Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Deflategate Central (one thread, merged, moderated)

IndyD4U

This game was a blow out. How about the week before ? If they on't win that one , they don't play this one. If he's guilty , which most believe , it's really not like you say.

I would be with you except that he did play the second half of he Colts game with inflated footballs and the SB as well. So again if haters want to hang on it so be it. That is nothing new since 2007 but the air pressure in a football did not cause Flacco to have that brain fart at the end of the game ... lol.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brady's legacy will be just fine. Everyone out there knows that this violation is a complete joke and something for which the NFL has made itself look foolish and incompetent as usual. And of course it allegedly occurred in a blow out win where Brad scored more points in the second half with inflated footballs than he did in the first half and then went on to shred the best defense in the league in the SB with the best Super Bowl fourth quarter in history.

Did you happen to listen last week to WEEI when they were going through the teams in the AFC East? They had Pats hater Manish Mehta to talk about the Jets. They asked him at the end what his thoughts were on Brady related to deflategate and he said that Brady will be ultimately unaffected as he is an all time great whose performance in the past Super Bowl cemented him as the greatest QB in the game. Now if anyone was going to try to use deflategate as a way to take a shot at Brady it would have been Mehta who hates the Pats more than anyone and even he said it won't matter.

What affected Brady's legacy the most these past 7 months was winning that SB in the manner he did. Had he lost that game, he would have gotten lumped in with Elway and Kelly and those QBs that have lost 3 or more SBs but he came through instead with this 3rd SB MVP - most in history with Montana.

You have a very bad habit of sharing one persons opinion and acting like it should be universally accepted to support your arguments.

"Problems with the first predicate. According to the official narrative of Deflategate, the Indianapolis Colts came to suspect that the Patriots were deflating footballs after the Colts intercepted two of Bradys passes during a nationally televised game on Nov. 16, 2014, which the Patriots won 42-20, continuing their lopsided dominance of the Colts. But there are gaps in the Colts story.

First, the game was played at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, meaning it was a Colts home game and as we have learned from the Deflategate record, the home team controls both teams footballs after they are inspected by the referees before the game. A home-team employee carries them to the field, meaning that any tampering by the Patriots would have had to occur in front of tens of thousands of people and hundreds of cameras, but no one has presented such evidence."

https://consortiumnews.com/2015/08/01/the-two-minutes-hate-of-tom-brady/

If you turned in a science paper to your professor, the goal of which was to prove that a set of footballs deflated by more than the ideal gas law would suggest they should have, and you provided a set of halftime measurements for each ball but then said "I didn't record the pressure of the balls before the game and I don't really know which gauge I used to test them...but I'm pretty sure each ball was at 12.5PSI or thereabouts and while I thought I used this gauge, my friend says I used the other"...what grade do you think you'd get?

This is a sting, and here's why...*s like Kensil thought that proving this case would be as simple as measuring balls at halftime, seeing that they were below 12.5, and saying "A HA! GOTCHA!". It's painfully obvious nobody in the league office had considered the fact that balls will deflate on their own in cold conditions. Why do you think they are NOW putting a procedure in place to test this? So they measured balls, found them a pound or so deflated, leaked a story that said they were all TWO pounds deflated just to get the public all riled up, and THEN they had their "uh-oh" moment when they realized that pressure drop occurs naturally.

As for the pathetic schadenfreude many of you exhibit who claim that the destruction of Brady's legacy impacts ME in any way, wow. That is about as pathetic as it gets and speaks to the psychological harm the Patriots have inflicted on you all as a fan base. Brady's legacy damage does nothing to me whatsoever. I live in Boston. Everybody here believes the guy is being railroaded and he will receive the loudest ovation you've ever heard when he makes his first appearance this year, whether it's game 1 or game 5. So what you think or what people in Tuscaloosa think doesn't matter a lick to me. The impact of this lies squarely with Brady himself. He's the guy who was unfairly targeted by a league he did so much good for. That's going to be Goodell's legacy and I hope he chokes on it.

Oh, it matters little buddy. Otherwise, you wouldn't be here pleading your case. LOL!

If you turned in a science paper to your professor, the goal of which was to prove that a set of footballs deflated by more than the ideal gas law would suggest they should have, and you provided a set of halftime measurements for each ball but then said "I didn't record the pressure of the balls before the game and I don't really know which gauge I used to test them...but I'm pretty sure each ball was at 12.5PSI or thereabouts and while I thought I used this gauge, my friend says I used the other"...what grade do you think you'd get?

