Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Deflategate Central (one thread, merged, moderated)

IndyD4U

A NY reporter that LOATHES the patriots is probably a pretty good barometer on how much anyone views deflategate in terms of Brady's overall legacy and accomplishments. But I am game to wait and see how things all shake out the rest of this year and years from now when this will be the smallest of blips IMO if it even gets mentioned at all ...

Nah it's just another person with their own opinion

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Problems with the first predicate. According to the official narrative of Deflategate, the Indianapolis Colts came to suspect that the Patriots were deflating footballs after the Colts intercepted two of Bradys passes during a nationally televised game on Nov. 16, 2014, which the Patriots won 42-20, continuing their lopsided dominance of the Colts. But there are gaps in the Colts story.

First, the game was played at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, meaning it was a Colts home game and as we have learned from the Deflategate record, the home team controls both teams footballs after they are inspected by the referees before the game. A home-team employee carries them to the field, meaning that any tampering by the Patriots would have had to occur in front of tens of thousands of people and hundreds of cameras, but no one has presented such evidence."

https://consortiumnews.com/2015/08/01/the-two-minutes-hate-of-tom-brady/

Problems with this position, the "Official narrative fo Deflategate" was not linked to for determination of accuracy, nor determined who gave it the official designation.

The best I come up with is unsubstantiated reports of whether the Ravens told the Colts this, or unsupported statements the Colts told the NFL after a November game.  None of which has been Proven. Only Jay Glazer reports adamantly say it was the Ravens letting the Colts in on he secret.  So now you must show the official narrative, and also prove Colts alerted the NFL from a home game vs Pats. on Novenber 16, 2014.  I doubt you can do either.

In tuen, I access the Wells report to find ony that before the ACCG, Grigson sent an email that went as such-

**The email from Grigson attached a message from Sean Sullivan, the Colts Equipment Manager, describing these concerns. The Grigson email described the Sullivan message as an “FYI” and stated: “all the Indianapolis Colts want is a completely level playing field. Thank you for being vigilant stewards of that not only for us but for the shield and overall integrity of our game.”

In relevant part, the attachedmessage from Sullivan stated: "As far as the gameballs are concerned it is well known around the league that after the Patriots gameballs are checked by the officials and brought out for game usage the ballboys for the patriots will let out some air with a ball needle because their quarterback likes a smaller football so he can grip it better, it would be great if someone would be able to check the air in the game balls as the game goes on so that they don't get an illegal advantage."  **

Nothing to reference Nov 16 at all.  More deflection unless you can show proof otherwise.

To your red - if they don't then they need to educate themselves as the NFL in its history has never punished such a violation by anything more than a warning or a fine. And further, a deflated football has disadvantages too as it does not travel as fast (velocity diminished) or as far (distance). That is why it is a preference thing where some Qbs like it on the light side for grip and feel while others like Rodgers like it on the higher side for distance and velocity.

To the blue - it is not irrelevant because we are talking about degree of competitive advantage as that is the main reason why the NFL has never come down hard on it or any pro sport for that matter because the advantaged gained is minimal and the fact that Brady scored MORE points with the pumped up footballs in the second half of the AFCCG when the weather worsened shows just how insignificant it was in terms of a competitive advantage on top of his blistering performance verse Seattle in the SB.

Actually its all about cheating & lying something the Patriots Organization has been known for, For  a decade & it caught up with them Kraft & Brady just look foolish & Don Yee is without question IMO a joke of a lawyer & ambulance chaser on steroids .

Rodgers admitted to trying to sneak over inflated balls past the ref. That is textbook cheating.

I never said pro sports did not see equipment violations as an advantage the issue here is the degree and subsequent punishment. In hockey for example a curved stick is a two minute penalty basically on par with an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Never in any sport has a team been docked draft picks, fined a mil dollars and a player suspended for a quarter of the season ...

I beg to differ.

