Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

after sleeping on it

CR91

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think he will become a fan favorite, and I look forward to that day.  We got a talented and strong young man.....just wished we would have gone big.

No one is denying that, everyone loves a guy who makes plays for their team.  

No one has any issue at all with the player.  No one thinks he's a bust or anything.

It's just we had so many needs elsewhere and we used a top pick on another WR.  

The longer I look at it, the more I am ok with it.  Not thrilled, but I can see the point.  And my guess... Hilton is gone after this year (unless we can RFA him).

The one thing I considered though, is with the Jets taking Williams, and the idea that they're hanging Wilkerson out there...  if we suspect that we cannot retain Hilton after this year, perhaps we trade Hilton and a pick for Wilkerson.  I suspect Wilkerson has more value than Hilton, so I would guess we have to give up a 2 or 3 plus Hilton (but just guessing really).  But if we brought in a guy like Wilkerson, that would totally change our defense unlike any player in the draft.  I know this probably won't happen (and would probably be majorly expensive)... but a guy can dream.

No one is denying that, everyone loves a guy who makes plays for their team.  

No one has any issue at all with the player.  No one thinks he's a bust or anything.

It's just we had so many needs elsewhere and we used a top pick on another WR.  

I am totally with you.  Brown was my man, but you could have argued for Landon Collins or Goldman...or an O-lineman...

He's a great player. No doubt. I've not seen one person say he sucks or that he's going to be a bust.

But there were other great players on the board that could help us in areas of (serious) need. Areas that MUST be addressed before we win a Super Bowl.

We're a better team today than we were 24 hours ago.

And we'll be better later tonight after rounds 2 and 3.

And we'll be better tomorrow after the rest of the draft.

...and in January? 

Can't argue with your premise, but Indy fans in particular know that a high flying offense and an impotent defense usually translates to trouble in the post season. 

I'm fine with the pick. It's not who I thought they were going to pick but that's not important. The team could trade up to the beginning of round two and snag a first round guy that slid.

Thought I'd share this:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/for-hire-receiver-with-big-speed-and-big-heart/

Initially I was shocked by the pick but I'm coming around.

I think we got an impact player.  Everything I've read about him paints a picture of a guy who is smart and tough with character and unreal talent.  He is gonna be special.

This kid is awesome, as I've been saying, the best WR in the draft.

...and in January?

Can't argue with your premise, but Indy fans in particular know that a high flying offense and an impotent defense usually translates to trouble in the post season.

They should cancel the rest of the draft. There are no more opportunities to improve our team after we didn't take a defensive player in the first round.

/sarcasm

Out coached. Out played. Out schemed. Out everything. Having said that, I'm not going to criticize the pick yet. I want to see what we do in round 2 and 3.

I'll wait till the rest of the draft before I thrown myself off the bridge. I have no doubt the kid is talented but he was and is far from a need. Complete luxury pick. Let's hope we have some moves or plans in store.

I havent had a chance to sleep on it yet (aussie) but the mire i think the more i like the pick, seems to be a great player on film, now we can go with 5 wide out sets...what defense can honestly say they have 5 coverage guys that can run with the wide recievers we have, more than likely two will get beat badly wether its a safety covering or an unlucky line backer. Too much speed for defenses if we do.

The other is depth, players get injured all the time and i feel more confidant now if someone was to go down (hope not)

He is incredibly fast, and he had a true freshmen QB in an offense that ran the ball a lot. We can hate the pick all we want, but if you watch the film you'll see the upside is there. He has that rare ability to turn a 4 yard gain into a 15-20 yard gain. Plus, I'm not sure Luck could ever overthrow this kid.

They should cancel the rest of the draft. There are no more opportunities to improve our team after we didn't take a defensive player in the first round.

/sarcasm

OK?

We haven't gotten anything out of the most critical phase of the draft, round 1, in 3 years. Dorsett may correct this trend. Dude looks terrific. 

He is incredibly fast, and he had a true freshmen QB in an offense that ran the ball a lot. We can hate the pick all we want, but if you watch the film you'll see the upside is there. He has that rare ability to turn a 4 yard gain into a 15-20 yard gain. Plus, I'm not sure Luck could ever overthrow this kid.

I don't think anybody is arguing he's not a great talent.  But, there were other positions that needed attention.  And, then for NE to pick up Brown.  Rub some salt in the open wound.....

The kid has wheels, and seems to have great hands. 

But.....

We didn't need another receiver. We need defense. The 2 best safeties, a great ILB, and DT were still there at #29. 

After sleeping on it, I'm still not cool with picking a WR. At all. 

The kid has wheels, and seems to have great hands. 

But.....

We didn't need another receiver. We need defense. The 2 best safeties, a great ILB, and DT were still there at #29. 

After sleeping on it, I'm still not cool with picking a WR. At all. 

Ditto.

Agree in red, disagree in blue. I can't stop b!+ching about the stupidity of the pick. Just

can't wrap my head around it.

Lol, I'm not laughing at you. Im laughing with you. I have mixed feelings on it. I just went to Draftek and read their scathing review of the pick. Of course, those sites try to make their selections based upon NEED. I get it. WR was way down on the list of needs for this team.

One thing I will say is that when you pick at the bottom of a round its because you had success and in theory your needs shouldn't be dictating how you select. I think you have to take BPA. Having said that, if the best available guy was a QB obviously you have to move on to your next BPA at position of need. I don't think Grigson did that. He just saw BPA and took him so it would seem.

Having said all that, this kid could be the next TY Hilton, Reggie Wayne or what have you. NFL games are won by playmakers. If you don't have playmakers you arent going to win. Not saying there wasnt a playmaker on defense to select but it seems like Dorsett has the potential to be a homerun hitter and that's tough to walk away from.

