Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Deflategate Central (one thread, merged, moderated)

IndyD4U

Then there is this too:

Jason Cole ‏@JasonColeBR 12m12 minutes ago Hearing exact same RT @JimTrotter_NFL: 2 NFL owners told me they're unhappy w/ $$$ being spent on Brady case & treatment of Brady.

Jim Trotter ‏@JimTrotter_NFL 55m55 minutes ago These owners said the case is a bad look for NFL and never should've gotten to this point. Reiterated Kraft point: lawyers too involved.

And this gem from Bleacher Report:

Insider Buzz: Owners Want to Reduce Goodell's Power After Deflategate Debacle

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2535987-insider-buzz-owners-want-to-reduce-goodells-power-after-deflategate-debacle?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=web-mob-art-vid-16

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if it proved to be true that the guy who was in charge of conducting whatever this halftime measurement was then went and deliberately leaked lies about it, would it change your opinion of what went on here? Because frankly, if the league is shown to have allowed the first half of that game to potentially be played with deflated footballs so that they could catch the Patriots in the act of doing something, I'd be pretty livid as a Colts fan. It would also make me think that the "integrity" concerns over air pressure are contrived.

If it's proved, I would accept it as fact. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/proved

I'm not sure how that potential leak relates to the the league allowing the game to be played with footballs not properly inflated.

And I really don't understand why people are so fixated on this "catch them in the act" thing. The NFL gets tons of complaints on a weekly basis. They can't go out and react to each one of them. I think the action they took to notify the refs and the supervisor at the game is probably more than they'd usually do when there's a complaint, and I personally think they did that just so they could say they didn't totally ignore this complaint. I honestly don't think the league expected anything to come of it, and until the Colts reported the intercepted football, I don't think anyone would have gone any further with it.

BIG NEWS - NFL and Brady/PA to get this done by season start. No injunction requested.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25255741

The two parties proposed the following schedule:

• Aug. 7: NFLPA and NFL cross move to vacate and confirm the suspension
  • Aug. 14: Both parties file "respective papers" in support of those motions
  • The parties schedule a date for oral arguments that would "enable a decision to be rendered by Sept. 4, when Brady's team must prepare for its first regular season game."

This is fairly huge news. Instead of going after an injunction and trying to have Brady play while a suspension lingers in the background the two sides would apparently prefer to just figure everything out and get it out of the way in advance of the season starting.

There's no mention of binding arbitration in the documents, but it sounds like the two sides would be willing to accept the court's decision and move forward with the football season after Judge Berman rules.

Why would Brady and the PA be willing to to a deal if there were no wrong doing?

No deal. Both sides agree to have the court rule before start of season and accept the results so suspension will not hang over the season. At least that is the way I am reading this.

BIG NEWS - NFL and Brady/PA to get this done by season start. No injunction requested.

Oh good for the NFLPA and Brady...they don't want an injunction because they don't want it to be a distraction....You know what would make this go away? If Brady accepted the suspension and did his time. He and the NFLPA just keep coming across as petty infantile bafoons.

if it proved to be true that the guy who was in charge of conducting whatever this halftime measurement was then went and deliberately leaked lies about it, would it change your opinion of what went on here? Because frankly, if the league is shown to have allowed the first half of that game to potentially be played with deflated footballs so that they could catch the Patriots in the act of doing something, I'd be pretty livid as a Colts fan. It would also make me think that the "integrity" concerns over air pressure are contrived.

By the way, I'm not mad about any of this. Even if I thought the tampered footballs helped the Patriots win, and even if I thought the league let them play with them in the first half to catch them, I wouldn't be mad. And I don't think either of those things, so there's that.

Truth is this is incredibly overblown. I'm not saying that I think it's a non-issue and the league should have just issued a warning and all that; I believe the two stooges conspired to let air out of the footballs, I think there's evidence that it happened on a regular basis, and I think Brady knew about it and sanctioned it. To me, that's worthy of league action.

