Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign RB Frank Gore (update)

RealityIsLuck

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this move.  Although I'd rather have Murray, I wouldn't want to bet the farm on him.  With an improved O-line (hopefully), our run game will improve.  

I am curious if you know Murray's injury problem? Were you aware that Murray has not had one injury free year that dates back to high school?

If you're over 32 and you were a good player in your 20's then chances are the Colts are signing you! It might be Lucas Oil Stadium but next season it's going to be AARP field.

Really?  I guess that's one way to look at it...they're only signing old players.  Or, another way to look at it is that they're adding a veteran presence to various position groups that no longer had a veteran presence. 

Our RB group was Trent, Boom and Tipton...with Gore signing, Trent may be gone, so that would have left Boom and Tipton.  Gore gives them a still effective 2-3 year stop gap veteran presence.  I would still expect the Colts bring in another RB in the draft.

Our WR group was TY, Moncrief, Carter and Whalen.  Johnson gives a still effective veteran presence in the WR corp for 2-3 years.  I still expect the Colts to bring in another WR in the draft.

Our edge rushers were Mathis, Werner, Walden and Newsome.  Mathis is still a question mark so Cole gives us a 2-3 year insurance policy and veteran presence in our group of edge rushers.

Who?   The claim is that the line prevents anyone from being a good runner.  Just not true.

Far from the truth.  A power rusher depends on the 2 guards and Center (BTW were the most inexperienced part of our team).  Power runners=up the gut.  Slashers/speed guys such as Herron and Bradshaw go in between the T and G or off T majority of the time (Ironically enough were we had 2 veterans).  So to add to your statement, it has everything to do with the talent of the line, and what type of rusher you have running, and what holes/blocking schemes!

I may be in the minority here, but I think we're giving him too much money.  A 3 year deal for a RB who is already 31 and has a lot of wear and tear on his tires?  Yeah, he's been consistent, but no one can evade Father Time.  I'm not a fan of the money we're giving him here.  I think we should have stuck to getting a RB in the draft or finding a cheaper vet to sign.

I may be in the minority here, but I think we're giving him too much money.  A 3 year deal for a RB who is already 31 and has a lot of wear and tear on his tires?  Yeah, he's been consistent, but no one can evade Father Time.  I'm not a fan of the money we're giving him here.  I think we should have stuck to getting a RB in the draft or finding a cheaper vet to sign.

Everyone overpays in free agency. Like most of our free agent deals, they will be front-loaded, meaning they get most of the money for their contract early on when you hope they are the most productive (with older vets obviously).

Let's not forget either that the Colts will have some big contracts to deal with within the next year or two with Luck and everyone else's rookie deals from 12' expiring. Once that happens, the Colts won't be dabbling into free agency like this. The Colts see this as a window of opportunity to bring in anyone that can help push them JUST over the top and into a championship while they have the money to do so.

Really?  I guess that's one way to look at it...they're only signing old players.  Or, another way to look at it is that they're adding a veteran presence to various position groups that no longer had a veteran presence. 

Our RB group was Trent, Boom and Tipton...with Gore signing, Trent may be gone, so that would have left Boom and Tipton.  Gore gives them a still effective 2-3 year stop gap veteran presence.  I would still expect the Colts bring in another RB in the draft.

Our WR group was TY, Moncrief, Carter and Whalen.  Johnson gives a still effective veteran presence in the WR corp for 2-3 years.  I still expect the Colts to bring in another WR in the draft.

Our edge rushers were Mathis, Werner, Walden and Newsome.  Mathis is still a question mark so Cole gives us a 2-3 year insurance policy and veteran presence in our group of edge rushers.

You're counting on a 32 year old RB to give you 2-3 years of high level production?!?!?! Okaaaaaaay. I don't see the Colts carrying 6 WR's on the active roster. Trent Cole hasn't been an elite pass rusher since 2011. I know free agency gets the fan base excited but there's not really much reason to believe this won't be more of the same. Thinking Cole will be an "insurance policy" for the next 2-3 years is insane. Veteran presence must be really important, since teams like the Patriots routinely cut players once they age and continue to win on a consistent basis. If you think mid-30 year old, non-QB players routinely produce at elite levels in the NFL you must be pretty new to this whole fan thing.

You're in the minority but you're exactly right. He turns 32 before the season starts. Casual fans LOVE these moves because they actually know the names of the players but any educated fan has to be skeptical at best.

Just because it's a 3-year-deal doesn't mean they expect him to stay 3 years. Most contracts now are loaded up with some fake years/money so you can cut them early. Don't look at the whole thing, just look at the guaranteed money. 7.5 million is a bargain in this free agent market.

Just because it's a 3-year-deal doesn't mean they expect him to stay 3 years. Most contracts now are loaded up with some fake years/money so you can cut them early. Don't look at the whole thing, just look at the guaranteed money. 7.5 million is a bargain in this free agent market.