This is a sting, and here's why...*s like Kensil thought that proving this case would be as simple as measuring balls at halftime, seeing that they were below 12.5, and saying "A HA! GOTCHA!". It's painfully obvious nobody in the league office had considered the fact that balls will deflate on their own in cold conditions. Why do you think they are NOW putting a procedure in place to test this? So they measured balls, found them a pound or so deflated, leaked a story that said they were all TWO pounds deflated just to get the public all riled up, and THEN they had their "uh-oh" moment when they realized that pressure drop occurs naturally.

As for the pathetic schadenfreude many of you exhibit who claim that the destruction of Brady's legacy impacts ME in any way, wow. That is about as pathetic as it gets and speaks to the psychological harm the Patriots have inflicted on you all as a fan base. Brady's legacy damage does nothing to me whatsoever. I live in Boston. Everybody here believes the guy is being railroaded and he will receive the loudest ovation you've ever heard when he makes his first appearance this year, whether it's game 1 or game 5. So what you think or what people in Tuscaloosa think doesn't matter a lick to me. The impact of this lies squarely with Brady himself. He's the guy who was unfairly targeted by a league he did so much good for. That's going to be Goodell's legacy and I hope he chokes on it.

He's also going to receive the "LOUDEST" ( 8 ) BOOOOO-S you've ever heard this year as well.

Yeah, I don't know why he thinks will hear the loudest ovation in history in Indy.

It won't just be in Indy.  He's going to get a reign of boos at every stadium not named Gilette. Every week. Not just the typical visiting team boos, but cheater chants thrown in as well.

Well, not every stadium. Plenty of Pats fans in Miami and nobody goes to Jacksonville games lol...

I love the fact that every Pats fan is crying about Brady's legacy. Everytime they try to convince someone that he is the GOAT, they know deep down inside that no matter how much they shout it from the roof tops...no one believes them! Hahaha...it's awesome! We all know one of the best parts of being a sports fan is bragging about how good your guy/team is. Well, they lost that. They can say as much as they want they know he is the best and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, but ah...it does...it does.

How pathetic.

I've never seen a fan base try so hard to convince themselves that an opponents' rep is ruined.

Or did you miss the vast number of NFL players who have said the EXACT opposite? Heck, even Pollard said so yesterday, and he hates Brady.

Too much protestation coming from our New England brethern. Too much. And we know what that means, don't we..

Which I don't understand because a couple of them have admitted that they thought Brady was guilty. Now they're singing a different tune? And everything this AM guy says has to be a joke. Like I said before, I believe we are being trolled, nothing more, nothing less.

How pathetic.

I've never seen a fan base try so hard to convince themselves that an opponents' rep is ruined.

Or did you miss the vast number of NFL players who have said the EXACT opposite? Heck, even Pollard said so yesterday, and he hates Brady.

Hilarious, I'm not trying to convince myself of anything. In fact, it's the exact opposite...Pats fans everywhere screaming from the rooftops to get their points across, it's ugly.

Want proof? I'm not on a Pats forum trying to convince others to think like me, where are you at right now?

"Problems with the first predicate. According to the official narrative of Deflategate, the Indianapolis Colts came to suspect that the Patriots were deflating footballs after the Colts intercepted two of Bradys passes during a nationally televised game on Nov. 16, 2014, which the Patriots won 42-20, continuing their lopsided dominance of the Colts. But there are gaps in the Colts story.

First, the game was played at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, meaning it was a Colts home game and as we have learned from the Deflategate record, the home team controls both teams footballs after they are inspected by the referees before the game. A home-team employee carries them to the field, meaning that any tampering by the Patriots would have had to occur in front of tens of thousands of people and hundreds of cameras, but no one has presented such evidence."

https://consortiumnews.com/2015/08/01/the-two-minutes-hate-of-tom-brady/

so somebody couldn't steal them from the refs.

Are you admitting you believe they were cheating in all home games?

How pathetic.

And Terrell Suggs who hates Brady the most.

You have a very bad habit of sharing one persons opinion and acting like it should be universally accepted to support your arguments.

A NY reporter that LOATHES the patriots is probably a pretty good barometer on how much anyone views deflategate in terms of Brady's overall legacy and accomplishments. But I am game to wait and see how things all shake out the rest of this year and years from now when this will be the smallest of blips IMO if it even gets mentioned at all ...