What's overblown is this is being treated like Watergate, and once the NFLPA got involved, we could count on this going to 1000%. Off topic, but I think DeMaurice Smith's NFLPA is the most disingenuous element of any controversial matter that's come up in the NFL over the past several years. That goes back to the labor debates, and I was mostly on the players' side there. I think Roger Goodell is insanely unpopular, and I don't agree with the public opinion on him either. Look at Sheldon Richardson's situation, and then tell me the commissioner shouldn't come down hard on people who do stupid stuff off the field... 

So just overall, I'm not mad or upset. I disagree with the Pats and Brady, I find some of the things they've said and done to be at least two-faced, if not totally dishonest, and as such, have lost some of the respect I had for them. Kraft was always viewed by me as a statesman, especially with his role in ending the lockout, but I think he's come off as an angry old man going rogue because his team wasn't given special treatment. 

And again, if you go through my history as a poster, you'll see that I'm not anti-Pats, anti-Brady, etc. Maybe anti-Belichick because he acts like a jerk -- "why don't you go back and check your notes?" --- but he's still the best coach I've ever seen. I am not someone who was just waiting for something to happen that would invalidate the Patriots, and even if it's absolutely 100% true that Brady has been having his footballs deflated for years, I don't think that invalidates his accomplishments. I don't gain anything from this. But I don't believe him.

• The parties schedule a date for oral arguments that would "enable a decision to be rendered by Sept. 4, when Brady's team must prepare for its first regular season game."

This is fairly huge news. Instead of going after an injunction and trying to have Brady play while a suspension lingers in the background the two sides would apparently prefer to just figure everything out and get it out of the way in advance of the season starting.

There's no mention of binding arbitration in the documents, but it sounds like the two sides would be willing to accept the court's decision and move forward with the football season after Judge Berman rules.

That's a big announcement, but there's nothing preventing Brady's side from requesting an injunction at a later date, nor is there anything preventing them from appealing the district court's decision -- assuming they don't agree with it -- and requesting an injunction from the circuit court of appeals.

That's a big announcement, but there's nothing preventing Brady's side from requesting an injunction at a later date, nor is there anything preventing them from appealing the district court's decision -- assuming they don't agree with it -- and requesting an injunction from the circuit court of appeals.

Bite your tongue. haha.

So the deflator took the balls into bathroom, but Mortenson was given the wrong info? I don't get it...Is McNally available for questioning now, and the bathroom story a hoax?

If Mortensen was given the wrong information by a top executive ON PURPOSE as a way to create the narrative that many would take and run with, then that is not a good look for the NFL and they don't look impartial or the least bit objective...and that's a big * deal if we're preaching about the 'integrity of the league' and 'honesty' and all that good stuff. 

Yeah,  I think both sides want to get this done. BTW, the judge has to agree to the timeline as well.

By the way, I'm not mad about any of this. Even if I thought the tampered footballs helped the Patriots win, and even if I thought the league let them play with them in the first half to catch them, I wouldn't be mad. And I don't think either of those things, so there's that.

Truth is this is incredibly overblown. I'm not saying that I think it's a non-issue and the league should have just issued a warning and all that; I believe the two stooges conspired to let air out of the footballs, I think there's evidence that it happened on a regular basis, and I think Brady knew about it and sanctioned it. To me, that's worthy of league action.

What's overblown is this is being treated like Watergate, and once the NFLPA got involved, we could count on this going to 1000%. Off topic, but I think DeMaurice Smith's NFLPA is the most disingenuous element of any controversial matter that's come up in the NFL over the past several years. That goes back to the labor debates, and I was mostly on the players' side there. I think Roger Goodell is insanely unpopular, and I don't agree with the public opinion on him either. Look at Sheldon Richardson's situation, and then tell me the commissioner shouldn't come down hard on people who do stupid stuff off the field... 

So just overall, I'm not mad or upset. I disagree with the Pats and Brady, I find some of the things they've said and done to be at least two-faced, if not totally dishonest, and as such, have lost some of the respect I had for them. Kraft was always viewed by me as a statesman, especially with his role in ending the lockout, but I think he's come off as an angry old man going rogue because his team wasn't given special treatment. 