I get that, but $7.5 mil is still more guaranteed money than I'd like to give a 31 year old RB over 3 years.  I think that $2.5 mil could be spent better elsewhere, even if you set it aside for a running back

We will draft a RB book it. Ive always been a big frank gore fan. Guy runs hard and he has everything you want in a RB. 12 mil over 3 years isn't that much in Today's NFL.

You guys would have been better served signing Forsett. Less wear on the tires.

5 years of nothing and then one good season at age 30? I think if the Colts draft a RB and have that person behind Gore and Boom (maybe Bradshaw too, Ballard will also be back). We don't need 1000 yard rusher, just need enough to balance the O and pass block and not fumble. Also need some more vets in the locker room. Also not bad contract terms for Gore.

I like Gore. Not only is he a workhorse back and good around the goal line but he is great in pass blocking too! A solid signing that will get the most out whatever our line can open up. I do think we still look for a back in the draft to round out our backfield but this is a good strong signing.

Really? I guess that's one way to look at it...they're only signing old players. Or, another way to look at it is that they're adding a veteran presence to various position groups that no longer had a veteran presence.

Our RB group was Trent, Boom and Tipton...with Gore signing, Trent may be gone, so that would have left Boom and Tipton. Gore gives them a still effective 2-3 year stop gap veteran presence. I would still expect the Colts bring in another RB in the draft.

Our WR group was TY, Moncrief, Carter and Whalen. Johnson gives a still effective veteran presence in the WR corp for 2-3 years. I still expect the Colts to bring in another WR in the draft.

Our edge rushers were Mathis, Werner, Walden and Newsome. Mathis is still a question mark so Cole gives us a 2-3 year insurance policy and veteran presence in our group of edge rushers.

Best post I've seen today and 100% spot on.

Shefter is usually spot on. I can't believe he keeps scooping Chris Mortensen. Is Morty getting old? WTH? Anyway, like the previous post says, not a deal until the ink dries around 4:05pm :)

This is NOT the BIG SPLASH. We need a really BIG SPLASH. Who is it going to be? It needs to be someone in the 25-27 year-old range who has a lot of miles left in their gitty-up. Any thoughts?

You don't think gore and johnson are big splashes? What are you looking for?

Good stuff. Grigson is trying to solidify the need positions with vets for this year and next. He's gonna draft younger guys in behind these guys so we can compete for a title for the next 10 years.

You're counting on a 32 year old RB to give you 2-3 years of high level production?!?!?! Okaaaaaaay.

you seem to suffer from a severe comprehension disability.  Where is the phrase "high level production" in my previous post?  I said Gore provides "still effective 2-3 year stop gap veteran presence".  Not the same thing at all. 

I don't see the Colts carrying 6 WR's on the active roster.

Neither do I.  I never said they would carry 6 WRs on the active roster.  Bringing in AJ and a draft pick would pretty much mean that, unless it's a low round draft pick, then Whalen probably doesn't make the final 53.  I only included him because he's been on and off the active roster the past couple of years and technically still is an option for the Colts.  So basically, it would be 6 WRs going into training camp with the weak link being cut and possibly (if applicable) moved to the practice squad.   Now that I know how much I have to spell things out, our future communications should go more smoothly.

Trent Cole hasn't been an elite pass rusher since 2011....Thinking Cole will be an "insurance policy" for the next 2-3 years is insane.

Again, where is the phrase "elite pass rusher" in my previous post?  I said Cole "gives us a 2-3 year insurance policy and veteran presence in our group of edge rushers."  BTW, you're complaining that he isn't an elite pass rusher, who is/was the available elite pass rusher that you wanted the Colts to sign?  I should probably have said 1-2 years instead of 2-3, but I don't think insanity is the difference between the 2. 

Veteran presence must be really important, since teams like the Patriots routinely cut players once they age and continue to win on a consistent basis.

Yes, veteran presence is really important.  The difference between NE and Indy though is that NE has a long-since established group of core veteran players, and they have several years worth of young players they are also developing at the same time.  Therefore they can afford to lose some of their aging players once they begin to decline, but NE still has a vet core on the team as well.  Indy is still working on getting to that point since, you know, they blew up almost the entire roster just 3 years ago.  But this can be a pretty complicated concept.  Maybe you're still pretty new to this whole fan thing?

If you think mid-30 year old, non-QB players routinely produce at elite levels in the NFL you must be pretty new to this whole fan thing.

Aside from Andre Johnson, who have the Colts signed that are mid-30's?  Cole is still 32 and Gore is 31.  Johnson is 33 so he's just entering his "mid-30s" but the contracts for Cole and Gore will expire by the time they reach their mid-30s.  The whole math thing can be kinda complicated too though I guess.