can't beat the cowboys or steelers, now we can't even beat the jets

Team realized that the Colts live and die by the deep ball and if you blitz, there's no time for the plays downfield to develop. This is what happens when your receivers don't get open underneath. 

Not reading through the entire thread.  I can only imagine...   :thmdown:  :blah:

So far, it has been such a disappointing start to the season.   It was really hard to watch last night.  Andrew seemed "off"  and I'm not sure what the problem  (or multiple problems)  is.    I agree with others, that something needs to be done with coaching.  

We don't need :chillpill:.       :2many:     

to the point that I am starting to lose interest.    I sure hope some changes are made and we can salvage the season.  We have so much talent, and potential on our team, but honestly, they have been playing like crap.

Not reading through the entire thread.  I can only imagine...   :thmdown:  :blah:

So far, it has been such a disappointing start to the season.   It was really hard to watch last night.  Andrew seemed "off"  and I'm not sure what the problem  (or multiple problems)  is.    I agree with others, that something needs to be done with coaching.  

We don't need :chillpill:.       :2many:     

to the point that I am starting to lose interest.    I sure hope some changes are made and we can salvage the season.  We have so much talent, and potential on our team, but honestly, they have been playing like crap.

The part that I agree with most that you wrote is the something is wrong.  When something is wrong with your franchise QB who you will invest in heavily - you fire the coaching staff.  The offensive game plan was atrocious.  Andrew looks completely lost out there.  

Personally I don't blame Luck.

I believe he was hit as he threw on each of the interceptions.

I do blame the coaching staff.

The penalties were off the chart last night.

I go back to something that Reggie Wayne said.

I left the Patriots because it was "too hard and no fun".

I wonder what makes their practices "too hard and no fun".

It is probably the same things that lead the team to Super Bowl victories!

I am a professional sales and leadership trainer and I know a few things about teaching COACHES / LEADERS.

It's almost the same question we ask company leaders!  Do we have COACHES in management roles, or do we have MANAGERS in management roles?

Are we MANAGING NUMBERS or are we COACHING to the underlying issues?

Are we MANAGING a TEAM or are we COACHING INDIVIDUALS?

For me, I see it as a question of "Will" and "Ability" on the team.

Each player brings to the table a series of SKILLS which must be executed on each and every play and each player has to be assessed on each of those skills.  Yes it is important to understand and work with TEAM DYNAMICS but each player is made up of a "group of SPECIFIC SKILLS" which must be assessed and coached to utilizing the correct methodology.

Is the player WILLING to change whatever skill it is they are lacking.  Are they WILLING to work to fix the issue or are they just going through the motions?

Is the player ABLE to do to the specific SKILL required at this time.  ABLE is described as, consistently performing at an acceptable levels. 

Again, we shouldn't assess a PLAYER but rather assess and coach to each of the skills needed to be successful in each position!

Someone could be WILLING and ABLE to block on a passing play where the pocket is held.  That same player however might be WILLING but UNABLE to block a running play where he has to open a hole to the left and require specific coaching.

Another player might be UNWILLING and ABLE to play that role and the coaching methodologies look quite different for that same position with that same skill.

Depending on the mix of the two, there are very different coaching methodologies which must be used and I guarantee that on the team, we have a mix of all four potential quadrants with each of the players!  We need to figure out where our biggest gaps are, assess each of the players in those gaps and address them QUICKLY!

I would tend to believe that the coaching staff is coaching the players as a TEAM rather than looking at them and working with them as individual players with individual skills and coaching opportunities.

I see it all the time in the professional world and NEED IT here on our coaching staff.

My thoughts in reflecting on the past two outings:

1) many like to reference "off-season hype"- I would like to bring people back to the many off-season concerns regarding how we are going to manage resigning our two TE's with the plethora of other potential signings/re signings in the coming off season... it is also understood that while Fleener way offer more upside in regards to stretching the field vertically, it is also mostly understood that Allen is a more physical presence with balance in both the run and passing game. With the additions of Dorsett and Johnson at WR...could the focus this off-season have been to implement the more 3WR1TE sets we have seen, and a lessened focus on the power running behind multiple TEs? Perhaps the reason those heavy sets are "abandoned" so quickly in the games is that they are not meant to be the focus to begin with? *I am not advocating this is acceptable, just pondering the ideology behind what we are seeing... for this would not only play more to putting our best "play-makers" on the field (in theory), but also lessen the impact that only re-signing 1 of the 2 TEs this off-season less impact-full. 

2) while we can probably all agree that the o-line play has not be incredibly successful this season (and for most of recent memory), as well as agreeing on both topics of questionable play calling and errant decisions by Luck...but I would like to pose a point of debate... it had the appearance to me that on many of the "bad" plays that Luck was making, there was a constant- attacking vertically and damned the consequences. My question is this: what is the thought process behind these decisions? And i do not mean as simplistically as, "oh crap im about to get hit! lets get rid of this ball!!" - what i mean is- in the off-season with an abundance of personnel and "hype" surrounding the WRs and their abilities to make plays; is the mindset of Luck (perhaps the offense in general) get the ball down field and trust my(Luck's) and the WR's abilities? or is it simply the self preservation aspect? 

or perhaps I am searching for rhyme and reason to what question is answered, 42. but those are my most glaring observations to the season thus far. I believe our Defense has far surpassed expectations thus far (even against T Tayor and R Fitz). And I believe our Offense has shown their capable in spurts... but are those spurts caused by personnel, staff, or possible a change in culture/ideology- that has a learning curve from Lucks first 3 years, and is straying away from what the fans/media have come to understand as the Colts, in the Luck era.

For those whom took the time to read thru my first post here I thank you. I have been a Colts fan my entire life, and a very active reader on this board for some time. 

Thank You