Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our O-Line moving foward

COLTS449

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone is saying change the QB.  I want to change the QB coach.  that is my issue.  Luck is repeating mistakes instead of making new ones and to me that is a bad sign.  

My exact and entire response when reading your reply= "Yes". lol.  The players bring what to the table? Talent. Does Luck have talent? I slapped myself for asking such a ridiculous question lol...

but you hit the nail on the head...insanity= doing the same thing over and over expecting a dif result...

What do coaches bring to the table? Experience. Understanding. Motivation and ADJUSTMENTS. It is easy as a football player at any level (hs, college, amateur, pro) to develop tunnel vision. What do we as humans do in fight or flight mode? resort to what we kno best, muscle memory. How does one change that pattern of behavior? Coaching.

To me it cant be any more simplified than that. Is it on the GM? no...any person in management anywhere knows that the GM should have an idea/overview of the individual responsibilities...but that why there is MIDDLE MANAGEMENT lol. as to avoid micro managing and avoiding "tunnel vision". Is it on the HC? no, lol. Same justification. The OC? we are getting closer, but they are still like the store manager. No...the blame for Lucks repeated miscues then? the shift lead!!!!! i.e. the QB Coach.

the QB coach is the one whom needs to help Andrew in his continued development and help Andrew to remove the muscle memory/ tunnel vision that has been displayed thus far.

does changing the shift lead mid shift do more tho to help or hurt at that time? than one i have no idea lol. 

I've always felt that Chuck Pagano is too much of a softy when Coaching up the team. Pep talks only go so far. I know they're not College players and are grown men and that an @$$ chewing isn't always necessary, but it seems he'd rather be their pal than their Coach afterwards.

Some may say that keeping a calm demeanor shows that you're in control. If THAT was the case there'd be no reason to remain calm and collected now would there?

Anger is just an emotion like being sad, or happy. It's natural..it's OKAY to cut loose every once in awhile. As long as you don't overreact or go overboard and have a legitimate reason to be pi$$ed off in the first place.

Sometimes expressing that frustration in a productive manner will let others around you think: "okay, this guy means business, he wants it done this way, and NOW."

I'm glad Chuck Pagano said what needed to be said. The needs should have been addressed and hashed out in an Office before it even reached this point.

Even tho he hasnt been sacked much theres been no pocket and on about half of his passes he's getting killed right after he lets the ball go. There's times I see him let the pass go and take a huge shot and think, wow, will he get up from that?

weathers there's a pocket or not he knows the blitz is coming but the playcalls take to long to develop..it's a struggle for our plays calls vs a 4 man rush let alone the 6 we normally get..thus he needs to make the line look good like Peyton

My exact and entire response when reading your reply= "Yes". lol.  The players bring what to the table? Talent. Does Luck have talent? I slapped myself for asking such a ridiculous question lol...

but you hit the nail on the head...insanity= doing the same thing over and over expecting a dif result...

What do coaches bring to the table? Experience. Understanding. Motivation and ADJUSTMENTS. It is easy as a football player at any level (hs, college, amateur, pro) to develop tunnel vision. What do we as humans do in fight or flight mode? resort to what we kno best, muscle memory. How does one change that pattern of behavior? Coaching.

To me it cant be any more simplified than that. Is it on the GM? no...any person in management anywhere knows that the GM should have an idea/overview of the individual responsibilities...but that why there is MIDDLE MANAGEMENT lol. as to avoid micro managing and avoiding "tunnel vision". Is it on the HC? no, lol. Same justification. The OC? we are getting closer, but they are still like the store manager. No...the blame for Lucks repeated miscues then? the shift lead!!!!! i.e. the QB Coach.

the QB coach is the one whom needs to help Andrew in his continued development and help Andrew to remove the muscle memory/ tunnel vision that has been displayed thus far.

does changing the shift lead mid shift do more tho to help or hurt at that time? than one i have no idea lol. 

EGGxactly :-)

My only issue is that I don't know if the HC (Pagano) has the ability to make a change like that giving the information that has been leaked out as of late about the Colts front office.  If Grigs is indeed wanting to be a one man show then we are in for some long seasons...

I dunno man, I think he's pretty solid...

Um, Lance? #Colts pic.twitter.com/pGNY75bdqf

— Ben Gundy (@BenGundy)

September 24, 2015

What I don't understand is who was he even attempting to block?  The LB that is standing has the center to deal with so why leave a DEFENSIVE LINEMAN unblocked? it makes no sense... 1 down lineman with one standing LB and a wide OLB.  No matter what happens on that play there is never going to be more than those guys so why shift over?  Plays like this make me scream and throw stuff lol...