Rodgers trying to sneak 13.5 + psi balls past the ref is 'Gamesmanship' all of you Pats fans tried to pass Deflategate off as.  However, the NFL had safeguard in place to level the playing filed in the rulebook Ref was to measure each ball and adjust as necessary so each is in the 12.5-13.5 psi range; then mark them as compliant to be easily identified on field.

Now, when a team has an employee steals those checked and marked balls from the Refs locker room and ducks into a private bathroom with them, then later it is found they are illegally inflated... that is textbook cheating.

No QB said he tampered with the balls AFTER the refs tested them.

Jeff Blake said he did it on the sidelines for all SEVEN teams he played for and also said it is routinely done by QBs for the last 20 years ...

Former NFL quarterback Jeff Blake says he oversaw the deflation of footballs on the sideline right before games during his career. Speaking on "The Midday 180" out of Nashville, Blake said the practice was common.

Jeff Blake played for seven NFL teams, including the Bears during his final season (2005). Bruce Kluckhohn/USA TODAY Sports

"I'm just going to let the cat of the bag, every team does it, every game, it has been since I played," Blake said. "'Cause when you take the balls out of the bag, they are rock hard. And you can't feel the ball as well. It's too hard. Everybody puts the pin in and lets just enough air out of the ball that you can feel it a little better. So I don't know what the big deal is. It's not something that's not been done for 20 years."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12244290/ex-quarterback-jeff-blake-deflating-footballs-common

Jeff Blake said he did it on the sidelines for all SEVEN teams he played for and also said it is routinely done by QBs for the last 20 years ...

Former NFL quarterback Jeff Blake says he oversaw the deflation of footballs on the sideline right before games during his career. Speaking on "The Midday 180" out of Nashville, Blake said the practice was common.

Jeff Blake played for seven NFL teams, including the Bears during his final season (2005). Bruce Kluckhohn/USA TODAY Sports

"I'm just going to let the cat of the bag, every team does it, every game, it has been since I played," Blake said. "'Cause when you take the balls out of the bag, they are rock hard. And you can't feel the ball as well. It's too hard. Everybody puts the pin in and lets just enough air out of the ball that you can feel it a little better. So I don't know what the big deal is. It's not something that's not been done for 20 years."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12244290/ex-quarterback-jeff-blake-deflating-footballs-common

the balls weren't inspected buy refs during his career

So if no advantage , why stick needles in the balls ?

It is preference versus advantage. If there was such a great advantage to under inflation than Rodgers would not be trying to over inflate. He said it is 50/50 between QBs that like then lower versus higher. And if this ridiculous fumble rate was so effected by air ball pressure as some here like to claim than every single HC would be having his QBs on the lower range including McCarthy telling Rodgers to set them at 12.5 and not trying to sneak then in at 14 especially in frigid GB.

I mean let's be real here. The NFL has let QBs doctor their owns balls since 2006 when Brady and Manning asked them too. They are the only sports league that let's their QBs control the game ball and now all of sudden they care about the air pressure that was not even significantly decreased in the AFCCG as if you take into account the Ideal Gas law than the Pats balls were literally deflated by .4 psi. I mean that is a complete joke and is also why fans are so * at Mortensen as IF his report has been true and the Pats were balls were really 2lbs + under than Ok, tampering for sure but his report was completely bogus and no one in the league corrected it which has now led to Kraft posting the emails with the league where they continued to NOT do anything about the bogus leak.

So yeah IMO this whole thing is a complete joke and will not effect Brady's legacy at all IMO.

It is preference versus advantage. If there was such a great advantage to under inflation than Rodgers would not be trying to over inflate. He said it is 50/50 between QBs that like then lower versus higher. And if this ridiculous fumble rate was so effected by air ball pressure as some here like to claim than every single HC would be having his QBs on the lower range including McCarthy telling Rodgers to set them at 12.5 and not trying to sneak then in at 14 especially in frigid GB.

