Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Change one play in colts history

CR91

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about an esoteric one - the play before the missed FG against the Steelers.  Instead of going for a deep pass, run Edge!  Maybe make the FG a few yards closer. 

But then we'd never have AV...

I still think that was the best Colts team in the last 20 years.  Maybe ever.

Drew Bledsoe getting hit by Mo Lewis in 2001:P

More seriously the onside kick... seriously Hank.. it's called the hands team for a reason.

Seriously.  That changed history.  In an alternate universe, Lewis is blocked and the Colts go on to win three SBs.

I think people have hit on the big ones in recent Colts history.  I do want to say kudos to the OP, good, fun topic.

To go with the Steelers game, I'd change Vandy's missed FG.  The Colts didn't really deserve to win that game, they were dominated all game and had a fortunate overturned call on a Troy P. INT but send it to OT and let the chips fall where they may.

I have two - both from the Saints Super Bowl loss.

One has been mentioned - the Baskett on-side kick.

The other was the Garcon drop earlier in the game.  I swear he would still be running today if he had caught the ball.  That would have put Indy up 17-3 and who knows how that game ends at that point. 

Dwight Freeney NOT spraining his ankle against the Jets in the AFC title game

that had more of an effect on the Super Bowl that year than the onside kick in my opinion.

He was abusing the Saints in that first half and when he went out, that's when Brees got hot.

Quentin Coryatt holding on to the dropped interception in the afcc against Pitt in '95

That one hurt . How about Lamont Warren being tackled by a shoelace ( no gain) on 3rd and one with an open field in front of him ? That took place about 4 minutes before the Coryatt play. 

Change your avatar on this forum amfootball. No one on here wants to see

Brady with his four rings and most of them tarnished with the tuck rule,

spy gate and deflate gate.

And probably not many are going to care that you don't want to see her avatar.  It's not breaking any rules so you have no place to tell her to change it. ;)

I don't want to derail this thread

and yet...

but it had to be said....

No, it didn't.  If you do really think it had to be said though, it could have been done over PM ;)

Quentin Coryatt holding on to the dropped interception in the afcc against Pitt in '95

That hurt, PB! Big time. Coryatt intercepts that pass from O'Donnell for a TD and game over. Colts go on to face Cowboys for a second time in the Super Bowl. Arrgg.

This is easy, vanderjagts field goal miss against Pitt in the afc championship game. That colts team was too damn good

Speaking of Vanderjagts misses, the season-opener in 2004 in Foxborough. 19 seconds left he misses a 48-yard FG. Play before, Manning gets sacked on 3rd down for a significant loss. Thus, turning a 35 yard attempt into a 48 yarder. Here's the significance of that game ... if Colts win that game ... The AFCCG is played in the Dome that year against New England, not the other way around. I remember thinking after that game it might come back to haunt us. It did. Especially trying to rebound from the year before in 2003.

Like many others have stated ...this thread HURTS! What ifs are the banner call of all sports talk. Can't wait until October. :)

How about an esoteric one - the play before the missed FG against the Steelers.  Instead of going for a deep pass, run Edge!  Maybe make the FG a few yards closer. 

But then we'd never have AV...

I still think that was the best Colts team in the last 20 years.  Maybe ever.

That play call was one of the simplistic reasons why Peyton is considered a playoff underachiever (outside his record). Peyton felt he needed to do more by himself constantly while Tom Brady just kept taking checkdowns to his RBs up until the recent SB. No wonder when Peyton took a lot of checkdowns to RBs in Addai and Rhodes, we win the SB :).

The Hank Baskett play and the Nick Harper play all rank up there, IMO.