Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I hated the Dorsett pick at first

RockThatBlue

But I don't anymore. I've had time to think about it and the speed we will have on the field will be insane. Imagine TY and Dorsett on the field at the same time *drools* that's gonna be tough for defenses considering our other options at WR too. I think Dorsetts gonna be special. Just my opinion though.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one questioned Dorsett's talent or what he'll add to the offensive side of the ball.  The problem many, including myself, had with the pick was ignoring the guys who could have helped us on defense.  However, that's another story for other threads.  I'd prefer to keep this a pro-Dorsett thread as I'm also really excited for what he can bring to the table, so I'm not going to expand on my complaints with the pick.

I'm personally curious to see what kind of role he gets with the team.  Is he going to be primarily a kick returner?  Is he going to get snaps over Moncrief?  Do Moncrief, Carter, and Dorsett all split reps equally?  Regardless, I think our offense will be even more explosive than last year with these guys.  Even Moncrief has a lot of speed, which many analysts don't discuss.  And it's a pretty scary thought for NFL defenses that we could have an even more explosive offense.  I think we've had one of the top offenses in the league in number of plays of 40+ yards.

The more I think on it, the more I actually think this was a very smart pick. With Andre aging, and Duron Carter being unproven, I think it was good we took a WR here. Forget about this season, with this pick, we've insured Andrew has tons of weapons to throw to for years to come. This is also gives us lots of depth at the receiving positions (TE's included). Someone gets injured, it's fine, we still got like 5 other guys who have the ability to catch the Football. Dorsett is gonna be a special player, Moncrief is gonna be a special player, and I think Duron Carter has the potential to be great too. It's good practice for our D too, having to play against such an explosive group. I mean, who are you supposed to guard? T.Y? Okay just throw to Dorsett deep. He's covered? Throw it underneath to Andre. All our WR's are covered? Throw to a TE. Everyone is covered somehow? Andrew can run. And even when the defense has the perfect coverage to stop everyone, dump it to Gore and have him grind it out.  I don't wanna get cocky obviously, but this group seriously has the ability to do something special.

Now just imagine if the line starts to play consistently..........

P.S These guys would also (theoretically) help the line too, as less guys would be blitzing and more LB's would have to go into coverage.

IMO, What`s really going to help with "IF" the Dorsett pick was good or not may be how well the defensive players drafted turn out to be. Dorsett is getting rave reviews so far on his own merit, but if Anderson, Geathers, Parry etc prove to be solid it will make Grigs look even more genius

No one questioned Dorsett's talent or what he'll add to the offensive side of the ball.  The problem many, including myself, had with the pick was ignoring the guys who could have helped us on defense.  However, that's another story for other threads.  I'd prefer to keep this a pro-Dorsett thread as I'm also really excited for what he can bring to the table, so I'm not going to expand on my complaints with the pick.

I'm personally curious to see what kind of role he gets with the team.  Is he going to be primarily a kick returner?  Is he going to get snaps over Moncrief?  Do Moncrief, Carter, and Dorsett all split reps equally?  Regardless, I think our offense will be even more explosive than last year with these guys.  Even Moncrief has a lot of speed, which many analysts don't discuss.  And it's a pretty scary thought for NFL defenses that we could have an even more explosive offense.  I think we've had one of the top offenses in the league in number of plays of 40+ yards.

Bingo! 21 nailed it on both counts. I just never like the idea of grabbing another guy at a surplus position that's a luxury pick vs a necessity pick unless we put Dorsett on Special Teams that really intrigues me. If Philip can be our Julian Edelman on returns, I will be incredibly pumped man. 

I will say this until I drop dead. I don't wanna be an offensive juggernaut; I wanna win in the trenches, running the ball, & a non stop, fresh legs pass rushing rotation. It's not sexy, but it wins championships. 

if Anderson, Geathers, Parry etc prove to be solid it will make Grigs look even more genius

I always remember something BOTT said that I never forgot: Grigs doesn't have the best track record drafting defensive guys for us either thru the draft or free agency. WRs, TEs, CBs he's very good at but at LB or safety he always seems to go after a CFL player or an experienced veteran with 2-3 solid years left at at best. Maybe 2015 will turn that trend around. I hope so. 

It would be interesting to see Dustin, krunk, akcolt, Gavin, Superman, Jvan, NCF, or BOTT breakdown or rate their assessment of Grigson's selections on defense since he's been the GM here. I'm not mandating this. I just respect their analyst skills that's all. 

If I didn't mention you specifically by name, please don't take offense. There's a lot of people on here who are excellent x's & o's film study fans. Anybody can do this, I just know the people I mentioned are good at doing this in simple terms without overwhelming others with fancy vocabulary & jargon & I always learn something when I read them. 

I heard one or two people say that he would be the replacement for TY

At first, I didnt think so.

