Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is This Seriously The 2015 Colts Defense?

Pacergeek

I truly thought Grigson would do something to improve a defense that got shredded by NE twice last season. Instead of aggressively trying to improve the defense, with his trademark "swing for the fences" trades, Grigson has done really nothing to improve it. He cut two of his terrible draft picks in Chapman and Hughes, and replaced them with two more of his draft picks. With Grigson's poor draft record, I have no choice but to be pessimistic on both Parry and Anderson. I just can't help but think that more should have been done to improve the defense, and it appears that Grigson has again failed upgrading our defense

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you should try watching the games first before complaining. You can't judge current players over past failures. It's not like Grigson can just go out and trade for Watt and Kam Chancellor and ignore the salary cap.. lets just wait and see what happens.

Also at least Grigson is making changes. The run defense wasn't great last year; we drafted two on the d line and brought in Langford. Art Jones injury sucks but this should still be an improved line.

Inside linebackers were mediocre and we got two backups who are capable of starting in Moore and Irving.

Secondary is better as we upgraded from Landry at the safety position and Josh Gordy at the 4th cornerback position.

If Mathis and Cole generate the pass rush we need, we could surprise on defense.

I truly thought Grigson would do something to improve a defense that got shredded by NE twice last season. Instead of aggressively trying to improve the defense, with his trademark "swing for the fences" trades, Grigson has done really nothing to improve it. He cut two of his terrible draft picks in Chapman and Hughes, and replaced them with two more of his draft picks. With Grigson's poor draft record, I have no choice but to be pessimistic on both Parry and Anderson. I just can't help but think that more should have been done to improve the defense, and it appears that Grigson has again failed upgrading our defense

Grigson's poor draft record?

From his first draft -- Andrew Luck, TY Hilton, Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen have all been very good for us -- he nailed it with his first 4 picks.  Vick Ballard had a very good rookie year and is still on our roster.  LaVonn Brazill got in off-field trouble, otherwise he was starting to look pretty good.  Josh Chapman was a 5th round pick -- he didn't pan out, but how often is it that GM's nail picks later than round 5?  We also still have a UDFA on our roster from that draft in Griff Whalen.

His 2nd draft his weakest so far -- but we have a starting C, a guard who could start by the end of the year, and Werner (who has been a disappointment).  Our first 3 picks are still with us, guys taken after round 5 haven't panned out.  Hughes had a lot of upside with his size and speed, but he never seemed to be able to develop the strength and maybe lacked the work ethic to make it.  Boyett got in off-field trouble and I believe Justice Cunningham was in trouble for PED use.

3rd draft -- Mewhort, a starter for us.  Moncrief is primed to play a big role in this offense and on STs this year.  Newsome had a very strong rookie campaign. Ulrick John is still part of the organization.  UDFA's Erik Swoope, Dewey McDonald, Zack Kerr, and Jonotthan Harrison are all still with the organization.

So, in reality, Grigs has done a pretty good job before round 5 and a not so good job after round 5.  Believe me, not many GMs are consistently getting results from guys after than the first 3 rounds.

His sample size is still very small - but I would not go so far as to say his draft record is poor.  All of the players from this past draft are still part of the organization and he had another UDFA make the roster.  Time will tell on how this class turns out, but it is way too early to tell if this he did a 'poor' job this time around.

Whoa with all due respect, he drafted 2 rookie DL that have showed more in their very short time here than the 2 DL they released that they felt comfortable letting go of Chapman and Hughes

Not disagreeing, just need to see more than preseason.

Yes, Parry and Anderson are the only defensive players on the team.

I like our defense. I may stand alone on the matter, but that's fine

Best defense fielded in the Grigson Era

:colts:

You do not stand alone. The line in back of you is from here .................................................................................................. to there!

Grigson is damned when he don't and damned when he does.

He pretty much re done a good chunk of the front 7 which many people complained about and people are still complaining. Gotta love it.

It's because we didn't go sign Suh, Fairly, or Wilfork. .....or trade 12 1st for jj watt... or 3 2nd for Justin smith....

What was wrong with all the other threads devoted to the same topic?

I think its a getting noticed sort of thing, Maybe some feel if they make their own thread there opinion will get more noticed or they just feel compelled to make their own thread, Who knows

I think its a getting noticed sort of thing, Maybe some feel if they make their own thread there opinion will get more noticed or they just feel compelled to make their own thread, Who knows

Our N.ewly E.ngaged football friends may be spiking the water. I sure hope not.

I mean we did do a little to improve the defense this year dude. Cole and Langford are really solid starters. Now we should have been more aggressive I agree, but its not like we did nothing as your suggesting. Yeah we definitely should have signed one of Knighton, Dan Williams, or Wilfork. Or traded for Ngata. But I don't think we're in as bad of a shape as some think. Henry Anderson was an excellent pick. He's going to be a beast IMO. I also think Parry will be a really good starter. And I don't see how you can call  a couple 5th rounders bad draft picks either btw. But anyway man. We do need some difference makers on defense I will agree. I'm like you I think we should have swung for the fences. We're lacking superstar playmakers other than Vontae and maybe, hopefully Mathis if he's his old self. Maybe a couple of our young guys can break out. We have several possibilities. Newsome, Anderson, Parry, Kerr, Smith, and Geathers. A couple of those guys could and should break out and become household names.

I have two concerns with this new defense. Youth, hopefully we don't struggle too much as the rookies gain experience. Something Freeney said during his rookie year. After about 11 games he was getting worn down and recovery took longer. The end of November is the end of the college season but you still have 5-6 games to go in the Pros.

