Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Parry and Anderson Ready to Anchor the D-line

IndyD4U

Nice article with some film break down. I think the pair will surprise many and the fact that they've worked together for years will help tremendously.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Colts-Rookies-Henry-Anderson-David-Parry-Ready-For-Starting-Roles/90466198-45ae-49db-ad5f-228923781a8b?campaign=social_20150909_52174586&adbid=10154146911615110&adbpl=fb&adbpr=133691530109

I can't wait to see how Anderson develops.  During the pre-draft moments when people were doing their mocks, I did some research on him and everything about him screamed JJ Watt-esque to me.  He seems like a hard worker and I think he'll put in the time and effort to develop well, so I'm really excited about his potential.

I can't wait to see how Anderson develops.  During the pre-draft moments when people were doing their mocks, I did some research on him and everything about him screamed JJ Watt-esque to me.  He seems like a hard worker and I think he'll put in the time and effort to develop well, so I'm really excited about his potential.

I think comparing him to JJ Watt may be a little over the top and pre-mature.  

Although if he is anything close to JJ Watt's talent we just got the draft steal of the decade.  

Although if he is anything close to JJ Watt's talent we just got the draft steal of the decade.  

Agreed.  I'm not trying to say he is JJ Watt or will develop into JJ Watt.  I'm just saying you can compare the two with quite a few similarities between them.  Anderson has a lot to do before he gets anywhere near Watt's level, but he could possibly develop into a poor man's Watt.

I don't think it was a comparison. Just a statement that they share similar traits.

Edit: 21isSuperman clarified before I posted this

Agreed.  I'm not trying to say he is JJ Watt or will develop into JJ Watt.  I'm just saying you can compare the two with quite a few similarities between them.  Anderson has a lot to do before he gets anywhere near Watt's level, but he could possibly develop into a poor man's Watt.

The fact is...... Watt is probably a first ballot HOF, and is a once in a lifetime player

I would be happy if Anderson ended up being 90% of JJ Watt.........  Very happy

Colts absolutely stole this guy. One of my favorites to study pre-draft and reminds me of Kyle Williams: http://t.co/bdpDZUc32u

— Lance Zierlein (@LanceZierlein)

September 8, 2015

Colts absolutely stole this guy (Parry). One of my favorites to study pre-draft and reminds me of Kyle Williams

I wondered actually because of his frame/size if Parry would be a better fit as a DT instead of NT on our System. I know we view him as NT but i dont know when i saw him play and given Williams comparision i wonder if we could see him on that role

I wondered actually because of his frame/size if Parry would be a better fit as a DT instead of NT on our System. I know we view him as NT but i dont know when i saw him play and given Williams comparision i wonder if we could see him on that role

I think him playing NT has to do with a slight change in our defensive philosophy now talked about in this thread.

http://forums.colts.com/topic/40129-clearly-a-1-gap-d-now/

Sounds like we are basically going towards smaller guys who can make plays on the DL rather then just guys who can occupy blockers.

This is probably why Chapman was cut.  He's a big guy who is somewhat decent at occupying blockers. . . but he's not a guy who's going to make defensive plays for you.  Kerr and McGill are smaller 3-4 DL who can make more plays.  

Not a DT in our system. But in a base 4-3 it's possible. Wouldn't be surprised to eventually see the Colts go back to the 4-3 though.

David Parry moves like a first year Ngata without the stout frame of Ngata, Pagano chose the wrong guy to make the Ngata comparison. He is the type of NT that you can drop in a zone blitz and that can chip an RB in the flat. He thinks fast, and diagnoses plays fast enough, and once his strength (which will be his weakness vs NFL elite OL) gets on the NFL regimen for a year, he can definitely be a play maker.

David Parry moves like a first year Ngata without the stout frame of Ngata, Pagano chose the wrong guy to make the Ngata comparison. He is the type of NT that you can drop in a zone blitz and that can chip an RB in the flat. He thinks fast, and diagnoses plays fast enough, and once his strength (which will be his weakness vs NFL elite OL) gets on the NFL regimen for a year, he can definitely be a play maker.

