Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Geno Smith sucker punched; Broken jaw; Out 6-10 weeks (Merge)

bababooey

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one on the Colts would dare punch Andrew in the beard area...

He has sharp things in there

Actually, I'd be more worried as a rival about what kind of a furry woodland creature might lunge at you & go into full attack mode ALS. It's a valid concern though. I agree 100%

Thanks for the additional context regarding this situation BH4. I can't make a judgment 1 way or another without a sense of what provoked this act.  

Any fool knows you don't take a swing at the starting Jets QB even if he has yet to pay back a debt. Clearly, this wasn't IK Enemkpali's finest hour.  

Over a training camp fight? They happen every year, A QB just happened to be on the end of this one

Aren't most camp fights involving both parties in a tussle and teammates rushing in to break it up?  This incident appears to be 1 solid connecting punch.  No tussle.  Damage done.  Even so, I don't think Geno pursues anything.  The NYPD would have to intervene on their own, I would guess.

I can't believe people are saying this was warranted. You don't go around clocking guys just because they point a finger in the midst of an argument. We are a civilized society not barbarians.

True enough, Qwiz....but the way these two college-educated professionals (allegedly) handled their $600 dispute, ya coulda fooled me.

Over a training camp fight? They happen every year, A QB just happened to be on the end of this one

It's not a training camp fight, though.  It happened in the locker room, if I understand the situation correctly.  It's not like they were going at it hard on the field and just got really aggressive and played after the whistle.  This was a situation where one guy walks into a locker room and the other guy sucker punches him over a money dispute

It's not a training camp fight, though.  It happened in the locker room, if I understand the situation correctly.  It's not like they were going at it hard on the field and just got really aggressive and played after the whistle.  This was a situation where one guy walks into a locker room and the other guy sucker punches him over a money dispute

Yeah I didn't see the money dispute part, That changes things a bit, But still I got to believe if Geno would have been a quality QB there is a high probability this would not have happened regardless of money dispute....Just speculation and I could easily be wrong though given Ikemefunas past (Dude punched a police officer in a bar fight at 19 years old)

The jerk that did this has to go down in NFL as dumber than the guys that ran the wrong way after an interception. Of all the positions to wipe off the roster. Imagine this in NE or Green Bay. The NFL today has more behavioral problems than it does fans. The puncher here hopefully will never put on another uniform but then we are so-o-o forgiving wand willing to give second, third, fourth, fifth chances now days who cant say. What a huge black eye on the league.

But still I got to believe if Geno would have been a quality QB there is a high probability this would not have happened regardless of money dispute....Just speculation and I could easily be wrong though given Ikemefunas past (Dude punched a police officer in a bar fight at 19 years old)

never would have happened to a qb who is a true leader. i guarantee manning annoyed people with his perfectionism, but he had universal respect. luck is probably a little annoying, but mostly lovable & highly respected

Jets fans can't be surprised about anything anymore.  The entire team could come out faces painted like a clown, with pink leopard leotards and a tutu and line up for kickoff and Jets fans would just shrug it off like weirder things have happened.

Also, before this this all happened, if you were having a conversation with someone on some fictional scenario where some football player sucker punched a teammate in the locker room,  do you get the feeling that if it happened to anyone, the first person that would have come to mind was either Johnny Manziel or Geno Smith?  Because while the story is shocking in and of itself, for some reason, I'm not at all shocked that it happened to Geno Smith.

never would have happened to a qb who is a true leader. i guarantee manning annoyed people with his perfectionism, but he had universal respect. luck is probably a little annoying, but mostly lovable & highly respected

Loveable and highly respected goes out the window if you owe somebody money.  Not saying guys would sucker punch them like this * did, but I am sure their demeanor would change towards both if they owed them a substantial amount of money from gambling together.

I wouldn't consider it a suckered punch when he's in the guys face and putting his finger in his face. Diva QB got laid out as he should have

Ha, in all fairness to Geno though, at least according to the article I read, Geno was responding to Ik's harassment over the $600 plane ticket & not attending Ik's dealio, & that Geno was unable to attend the ordeal because his brother & a friend were in some type of accident, where Geno's brother was injured & the friend died...

So while I think Geno is still definitely a punk, it's probably not too cool to bug somebody in a situation where injury & death are concerned...

Either way, that's the Jets, business per usual...

Ha, in all fairness to Geno though, at least according to the article I read, Geno was responding to Ik's harassment over the $600 plane ticket & not attending Ik's dealio, & that Geno was unable to attend the ordeal because his brother & a friend were in some type of accident, where Geno's brother was injured & the friend died...

So while I think Geno is still definitely a punk, it's probably not too cool to bug somebody in a situation where injury & death are concerned...

Either way, that's the Jets, business per usual...

As far as I'm hearing its two separate versions of the story you are referring to. Seems they combined them into one. The injury and/or death excuses the absence. But weeks or more later you haven't paid him back over $600 when you make so much more than that, is a bit of an issue.

And this was a guy in a position to be leading your team...Who knows what the circumstances were surrounding the fight- regardless, the guy should never be involved in such an altercation. Whatever, the Jets are worthless anyway. Rex is in a much better place with Buffalo.

As far as I'm hearing its two separate versions of the story you are referring to. Seems they combined them into one. The injury and/or death excuses the absence. But weeks or more later you haven't paid him back over $600 when you make so much more than that, is a bit of an issue.

Exactly.  This was an issue of respect, not money.  Sounds like The plane ticket for Geno was coach (I fly all the time and that is going rate for coach tickets).  6th round linebacker asks for Geno to attend and secures a ticket.  I can almost see/hear it--

LB- Come to my youth football camp?  Geno - OK 

LB - OK, I'l get you a ticket and have dudes pick you up.  Geno shrugs.....  wlks off

Dudes show up at airport, No Geno.  LB confronts Geno, Why no show?  Geno - accident to a bud, brah.  .. 

LB - Cool, coulda called tho.  Gonna pay me back the 6 Benjamins for the ticket?

Geno - uh yeah, i guess sure I'll get it to you.

Weeks pass, no re-pay.  LB what up with my money dude? (Thinking slo-pay = No-pay)  No resprct there, confrontation alert...

I knew Rex (who drafted the dude) would pull him off the waiver wire.

I can't believe people are saying this was warranted. You don't go around clocking guys just because they point a finger in the midst of an argument. We are a civilized society not barbarians.

Ok, so let someone put their finger in your face and let's see what you do

The minute you open your mouth or put a finger in another mans face is the moment a punch is excluded from being referred to as a sucker punch.

Geno got exactly what he deserved in this instance.