And again, if you go through my history as a poster, you'll see that I'm not anti-Pats, anti-Brady, etc. Maybe anti-Belichick because he acts like a jerk -- "why don't you go back and check your notes?" --- but he's still the best coach I've ever seen. I am not someone who was just waiting for something to happen that would invalidate the Patriots, and even if it's absolutely 100% true that Brady has been having his footballs deflated for years, I don't think that invalidates his accomplishments. I don't gain anything from this. But I don't believe him.

So you blame the PA for getting involved when the league is the one that commissioned a $5 mil dollar report into ball deflation that did not definitely prove tampering occurred by its own admission and then preceded to hand out the harshest penalty in league history on top of suspending the QB which it has never done in the past for this type of violation and somehow the PA is to blame for dragging this out? You have GOT to be kidding.

And your unwavering support of Goodell is troubling to say the least. It is like you missed this entire year completely where he had to himself investigated, had all of his suspensions over turned and has looked like a complete * during deflategate setting himself up as judge after he approved the penalty that he had Vincent hand out which violated the CBA by issuing the punishment in the first place. I mean how many passes can you give a complete *? 

Well look at that, the NFL & NFLPA can agree on something.

So you blame the PA for getting involved when the league is the one that commissioned a $5 mil dollar report into ball deflation that did not definitely prove tampering occurred by its own admission and then preceded to hand out the harshest penalty in league history on top of suspending the QB which it has never done in the past for this type of violation and somehow the PA is to blame for dragging this out? You have GOT to be kidding.

And your unwavering support of Goodell is troubling to say the least. It is like you missed this entire year completely where he had to himself investigated, had all of his suspensions over turned and has looked like a complete * during deflategate setting himself up as judge after he approved the penalty that he had Vincent hand out which violated the CBA by issuing the punishment in the first place. I mean how many passes can you give a complete *?

And please stop with you façade that you do not dislike the Pats. Every post of yours drips with disdain over them but sure you just dislike Belichick.

Wow. Someone comes out and says they are sincere and you call them dishonest.

Edited by Nadine
personal shot

How many passes can a cheating and lying organization and QB get?!?!? Answer that one for me without a bunch of lies. You really think Brady and the Pats look at all good right now??? They look horrible and Brady is ruining his reputation more and more as the days go by. The Pats organization looks like TRASH right now.... utter TRASH!!! It's wreaks of nothing but complete dishonesty!

And please stop with you façade that you do not dislike the Pats. Every post of yours drips with disdain over them but sure you just dislike Belichick.

Your sanctimony is unbelievable.

I didn't blame the NFLPA for anything, not for the issue or for dragging it out. I said I think DeMaurice Smith is running a hypocritical and two-faced operation.

Brady's suspension is not the harshest penalty in league history. ??? What are you talking about?

I don't care that you're troubled by my thoughts on Goodell. But it's not unwavering support, and I'm not interested in your contortion of what I said so that you can stand back and gasp at it. Spare me.

Goodell allowed someone to come in and show that his office hadn't done what they were accused of. You don't mention that the investigation essentially vindicated him from the claims that he had seen the videotape. Nah, that doesn't matter. 

I don't care that his suspensions have been overturned. As I've said, I don't think they should have been overturned. It's Goodell's fault that an arbitrator knocked Hardy's suspension down from 10 games to 4? Goodness... the outrage over Goodell not being strict enough with Ray Rice, and then everyone cheers when Henderson reduces the suspension of someone who apparently threw his girlfriend around an apartment and threatened to kill her... all because you think it undermines Goodell. How does that help the game, the league, or its players?

And that's the hypocrisy of the NFLPA, which you've latched on to, making yourself party to it. Hardy abuses his girlfriend and then pays her off, but you blame Goodell? How much money and resources did the NFLPA spend on fighting Hardy's suspension (and they might not be done)? Meanwhile, Sheldon Richardson does what he did, and when Goodell drops the hammer on him, the NFLPA will be right there talking about how awful Goodell is. Keep defending this hypocrisy, by all means.

Goodell didn't violate the CBA in allowing Vincent to communicate the Brady decision. I'm sorry you don't understand this... no I'm not, I don't care, but what you're saying is entirely untrue and has been refuted by people who know what they're talking about.