I mean let's be real here. The NFL has let QBs doctor their owns balls since 2006 when Brady and Manning asked them too. They are the only sports league that let's their QBs control the game ball and now all of sudden they care about the air pressure that was not even significantly decreased in the AFCCG as if you take into account the Ideal Gas law than the Pats balls were literally deflated by .4 psi. I mean that is a complete joke and is also why fans are so * at Mortensen as IF his report has been true and the Pats were balls were really 2lbs + under than Ok, tampering for sure but his report was completely bogus and no one in the league corrected it which has now led to Kraft posting the emails with the league where they continued to NOT do anything about the bogus leak.

So yeah IMO this whole thing is a complete joke and will not effect Brady's legacy at all IMO.

Why do you keep bringing up A. Rodgers ? He didn't have goons stab balls in a bathroom. 

Why do you keep bringing up A. Rodgers ? He didn't have goons stab balls in a bathroom. 

Because you asked about the advantage of under inflation. If it was such a competitive advantage then why on earth would Rodgers want his balls at 14? He is the one that said it is 50/50 between QBs and air ball pressure levels. He likes his on the high side as he has a strong grip and wants the velocity and distance. Brady likes the grip and feel better on the lower side and by doing so limits velocity and distance. And again this is why the NFL has NEVER punished by more than a warning or fine for this stuff. Now all of a sudden it is the same as PED use? You have GOT to be kidding Roger! A complete CYA move. Good heavens.

he didn't get caught, the pats did

That was not the question though. The question was have QBs tampered with the balls and the answer is yes according to Blake as he did it with every team he played for and said it was something that all Qbs have been doing for the last 20 years ...

That was not the question though. The question was have QBs tampered with the balls and the answer is yes according to Blake as he did it with every team he played for and said it was something that all Qbs have been doing for the last 20 years ...

I'm not taking Jeff Blakes word on what all qbs do. Especially since he hasn't played since the new rules were implemented

Because you asked about the advantage of under inflation. If it was such a competitive advantage then why on earth would Rodgers want his balls at 14? He is the one that said it is 50/50 between QBs and air ball pressure levels. He likes his on the high side as he has a strong grip and wants the velocity and distance. Brady likes the grip and feel better on the lower side and by doing so limits velocity and distance. And again this is why the NFL has NEVER punished by more than a warning or fine for this stuff. Now all of a sudden it is the same as PED use? You have GOT to be kidding Roger! A complete CYA move. Good heavens.

Good heavens . Show me where a team stole the balls after inspected for air pressure by officials and deflated them. 

I'm not taking Jeff Blakes word on what all qbs do. Especially since he hasn't played since the new rules were implemented

LOL. Of course you're not. He only played for seven teams ...

How about Brad Johnson AND Rich Gannon then?

Johnson, who led the Buccaneers to the NFL championship over the Raiders in 2003, told the newspaper in 2012 that he had difficulty gripping brand new footballs. Johnson said the NFL provided 100 footballs for the big game and he wanted to be sure the balls were scuffed before kickoff.

"I paid some guys off to get the balls right," Johnson said. "I went and got all 100 footballs, and they took care of all of them."

The former quarterback, now 46, says he forked over $7,500 to get the job done.

According to the Tampa Bay Times, Johnson first revealed his scheme a few years ago before the Bucs' Super Bowl team's 10-year reunion.

According to CBSSports.com NFL insider Jason La Canfora, doctoring footballs is nothing new. Former NFL quarterback Rich Gannon -- who was the losing quarterback in Super Bowl XXXVII -- told La Canfora that "this kind of stuff has been going on forever" and "everybody does it."

"Ask any quarterback, and this is a non-issue," said Gannon, now a CBS in-booth analyst. "Everybody does something, to them. It's like a pitcher, he wants the ball a certain way. Take Tiger Woods, you wouldn't tell him after he's been hitting a 10.5 degree loft all week with a certain ball that, 'Hey, now we're going to switch your ball out.' That's his thing, and it's that specific feel that you want. That football is how we make our living and it sounds crazy, but it's a sacred thing. It's got to be a certain way."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-brad-johnson-paid-7500-to-have-balls-doctored-at-super-bowl-xxxvii/

Good heavens . Show me where a team stole the balls after inspected for air pressure by officials and deflated them. 