The only explanation I can give is the Center didn't give the correct call and thought he would be overran on the right side.  My issue with that though is he never even made an attempt at the middle lineman as the RG knew exactly where to play so that was literally an all Louis thing there....

EGGxactly :-)

My only issue is that I don't know if the HC (Pagano) has the ability to make a change like that giving the information that has been leaked out as of late about the Colts front office.  If Grigs is indeed wanting to be a one man show then we are in for some long seasons...

this has been my BIGGEST fear ever since the first mention of a rift in the front office...

if true...long season in the sense that even if not public, in fighting is still terminal to a team.

if false... there will now be a magnifying glass on everything done personnel (player/staff) wise for the entire season. and it will always come with the implications of, "this was a pagano move" or "this was a grigson power play".

but the worse fear of mine for the latter scenario is "fear". fear that any changes will be solely looked at as a continued rift as opposed to a team making adjustments...

this entire board wants adjustments to be being made...but i dont think most have come to the realization that with a continued front office beef...any and all adjustments will still be met with finger pointing. regardless of if the adjustments bring success...it will still boil down to a power play, grigs vs pagano

yeah man for sure...that was bad...im probably one of the worse at forcing a silver lining lol...i got nothing on that one...bad bad play...

from reads to communication to execution...bad lol

I mean, what are they saying in the film room when that play is up on the big screen in front of everyone? He should be put on the spot and called out in front of the whole offense by Pagano, Grigson, Pep, etc, and told that if that EVER happens again, he's benched indefinitely. Plays like that just absolutely can't happen. I'd be slightly more forgiving if it wasn't Luck's blind side, but even then, unblocked d-linemen screaming into the backfield should not be tolerated.

I mean, what are they saying in the film room when that play is up on the big screen in front of everyone? He should be put on the spot and called out in front of the whole offense by Pagano, Grigson, Pep, etc, and told that if that EVER happens again, he's benched indefinitely. Plays like that just absolutely can't happen. I'd be slightly more forgiving if it wasn't Luck's blind side, but even then, unblocked d-linemen screaming into the backfield should not be tolerated.

so i will not toot me own horn here, other than simply I do have a little bit of experience breaking down film at the post secondary level as an on scholarship assistant coach for a top 5 NAIA school in the midwest... :) ... i digress....

my best guess at the discussion during the film session, 

from left to right we read....outside defender far outside the tackle. AC seals off inside lane and forces defender to over peruse outside and up field. we see the defensive end and ILB "stacking" over the LG/left shoulder of the C....assuming its going to be a stunt blitz. this is strengthened by fact the DT is off the right shoulder of the C, and the last 3 defenders in the box are outside of the right shoulder of our RT. On the assumption that a stunt was coming inside left...the reads should have been: AC- outside defender, LG taking the ILB crossing to the outside, OC taking on the DL the is stunting across C to the right side of the box, RG- double down on the stunting DL and move up to second level, and RT seal the inside off and force the rushing defenders outside and up the field.

*we do see at the snap that LG Louis gets off the ball and looks where? inside! as he was expecting the down lineman to cross from center over to him at LG. you can clearly see him recognize the down lineman and even "check" him with his left arm...but his head quickly and clearly then moves and focuses on the ILB. now at this point...with his left arm still in contact with the DL, he sees that the stunt never happened, Holmes has not taken over the inside blitz, and because Herremans was man up centered with his DL, Holmes has moved on to the second level and his aiming at the non-blitzing ILB (in theory this should have happened, but Holmes hesitated on moving up field and when the ILB did start to come down field Holmes' hesitation left him out of position.) So because of this, when Louis realizes he has missed his actual assignment, it was too late. We now have a free rusher at our QB.

the discussion in the film room i bet was a negative mark on Louis for the hesitation and blown assignment...but id bet the focus is NOT solely ONLY on Louis....id bet this is a point of emphasis to the ENTIRE OL in regards to communication and making the correct reads.

people need to remember that not just the QB is making calls at the line of scrimmage...and blocking assignments are not meant to put each lineman on an island...it is the GROUPS effort, and communication, and identifying the correct reads.

Also. 2 top defenses in a  row that blitz ALOT.  That is what our o-line has had to deal with.

That is play calling issue.  You see a blitz coming, you run a trap, or a screen to keep the lb's back.