If the NFLPA doesn't want the commissioner to have the authority he has, they should commit their resources to overturning the 40 year precedent of the commissioner having that authority, which has existed across pro sports leagues in general for almost 100 years going back to Kenesaw Mountain Landis. Instead, they acquiesced so they could get their money. And that's smart, because they were never going to wrestle that authority away from the league, nor will they the next time around.

Lastly, stop lying on me. I have no issue with the Patriots. Go back through my posting history and prove me wrong. Otherwise, miss me with all this trying to expose my true feelings. I meant what I said. I save my disdain for hypocritical and deluded fans, Pats or otherwise.

Your sanctimony is unbelievable.

I didn't blame the NFLPA for anything, not for the issue or for dragging it out. I said I think DeMaurice Smith is running a hypocritical and two-faced operation.

Brady's suspension is not the harshest penalty in league history. ??? What are you talking about?

I don't care that you're troubled by my thoughts on Goodell. But it's not unwavering support, and I'm not interested in your contortion of what I said so that you can stand back and gasp at it. Spare me.

Goodell allowed someone to come in and show that his office hadn't done what they were accused of. You don't mention that the investigation essentially vindicated him from the claims that he had seen the videotape. Nah, that doesn't matter. 

I don't care that his suspensions have been overturned. As I've said, I don't think they should have been overturned. It's Goodell's fault that an arbitrator knocked Hardy's suspension down from 10 games to 4? Goodness... the outrage over Goodell not being strict enough with Ray Rice, and then everyone cheers when Henderson reduces the suspension of someone who apparently threw his girlfriend around an apartment and threatened to kill her... all because you think it undermines Goodell. How does that help the game, the league, or its players?

And that's the hypocrisy of the NFLPA, which you've latched on to, making yourself party to it. Hardy abuses his girlfriend and then pays her off, but you blame Goodell? How much money and resources did the NFLPA spend on fighting Hardy's suspension (and they might not be done)? Meanwhile, Sheldon Richardson does what he did, and when Goodell drops the hammer on him, the NFLPA will be right there talking about how awful Goodell is. Keep defending this hypocrisy, by all means.

Goodell didn't violate the CBA in allowing Vincent to communicate the Brady decision. I'm sorry you don't understand this... no I'm not, I don't care, but what you're saying is entirely untrue and has been refuted by people who know what they're talking about.

If the NFLPA doesn't want the commissioner to have the authority he has, they should commit their resources to overturning the 40 year precedent of the commissioner having that authority, which has existed across pro sports leagues in general for almost 100 years going back to Kenesaw Mountain Landis. Instead, they acquiesced so they could get their money. And that's smart, because they were never going to wrestle that authority away from the league, nor will they the next time around.

Lastly, stop lying on me. I have no issue with the Patriots. Go back through my posting history and prove me wrong. Otherwise, miss me with all this trying to expose my true feelings. I meant what I said. I save my disdain for hypocritical and deluded fans, Pats or otherwise.

Thank you for your detailed response. I will not respond as I don't want to hijack the thread. I know we disagree on this big time about the commish and PA so I will just leave it at that. I also apologize for calling into question your fandom toward the Patriots or any other team.

I am very happy to know there is a potential light at the end of this tunnel and any agreement between the PA and NFL is a positive for all NFL fans.

TL/DR which scenario do you believe is more likely:

Scenario 1:The NFL is out to get the Pats and Brady because they're mean. They want publicity by slamming one of their largest market teams. Goodell is on a power trip. Choose one or more.

Scenario 2: McNally disappears in to the restroom before the game, with a bag full of footballs, to use a urinal which doesn't actually exist and a guy calls himself the deflator as he attempts to lose weight.  In reality, they were deflating footballs. The QB knew damn well the balls were underinflated, as any top notch QB knows what an over or under inflated football feels like, and offered autographed souveniers to keep it under the table.  This discounting the backpeddling (Kraft) destruction of relevant data (Brady)  and web of lies the Pats have spun since then. (Including but not limited to Brady's "cellphone-destruction schedule", wherein he still had and handed over a phone that, by his own timetable, should have been destroyed.)