Grigson better hope that Dorsett is playmaker and theres some defensive additons made because if he doesnt he may have sealed his own fate. If he swings and whiff's on this one, he just cut his own throat. I hope the pick works out personally

Slept on it, still hate the pick.

Love the player, think he will be great, but the GLARING holes we have on defense and the need for a RT are killing the enthusiasm.

Luck makes the WR around him better, just like Manning did when he was here, and the same reason why the Patriots never pick a WR in the first round, When you have a ridiculous QB like Luck you can make average talent good (see Wes Welker) and make really good talent elite (see aging Randy Moss). I just don't understand why our FO is trying to rebuild this late 2000's model of the Colts that obviously didn't work as we all hoped.

Look at the Seahawks, back 2 back SB appearances with a just above average offense, and an elite defense.

Part of me wonders how many of you people (no slur there) who were so worried about Grigson reaching for Damarious Randall because of need, are now upset because he stuck to his board and got the BPA... 

Malcolm Brown was bad value at 29, but apparently three picks later he was good enough value for the team that not only won the Super Bowl, but has been the biggest thorn in our butt for the last decade and a half. We took a receiver, they took the guy we should have taken. That is why we put up Star Wars numbers, and they win championships.

I think, just think, that what has many upset with or dumbfounded by this pick (that's me), is that is looks and sound eerily similar to what we went through during the Polian era-- always focusing on O with early picks, a nod at the D every once in a while...and continuing to get beat in the playoffs by more physical, more balanced teams.  Lest we forget we had Peyton Manning for 14 years, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Edge/Addai, good TE play...and we still had more one and done years in the playoffs than any other team. We have tried the strategy to stockpile O talent, and for  years we had the best O talent money could buy.  It was entertaining. The stats were off the charts. That led us to one championship.

We were told no more Star Wars,etc, and yet this looks all to familiar for many...

It's real apparent Dorsett has a high likelihood of being a good player.  Suppose we took Malcolm Brown and he turns out to be about as good as Zach Kerr or Hughes which could be likely in his first year. We would still have a stopping the run problem and basically didn't fill the need even though we picked a player at that position.    

I think, just think, that what has many upset with or dumbfounded by this pick (that's me), is that is looks and sound eerily similar to what we went through during the Polian era-- always focusing on O with early picks, a nod at the D every once in a while...and continuing to get beat in the playoffs by more physical, more balanced teams.  Lest we forget we had Peyton Manning for 14 years, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Edge/Addai, good TE play...and we still had more one and done years in the playoffs than any other team. We have tried the strategy to stockpile O talent, and for  years we had the best O talent money could buy.  It was entertaining. The stats were off the charts. That led us to one championship.

We were told no more Star Wars,etc, and yet this looks all to familiar for many...

Some of you are so silly.  Do you not realize that most of the good defensive lineman and defensive players are still on the board?  We've still got 8 picks left so stop with the whining.

This draft is loaded with wideouts in rounds 2 and 3 too, krunk.

If Dorsett and Malcolm Brown were the same value (obviously endorsed by the Patriots 3 picks later, IMO), I then cannot understand the Dorsett pick.

Cannot build a team outside in. When the early 2000 Colts teams' OL got manhandled by the Patriots' DL and LBs, whether it was Diem giving up late blitzes from Bruschi/McGinnest or Lilja giving up late blitzes by Joey Porter, all those Harrison, Wayne, Stokely, Clark weapons never got a chance to get the ball. So, having playmakers on the outside did not help when you couldn't protect Peyton when it counted. Or when we needed stops the most, whether it was the 2008 Chargers game or 2007 Chargers game against Volek/Turner or the 2003/2004/2005/2009 SB/2010 playoff games, 7 and 8 minute drives were the norm against a less than stout D-line of the Colts.

If you want playmakers, get the playmakers for the trenches, that is where it is won in the playoffs. Brady can make Edelman and Lafell look good, not the other way if your QB is elite. Brady is still not as mobile as Luck but his OL protects him and his defense gets him the ball back most of the time (at least during his first 3 SBs) when he needs it.

Given the fact that OL and DL does take a little time to contribute, maybe a couple of years, you might as well invest in a guy with a higher ceiling when available. I had vouched for Cordy Glenn over Fleener then in 2012 and felt we probably did not have to go through the russian roulette then (even now it is going on) with Justice, McGlynn etc. and still feel that way. I will feel the same way about this pick too.

For me if the front office says we have the players on defense to step up this year then im going to wait and see if thats true, irsay would not let them pass on brown or goldman if they didnt have the logic to back it, he aproves every pick so im sure he would have said something. If we win the superbowl everyone will be saying different about not drafting a defensive player in the first round, save your judgement until after the season on that previous years draft, if it doesnt work out then im sure irsay will have a few things to say or consider. We dont know if they think there is a gem of a player in the 5th round to give us a starter on the dline.

For me if the front office says we have the players on defense to step up this year then im going to wait and see if thats true, irsay would not let them pass on brown or goldman if they didnt have the logic to back it, he aproves every pick so im sure he would have said something. If we win the superbowl everyone will be saying different about not drafting a defensive player in the first round, save your judgement until after the season on that previous years draft, if it doesnt work out then im sure irsay will have a few things to say or consider. We dont know if they think there is a gem of a player in the 5th round to give us a starter on the dline.

It's real apparent Dorsett has a high likelihood of being a good player.  Suppose we took Malcolm Brown and he turns out to be about as good as Zach Kerr or Hughes which could be likely in his first year. We would still have a stopping the run problem and basically didn't fill the need even though we picked a player at that position.    

Which is the exact explanation GMs give for their BPA mantra.