Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So who do you want tonight in Rounds 2 and 3?

After the Colts first interesting pick of the draft, where will the War room go now? I'm hoping that we go all Defense. I wouldn't mind a RB either, but we gotta get some talent on the other side of the ball. I'll put 2 players for each pick that I'd be happy with.

2nd Round:

Quinten Rollins, DB, Miami (OH): He was a CB in college but projects as a FS in the NFL. He fills a HUGE need. Good tackler, ball-hawking safety. Not near as much of a liability in coverage as Landon Collins is.

Randy Gregory, OLB, Nebraska: Yes, I know, the off-field issues are quite alarming but we're talking about a top 15 pick falling to the bottom of the 2nd round here. The hope would be that he comes in and his personality changes by being in a better locker room. It did wonders for Vontae Davis(even though he wasn't doing drugs) but people called him lazy and now he's a top CB in the league. This is a huge VALUE pick, Boom or Bust but that Boom is too big to ignore.

3rd round:

Ameer Abdullah, RB, Nebraska: I had to go with offense here, with this RB class being as deep as it is. If he falls to us in the 3rd, we should definitely take him. I love his tape. I think he'd be a great fit in our offense.

Carl Davis, NT, Iowa: He had an awesome senior bowl and could step right in and be our starting NT. We need help stopping the run and that's exactly what he would do. He has first round talent, the problem is that he is lazy and had terrible interviews. He doesn't have a great motor. This fills a bigger need but is more risky than Abdullah.

So who do you guys want?

2. Tevon Coleman. Another 4.3 guy (or 4.4) with skill and toughness who falls to late second because he's a RB. He'll probably be BPA too.

A TD threat from the backfield requires the D to respect the play-action, something defenses did not do last year because nobody took TR seriously..which will also give Luck a slower pass rush.

3. One of the safeties (shake them in a bag and pick the best one available at 93) He'll probably be BPA too.

I was kind of thinking about Coleman in the 2nd when the draft started.  But since we blew our first round pick on a WR that leaves the needs on defense even more pressing that I'm not sure we can draft Coleman.  

Seriously upset with Grigson, unless Dorsett becomes a future HOF, Grigson needs to go.  That's how terrible this pick was.  

Round 2.       a) Donovan Smith, OT/OG, Penn State           

b) Eric Rowe, CB/S, Utah

Round 3.       a) Taiwan Jones, ILB, Michigan State    

b)  Bobby Richardson, DE, Indiana

would love defense. Grigs got the BPA on his board, now he can tailor the rest of the draft to positional needs.  I have a feeling of the 8 picks left, only 2 will go offense (RB / OL).  Meaning 6 of 9 go to defense, if we don't trade up and use some of those picks for a higher caliber player.

I was kind of thinking about Coleman in the 2nd when the draft started.  But since we blew our first round pick on a WR that leaves the needs on defense even more pressing that I'm not sure we can draft Coleman.  

Seriously upset with Grigson, unless Dorsett becomes a future HOF, Grigson needs to go.  That's how terrible this pick was.

TY, Moncrief, and Dorsett can be a formidable trio for the next few years. They all have staggered contracts so the guaranteed money can be spaced out.

The thing with D, only the pass rushers are really impact guys. The interior guys are rotational. Ngata, Sapp, Suh and McCoy? are exceptions. Neither of those guys, or a stud edge pass rusher who can stay on the field for running downs, is ever available at 29.

The only way I question this pick is if Malcolm Brown becomes like one of those three D lineman I mentioned.

TY, Moncrief, and Dorsett can be a formidable trio for the next few years. They all have staggered contracts so the guaranteed money can be spaced out.

The thing with D, only the pass rushers are really impact guys. The interior guys are rotational. Ngata, Sapp, Suh and McCoy? are exceptions. Neither of those guys, or a stud edge pass rusher who can stay on the field for running downs, is ever available at 29.

