Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brady suspended four games, Pats fined and docked two draft picks (Mega Merge)

BlueShoe

It's been written that Kraft has long been one of Goddell's strongest supporters,  through thick and thin.

My guess is.... that may change.......

Okay, I get that.

In this instance, however, the Pats were caught cheating, and evidently this has been going on for a long time now. Why would the other 31 owners side with Kraft on anything related to this situation? They were the ones being cheated.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. Goodell is a complete joke and hopefully this spells the end of him as I hoped it would. Brady will appeal and get the suspension reduced or potentially thrown out altogether. I am anxious to see how far he takes this with his rep on the line.

Next season will be fun defending our 4th Lombardi! :thmup:

Hopefully this goes the same way all your other predictions went. :thmup:

I think our views are not too far off.....

I wasn't bothered much by the cheating....    I was MUCH MORE bothered by the cover-up.   That's what really bothered me.

I always thought Kraft was a good and decent man,  right up until this incident.    I think he's forever embarrassed himself and stained his reputation.     I think he made one arrogant mistake after another.   And to publicly attack the league -- the shield --   the week of the Super Bowl game and demand an apology,  was an unforgivable mistake to me.

The only people I feel sorry for in this whole mess are the two equipment guys,  McNally and Jastremski (sp?)....  they didn't have much choice in the matter.    If Tom Brady asks you to do something,  you do it.   

So, now they're suspended -- indefinitely -- without pay?!?    How are they supposed to make ends meet,  to pay their bills?

I think it's crappy.    Talk about being thrown under the bus?!?

Statement from Kraft saying it was the equipment managers that did it ?  But I do think the  NFL also banned those 2 from working in the NFL under any capacity. So maybe he gave them a good severance ?

They will be OK financially for the obvious reasons.

The 1 million dollar fine is the largest in NFL history.  Wow.

On paper.  The Pat's also don't have to Pay Brady his $1,88 million during that time either, so it is really like a $120,000 fine, in one sense.

EDIT: botched  the numbers, but still!!  That fine doesn't hurt the Pats at all....

I think our views are not too far off.....

I wasn't bothered much by the cheating....    I was MUCH MORE bothered by the cover-up.   That's what really bothered me.

I always thought Kraft was a good and decent man,  right up until this incident.    I think he's forever embarrassed himself and stained his reputation.     I think he made one arrogant mistake after another.   And to publicly attack the league -- the shield --   the week of the Super Bowl game and demand an apology,  was an unforgivable mistake to me.

The only people I feel sorry for in this whole mess are the two equipment guys,  McNally and Jastremski (sp?)....  they didn't have much choice in the matter.    If Tom Brady asks you to do something,  you do it.   

So, now they're suspended -- indefinitely -- without pay?!?    How are they supposed to make ends meet,  to pay their bills?

I think it's crappy.    Talk about being thrown under the bus?!?

I definitely think those two are getting thrown under the bus, and that's not right. But integrity is about holding yourself to a high standard, no matter what. They failed in that regard, so I don't feel sorry for them. These are the consequences.

I know of some bankers who got indicted during the whole banking meltdown a few years ago, because they did things they knew were wrong, but their bosses required of them. It sucks that they were fall men, but they didn't have the integrity to do the right thing and walk away from the job.

As for McNally, he's a game day employee, only. I'm sure he has another full time job. Jastremski is a full time Pats employee. He needs to figure something out. But I get the feeling both of those guys will have the opportunity to grease their palms a little more, either with severance agreements or tell-all offers from the media.

Pats got off easy in my opinion. Where's the punishment for Belichick?? Sean Payton paid the price but there's nothing for old Bill? Pretty much a joke if you ask me. Now Brady is going to appeal and get it reduced or no suspension at all. Then all pats fans will rejoice. I'm pretty upset that this wasn't harsher...

It is possible the appeal could linger into the season so we don't know exactly what games he's going to miss.

My guess is he won't miss more than 2. I know nobody wants to hear this, but I still believe there is enough to question about the report and based on how most recent appeals have ruled, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see the suspension reduced by a couple games or even the whole thing.

Anyone know how long the appeals usually take?

On paper.  The Pat's also don't have to Pay Brady his $1,88 million during that time either, so it is really like a $120,000 fine, in one sense.

I'm pretty sure the Patriots pay the salary to the league to then go to charity.  Not positive, but perhaps someone can chime in on that?  

