Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donte Moncrief Named Starting Kr

TKnight24

I'd be interested in seeing Duron Carter as the kick returner. I know he's on the practice squad, but I think he has the physical tools to be a good returner. I'd rather let Moncrief have more of a responsibility in the offense and let Carter take care of all kick and punt returns

Duron Carter returned kicks in preseason and struggled getting to the 20 yard line.

Good.  Donte's job will be to down the ball in endzone.  Our offense doesn't need extra yardage (which rarely ever comes anyway).  And, our offense doesn't need to start at the 10 with the 50% returning-team penalty frequency.  And, our defense doesn't need to be right back on the field with the frequent turnovers that come on returns.  Down it and let Andrew go. 

Good. Donte's job will be to down the ball in endzone. Our offense doesn't need extra yardage (which rarely ever comes anyway). And, our offense doesn't need to start at the 10 with the 50% returning-team penalty frequency. And, our defense doesn't need to be right back on the field with the frequent turnovers that come on returns. Down it and let Andrew go.

Just to be honest, if you're expecting Moncrief to down the ball everytime, you might not wanna watch the Colts this year

I'd be interested in seeing Duron Carter as the kick returner.  I know he's on the practice squad, but I think he has the physical tools to be a good returner.  I'd rather let Moncrief have more of a responsibility in the offense and let Carter take care of all kick and punt returns

Did you not see the preseason?  Carter returned kicks and was incredibly awful at it.  Full of indecisiveness and fear of getting hit.  Plus I am not sure I recall the last time I saw a 6'5" guy as a returner.  I would say he lacks the very physical tools you think he possesses.  

Duron Carter returned kicks in preseason and struggled getting to the 20 yard line.

Did you not see the preseason?  Carter returned kicks and was incredibly awful at it.  Full of indecisiveness and fear of getting hit.  Plus I am not sure I recall the last time I saw a 6'5" guy as a returner.  I would say he lacks the very physical tools you think he possesses.  

Ah, my mistake.  I didn't watch any preseason games, so I wasn't aware that he had his shot at returner.

None of them? Aw man you missed it, Parry put on a show. Guess you'll see it Sunday when he starts but it's gonna be a Stanford takeover Sunday (spoiler alert)

No, I don't usually watch preseason games.  I don't find them as entertaining, knowing the outcome is meaningless and that the Colts have a consistent history of losing preseason games anyway.  But I'm excited for Sunday, when they start to count!

No, I don't usually watch preseason games.  I don't find them as entertaining, knowing the outcome is meaningless and that the Colts have a consistent history of losing preseason games anyway.  But I'm excited for Sunday, when they start to count!

I do like watching preseason games to see how the bubble players play though.. that gets me excited. 

None of them? Aw man you missed it, Parry put on a show. Guess you'll see it Sunday when he starts but it's gonna be a Stanford takeover Sunday (spoiler alert)

I just saw Ian Rapoport tweet how we absolutely stole Parry in the draft. I also did not watch the preseason, only the highlights. We don't get the games in CT.

Edited by 21isSuperman

Just to be honest, if you're expecting Moncrief to down the ball everytime, you might not wanna watch the Colts this year

Absolutely get your point.  A guy who's going to struggle for touches on O.  That's when bad things happen.  Like, kick off returns in general.  Or worse yet, KOR's from 9 yards deep and we're starting at the 11, penalized, injured players, or turn the ball over. 

Moncrief sucks at KR

He hasn't looked good and we tried that last yr. He doesn't appear to have a feel for it.

Bray was our best KR. I would stick Varga back there. He looked pretty good in the preseason.

I thought Bray looked like our best PR/KR in the preseason I thought he might steal a spot based on that.

He hasn't looked good and we tried that last yr. He doesn't appear to have a feel for it.

Bray was our best KR. I would stick Varga back there. He looked pretty good in the preseason.

I thought Bray looked like our best PR/KR in the preseason I thought he might steal a spot based on that.

Anybody but Moncrief!  They struggle with this KR thing every year it seems.  Moncrief certainly isn't the answer.

Just down the damn ball and start at the 20, Nobody gets hurt gaining 2-3--4 extra yards that ya usually get past the twenty(And while the kick return yards may read 30 yards 5 yards deep in the end zone your still only lining up at the 25...not worth it) , Those couple yards are not worth the injury potential

I'm not sure I like the idea of using two of our WRs as KR and PR. I assume should TY or Andre get hurt, one of both of them would be pulled from this duty, but what if they get hurt first.

Griff Whalen would play WR

I really don't know who else you could put back there

Coaches should've just kept Quan Bray for both return duties

We have enough weapons for our offense that Quan can just be our returner

Just down the damn ball and start at the 20, Nobody gets hurt gaining 2-3--4 extra yards that ya usually get past the twenty(And while the kick return yards may read 30 yards 5 yards deep in the end zone your still only lining up at the 25...not worth it) , Those couple yards are not worth the injury potential

I agree. Mostly likely will not gain much returning it and there isn't a great need to get big returns on kickoffs (though it all helps) given this offense. It would be different if there was a Devin Hester type of player on this team but there isn't.

I agree, take a knee in the endzone. If they kick it to the one, haul tail!

He returned one kick in preseason. He only returned one kick last preseason. None during the season.

?

And what did you think? Tell me you came away thinking that he would be a capable kick returner.

Some guys you can kind of get a feel for when it is natural for them.  Obviously he could take a couple

more attempts, but I'm not optimistic.