You don't drop back and look for WR's 15-20 yards down the field. those take too long to develop, yet that is what we have seen alot of.

edit to take out irrelevancies...

from left to right we read....outside defender far outside the tackle. AC seals off inside lane and forces defender to over peruse outside and up field. we see the defensive end and ILB "stacking" over the LG/left shoulder of the C....assuming its going to be a stunt blitz. this is strengthened by fact the DT is off the right shoulder of the C, and the last 3 defenders in the box are outside of the right shoulder of our RT. On the assumption that a stunt was coming inside left...the reads should have been: AC- outside defender, LG taking the ILB crossing to the outside, OC taking on the DL the is stunting across C to the right side of the box, RG- double down on the stunting DL and move up to second level (threat), and RT seal the inside off and force the rushing defenders outside and up the field.

*we do see at the snap that LG Louis gets off the ball and looks where? inside! as he was expecting the down lineman to cross from center over to him at LG. you can clearly see him recognize the down lineman and even "check" him with his left arm...but his head quickly and clearly then moves and focuses on the ILB.

now at this point...with his left arm still in contact with the DL, he sees that the stunt never happened, Holmes has not taken over the inside blitz, and because Herremans was man up centered with his DL, Holmes has moved on to the second level (eyes- protection), and is aiming at the non-blitzing ILB. (in theory this should have happened, but Holmes hesitated on moving up field (eyes on protection) and when the ILB did start to come down field, Holmes' hesitation left him out of position.)

So because of this, when Louis realizes he has missed his actual assignment, it was too late. We now have a free rusher at our QB.

**edit to clarify rushed typing at work lol..sshhh :)

Honestly and I know this is one of the things the forum is for but Im just tired of talking about it. Im ready to see it fixed or get someone that can. We as fans along with Venturi have talked about many of the things that need to be done now it needs to be done AND THEN after the season REGARDLESS of what happens you get a NFL quality offensive coordinator and probably a new O Line coach

This. I've slow motioned every snap and Lance Louis grades out better than Holmes or Herremans.

Maybe that's true, all I can say about the subject is that all three of them have been bad so far - and it certainly doesn't help that they're being bad next to each other. That just amplifies it. 

Can't do that.  And i'll explain why.

Good is yes raw, and needs to get up to NFL sped, but that's not the main reason. Continuity.

What if Mewhort, or Goode got hurt? That puts the healthy one switching positions to the one that got hurt on top of throwing in a back-up to fill that void. ESPECIALLY if it is Goode that was the one whom got hurt. That would screw up Mewhorts continuity of playing the position he's been at. 

Mewhort at RT with Goode backing him up is  the right call right now.  But  we really need to replace Louis asap.

I have to agree with lennymoore24 on this.  I do understand where you are coming from and think I have a solution.  Put Jack M back next to AC and we are set for the next few years on the Left side, IMO.  There was a reason Jack was drafted as a Guard vs a Tackle (his foot work).

Keep Holmes at Center.  Did decent between Jack and Reitz at the end of last season.

Now the solution, as I see it, Goode at RT.  Since the TEs and RBs have been doubling and chipping to help Jack M, you might as well put Goode at RT.  Goode will get experience and up to speed with the same help we are giving Jack right now.  If Goode goes down, we can use Herraman, like the Eagles, did at RT.

I know this is not a fix-all, but it could work.

I have to agree with lennymoore24 on this.  I do understand where you are coming from and think I have a solution.  Put Jack M back next to AC and we are set for the next few years on the Left side, IMO.  There was a reason Jack was drafted as a Guard vs a Tackle (his foot work).

Keep Holmes at Center.  Did decent between Jack and Reitz at the end of last season.

Now the solution, as I see it, Goode at RT.  Since the TEs and RBs have been doubling and chipping to help Jack M, you might as well put Goode at RT.  Goode will get experience and up to speed with the same help we are giving Jack right now.  If Goode goes down, we can use Herraman, like the Eagles, did at RT.

I know this is not a fix-all, but it could work.

I don't think many are understanding how far away Good is from being ready to play against edge rushers.  It would be an emergency situation, and we have several shifts we'd make before that would ever happen.  In fact, it would make the most sense to insert Good at Guard right now and play virtually any other player on our line at RT before playing him there (today).  

I didn't want to move Mewhort in the first place, but now that he is there, I like it.  You have to leave the Tackles alone right now - Mewhort has done pretty well against one on ones and we'll give him less and less help as the season progresses.