Scenario 3: It's all the Colts' fault.

In the case of Scenario 2, the NFL had no choice but to intervene or the public backlash of the Pats getting away scott free (again) would have been enormous. Bear in mind, the situation was leaked to ESPN before the NFL could even react. There was zero opportunity to squash it, and it is more probable than not they would have if given the opportunity. So, this time, the Pats and Brady had to take a slap on the wrist.

I think if Brady had taken his medicine and admitted it instead of misdirecting and lying he gets, maybe, a one game suspension which  he can probably appeal to 0. Instead he lied, made a stink, and lawyered up. This rightfully, probably, * the league off and here we are. Which is fine, because with the league * off now they'll never turn a blind eye or try to cover up anything for the Pats again if given the opportunity.

Injunction is a risky tactic for Brady though.  If he gets the injunction but the case is drawn out til December it could lead to him getting his suspension applied to playoff games.

He may be willing to accept the court's decision even if it goes against him simply because fighting it further wouldn't be worth the risk of being suspended during playoff games.

Injunction is a risky tactic for Brady though.  If he gets the injunction but the case is drawn out til December it could lead to him getting his suspension applied to playoff games.

He may be willing to accept the court's decision even if it goes against him simply because fighting it further wouldn't be worth the risk of being suspended during playoff games.

He will file for injunction though if this does get drawn out. I think the bigger take away here is how confident Brady must be in his case to win to give up this right for injunction to expedite it. It also puts the decision squarely on the process as there will be no discovery phase.

TL/DR which scenario do you believe is more likely:

Scenario 1:The NFL is out to get the Pats and Brady because they're mean. They want publicity by slamming one of their largest market teams. Goodell is on a power trip. Choose one or more.

Scenario 2: McNally disappears in to the restroom before the game, with a bag full of footballs, to use a urinal which doesn't actually exist and a guy calls himself the deflator as he attempts to lose weight.  In reality, they were deflating footballs. The QB knew damn well the balls were underinflated, as any top notch QB knows what an over or under inflated football feels like, and offered autographed souveniers to keep it under the table.

This discounting the backpeddling (Kraft) destruction of relevant data (Brady)  and web of lies the Pats have spun since then. (Including but not limited to Brady's "cellphone-destruction schedule", wherein he still had and handed over a phone that, by his own timetable, should have been destroyed.)

In the case of Scenario 2, the NFL had no choice but to intervene or the public backlash of the Pats getting away scott free (again) would have been enormous. Even so, if Brady had taken his medicine, and admitted it instead of misdirecting and lying he gets, maybe, a one game suspension he can probably appeal to 0. Instead he lied, made a stink, and lawyered up. This rightfully, probably, * the league off and here we are.

Bonus:

Scenario 3: It's all the Colts' fault.

I should add that we shouldn't forget that these where not just any autographed souveniers, they are game worn jersey's and footballs.  Autographs alone from a guy like Tom Brady arn't that super valuable, they are nice to have but on the open market they arn't worth a huge amount of money.

But slap that autograph on a game worn jersey or a football . . . especially one from an important moment in his career and you can start up a nice retirement fund 20 years down the road.  

He will file for injunction though if this does get drawn out. I think the bigger take away here is how confident Brady must be in his case to win to give up this right for injunction to expedite it. It also puts the decision squarely on the process as there will be no discovery phase.

there is no such thing as a right to an injunction.

Maybe. I think they could gum up the works for six months and avoid anything coming down during the season, unless the judge is a Jets fan... ;)

I think there's an outside chance that this doesn't get resolved until Brady retires.

And there's an even more outside chance that Brady and the NFL agree to a reduced suspension.

Maybe. I think they could gum up the works for six months and avoid anything coming down during the season, unless the judge is a Jets fan... ;)

I think there's an outside chance that this doesn't get resolved until Brady retires.

And there's an even more outside chance that Brady and the NFL agree to a reduced suspension.

The bolded is what I'm afraid of.