However, looking at the contracts that Larry F and Calvin Johnson recieved (Over 16 mil)

I bet Dez gets 16 to 18m,......... it makes me wonder 

I truly like TY, but is he worth 16 mil? His agent may want that number........

Can we afford 16m AND still pay Luck and the others that are coming up..... I dont know

I was surprised by the pick, but I did not dislike it either.  If the Colts had Dorsett rated that much higher on their board than Brown, or anyone else, then they made the right pick.  You do not reach for need in the first few rounds, you pick the BPA according to your board (with a couple of caveats).

I am a firm believer in the adage that "defense wins championships".  However, I also like the saying in a lot of sports that "speed kills".  With all of the speed we have at receiver the opposing OC is going to look like a little kid playing Whack-a-Mole.  Just when he figures out how to stop TY, AJ pops up wide open.  Stop AJ and Coby pops up.  Stop Coby, TY and AJ and wouldn't you know it, Luck dumps it off to Gore wide open in the flats.  Do scoreboards record into the hundreds?

If i could i would take Malcom Brown with the first then take TY Montgomery with the second third. 

But can you imagine going vs Dorsett twice a year? The Texans were trading up with the NE.

Considering the Texans' QB, I could have lived with it.

I always remember something BOTT said that I never forgot: Grigs doesn't have the best track record drafting defensive guys for us either thru the draft or free agency. WRs, TEs, CBs he's very good at but at LB or safety he always seems to go after a CFL player or an experienced veteran with 2-3 solid years left at at best. Maybe 2015 will turn that trend around. I hope so. 

It would be interesting to see Dustin, krunk, akcolt, Gavin, Superman, Jvan, NCF, or BOTT breakdown or rate their assessment of Grigson's selections on defense since he's been the GM here. I'm not mandating this. I just respect their analyst skills that's all. 

If I didn't mention you specifically by name, please don't take offense. There's a lot of people on here who are excellent x's & o's film study fans. Anybody can do this, I just know the people I mentioned are good at doing this in simple terms without overwhelming others with fancy vocabulary & jargon & I always learn something when I read them. 

That would be a good read for sure. I think we need to look at the roster moves as a whole work of art, free agent signings (including our own) along with new drafted/undrafted players. Most of those results are yet to be determined, even for previous years players, Bjorne Werner, who some here call a bust, says he has yet to play healthy. What if he`s right and we haven't seen him at his best yet? Jonathan Harrison was a pleasant surprise, I don`t think anybody saw his potential coming. Those picks kind of equal things out in my mind, and they have room to grow. Not being a homer but I really believe this years Colts team will be a lot better and is going to surprise a lot of people especially on defense.  

If i could i would take Malcom Brown with the first then take TY Montgomery with the second third. 

But can you imagine going vs Dorsett twice a year? The Texans were trading up with the NE.

So we signed the Texans best offensive player AND took the player they wanted? bahahaha!! love it! 

I've said it before and will say it again. The Colts are one or two injuries away from having a position of luxury become a position of need. Johnson or Hilton go down and the complexion of the offense will start to change fairly quickly, despite there being all this other talent at the position. If the Colts truly believed this was the best player available at the time, then you have to ride with it.

I am a firm believer in the adage that "defense wins championships".  However, I also like the saying in a lot of sports that "speed kills".  With all of the speed we have at receiver the opposing OC is going to look like a little kid playing Whack-a-Mole.  Just when he figures out how to stop TY, AJ pops up wide open.  Stop AJ and Coby pops up.  Stop Coby, TY and AJ and wouldn't you know it, Luck dumps it off to Gore wide open in the flats.  Do scoreboards record into the hundreds?

This is the way the season has to go if we are to win a title, because defense does win championships.

Grigson absolutely did the right thing, and he told us what happenend in the Colts War Room. B.P.A. - Best Player Available...emphasis on availability....is who the Colts front office drafted, based on draft position, coaching, and scouting analysis, and players that have "Colt Traits", which means an ability to avoid being arrested, and a great understanding of what it means to protect the brand. Decisions, especially like this one, are the reason why i absolutely love, and sometimes hate the NFL draft. The draft is 95% Broadway Musical, 5% D.M.V. ticket selection process. By the time the automated caller said, "now serving ticket 29", all of the players on the Colts draft board, that they believed they could have drafted in that round, at that spot, WERE GONE, except one....Yes Dorsett was on their board, yes he was available, so they drafted him at that spot. After i calmed down, i was able to have a clearer read on why they drafted him, besides that so-called "Insurance scandal".

Im not mad at them NOT drafting what was considered first round talent, because of what they've been thru with other players, unwhelming them. The common thread between most, if not all talent scouts, and NFL experts, was that there were no safties, worthy of a first round selection, and that all of the impact pass rushers would be taken early. The way i see it, if we couldn't at least get Alvin "Bud" Dupree, and we didn't, Phillip Dorsett is, and was the right choice, @ pick 29.

