Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Grigson Work The Phones Near Final Cuts?

BProland85

It would be better for him to bring in Evan Mathis to take over Right Tackle leaving Mewhort to cover the position of greatest need elsewhere...especially on a one year deal.  Depth... Depth... Depth....

Mathis is a guard,  not a tackle.    Or am I not understanding you?

I hope he would be looking for a backup Center instead of trying to get rid of people.

No matter what the roster size is you have to get rid of players to bring new ones in. I think the thread speaks for itself. Who knows? He might be looking at for a back up center and any other player who can back up at any position. If he can make a trade for a player he is going to cut it's all good.

Just because he's in Seattle, doesn't mean he's signing there. The Colts could of had him and allowed him to walk. Instead.. we keep a crippled Donald Thomas and Hugh Thornton on the roster. Oh.. and who could forget Lance Louis? I'm disappointed in Grigson for not signing Mathis.

you honestly have more reasons to be unhappy then just that

He's done this before trading ceasar rayford, Marcus burley, and Cody parkey, getting something back when we would have cut them.

Will he do it again this year? And if so who you picking that gets traded?

I say yes and my pick is Quan bray for a late rounder.

Seattle and Philadelphia got a steal with Burley and Parkey!

All teams know their own positions of need, and have their scout teams scouring opponents rosters for potential cuts. But working a deal gives a team more sure access to that potential depth.  So that would depend upon other teams scouting reports on our guys, and the value to their team.  Then sometimes a deal for a conditional pick can be agreed upon.

Redskins just pulled off a deal for Derek Carrier with the 49'ers...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/21/report-49ers-trade-te-carrier-to-redskins/

Hard to believe they'd spend big bucks on Mathis with Chancellor holding out for more money and threatening to sit out the entire season.  Who knows.  As for Mathis, I have heard he is a guard and a tackle.  When I suggested we sign him to play guard, Superman told me he played a different position last week.  Then on TV I heard them call Mathis a Tackle, so if he is a tackle, put him at right and Mewhort at Guard, otherwise, do the reverse.  Either way, we should sign him if he's available.  

Hard to believe they'd spend big bucks on Mathis with Chancellor holding out for more money and threatening to sit out the entire season.  Who knows.  As for Mathis, I have heard he is a guard and a tackle.  When I suggested we sign him to play guard, Superman told me he played a different position last week.  Then on TV I heard them call Mathis a Tackle, so if he is a tackle, put him at right and Mewhort at Guard, otherwise, do the reverse.  Either way, we should sign him if he's available.  

As far as I can tell,  Mathis has not played tackle in the NFL.     I'm NOT saying he hasn't,  only that I haven't seen evidence that he has.

Mathis DID play tackle for 3 years in college.

Let me say this,   anyone who signs Mathis is signing him to play guard,  where he's great.     If he can play tackle,  it's in an emergency situation.    It's almost impossible to imagine some team signing him and announcing he's going to play tackle for them.

If an average (NFL average) NT or G becomes a cap cut , or can be had for reasonable value

we need to be on them

If not to start, to a least be quality depth.

I am just not sold on Chapman.  

the NT spot is the pivotal key to the success of the 3-4 defense. I dont think that guy is on our roster

I like what I saw with Parry, but  believe we need another quality rotation guy

I hate starting the journey this year missing at least one important cog and

being so close to having a complete SB team

maybe even a C...  ???

I'm really curious as to why Evan Mathis is not signed by anyone yet...    dang Indy could use him.    And passing on the LSU G in the draft...       ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

yeah i was baffled by the fact grigson did not make an attempt at La'el Collins after the investigation in Louisiana was over. nobody made an attempt except dallas. as far as mathis goes, that is another one, Grigson i figured would have tried his hardest to get him in indy being he was coming out of philly. 

yeah i was baffled by the fact grigson did not make an attempt at La'el Collins after the investigation in Louisiana was over. nobody made an attempt except dallas. as far as mathis goes, that is another one, Grigson i figured would have tried his hardest to get him in indy being he was coming out of philly. 

He did try. He admitted on a local radio show that he tried his hardest to sign La'el Collins after the draft. Collins just chose to sign with Dallas.

maybe even a C...  ???

I'm really curious as to why Evan Mathis is not signed by anyone yet...    dang Indy could use him.    And passing on the LSU G in the draft...       ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Yeah, passing on someone all 32 GMs did.

Don't get me wrong, I was hoping they would pick him and immediately coming out and saying, "look, we completely understand that he is being questioned in regards to a horrific crime.  To our knowledge, there has been no evidence that he was involved and we believe that he shouldn't preemptively be punished for it.  If that changes, he has no place on our team."

But, there is a reason that everyone passed.  We don't know what they knew at the time.

Yeah, passing on someone all 32 GMs did.

Don't get me wrong, I was hoping they would pick him and immediately coming out and saying, "look, we completely understand that he is being questioned in regards to a horrific crime.  To our knowledge, there has been no evidence that he was involved and we believe that he shouldn't preemptively be punished for it.  If that changes, he has no place on our team."

But, there is a reason that everyone passed.  We don't know what they knew at the time.

They basically just threw the kid under the bus because of Ray rice, Greg hardy, etc

Yep..  coulda had LC on the CHEAP...     and at a position this team NEEDS.. 

it could be Grigson knows something we don't about Mathis too. Maybe he's done. While he's visiting other teams it doesn't look like anyone is tripping over themselves to sign him.

They basically just threw the kid under the bus because of Ray rice, Greg hardy, etc

I'd say more like Hernandez. It's hard to blame them. The public would have gone nuts if he was involved in the murder of a pregnant woman.

He did try. He admitted on a local radio show that he tried his hardest to sign La'el Collins after the draft. Collins just chose to sign with Dallas.

Yep. Not sure why people flat make stuff up or create their own narratives in their head and start believing them. It's weird.

I think he should try and trade Duron Carter and Vick Ballard. I know people blame Carters struggle on poor QB play but I think he's just average. Robinson makes Ballard expendable, and I'm sure the Cardinals would be interested. I'd be fine with a 6th for Ballard.

I think he should try and trade Duron Carter and Vick Ballard. I know people blame Carters struggle on poor QB play but I think he's just average. Robinson makes Ballard expendable, and I'm sure the Cardinals would be interested. I'd be fine with a 6th for Ballard.

What are you doing?!?

Why would you decide Duron Carter is "just average" after two pre-season games?!?    You're so much smarter than that!

And why would you think Vick Ballard has ANY trade value right now?     Again,  you're smarter than that!

This is complete nonsense and not worthy of you!