Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What to do about safety? [Merge]

COLTS449

What's everyone's opinion on how we'll address this position? Do you think we'll sign a FA, draft a Safety early, or both? We need to address the trenches first and foremost, but Safety is a major need. I know a lot of people want Adams back, but I don't see him repeating this past seasons success myself. I'd love McCourty, but I think New England tags him. I see us targeting guys like Louis Delmas or Antrel Rolle and then also drafting the other starter in the 2nd or 3rd. Also a guy like Tyvon Branch who may get released. I could see Grigs going after him for a year. He hasn't played but a few games in the last 2 years due to injuries, but he's still just 28 and was a beast when healthy. If we did sign him to a cheep 1 year deal to come in and compete for a spot, we could end up getting a steal similar to the Dolphins signing Grimes to that 1year deal two offseason's ago. I'm curious to know what everyone thinks we'll do because we basically have no starting Safeties on our roster right now. Its bad to have a hole at one safety spot, nonetheless both.

I have hopes for McDonald as well. He seems to have a lot of good traits. I'd like to see what he looks like in coverage though. I would love to sign McCourty if he isn't tagged, then let McDonald, Brown, Guy, draft pick, and even Howell compete at SS. Or maybe sign McCourty, then also sign a mid tier guy like Branch, Conte, Demps, Lowery, Gilchrist, etc. This way we could focus the draft on the trenches and the linebacking corps. IDK, there's so many possibilities. I do think Grigs will target some star players this offseason considering we're not many pieces away.

You have to draft one. At this point you're spending more money getting safeties (most of which are average or below average)via free agency then if you drafted a young guy. I didn't exactly think Howell was incredible but he was cheap and played good by UDFA standards.

It's necessary money when you can get a young guy with room to grow instead of a vet who's not in his prime. You'd have to pay a 3rd round pick like what $2 million over the course of his rookie contract if that? You'd have to pay Antrel Rolle about $6-7 million for 2 years or something in that range?

you really can't put faith in either McDonald or Howell at this point... while it would be great for all Colts fans if either of took control and dominated the rest of their career, but the likelihood that either will be starters in the future is slim

I personally think they should resign Adams for short-term (lets see if he can replicate that ProBowl caliber season), resign Sergio and then draft a safety

If we trade up for Collins ill be disappointed

I don't think we'll trade up for anyone.   

Grigson said he didn't trade up last year because it would've cost him draft picks this year.    He doesn't want to trade picks.

He wants to use the picks he has.     I don't think you have anything to worry about....

We'll probably re-sign Mike Adams, retain Dewey Mcdonald and Winston Guy.  Not sure what we are going to do with Sergio Brown.

I say we will draft a safety like J. Tartt, Prewitt, or Hackett.  Plus Grigs will bring in a solid UDFA prospect or two.

We'll re-sign Adams and Brown.

We'll sign a FA     (I don't know who)

And we'll draft one.     The bad news is this is being called a very weak crop of Safeties this year.    Just bad luck for us....

That is the bad news I totally agree with your scenario don't see any other way we can do it.

I am a big Irish fan so my glasses might have a little rose to them but I liked what I saw from Sergio last year. Adams if he can give us one more year. The back end is already in better shape just not having Landry IMO.

Good news is there seems to be some guys that can help the front 7 even if they aren't every down guys right away. I like Perryman a lot. I know he only gets us to 3rd down and we have had trouble with covering TE's but man he is a killer. 

There are some DL that could help right away I think that might be what we do at 29 and I really like Hardison a little later. Sprinkle in the right FA's we will be in good shape.

I have confidence Grig's will get it done. I really think this team takes a big step next year.

I don't know a lot about him but would rather us upgrade front 7 before DB

I agree we need to keep CB in mind but not that early especially not on another knucklehead. That is what has set us back at WR and CB hoping guys suddenly get it when their history clearly shows otherwise

• 2 weeks later...

I I like adams and sergio. Do you really think free agency or the draft help the position? I honestly think the problem is the dline. If no pressure is put on the qb and rb, the safeties and cbs are scrambling everywhere getting tired.

1. I dont want them to be our starting safeties

2. YES McCourty or R.Moore would be ideal signings/ there are about 2-4 safeties who could be drafted and help instantly, Collins but will be long gone at #29

3. Dline is a problem but i dont think they are the reason our safeties were getting burned/ but when you consider the year Davis,Adams and Toler had i dont think they were scrambling everywhere. If Adams had that kind of yr with us imagine the kind of yr McCourty would have.. I like Adams and all but theres a reason he wasnt signed untill late june

Most likely we're looking at Mike Adams and Tyvon Branch as the starting safeties, and we'll probably draft a guy like Tartt or Smith in the 3rd too. I think our big signings are going to be in the front 7.

You really think the team is going to invest in Branch? I don't know much about the guy honestly. I saw that his last contract was 26 mil so I'm guessing he's going to want a nice pay day here also.

I'd rather have Mike Adams or even Sergio at Safety over Branch. Branch is way too unreliable health wise. 

I think we should re-sign Mike Adams, and go after Raheem Moore if we can't get McCourty. Re-sign Sergio Brown and we have both him and McDonald for depth. 

It looks like McCourty is staying in NE. 

I think we should go after Rahim Moore from Denver. It seems he's looking for around $5M/yr and he's only 25 years old. I think he's worth it. 

Re-sign Mike Adams for the other spot and re-sign Sergio Brown for quality depth along with McDonald. 

We need to stay out of the (often injured) Tyvon Branch sweepstakes. 

What do you guys think?