LOL. They didn't steal anything. McNally walked by SEVERAL league employees on his way to the bathroom which was on the way to the field and spent as much time in there as it takes to take a pee and oh yeah, let out exactly between .2-.4 psi per ball. LOL.

And Brad Johnson paying off a guy $7500 to doctor his balls (100 of them) back when the QB did not have control of them FOR the SUPER BOWL which he won is a much bigger deal than McNally taking a pee and allegedly letting out. 4 psi.

Johnson, who led the Buccaneers to the NFL championship over the Raiders in 2003, told the newspaper in 2012 that he had difficulty gripping brand new footballs. Johnson said the NFL provided 100 footballs for the big game and he wanted to be sure the balls were scuffed before kickoff.

"I paid some guys off to get the balls right," Johnson said. "I went and got all 100 footballs, and they took care of all of them."

According to the Tampa Bay Times, Johnson first revealed his scheme a few years ago before the Bucs' Super Bowl team's 10-year reunion.

According to CBSSports.com NFL insider Jason La Canfora, doctoring footballs is nothing new. Former NFL quarterback Rich Gannon -- who was the losing quarterback in Super Bowl XXXVII -- told La Canfora that "this kind of stuff has been going on forever" and "everybody does it."

"Ask any quarterback, and this is a non-issue," said Gannon, now a CBS in-booth analyst. "Everybody does something, to them. It's like a pitcher, he wants the ball a certain way. Take Tiger Woods, you wouldn't tell him after he's been hitting a 10.5 degree loft all week with a certain ball that, 'Hey, now we're going to switch your ball out.' That's his thing, and it's that specific feel that you want. That football is how we make our living and it sounds crazy, but it's a sacred thing. It's got to be a certain way."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-brad-johnson-paid-7500-to-have-balls-doctored-at-super-bowl-xxxvii/

Both accounts occurred before the new rule implementation. Now qbs can doctor the ball anyway they want. They just can't be altered after the refs check the air pressure. But you know all of this

LOL. They didn't steal anything. McNally walked by SEVERAL league employees on his way to the bathroom which was on the way to the field and spent as much time in there as it takes to take a pee and oh yeah, let out exactly between .2-.4 psi per ball. LOL.

And Brad Johnson paying off a guy $7500 to doctor his balls (100 of them) back when the QB did not have control of them FOR the SUPER BOWL which he won is a much bigger deal than McNally taking a pee and allegedly letting out. 4 psi.

You left out that he claimed to use a urinal . Did he mean to say he peed in his shoe as there was no urinal in that bathroom ? You guys are really jokes. Comparing this to what may have been allowed years ago is silly and unfounded. They suspend pitchers for doctoring baseballs. Before that they used to throw the ball around the infield and spit tobacco juice on it. Brady knew what he was doing as did the nut jobs that stabbed the balls. Yeah the penalty was stiff but much of it was due to Brady not co operating and Kraft stopping the interviews of the 2 nut jobs .

Both accounts occurred before the new rule implementation. Now qbs can doctor the ball anyway they want. They just can't be altered after the refs check the air pressure. But you know all of this

Exactly! Bingo!  QBs can alter and doctor them the way they want because of Brady and Manning. YET here we are with this ridiculous penalty over an unproven .2-.4 of air pressure. And I have now given THREE Qbs who say QBs having been doctoring balls illegally forever back when they were not allowed to do a thing and it is common practice, always has been in the league and now we are to think that stopped since 2006 when Rodgers said he tries so sneak his in at 14 and that every QB has a preference for air inflation???