All I can say it's a little harsh, but I think their past corner cuts, Spygate, Injury reporting, etc. played a roll in what went down.  They, as an organization, better have people on a short leash.

On a side note, I have enjoyed reading Patriot message board and the meltdown the past hour.  I haven't chuckled this much in awhile.

lol no way IMO will the league reduce the suspension. They WANT his first game back in Indy with the entire world watching. 

But, I ain't worried either. I think we are overly due for a strong game vs. NE too and our team will have a bigger chip then people think. Besides, EVERYONE is going to be playing NE like they are on cocaine this year. They are the tainted SB champs in most people's eyes.

But, this fine and the draft picks I DID NOT expect. Just wow. 

I though it would be a longer suspension though. But, I think it evens up with the draft picks and especially the first rounder.

He had his chance. That would have meant handing over his phone and, along with with the entire Pats organization, not impeding the investigation.

Correct he had his chance, But remember he could not come clean after the AFCG because that would of proven his guilt and would of suspended him for the Super Bowl, So please how can anyone not say the Super Bowl was tarnished for the Patriots

He got it-

"Mr. Kraft.  We're sorry... that the Patriots refused to cooperate when we asked to interview Mr. McNally a second time.  We're sorry Tom Brady refused to surrender electronic communications despite being offered the highest safeguards for personal privacy.  Therefore, we are so very, very sorry to levy a million dollar fine to the Pats, take a 2016 round 1 pick and 2017 round 4, and suspend your QB for the first four games in 2015.  Again, we're sorry."

heckuva post!    Just tremendous!

Pretty much says it all......    I kneel at your feet and pay you tribute!       :worthy: 

Steerler town is both jumping for joy and terrified facing the unknown in Jimmy G. I have to admit. I am kind of looking forward to see what this guy has got.

Well that's good since you have no other choice in the matter. :6:

lol no way IMO will the league reduce the suspension. They WANT his first game back in Indy with the entire world watching. 

But, I ain't worried either. I think we are overly due for a strong game vs. NE too and our team will have a bigger chip then people think. Besides, EVERYONE is going to be playing NE like they are on cocaine this year. They are the tainted SB champs in most people's eyes.

But, this fine and the draft picks I DID NOT expect. Just wow. 

I though it would be a longer suspension though. But, I think it evens up with the draft picks and especially the first rounder.

I don't think it's up to the league to reduce the suspension . It goes in front of an arbitrator and they are supposed to be neutral . 

I've never had a discussion with an NFL head coach or GM. But he is the boss and his player and equipment guys cheated. Lack of institutional control falls on him

I normally agree with you jvan (much to your dismay I'm sure) but not on this.  I don't know if BB knew about it or not, but even a micromanager cannot have his finger in everything.  You hire people you think can do that job and let them do it.  If they do something wrong it does not mean the boss has lost control.

That being said, maybe the job was always to allow BB to have plausible deniability, in which case the guilty parties did exactly what they were hired to do. (Except for one guy, he had been with the Patriots for 32 years so can't quite pin that one on BB).

I don't think it's up to the league to reduce the suspension . It goes in front of an arbitrator and they are supposed to be neutral . 

it was more to me in the lines of a reply I have heard and seen with some Pats fans who think they can get it reduced somehow to 2 games. Just seen it around and heard it.

I would have done more then 4 games......but I think the fine and picks are to even it up a bit.

I think it's VERY interesting and almost funny his first game back (hell if they want him even then since for all we know Jimmy G rocks. lmao) will be in Indy.

I normally agree with you jvan (much to your dismay I'm sure) but not on this. I don't know if BB knew about it or not, but even a micromanager cannot have his finger in everything. You hire people you think can do that job and let them do it. If they do something wrong it does not mean the boss has lost control.

That being said, maybe the job was always to allow BB to have plausible deniability, in which case the guilty parties did exactly what they were hired to do. (Except for one guy, he had been with the Patriots for 32 years so can't quite pin that one on BB).

I was just going by the suspension of Mickey Loomis. He seemed to have no knowledge of the bountygate scandal and he got 6 games iirc

My guess is he won't miss more than 2. I know nobody wants to hear this, but I still believe there is enough to question about the report and based on how most recent appeals have ruled, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see the suspension reduced by a couple games or even the whole thing.

Anyone know how long the appeals usually take?

Are think you just had a sip of that contaminated water the people in NE have been drinking the past week regarding this. It would be a major .. major upset if the whole suspension was thrown out. Reduced yes , I would say even "probably." Thrown out ... your dreaming.

it was more to me in the lines of a reply I have heard and seen with some Pats fans who think they can get it reduced somehow to 2 games. Just seen it around and heard it.