Brady's legacy will be just fine. Everyone out there knows that this violation is a complete joke and something for which the NFL has made itself look foolish and incompetent as usual. And of course it allegedly occurred in a blow out win where Brad scored more points in the second half with inflated footballs than he did in the first half and then went on to shred the best defense in the league in the SB with the best Super Bowl fourth quarter in history.

Did you happen to listen last week to WEEI when they were going through the teams in the AFC East? They had Pats hater Manish Mehta to talk about the Jets. They asked him at the end what his thoughts were on Brady related to deflategate and he said that Brady will be ultimately unaffected as he is an all time great whose performance in the past Super Bowl cemented him as the greatest QB in the game. Now if anyone was going to try to use deflategate as a way to take a shot at Brady it would have been Mehta who hates the Pats more than anyone and even he said it won't matter. 

What affected Brady's legacy the most these past 7 months was winning that SB in the manner he did. Had he lost that game, he would have gotten lumped in with Elway and Kelly and those QBs that have lost 3 or more SBs but he came through instead with this 3rd SB MVP - most in history with Montana.

To the red, come on, clearly everyone out there does not know that the violation is a complete joke.

To the blue, irrelevant

As to the rest on what various selected individuals have to say about Tom Brady's legacy.......YAWN.  

Don't forget that when the equipment manager went to the restroom for 70 seconds to "do his business," he claimed he used a urinal when one in fact doesn't actually exist in that restroom.

Also don't forget the deflator cell phone comments.

Two more key points by you!   

Thanks very much!!        :thmup:

To the red, come on, clearly everyone out there does not know that the violation is a complete joke.

To the blue, irrelevant

As to the rest on what various selected individuals have to say about Tom Brady's legacy.......YAWN.  

To your red - if they don't then they need to educate themselves as the NFL in its history has never punished such a violation by anything more than a warning or a fine. And further, a deflated football has disadvantages too as it does not travel as fast (velocity diminished) or as far (distance). That is why it is a preference thing where some Qbs like it on the light side for grip and feel while others like Rodgers like it on the higher side for distance and velocity.

To the blue - it is not irrelevant because we are talking about degree of competitive advantage as that is the main reason why the NFL has never come down hard on it or any pro sport for that matter because the advantaged gained is minimal and the fact that Brady scored MORE points with the pumped up footballs in the second half of the AFCCG when the weather worsened shows just how insignificant it was in terms of a competitive advantage on top of his blistering performance verse Seattle in the SB.

How pathetic.

Did you miss one of your brethrens (Bad Morty) posts earlier that stated tommy terrifics legacy has been destroyed? lol

To your red - if they don't then they need to educate themselves as the NFL in its history has never punished such a violation by anything more than a warning or a fine. And further, a deflated football has disadvantages too as it does not travel as fast (velocity diminished) or as far (distance). That is why it is a preference thing where some Qbs like it on the light side for grip and feel while others like Rodgers like it on the higher side for distance and velocity.

To the blue - it is not irrelevant because we are talking about degree of competitive advantage as that is the main reason why the NFL has never come down hard on it or any pro sport for that matter because the advantaged gained is minimal and the fact that Brady scored MORE points with the pumped up footballs in the second half of the AFCCG when the weather worsened shows just how insignificant it was in terms of a competitive advantage on top of his blistering performance verse Seattle in the SB.

Your Red - While one likes it high and one likes it low...only one changes the value after the balls have been tested which is illegal.

Your Blue - oh really? Pro sports don't think modifying equipment causes a competitive advantage? Tell that to Sammy Sosa and his corked bat? What about scuffing baseball's or Vaseline on baseballs?

Not having beginning measurements by definition means that statements regarding the change in pressure when the balls were measured at halftime are estimates, not actual numbers. I would think that would be a somewhat critical omission of data that the league should have considered before destroying a guy's legacy the way they have.

You do know that ever since football has been played, it ihas ne ver been a requirement of the NFL to record pre-game psi levels.  Only that the Head Ref verify they are in the range of 12.5 - 13.5 and then mark them so thye can be identified as legal games balls. Never  in the time since the beginning has it ever mattered.  Until the Pats got caught stealing them for the officials locker room and taking them into seacret/private areas before heading out to the field with them.