You left out that he claimed to use a urinal . Did he mean to say he peed in his shoe as there was no urinal in that bathroom ? You guys are really jokes. Comparing this to what may have been allowed years ago is silly and unfounded. They suspend pitchers for doctoring baseballs. Before that they used to throw the ball around the infield and spit tobacco juice on it. Brady knew what he was doing as did the nut jobs that stabbed the balls. Yeah the penalty was stiff but much of it was due to Brady not co operating and Kraft stopping the interviews of the 2 nut jobs .

Ok so you tell me what is worse. A QB paying $7500 to have his balls doctored before the SB back when QBs were not allowed to touch them or Dorito Dink letting out .2-.4 psi on balls that Brady probably had in his possession for weeks if not months rubbing them or dragging them through the mud like Eli. I mean let's be real here. This is why Montana said the psi range is a stupid rule if the QBs are allowed to do whatever the heck they want to them.

I agree about the non-coop. That is where Roger is putting ALL his eggs on this one and that will back fire IMO as the NFL has never suspended for non-coop and Wells never asked for Brady's phone and Brady did provide all his phone records on appeal. So I am not really sure what Roger is going to able to stand on here. We will see ...

And there are many QB's that are pretty disgusted with Tom Brady.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap3000000492202/Kurt-Warner-I-believe-Brady-suspension-is-more-than-fair

http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/7/28/9064337/steve-young-chimes-in-on-tom-brady-suspension

Ok so you tell me what is worse. A QB paying $7500 to have his balls doctored before the SB back when QBs were not allowed to touch them or Dorito Dink letting out .2-.4 psi on balls that Brady probably had in his possession for weeks if not months rubbing them or dragging them through the mud like Eli. I mean let's be real here. This is why Montana said the psi range is a stupid rule if the QBs are allowed to do whatever the heck they want to them.

I agree about the non-coop. That is where Roger is putting ALL his eggs on this one and that will back fire IMO as the NFL has never suspended for non-coop and Wells never asked for Brady's phone and Brady did provide all his phone records on appeal. So I am not really sure what Roger is going to able to stand on here. We will see ...

he did not provide the printed text message in the appeal

Montana also said it was ridiculous to assume Brady didn't instruct the goons to deflate the balls.

Montana also said it was ridiculous to assume Brady didn't instruct the goons to deflate the balls.

BTW, when are you going to own up about being wrong about Brady going to court?? You had several posts where you called out me and a few other Pats posters basically insinuating that we were off our rockers for thinking he would go to court. Not only has he gone but he has foregone his petition for an injunction in order to get the case settled before the start of the season which means he feels pretty good about his case.

he did not provide the printed text message in the appeal

He provided all the names and phone numbers for everyone he texted in the time frame that Wells wanted. In addition he noted all of the league employees he texted with which was 28. 28!  Yet Goodell said it was not practical for him to follow up. Good luck to him trying to prove Brady was un-coop.

Jeff Blake said he did it on the sidelines for all SEVEN teams he played for and also said it is routinely done by QBs for the last 20 years ...

Jeff Blake played for seven NFL teams, including the Bears during his final season (2005). Bruce Kluckhohn/USA TODAY Sports

Nothing there tells me that air was let out of the footballs AFTER the refs tested and approved them.

He provided all the names and phone numbers for everyone he texted in the time frame that Wells wanted. In addition he noted all of the league employees he texted with which was 28. 28! Yet Goodell said it was not practical for him to follow up. Good luck to him trying to prove Brady was un-coop.

its pretty simple, he didn't give the contents of the texts to Wells when he asked him to

Nothing there tells me that air was let out of the footballs AFTER the refs tested and approved them.

The refs did not check them back then as QBs did not control the balls. Basically the teams were handed a bag of new balls by the refs. What Blake is saying is that as soon as he got the balls he would let the air out right on the sidelines which was illegal and against the rules and tampering after the balls had been handed out by the refs.

its pretty simple, he didn't give the contents of the texts to Wells when he asked him to

Right because Brady was told there would not be adverse consequences for not handing over the texts given he is a member of the union and it was his private phone AND Wells had the phones of the ball boys and other patriot employees including Belichick.