The only way I question this pick is if Malcolm Brown becomes like one of those three D lineman I mentioned.

They arn't all rotational.  Just the guys that we've brought in here are rotational because for some reason we don't believe in defensive line.  

You can impact the defense at any position.  And we need improvements at EVERY position on defense.  

They arn't all rotational.

Any one DT does not have the ability to consistently make plays since they are on the bench often. Which is why I wouldn't be upset if the Colts passed any one particular DT.....at 29. If Ngata was available at 15 and the Colts were picking 15, I might be upset.

If Brown can stay on the field for three downs...and Arthur Jones can't...then he was a need we could have picked. I'd prefer Jones and Kerr on pass rushing downs rather than Jones and Brown. So Brown would have taken Jones spot on the roster, IMO, but because we're paying Jones to be the all-three-down Dlineman, Brown would have been a bit of a redundant pick.

Dorsett can get on the field the same time as TY.

And if we take Coleman in round 2, he can be on the field as much as Gore, creating a bigger TD threat than Gore.

I would consider trading back to be the first option. 

Otherwise, I would look at Alex Carter, CB Stanford. 

In the 3rd round, I would look at Daryl Williams OT Oklahoma. I would also take a look at D'Joun Smith CB Florida Atlantic. 

In the 4th round, Jeremy Langford RB Michigan State. 

I would absolutely consider taking La'el Collins, IF he is a guy that we have ZERO character concerns and feel he has no connections to this heinous event. This could be just a terrible event with terrible timing that Collins has no connection with. 

I would consider trading back to be the first option. 

Otherwise, I would look at Alex Carter, CB Stanford. 

In the 3rd round, I would look at Daryl Williams OT Oklahoma. I would also take a look at D'Joun Smith CB Florida Atlantic. 

In the 4th round, Jeremy Langford RB Michigan State. 

I would absolutely consider taking La'el Collins, IF he is a guy that we have ZERO character concerns and feel he has no connections to this heinous event. This could be just a terrible event with terrible timing that Collins has no connection with. 

Wouldn't mind taking Collins either, think he could be a great pickup for 2nd rd value. I can understand our FO passing on him there, but someone is going to take a flyer on him, he is too good to just let slide forever. If he is still there in the 3rd, my card would be at the podium in about 5 seconds.

Trade up at all cost to get Goldman. Any pick except the 1st next year. I wouldn't mind Jordan Phillips and Tartt though if we stay put.

Drafting Goldman, Collins, Davis, Perryman, or Kendricks is really the only way I'll stop raging about the 1st round pick. But knowing Grigson he'll draft Coleman because he has gamebreaking speed like Perriman and we'll be back where we started.

But Derron Smith, Jaquiski Tartt, Michael Bennett, and others are all guys I'd like in the next 2 rounds.

Yep!!! And to me the biggest thing I see that makes Brown effective is his speed and quick first step. More often than not from what I've watched, when more than one O linemen get their hands on him, he gets eliminated and pushed over a number of times. Not all the time but a large amount. I personally think a guy like Brown is a pressure DT and a penatrator, not a space eater and gap controller. If we want a guy who can control gaps and stuff the run it'd be Goldman in my mind.

Tevin Coleman and Adrian Amos. Coleman will probably be gone 10 picks before ours. So Duke Johnson or Ameer Abdullah in the second. Adrian Amos is a guy I've wanted since early on. He's been rising and I think to get him we'd have to reach in the 3rd.

The first pick could be seen as a brilliant move when the draft is all said and done.  One way is to get the run defense shored up. (Colts have a great pass defense already in place.  I would absolutely LOVE to see them trade up to the top of the 2nd round (since trading up in 2nd is easier then 1st) and grab Goldman or Phillips.  This would not only justify the first pick, but make it just scary.  Solidifying the run defense make it tougher for teams like NE to run the ball constantly to keep the deep WR rotation of Indy off the field.  Teams would then have to throw to ball to play catch-up.  (and I already mentioned our good pass defense)

3rd round is tricky.  Depends on how much faith they have in the free agent safety they signed.  If not much, then i would go Tartt.  If they have some faith in him, then i would go David Johnson.  I think he is the best option behind Coleman.  Great hard nosed runner with the best hands in the RB draft class.  Would be a great asset to Luck.