Also the league Mandates that all must fit within the 12.5-13.5  psi range.  Dean Blandino went down to Walt Anderson before the game and said to be sure ALL of the games balls were tested and marked accordingly.  Walt Anderson himself said 10 of the 12 Pats balls fit that range, and he had to add air to two of them.  So it is at worst a highly educated estimate that all Patriots balls were at least 12.5 psi.  And thus that is the benchmark I used in my calculations.  If you want to assert Anderson never checked them despite being asked by his boss (VP of officiating), then you implicate the Officials for not doing their job.  OTOH, the other scenario is you feel the Ref deliberately let out air of the Pats balls and were in on the sting.  The fact McNally stole them and hid in a bathroom with it was added awesome sauce for the NFL to cover up the deed, right?  Otherwise your claim has no merit because Wells. Exponent, and myself assume best case scenario for the Pats balls, at the low ragged edge of legal.  If pregame measurements were made that showed some higher, then my ideal gas law calculations are even more damning.

Now if it was required and not done, you would have a better leg to stand on, because then you could contend the balls never were up to proper level, and the Ref blew it by not checking them.  But that's not what happened here, nor what was required.  You'll see this case won't be decided upon that point, not at all.

Really?  You're going here to make your point?  Build a nice straw man then knock it down and claim your victory?  What if it didn't go as you state. What if it went something like this-

Investigator claims all scientific test have assumptions.  We do here as well, but later we will test the assumption.  Then go on using the fact the Ref was told 12.5 was the minimum for all balls, so 12.5 can be assumed as the low figure in the calculations.  After all is said and done the point is brought up that there were two gauges.  and one of them makes it look like most of the Pats balls fail the ideal gas law, and thus tampering could be a factor.  But with the other gauge, most of the balls measure in a range the ideal gas law predicts.  So Pats fans say that one was used, all is good.  But  now it it time for another test, the test of the original assumption.  That 12.5 psi measured on the lower reading gauge can be used for determination of pregame levels, even if not written down.

Pats equipment manager measured and set all balls to 12.5 (his testimony!).  Colts equipment manager set all 12 of their balls at 13.0 psi.  Walt Anderson testified all Colts balls measure fine pre-game, no adjustment.  Anderson reports 10 of the 12 Pats balls were at least 12.5 psi.  How can we tell which gauge Anderson used to measure pre game?  Compare all gauges to a calibrated gauge!  This is just what the NFL did. In addition to measuring with the 2 gauges Anderson used, they measured them with the calibrated gauge.  The calibrated gauge closely matched the lower reading gauge.

Pats balls using their gauge, balls set to 12.5.  Only 2 were low and adjusted

Colts balls set to 13 psi, and were fine, no adjustments needed

Calibrated gauge matches lower gauge Anderson had.

It is hard to see both Colts and Pats gauges matching the higher reading gauge, which did not match the calibrated gauge.  Only one gauge matching the calibrated standard, and 3 of them not?   Hmmmm.....  I don't think so...

Based upon this data, it is more reasonable to conclude the lower reading gauge was used pre-game, matching Calibrated gauge and those of the Pats and Colts equipment guys. . Also, I feel had the higher gauge been used, it is also reasonable to believe none of the Pats balls were to need air.  And possibly a ball or two of the Colts would need air let out of them.  And they would not read pre-game where the Equipment managers say they put them.

It is totally reasonable to determine that the Pats gauge, Colts Gauge are nearly the same as the lower reading and calibrated gauges (which matched).  It is easier to determine the higher reading gauge is the outlier.

Seeing as how most every test end experiment includes assumptions, as U.C.Berkeley agrees here-

http://undsci.berkeley.edu/article/howscienceworks_13

So having done the full calculations before (in another thread) and identifying my assumptions for those calcs (above), and then testing them, I think I'd score in the relativity well area with the relatively low effort I gave them (trying to be accurate at all costs though). Well enough to destroy your straw man, at least.

(I think I should add this testing of my assumptions to my original post, what you all think? )

Really?  You're going here to make your point?  Build a nice straw man then knock it down and claim your victory?  What if it didn't go as you state. What if it went something like this-

Investigator claims all scientific test have assumptions.  We do here as well, but later we will test the assumption.  Then go on using the fact the Ref was told 12.5 was the minimum for all balls, so 12.5 can be assumed as the low figure in the calculations.  After all is said and done the point is brought up that there were two gauges.  and one of them makes it look like most of the Pats balls fail the ideal gas law, and thus tampering could be a factor.  But with the other gauge, most of the balls measure in a range the ideal gas law predicts.  So Pats fans say that one was used, all is good.  But  now it it time for another test, the test of the original assumption.  That 12.5 psi measured on the lower reading gauge can be used for determination of pregame levels, even if not written down.

