Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Battle For The Starting Nt Is Down To 3...

weslo1812

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Colts-in-Search-of-Nose-Tackle-to-Stand-Out-at-Rams/741ce8b3-cd79-46b5-8710-129ff4da08fe?campaign=social_20150826_51497646&adbid=10154109753765110&adbpl=fb&adbpr=133691530109

Write up talking about the battle for the starting NT position. Right now it's up for grabs. Gonna be interesting to see who steps up to grab that spot. We need one of these guys to step up big time.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It needs to be Kerr or Parry. Chapman is fine if you want a NT to just hold his ground (Not great but decent) and not blow up the Center creating havoc for the Linebackers to make plays. On a limited snap count he is fine..But just fine. But we need our Vince Wilfork, By saying that I don't mean he has to be huge. I mean he has to be able to accelerate off the snap and be able to drive the Center off the LOS and be able to knife through gaps creating penetration. What we need is a NT that can do this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CacytOQM3zg&list=PLXA0objdPIl-48GLMBlckWXCVZEHsMUaR

Even as huge as Ted Washington was/is he could still penetrate a gap

Kerr has the raw physical skill to be that guy, He has to work on play recognition and technique

Chapman and TRich were highly regarded pro prospects when Alabama teammates. They must have had a lot of help that covered up their many limitations.

They did....The best O Line in college football at the time and probably the best linebacker corpse(who had no problem shedding blocks) as a unit in college football at the same time

Parry or Kerr IMO. Lets hope one of those 2 really breaks out and gives us a stud in the middle. I think Kerr may end up as the starter honestly. But if one of those guys breaks out our defense will be looking good. Chapman is just Chapman. He's not a bad NT but he's nothing special. He's maybe average. We need a star in the middle. Like a Damon Harrison or Dontari Poe type.

They did....The best O Line in college football at the time and probably the best linebacker corpse(who had no problem shedding blocks) as a unit in college football at the same time

That reminds me, many many years ago when my English wasn't great, I would always say "Peace Corpse" when the S in Corps is silent. :D

Parry or Kerr IMO. Lets hope one of those 2 really breaks out and gives us a stud in the middle. I think Kerr may end up as the starter honestly. But if one of those guys breaks out our defense will be looking good. Chapman is just Chapman. He's not a bad NT but he's nothing special. He's maybe average. We need a star in the middle. Like a Damon Harrison or Dontari Poe type.

I'm thinking Kerr myself. I like how Parry looks as a rookie. But I think a season of learning and limited reps might be best for him. Unless of course he shows out and gers the spot, then great. As far as Chapman, I wonder if he's too big honestly, and he just gets worn down quickly.

Parry, along with Anderson were two of my favourite D prospects in the draft. I was real excited when we got both. I think eventually Parry will be the NT. Really looking forward to these next two Preseason games to see how he does. I just hope the Coaching staff doesn't stick with Chapman simply due to experience. If Parry (or Kerr) are clearly playing better, they better put em' in.

I'm not that familiar with the position in general but one negative I've heard about Parry was that he's undersized. Maybe he just has substantial power and a low center of gravity w a great motor, I don't know.

Has their been any solid starting NTs that have been undersized over the years? Does he legitimately have the ability to draw double teams and could he also be powerful and skilled enough to take on the leagues best offensive linemen?

I'd say that Chapman has had ample time to recover from injury and adjust to the NFL. It's put up or shut up time and so far he's showing the same worrying levels of performance. Solid or steady at NT Isn't really going to cut it for us.

I'd roll the dice on Parry or Kerr but then again we should be rotating enough that all the guys get a look... Unless the D is only ever gig to be on the field 3 downs at a time :P

Through 2 preseason games, Parry has been the most disruptive. He gets in the backfield and at least slows the RB, even if he doesn't get the tackle.

Against 2's and 3's.....

He had a bit of time against 1's but he didnt flash like he did against the 2's and 3's against them. I think Kerr will take it.

Kerr or Parry needs to start.  Kerr has the raw ability, but was inexperienced.  Parry has a motor that doesn't stop.  Both attack the o-lines aggressively rather than trying to just take up blockers like Chapman. 

Experience for both of these guys would be good, especially Parry.  The more Parry is in with 1's, the more I think he'll learn and adapt.