I remember in the Philly preseason game he recognized the short dump off to the running back and instead of going after the QB he stayed with the running back, blowing up the play.

A lot of people were saying that Parry was too small, looks like they were wrong.

Ahhh.....  Ummmm......    Parry hasn't even played a single NFL snap yet in a regular season game.

It's WAY too early to know if anyone is wrong.

Let's check back at the end of the season, shall we,  and find out how he holds up over a long regular season and the playoffs.

And remember,  I'm a Stanford fan and happy we got David and Henry.    But the jury is still out until they show what they can do in REAL games.

Hmmm....    this is an odd review of David Parry.

You're comparing David Parry to one of the great physical freaks of all-time in the NFL.    Never expected that from anyone.

You're talking up his athleticism while talking down his strength.    Feels like the opposite is true.    Remember, 34 reps at 225.

I'm curious as to how many snaps he'll play.    In the past,  we've used Chapman for about 20-25 per game.    I don't expect that with Parry.    More, I think.     But how many more, I don't know.    And I worry if used too much,  he'll wear down fast....

We obviously don't want that.   

Hmmm....    this is an odd review of David Parry.

You're comparing David Parry to one of the great physical freaks of all-time in the NFL.    Never expected that from anyone.

You're talking up his athleticism while talking down his strength.    Feels like the opposite is true.    Remember, 34 reps at 225.

I am talking down his strength because, regardless of what his bench press numbers are, when good teams recognize he is beating 1-on-1s, they will get double teams on him and I am not certain he can beat it at this point, IMO.

I am talking up his athleticism because he plays faster than he is timed because of his instincts to grasp/diagnose plays quickly. It is almost like he is playing like a player in his 2nd year jump. But like you said, the proof is in the pudding and we will find out when he plays through the season if he is still able to grasp plays the same way he did in pre-season.

I am talking down his strength because, regardless of what his bench press numbers are, when good teams recognize he is beating 1-on-1s, they will get double teams on him and I am not certain he can beat it at this point, IMO.

I am talking up his athleticism because he plays faster than he is timed because of his instincts to grasp/diagnose plays quickly. It is almost like he is playing like a player in his 2nd year jump. But like you said, the proof is in the pudding and we will find out when he plays through the season if he is still able to grasp plays the same way he did in pre-season.

Yeah, if I remember correctly Chapman held a NCAA record on the bench press. I want to say 580 lbs... We saw how effective he was

I'm okay with our NT being disruptive enough to command a double team. At that point, someone else needs to fill the void.

Good post....   agreed,  I have no idea how Parry will do if/when he's double-teamed.    He does NOT have long arms.   He's built like a fire hydrant,  a side-by-side refrigerator.   I agree he plays faster than he times because of his ability to read and react and his anticipation.   I just hope he doesn't get overwhelmed at the point of attack.

David is a great story.    Came to Stanford from Iowa as a walk-on!    Slowly earned a scholarship.   Earned playing time.   Earned a starting position.    He works......  hard!   

I'm crossing my fingers for David and Henry.    Want my Stanford guys to step-up and deliver!

Not a DT in our system. But in a base 4-3 it's possible. Wouldn't be surprised to eventually see the Colts go back to the 4-3 though.

I agree on he might be a better fit as DT on a 4-3, but why Not? I can see him playing a Justin Smith/Kyle Williams kind of role on our 3-4.  I admit i dont know a lot about the 3-4 (even if this is our 3rd year) as far as responsabilities/job for a DE and DT, but I dont know i feel like it would be limiting his style. It's like Ngata, he started as NT and then people realized that dude can create so much more havok on another posiiton so they switched him. 

BTW im not saying he is NGata is just an example i just thought about.

Hoping our d line is impressive this season. I'm even getting excited about T.Y McGill. Seahawks fans are ticked off that he got claimed. One fan said Grigson should already get GM of the year for claiming him. Others are saying he will be a star and flashed signs of becoming a dominant gap shooting DT.