That missed assignment goes way beyond [insert the words I cannot find!] Luck may as well not even had anybody there in at the left guard position for that snap/play. I'm sure there were others that came close to that dismal performance.

oh yeah man im right there with you...that play was garbage. I was only trying to offer my simplistic breakdown of what was on display...

but Louis was lost and thats def unacceptable

oh yeah man im right there with you...that play was garbage. I was only trying to offer my simplistic breakdown of what was on display...

but Louis was lost and thats def unacceptable

Thank you for taking the time of doing so...perhaps he was distracted by a butterfly or something. That'd actually be a better excuse than whatever he came up with probably.

I don't think many are understanding how far away Good is from being ready to play against edge rushers.  It would be an emergency situation, and we have several shifts we'd make before that would ever happen.  In fact, it would make the most sense to insert Good at Guard right now and play virtually any other player on our line at RT before playing him there (today).  

I didn't want to move Mewhort in the first place, but now that he is there, I like it.  You have to leave the Tackles alone right now - Mewhort has done pretty well against one on ones and we'll give him less and less help as the season progresses.

I understand what you, but something needs to be done, last week.  I get why you think Goode should wait, but Jack has the same problem.  There was a reason Jack was drafted as a Guard, that he was slow on his feet for a Tackle.  We need another solution for our O-line.  Jack has not been that good.  He hasn't come up against a speed rusher or a good bull rusher yet.

IMO, Goode is being underrated. He played well during the preseason and with as bad as the O-line has been playing, why not give him the chance.  We have been using the TEs and RBs to help Jack, do the same with Goode.

I know it's not the best, but it's the best I came up with.

I understand what you, but something needs to be done, last week.  I get why you think Goode should wait, but Jack has the same problem.  There was a reason Jack was drafted as a Guard, that he was slow on his feet for a Tackle.  We need another solution for our O-line.  Jack has not been that good.  He hasn't come up against a speed rusher or a good bull rusher yet.

IMO, Goode is being underrated. He played well during the preseason and with as bad as the O-line has been playing, why not give him the chance.  We have been using the TEs and RBs to help Jack, do the same with Goode.

I know it's not the best, but it's the best I came up with.

Ya, it's not the Best but its Good!   :sorry:

Back to serious.... I think we all have things we'd like to try to optimize the line - all ideas are valid.  For me, its mostly about utilizing the quick passing game more.  We really don't have major O-line issues if we can simply do the obvious and throw some easy stuff as a foundation for our downfield desires.  The improvement from that is exponential without changing out a single player.

The player change I'd make is initially Thornton or Harrison for Louis.  I'm still willing to give Herremans another few weeks to gel and I believe that is the path of most rapid improvement coupled with less exposure to long developing plays.

Good showed us how raw his edge protection is against backups, and they were flaws that you can't fix in a few weeks of watching/practicing - nor do you want to expose him, as a developmental player to the shell-shocking that would come if thrown into water that is too deep.  He needs to be allowed to come along and grow into his physical tools. 

I'm at a loss.  I'm usually one of the most positive posters around but this team just looks soft and lost.  And when I say soft, I mean liquid butter in Death Valley soft.

It's gut-wrenching because the team looks like it is on the verge of completely imploding. 

Well, if that's the case, just tell all the old guys to go have a seat on the end of the bench and tell the young guys to go out and do their best.

Ya, it's not the Best but its Good!   :sorry:

Back to serious.... I think we all have things we'd like to try to optimize the line - all ideas are valid.  For me, its mostly about utilizing the quick passing game more.  We really don't have major O-line issues if we can simply do the obvious and throw some easy stuff as a foundation for our downfield desires.  The improvement from that is exponential without changing out a single player.

The player change I'd make is initially Thornton or Harrison for Louis.  I'm still willing to give Herremans another few weeks to gel and I believe that is the path of most rapid improvement coupled with less exposure to long developing plays.

Good showed us how raw his edge protection is against backups, and they were flaws that you can't fix in a few weeks of watching/practicing - nor do you want to expose him, as a developmental player to the shell-shocking that would come if thrown into water that is too deep.  He needs to be allowed to come along and grow into his physical tools. 

Problem is we can't optimize using the short passing game.  Our WRs aren't route runners, they are meant for speed.  TE on right side has to at least chip, which basically takes him out of short game.Short game calls for precise route running to get that 1 step opening.  The O-line has to stop anything coming at them and I don't see that happening the way our O--line is right now.