I would have done more then 4 games......but I think the fine and picks are to even it up a bit.

I think it's VERY interesting and almost funny his first game back (hell if they want him even then since for all we know Jimmy G rocks. lmao) will be in Indy.

Sorry to read you wrong young lady.

I do think it should stay at 4 like you say , but I think it probably goes down to 2.

I was just going by the suspension of Mickey Loomis. He seemed to have no knowledge of the bountygate scandal and he got 6 games iirc

Accepting that as the standard, this will never be as big a deal as Bountygate. This is actually kind of petty in comparison.

And based on what Tagliabue said in his appeal decision, the Saints organization tried to run interference throughout the entire process. Loomis might not have known about the crime, but he knew about and possibly was closely involved in the cover-up. Aside from proving definitively that he's not the Mona Lisa Vito of football air pressure and making himself look like a dummy, Belichick doesn't appear to have been involved in any kind of cover-up attempt. 

Are think you just had a sip of that contaminated water the people in NE have been drinking the past week regarding this. It would be a major .. major upset if the whole suspension was thrown out. Reduced yes , I would say even "probably." Thrown out ... your dreaming.

I agree probably down to 2 but the NFL's track record in having its suspensions upheld is abysmal. 4 games will also be seen as excessive IMO so we will see. But I could see it all wiped out too.

I agree probably down to 2 but the NFL's track record in having its suspensions upheld is abysmal. 4 games will also be seen as excessive IMO so we will see. But I could see it all wiped out too.

Shoot, they will probably hand out another 2-3 game suspension to Tom for reading your 6 thousand comments in the deflategate thread. :lol:

You have been and continue to be delusional.  

Who will 4 games seem excessive to?  Pats fans?  Not sure that is a good enough reason to reduce the suspension.  

Who will 4 games seem excessive to?  Pats fans?  Not sure that is a good enough reason to reduce the suspension.  

The report ... and the fact that the league has never punished with suspension ball tampering.

Who will 4 games seem excessive to? Pats fans? Not sure that is a good enough reason to reduce the suspension.

I was watching the local sports channel here in Florida and I swear the lady crying and screaming on TV is AM...the lady said the same delusional comments...had to be be her

I personally think the severity of the penalties is backwards.  I think Brady should have gotten at least 6 games.  Deflating footballs itself isn't worth 6 games, but you have someone who outright lied to pretty much everyone on multiple occasions and an owner who vehemently denied any wrong-doing and arrogantly said he expected an apology from the league.  The sense of entitlement is far too strong over in New England.  Brady deserves more, in my opinion.  And is a million dollars really that much for an NFL franchise? That's pocket change

Lets not forget, the Pats actually save $880,000 some odd dollars with Brady's four game deduction...

In the end, no punishment will be enough for them unless it affects the super bowl they got because of it. They may have beaten the Colts without cheating, but they don't beat Baltimore without it. Who knows if they even get home field if they don't do it throughout the season? Winning a SB generates far more than a $1mil for a franchise. A super bowl is worth WAY more than 2 draft picks and a 4 game suspension for your QB. Just sayin.....

I think everyone is missing the point here. IMO Tom got off easy Iam sure that anytime after the AFCG when allegations was brought forth against the Patriot organization for unapproved footballs air pressure. Tom could of at anytime brought forth any type of evidence that would of made this whole thing go away and then get on with the SB. But he lied to the media the NFL and the fans in order for himself to be able to compete in the SB, The team won the SB, Tom gets MVP he should of been suspended for 8 games 

Just the issue that an arbitrator can say the punishment was too severe for the crime. They can also make a case that there wasn't enough evidence against Brady and make a case that they really did comply with the league. I'm not saying I agree everything should be reduced , just giving my opinion of what comes down now.

Could be, but I believe Goodell will recuse himself of hearing the appeal and appoint Harold Henderson as arbitrator.  He denied Adrian Peterson's appeal and is to hear Greg Hardy's.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000442847/article/adrian-peterson-appeal-denied-suspension-upheld

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2015/5/7/8566037/roger-goodell-appoints-arbitrator-for-greg-hardy-appeal-choice-is-bad-for-dallas-cowboys

And soon to hear Tom Brady's case (I truly believe).  If Brady fails there, he is only recourse is federal court, and full disclosure.