Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts will talk to Brian Orakpo in a few days.

In all seriousness, I would like this move. If we can keep him healthy, he's a beast. We do have leverage in that he hasn't been able to stay healthy. Perhaps that could lead to a deal with a low guaranteed figure and a lot of incentives

exactly it's not like we're signing him to a massive contract if we get him like you said healthy he's a beast

There are some "ifs" here, but If Orakpo is 100 %, and if Mathis comes back healthy. Our pass rush is one of the best in the league. Mathis and Orakpo starting, and Walden, Newsome, and Werner rotating. Werner would probably be the odd man out though if I had to guess. I see Newsome really taking that next step next season. Don't forget that Orakpo's had 4 really good seasons out of 6. Those 2 are the injury years. Just in 2013 he had 10 sacks. I want Hardy, but I wouldn't mind Orakpo at all.

Why? Have he played a full season yet? 

He played 2 full seasons in 2009 and 2011, and played 15-game seasons in 2010 and 2013.  He missed 14 games in 2012 because of a torn pectoral and missed 9 games last season also because of a pectoral injury.

Here's his career stats:

2009: 16 Games, 11 Sacks, 1 FF

2010: 15 Games, 8.5 Sacks, 1 FF 

2011: 16 Games, 9 Sacks, 3 FF

2012: 2 Games, 1 Sack, 1 FF (Torn Pectoral - Injured Reserve)

2013: 15 Games, 10 Sacks, 1 INT

2014: 7 Games, 0.5 Sacks, (Torn Pectoral - Injured Reserve)

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see us sign Orakpo even with the injury history. Not my first choice due to the recent run of injuries he's had, but he's definitely a threat when healthy.  But to me just based on comments he's made on television he's interested in playing for one of the Texas teams. He's been playing in a 3-4 in Washington so that leans more towards the Texans, but I've seen him coming off the edge in College with his hand in the dirt so I suppose he could fit in Dallas as well. And I know he's a fit in our scheme as well.  

All those torn pecs scare me though. Definitely an upgrade if he can remain healthy, although I'm kind of leaning more towards Mcphee.  If not Mcphee or Orakpo the other and probably only option that is left would be Greg Hardy.  I don't see Trent Cole as an option to be honest.

NBC Washington reports the Falcons have emerged as the "frontrunner" to sign free agent OLB Brian Orakpo.

New Falcons coach Dan Quinn may be eyeing Orakpo to play the "Leo" pass rusher role in his 4-3 under defense. Atlanta is also targeting Brooks Reed, whose strengths are versus the run and in pass coverage. The Falcons will have to hold off the Cardinals, Colts, and Redskins to land 28-year-old Orakpo.

Related: Falcons

I laughed out loud at that.

Could they do an incentive-based contract?   I'm not contract/cap space/FA knowledgeable so I'm asking. 

You can do whatever you want with a contract (almost) but players really like guaranteed money. If Atlanta offers him 2 year 14M with 7M guaranteed, and we offer him 2 year 8M with 0 guaranteed and a 500k per sack bonus (only need 6 sacks to tie Atlantas offer) he'll sign with Atlanta, even though he technically could make a lot more money here.

I laughed out loud at that.

Could they do an incentive-based contract?   I'm not contract/cap space/FA knowledgeable so I'm asking. 

You can pretty much do whatever you want.  You can guarantee him vet min, then give him performance based incentives, like $100K for 5 sacks, $500K for 10 sacks, or whatever you like.  The issue is getting him/his agent to sign on with it

I'd be fine with this.

We are going into this with our eyes open. We know he's not signing a huge multi year deal. If he gets injured the que cera cera. 

When he's healthy he is better than Werner and Walden.

1-2yr deal please.

I'll say it again.  I think we'll end up signing Orakpo, there's just not many guys left out there that can put pressure on the QB other than Hardy.  Even with his injury history I think Grigs will take the risk, and then pick up 1 to 2 pass rushers in the draft to offset the potential risk of signing Orakpo.  This all assumes Orakpo wants to play here.

I'd love to get Osackpo. He'll come at a bargain price due to his injuries but when he plays he's excellent. He'd be awesome in tandem with Mathis.

I think the potential reward in signing Orakpo trumps the risk.

Has to be better then Shaun Phillips.