Like you, I don't see a viable option at this time 

What I don't understand is who was he even attempting to block? The LB that is standing has the center to deal with so why leave a DEFENSIVE

LINEMAN unblocked? it makes no sense... 1 down lineman with one standing LB and a wide OLB. No matter what happens on that play there is never going to be more than those guys so why shift over? Plays like this make me scream and throw stuff lol...

The only explanation I can give is the Center didn't give the correct call and thought he would be overran on the right side. My issue with that though is he never even made an attempt at the middle lineman as the RG knew exactly where to play so that was literally an all Louis thing there....

So there we are running play action like I've been asking for and Louis completely blows the assignment!

looks like the team will be getting a high draft pick doesn't it? no never mind, they play in the afc south. we need to stop pretending like us dominating this weak sauce division makes us a super bowl contender. I'd rather we suck and get a high draft pick, than dominate the afc craphole and get whooped in the playoffs.

In a way I agree. I'd rather them be exposed early on, and get the help they need in the draft, than to ride a string of hollow AFC South victories into the playoffs, and get humiliated by true contender. Of course, that assumes Grigson quits wasting 1st round picks.

as disappointed as I was in the o line all last year the came together in the post season and did very well in pass protection they look pretty bad this year.. I am hopeful that the worst is over for them and they start to play a little better and please please please grigs find a guard in FA we have to do something luck has looked bad that is true, part Is the line part is his fault but one thing I know ALL great quarterbacks at some time in their career will go through adversity and the ones that adjust and step up to that adversity become better football players and great quarterbacks. look @ brady last year vs the chiefs and raiders everyone talking how his career was over and then the * goes and wins a super bowl and last week throws for 1300 yds and 16 tds against one of the supposedly best Ds in the game I will bet every penny in my bank acct that luck will adjust and continue to improve his game and calling Andrew Luck overrated is the most outrageously dumb things I have ever heard in my life the o line has to improve no doubt about it but grigs has stuck to FA not the draft as a common belief is o lineman take time to develop plus commonly get injured early n their careers FAs Thomas, Costa, Cherilus there was another cant remember right now but those were obviously bad deals and IF we drafted O line in 13 and 14 they would be coming along well right now but that wasn't the case. all band wagon fans we will be making our next stop shortly feel free to jump off and we wont be picking up fans in January. as bad as the o line is we will win 10 games and go to the playoffs cant see us winning a sb but sure we can ruin someone elses season along the way, maybe we play well at the right time look at the giants and Baltimore and one more thing thank you eli manning for ruining the pats perfect season if not for you then they really would never STHU

GO COLTS!!!

I've been looking at the FA list after this season and I think its in our best interest to both sign a big name guard in free agency AND draft one in the 1st or 2nd round. There's some pretty good looking free agent guards in this class. Marshall Yanda, Kelechi Oseleme, Ritchie Incognito, Ronald Leary, Brandon Brooks, Ramon Foster, Alex Boone, and Evan Mathis (depending on how he looks this year) My preference would be Yanda obviously, but if not him then Oseleme or Foster. We could most definitely sign one of those 2 guys this offseason. Then if we could get a good guard in the 1st or 2nd round then we may be finally looking at a 'good" offensive line.

I've been looking at the FA list after this season and I think its in our best interest to both sign a big name guard in free agency AND draft one in the 1st or 2nd round. There's some pretty good looking free agent guards in this class. Marshall Yanda, Kelechi Oseleme, Ritchie Incognito, Ronald Leary, Brandon Brooks, Ramon Foster, Alex Boone, and Evan Mathis (depending on how he looks this year) My preference would be Yanda obviously, but if not him then Oseleme or Foster. We could most definitely sign one of those 2 guys this offseason. Then if we could get a good guard in the 1st or 2nd round then we may be finally looking at a 'good" offensive line.

grigs likes our o-line, he hand picked it.

Problem is we can't optimize using the short passing game.  Our WRs aren't route runners, they are meant for speed.  TE on right side has to at least chip, which basically takes him out of short game.Short game calls for precise route running to get that 1 step opening.  The O-line has to stop anything coming at them and I don't see that happening the way our O--line is right now.

Like you, I don't see a viable option at this time 

To the bolded...nonsense.  That is at a minimum overstated.  TY and AJ are proven route runners.  Dwayne Allen is outstanding in the quick game.  Frank Gore out of the backfield? Yes.  Even if Dorsett and Moncrief still have room to grow as route runners, as speed guys they require extra room, and don't have to run much a route to have space in the quick game.  

It works, we have great pieces for it, we just have to do it.