Right because Brady was told there would not be adverse consequences for not handing over the texts given he is a member of the union and it was his private phone AND Wells had the phones of the ball boys and other patriot employees including Belichick.

Wells asked for them, he didn't provide them, he still hasn't provided them. How is this difficult to figure out That's not full cooperation

Full circle. Everything has been asked and answered.

From now on we reply to Pats fans as such -

Asked and answered.  Next...

The refs did not check them back then as QBs did not control the balls. Basically the teams were handed a bag of new balls by the refs. What Blake is saying is that as soon as he got the balls he would let the air out right on the sidelines which was illegal and against the rules and tampering after the balls had been handed out by the refs.

Okay. It still does not make it right. Jeff Blake was wrong to do that and if the league had specific rules against deflating footballs at that time, then I would want and expect him to be punished too. Any player or team that knowingly violates the rules should be punished.

Have you missed all the former QBs who have come out and said they messed with the air pressure after the refs tested them? Jeff Blake admitted to having his ball boys do it for all SIX NFL teams he played for. Brad Johnson said he paid thousands of dollars for his balls to be doctored how he liked them prior to playing in the SB in 2002. Again, no penalty from the league other than warnings and fines.

So,  with all of these former QB's who have admitted to messing with the air pressure,  whey didn't your boy,  Tom Terrific,  simply admit what all quarterbacks do.      They mess with the air pressure.

I wrote months ago that he didn't do before the Super Bowl because he feared being suspended for the game.

But once the game was played,  he could've admitted it then,  and spared everyone all the trouble we've all gone through.....

Instead he's put up the lamest defense known to man-kind.     Has the NFL been stupid about their doings?    Sure.

But it was Brady and his team who have made it clear they expected complete exoneration or there would be a lawsuit.

In essence,  Brady and his team pushed the NFL into a corner.    Our way,  or lawsuit.    Your choice NFL.

Sorry,  but I don't think they chose wisely.    I think they over-played their hand.

Clearly u suspect Brady did it then, otherwise this is all irrelevant, no?

amf -- All this blubbering about former QBs and psi before the rule changed years back initiated by Brady & Manning to the NFL seems to have thrown you off course. Just what the heck is the point you're trying to make without being hypocritical?

BTW, when are you going to own up about being wrong about Brady going to court?? You had several posts where you called out me and a few other Pats posters basically insinuating that we were off our rockers for thinking he would go to court. Not only has he gone but he has foregone his petition for an injunction in order to get the case settled before the start of the season which means he feels pretty good about his case.

You are really just plain not too ...... Here's an example of what I said.

"I would also be very surprised if this was ultimately over turned in a courtroom. I think Brady is going to have to gamble that he can put the process into slow motion and have it not resolved by season's end. I also would not be shocked if he never takes it to court as he's guilty as all hell and it might be fully exposed."  

You are the one that has been totally wrong through every step of this. I'll go back and find another post of mine concerning this. That was the first I found

The judge has been pretty clear here.  The judge wants both sides to get together and work things out.  That means either Brady is going to sit some games or he's going to run the risk of winding up in front of a judge after the judge told them to work things out.  Assuming the league offers what would be reasonable which is a two game suspension (which for the record is what a lot of Colts fans and other people have been saying Brady would end up with since the four game suspension was announced) either Brady would have to agree to that or look like he's the one who is unwillingly to deal after the judge told him and the league to do just that.  The judge probably isn't going to look too kindly on that.  Also it's more than likely that the judge and no one else outside of Brady's support camp is going to think it's reasonable for an agreement between both sides to not include a suspension. 

Here is the most definitive post on the subject I could find. If saying I think you people will be disappointed with the results is calling you off your rockers (which you are ) then like I say .. you are delusional. Like I've said many times , I'm very bad when I "play lawyer" and I figured he would be risking a lot going to court . 

It didn't copy but I did think it would not go to court. But I did not call anyone off their rocker for thinking that.