Tevin Coleman and Adrian Amos. Coleman will probably be gone 10 picks before ours. So Duke Johnson or Ameer Abdullah in the second. Adrian Amos is a guy I've wanted since early on. He's been rising and I think to get him we'd have to reach in the 3rd.

Johnson and Abdullah are rotational players because of their limitations and don't really have the long speed to make them much different than Boom. I'd go defense at 61 if Coleman isn't there and hope to get another RB later in the draft.

I would also consider giving up our 6th to move up to get Coleman if he drops close.

Can you imagine the rage on this board if we actually traded up to get Coleman after picking Dorsett?...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Johnson and Abdullah are rotational players because of their limitations and don't really have the long speed to make them much different than Boom. I'd go defense at 61 if Coleman isn't there and hope to get another RB later in the draft.

I would also consider giving up our 6th to move up to get Coleman if he drops close.

Can you imagine the rage on this board if we actually traded up to get Coleman after picking Dorsett?...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'd love the Coleman pick. I've wanted a rb in the 2nd the whole time. Imagine how good our offense would be if we got a fast rb and add that dimension? No way defenses could cover everyone. At this point I hope we make a play to somehow get another 2 round pick.

I'd love the Coleman pick. I've wanted a rb in the 2nd the whole time. Imagine how good our offense would be if we got a fast rb and add that dimension? No way defenses could cover everyone. At this point I hope we make a play to somehow get another 2 round pick.

Everyone is focusing on the Pats losses. While they were bad, I think the scheme was poor and the games just got away from us. I don't think that changing the roster a bunch on D is going to help. Scoring more points will.

The losses that were real blowouts were the Pitt and Dallas losses. We had no chance after the first quarter, IMO. That shows you just how much hurt a team with multiple weapons can put on another. Green Bay is the same kind of team, and I think they actually beat the Pats last year. Seattle tried to play smash mouth (since that's all they can do) and lost.

Everyone is focusing on the Pats losses. 

this.  getting too caught up with the patriots is not a good way to move forward.  i like the dorsett pick now that the shock has worn off.  at some point i hope we find an impact guy for both lines but if we end up with a great running back like coleman or one of the others that would be fine too.  

Round 2 - Maxx Williams....represents great value at the bottom of the second, and we have to start building for the future. Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener are both in contract years, and Williams could battle Jack Doyle for reps as the #3 TE. In 2016 he could very well be our starter.

Round 3 - We should just trade this pick to the Rams for Zac Stacy. He's salty about the Rams drafting Gurley and wants to be traded. He could come right in and average the 3.0 yards a carry our offense likes.

Gotta make some moves up by trading our 6, 7 round picks to get extra picks in rounds 4, 5.

Round 2 Targets need to be guys like: Carl Davis, Preston Smith, Landon Collins, Eric Rowe, Eric Kendricks, Duke Johnson, Jordan Phillips, Grady Jarrett, TJ Clemmings, Donovan Smith, La'el Collins, Quinten Rollins, Benardrick McKinney, Jake Fisher

Round 3 Targets need to be guys like: Henry Anderson, Derron Smith, Denzel Perryman, Michael Bennett, Ameer Abdullah, Jay Ajayi, Lorenzo Mauldin, other defensive value players

Hard to say based on availability, but just for fun: 

2.  Quinten Rollins, CB/S, Miami (Ohio) (maybe dump Greg Toler & his $5.5 mil against the cap this year if possible)

3.  Ali Marpet, Swiss Army Knife, Hobart (Like Mewhort pick last year, Marpet can play multiple spots... possibly new center)