I feel his drafting has been solid... Its his free agent signings that have been the issue he pays way to much for bad players

Landry

Thomas

Cherlis ( no idea how to spell that)

Bradshaw

Nicks

Heyward bey

Rjf

Jones

The list goes on

So how do we know gore, Johnson, hermans, Cole, Lowery and Irving are going to amount to anything on this team? I'm not saying they won't but I'd hate for history to repeat its self.

I'll be one of the first to say that I think Grigson has made a lot of poor decisions on draft day, free agent signings, and trades. However, I will not go so far to say he has not done anything to improve the defense this offseason.

I think we should keep in mind that he only had so much money to spend. This year more than ever he had to think about future cap space with extensions upcoming for TY, Luck, Castonzo, and Allen or Fleener. It would have been great if we could have acquired Ndamukong Suh but he wasn't an open given his price.

Here is what Grigson did do.

- Cut guys who were either bad or adequate at best (Landry, RJF, Chapman, Hughes)

- Drafted what appears to be some nice additions to the defense (Anderson, Perry, and Gathers. Smith remains to be seen. Will be tougher for him in year 1 imo)

- Replaced Cory Redding with Kendall Langford (Langford is the better run defender)

- Added Trent Cole to OLB (an upgrade over what the Colts had with Robert Mathis injured)

- Signed Dwight Lowery (I really liked this signing. I think DL will be a lot better than Landry although that isn't saying much)

- Added Nate Irving and Sio Moore (they might start the season as backups but I think one or both of these guys could finish as starters)

There are some guys the Colts could have signed to upgrade the talent. Someone like Nick Fairley who I think the Colts were interested in. Overall I am much more optimistic about the 2015 defensive additions than I have been about any other year Grigson has been with the Colts.

Given some of the misses the Colts have had I think they did as good as job as they could THIS offseason at improving the defense. I'm not sure this defense has what it takes to do their part for the Colts to win the Superbowl but I do expect them to play much better against the better teams in the NFL. 

Signed Trent Cole

Signed Kendall Langford

Signed Nate Irving

Signed Dwight Lowery

Drafted David Parry

Drafted Henry Anderson

Drafted D'Joun Smith

Drafted Clayton Geathers

Traded for Sio Moore

Let's not act like he hasn't done anything to improve the defense.

Add Okine McGill Brown Guy and Price that's 14 new players out of the 26 we have on the 53 man roster.

We shall see how it works out but changes were definitely made.

Dude, seriously, what the hell? You used the correct "their" twice, but in the same sentence used "there" incorrectly instead of what should have been a third "their". That's like, art, or something.

Sorry, just giving you a hard time. :) We can now go back to our regularly scheduled grigson bashing.

Dude, seriously, what the hell? You used the correct "their" twice, but in the same sentence used "there" incorrectly instead of what should have been a third "their". That's like, art, or something.

Sorry, just giving you a hard time. :) We can now go back to our regularly scheduled grigson bashing.

Strangely enough math was my poor subject in school

I feel his drafting has been solid... Its his free agent signings that have been the issue he pays way to much for bad players

Landry

Thomas

Bradshaw

Nicks

Heyward bey

Rjf

Jones

The list goes on

So how do we know gore, Johnson, hermans, Cole, Lowery and Irving are going to amount to anything on this team? I'm not saying they won't but I'd hate for history to repeat its self.

NONE of those players have cash strapped the team. Grigson has pre-loaded the deals in order to help the Colts get out of the contract as quickly as needed. Landry, Thomas, Cherilous, and RJF were all let go before their larger cap hits affected the team. To put it bluntly, they were used and then sent on their way. Thomas was really the only one who got paid for not really doing anything and he really didn't cost the Colts much. Jones could possibly be the one who will have cost the Colts without giving much production. Regardless, Grigson has done an excellent job of maintaining the cap structuring contracts to allow early releases/cap savings if players don't pan out.

I mean we did do a little to improve the defense this year dude. Cole and Langford are really solid starters. Now we should have been more aggressive I agree, but its not like we did nothing as your suggesting. Yeah we definitely should have signed one of Knighton, Dan Williams, or Wilfork. Or traded for Ngata. But I don't think we're in as bad of a shape as some think. Henry Anderson was an excellent pick. He's going to be a beast IMO. I also think Parry will be a really good starter. And I don't see how you can call a couple 5th rounders bad draft picks either btw. But anyway man. We do need some difference makers on defense I will agree. I'm like you I think we should have swung for the fences. We're lacking superstar playmakers other than Vontae and maybe, hopefully Mathis if he's his old self. Maybe a couple of our young guys can break out. We have several possibilities. Newsome, Anderson, Parry, Kerr, Smith, and Geathers. A couple of those guys could and should break out and become household names.

We did pursue Knighton and Wolfork and Fairley. They chose to go otherwise. We can't make anyone sign with us. Some of you guys seem to think we can just make guys sign with us. Ummmm it doesn't work that way. It's called competition, money and choice. We can offer all day long but ultimately it's up to that player what he wants to accept and where he wants to go. Our staff definitely gave an effort on majority of those guys you mentioned. It just didn't go our way or it wasnt in the best inerest of the orginization. Ohhh well, we move on.

Landry

Thomas

Bradshaw

Nicks

Heyward bey

Rjf

Jones

The list goes on

The guys we brought in this offseason are proven commodities in the NFL. In past offseasons Grigson was overpaying for mostly unproven talent.

Signed Trent Cole

Signed Kendall Langford

Signed Nate Irving

Signed Dwight Lowery

Drafted David Parry

Drafted Henry Anderson

Drafted D'Joun Smith

Drafted Clayton Geathers

Traded for Sio Moore

Let's not act like he hasn't done anything to improve the defense.

Naaahhh if you don't go get the star players that everybody knows and hears about then your just signing and drafting trash. That's how some folks think appearently.