Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are we keeping Donald Thomas?

Valpo2004

I know everyone thinks we should release him and I don't disagree with that at all.

But here is the thing. . . the guy is still on the roster.  As far as I can tell there is no reason to wait this long to release him other then the possibility that Grigson wants to keep him and give him one last shot of playing.

Maybe we keep him through camp and see how he does. If he doesn't get hurt, great for us. At this point, that's a big IF. I would love to see him back out there.

The loss of course is that if he gets hurt in camp again or something then he's stuck on IR and we can't cut players on IR.  So his salary essentially becomes dead money.

I feel he should probably be cut but I can't seem to shake the picture of his face when he got hurt last year. The poor guy worked his tail off to rehab his injury from the year before and then goes down immediately last year. Tough break for him and the Colts.

If he is truly healthy now I think he'd be great competition and possibly a starter next year. Hell, can't he play center?

I was never really on board the "cut Thomas" train because he's a really good player when healthy and at worst he could be a great backup at all 3 interior positions. I know we already have Reitz for that versatile backup but, with our history, I'll take all the line talent we can get.

If there is not a player that we need to cut him for....what would be the point?

Yeah, I agree.  If some player that they want to sign becomes available, then cut Thomas for the extra cap space.  If not, we can at least see how he does through TC and preseason. 

If it's not a cap concern, then why would anyone want to cut him now? 

Put it this way, if he's healthy who would you rather have as a backup G.  Him or Thornton?

It's not that it's a cap issue, but if he gets hurt again, we have to pay him again. It's not worth the risk, and he's not being paid like a low-risk reserve. If he's willing to write down his 2015 salary to vet minimum, maybe with incentives, then great. If not, he's gotta go.

I don't think they can adjust it.  He's in his last year and isn't being paid that much anyways.  

He's not in his last year.

He signed a 4 year deal two years ago.     We can re-do the deal....   the question is....   are we?

One would think yes....

If he is truly healthy now I think he'd be great competition and possibly a starter next year. Hell, can't he play center?

I was never really on board the "cut Thomas" train because he's a really good player when healthy and at worst he could be a great backup at all 3 interior positions. I know we already have Reitz for that versatile backup but, with our history, I'll take all the line talent we can get.

I couldn't agree more!  Everyone wants to cut half the roster from last year, but we have to replace those folks, and if you spend the savings on some big name, we will struggle for depth again.  Heaven forbid the BIG name gets hurt.... Thomas has as much upside as anyone if he can stay healthy, has a lot less wear and tear on his body lately too!  Relax everyone, have a snickers....

I couldn't agree more!  Everyone wants to cut half the roster from last year, but we have to replace those folks, and if you spend the savings on some big name, we will struggle for depth again.  Heaven forbid the BIG name gets hurt.... Thomas has as much upside as anyone if he can stay healthy, has a lot less wear and tear on his body lately too!  Relax everyone, have a snickers....

All of that is beside the point.

It's not that it's a cap issue, but if he gets hurt again, we have to pay him again. It's not worth the risk, and he's not being paid like a low-risk reserve. If he's willing to write down his 2015 salary to vet minimum, maybe with incentives, then great. If not, he's gotta go.

I agree, he needs to redo his contract.  He's been paid well for doing nothing the last two years.

But if he does lower his price, I think he needs another shot.  I like the incentive part.  He's probably not going to get much more from any other team if we cut him anyway.

If there is not a player that we need to cut him for....what would be the point?

How about to free up cap space to play a player that can actually stay on the field, or just to free up cap space in general even if it's just to roll forward.

You left out the the post I was agreeing with and the first part of my comment. It's ok to disagree, but take the WHOLE comment into account.

I did, that's why I said it's ALL beside the point.

The point is that if he gets hurt again, we're on the hook, again. The experiment isn't worth another lost $3.5m.

Not only that, we have projected starters at all three positions he can play. I'm fine with him for depth, but not for $3.5m.

So it's not that he's terrible or anything. It's that he's more likely to get injured prior to the season starting than to actually make us better. And if that happens, we will have spent -- wasted -- $10m+ for 60 snaps and the dream of Donald Thomas.

If he wants to stay, and it sounds like he does, he needs to assume the risk and take a lower salary with incentives.

I would not be shocked if he plays good and is healthy if our oline looked like either of these two lines

Costanzo - mewhort -Thomas - Herremans - Cherilus Backups being Holmes Louis Reitz

Costanzo - Thomas -Mewhort -Herremans -Cherilus same backups ?

Edited by 21isSuperman

I would not be shocked if he plays good and is healthy if our oline looked like either of these two lines

Costanzo - mewhort -Thomas - Herremans - Cherilus Backups being Holmes Louis Reitz

Costanzo - Thomas -Mewhort -Herremans -Cherilus same backups ?

has Thomas or Mewhort ever played center?