It creates a HUGE mismatch, and someone should be open

I bet we start to see nickle packages on first down......... Gore will gain some nice yards

Something else wasn't mentioned that might explain a little about the pick. Last season the Colts got caught short handed in the receiver department with the injury to Wayne. With the unknowing results of Carter it could have come down to the Colts just wanting depth at the position. With the release of Cribbs it is possible that Dorsett will return kicks?

At first, I wanted to throw my laptop at the TV. After a few nights of sleeping on it, im ok with it. In fact as of right now I think it was a great move considering how the rest of the draft paned out. I was beating the table for Malcom Brown but 30 other teams passed on him including the Cowboys, Broncos, and Lions who all had glaring needs at DT.

Collins was another argument but we essentially got a more athletic clone of him in the 4th round in Geathers. Not as polished but a similar type player.

It wasn't just not stopping the run that got us beat vs. the Pats in the playoffs. It was that no one could get open and beat their press coverage. That in turn kept putting our gassed defense back on the field. They doubled TY with their 3rd corner and no one on the team could get passed Revis and Browner. Reggie was a shell and Moncrief was just too raw and got worked. The Dorsett and AJ moves were to ensure that never happens again. Plus, couple that with the Pats loss of their aforementioned corners and that now looks like a mismatch in our favor.

I was one of the few who loved the pick at the time it was made. In the months leading up to the draft, I struggled to like any of the defensive players at 29, and was trying to figure a trade scenario.

Dorsett came to mind as someone who teams would trade up for to get in the late first round due to rare speed (I was right too, as the Texans were apparently trying to trade with NE to get Dorsett).

Then I read that the Colts WR only had two receptions the entire AFCCG. I knew they struggled to get open, but didn't realize how pathetic they were....and its not like Luck was running for his life..he was not sacked the entire game. The Offense only tallied 136 yards and that low total fell directly on the WRs ineffectiveness.

Put all of this together, including Dorsett being the BPA too, and I loved the pick when it happened.

You got one of the best gun slinger Qb's. Give him as many targets to throw to as possible. It's got to help the run game as well.

Yep, need more weapons. Teams will double Hilton, gotta have other options

First 2 weeks of the season are gonna be very interesting going against those 2 Top 5 defenses

At first I was confused based on perceived need. In truth though WR is a need. Looking back the Offense wasn't at full power at the end of last year and in terms of WR's it was T.Y and everyone else. 

As with all picks, if he can play and play well, it was a good pick.

At first, I wanted to throw my laptop at the TV. After a few nights of sleeping on it, im ok with it. In fact as of right now I think it was a great move considering how the rest of the draft paned out. I was beating the table for Malcom Brown but 30 other teams passed on him including the Cowboys, Broncos, and Lions who all had glaring needs at DT.

Collins was another argument but we essentially got a more athletic clone of him in the 4th round in Geathers. Not as polished but a similar type player.

It wasn't just not stopping the run that got us beat vs. the Pats in the playoffs. It was that no one could get open and beat their press coverage. That in turn kept putting our gassed defense back on the field. They doubled TY with their 3rd corner and no one on the team could get passed Revis and Browner. Reggie was a shell and Moncrief was just too raw and got worked. The Dorsett and AJ moves were to ensure that never happens again. Plus, couple that with the Pats loss of their aforementioned corners and that now looks like a mismatch in our favor.

This.

So if next year the bpa is a wr or qb we should take one in the first round?

The notion of taking purely BPA is bogus. If you took the BPA at each of the 7 rounds, you might end up drafting 7 OTs.

Your later draft choices are impacted by who you took the previous rounds....second round draft choice is impacted by who you took in the first, and your first round draft choice is impacted by your roster as it is going into the draft. You take positions of need at their proper value...but...reaching for a need is worse than passing and waiting until next year and taking the BPA in the mean time.

"at their proper value" means that if a position of need is your 5th BPA on your list, you take him over the 1st BPA on your list who may not be at a position of need. But if that player is, say, the 10th BPA on your list, you either trade out and hope he's still there 5 or 6 slots later or you take the 1st BPA on your list and wait until the next round or next year to get your need.

As far as a WR next year, if another 4.2 WR with hands is available at our 1st round draft slot next year, I would consider taking him and let the non 4.2/3 guys on the roster find other teams.

I think this pick is going to bite our colts in the butt, It was not what was needed (in my eye)

When any first rounder quality lineman, o or d would have been more to my liking.

I disagree. I don't see it hurting the team at all, as stated before our wrs were not very good at all in the NE playoff game. It was kind of a bigger need than people will admit.