Pats equipment manager measured and set all balls to 12.5 (his testimony!).  Colts equipment manager set all 12 of their balls at 13.0 psi.  Walt Anderson testified all Colts balls measure fine pre-game, no adjustment.  Anderson reports 10 of the 12 Pats balls were at least 12.5 psi.  How can we tell which gauge Anderson used to measure pre game?  Compare all gauges to a calibrated gauge!  This is just what the NFL did. In addition to measuring with the 2 gauges Anderson used, they measured them with the calibrated gauge.  The calibrated gauge closely matched the lower reading gauge.

Pats balls using their gauge, balls set to 12.5.  Only 2 were low and adjusted

Colts balls set to 13 psi, and were fine, no adjustments needed

Calibrated gauge matches lower gauge Anderson had.

It is hard to see both Colts and Pats gauges matching the higher reading gauge, which did not match the calibrated gauge.  Only one gauge matching the calibrated standard, and 3 of them not?   Hmmmm.....  I don't think so...

Based upon this data, it is more reasonable to conclude the lower reading gauge was used pre-game, matching Calibrated gauge and those of the Pats and Colts equipment guys. . Also, I feel had the higher gauge been used, it is also reasonable to believe none of the Pats balls were to need air.  And possibly a ball or two of the Colts would need air let out of them.  And they would not read pre-game where the Equipment managers say they put them.

It is totally reasonable to determine that the Pats gauge, Colts Gauge are nearly the same as the lower reading and calibrated gauges (which matched).  It is easier to determine the higher reading gauge is the outlier.

Seeing as how most every test end experiment includes assumptions, as U.C.Berkeley agrees here-

http://undsci.berkeley.edu/article/howscienceworks_13

So having done the full calculations before (in another thread) and identifying my assumptions for those calcs (above), and then testing them, I think I'd score in the relativity well area with the relatively low effort I gave them (trying to be accurate at all costs though). Well enough to destroy your straw man, at least.

(I think I should add this testing of my assumptions to my original post, what you all think? )

Nice post!  Thanks!  But don't worry, the Pats fans will be here to tell you that you're wrong because they saw a blog post by some dude on a Pats website that says differently. 

Your Red - While one likes it high and one likes it low...only one changes the value after the balls have been tested which is illegal.

Your Blue - oh really? Pro sports don't think modifying equipment causes a competitive advantage? Tell that to Sammy Sosa and his corked bat? What about scuffing baseball's or Vaseline on baseballs?

Rodgers admitted to trying to sneak over inflated balls past the ref. That is textbook cheating.

I never said pro sports did not see equipment violations as an advantage the issue here is the degree and subsequent punishment. In hockey for example a curved stick is a two minute penalty basically on par with an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Never in any sport has a team been docked draft picks, fined a mil dollars and a player suspended for a quarter of the season ...

Rodgers admitted to trying to sneak over inflated balls past the ref. That is textbook cheating.

I never said pro sports did not see equipment violations as an advantage the issue here is the degree and subsequent punishment. In hockey for example a curved stick is a two minute penalty basically on par with an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Never in any sport has a team been docked draft picks, fined a mil dollars and a player suspended for a quarter of the season ...

Yes, Rodgers admitted to inflating over the limit before they tested.  Did he have some ball boy sneak the balls in the a bathroom with no toilet to inflate them again after the refs corrected them?

Yes, Rodgers admitted to inflating over the limit before they tested.  Did he have some ball boy sneak the balls in the a bathroom with no toilet to inflate them again after the refs corrected them?

Have you missed all the former QBs who have come out and said they messed with the air pressure after the refs tested them? Jeff Blake admitted to having his ball boys do it for all SIX NFL teams he played for. Brad Johnson said he paid thousands of dollars for his balls to be doctored how he liked them prior to playing in the SB in 2002. Again, no penalty from the league other than warnings and fines.

Have you missed all the former QBs who have come out and said they messed with the air pressure after the refs tested them? Jeff Blake admitted to having his ball boys do it for all SIX NFL teams he played for. Brad Johnson said he paid thousands of dollars for his balls to be doctored how he liked them prior to playing in the SB in 2002. Again, no penalty from the league other than warnings and fines.

there were no pregame testing done during his career. The balls were straight out of the box.

Who are the other qbs who said they deflated balls on the sideline?

This statement is almost completely false.

No QB said he tampered with the balls AFTER the refs tested them.

I would be with you except that he did play the second half of he Colts game with inflated footballs and the SB as well. So again if haters want to hang on it so be it. That is nothing new since 2007 but the air pressure in a football did not cause Flacco to have that brain fart at the end of the game ... lol.

So if no advantage , why stick needles in the balls ?