Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign RB Frank Gore (update)

RealityIsLuck

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought they played together actually. They played in the 2001 championship with Miami right?

Yep the HBs were Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee, Najeh Davenport, and Gore. Wow, that was a stable of HBs. AJ went to Miami High. Gore went to Coral Gables.

or you could look at them as veterans to lead our young group of men. With reggie gone, and redding possibly retiring, we have no veteran leadership outside of mathis.

Vonte, Toler, Castonzo, Gosder, Hasselbeck, Jones, Jackson, Adams. Hell, Luck and that draft class are going into their 4th year. Veteran leadership isn't something I worry about.

Herremans, Gore, AJ......geezer squad

This was funny to me.

Yeah, they are older but, maybe our offense needs some more experience... the kind they would bring.

We are pretty young all over the team and bringing in some tried and true players with wisdom could be the way we go.

FRANK-ly... I am ok with that.

my god, chill out. It hasn't even happened and people are already whining. get a grip

I'm upset because it is a big deal.  Why pay mediocre players a decent salary to do mediocre things?  I would much rather overpay GREAT players to get good results!  Soon to be 32 year old Frank Gore and 32 year old Trent Cole is NOT smart to pickup!  Unless we are getting players like Houston and Searcy we aren't making major upgrades to our defense.  That's what we need to worry about.  Getting better.  The Colts are a good team now.  They're not winning a SB with adding only mediocre players. 

I'm upset because it is a big deal. Why pay mediocre players a decent salary to do mediocre things? I would much rather overpay GREAT players to get good results! Soon to be 32 year old Frank Gore and 32 year old Trent Cole is NOT smart to pickup! Unless we are getting players like Houston and Searcy we aren't making major upgrades to our defense. That's what we need to worry about. Getting better. The Colts are a good team now. They're not winning a SB with adding only mediocre players.

Teams that sign monster free agent contracts don't win superbowls.

I think this is a great move. I don't understand why some don't like it?

-He hasn't missed a game in the last 4 years.

-Great vet and locker room presence. 

-He runs hard EVERY play.

-He finds a hole and RUNS through it with power (when is the last time we could say that about a Colts RB)?

-To those saying he's old and doesn't have it anymore: he ran for 1.1k yards in an offense that was terrible last year.

-He finds a hole and RUNS through it with power (when is the last time we could say that about a Colts RB)?

-To those saying he's old and doesn't have it anymore: he ran for 1.1k yards in an offense that was terrible last year.

I agree 100% with you. We just have some people who don't care to see things this way, rather than looking at his age. 

There's an idea that RB's are useless after age 30, when Gore has proven he is the paragon of endurance. I get that his clock is ticking rather loudly now, but 1-2 year deal to share the load with some younger guys is a fantastic idea.

Teams that sign monster free agent contracts don't win superbowls.

Says who?  I know it doesn't normally work out with big name FA, but that isn't a guarantee.  I think you don't just look at what a player did last year, but do they fit the scheme and team's personality?  Do they have a good work ethic?  Some players aren't re-signed because the team doesn't feel the player is worth that money, not necessarily something is wrong with them.

I had him him in my fantasy team and i can honestly say he wasnt over used last year. They relied on Kap doing to much by himself when they should have just pounded with gore

So did I. I was incredibly frustrated watching SF's offense as a fantasy football fan. They relied on CK WAY too much. Plus, I'm not a huge CK fan.

Says who? I know it doesn't normally work out with big name FA, but that isn't a guarantee. I think you don't just look at what a player did last year, but do they fit the scheme and team's personality? Do they have a good work ethic? Some players aren't re-signed because the team doesn't feel the player is worth that money, not necessarily something is wrong with them.

Not worth the money is exactly right.

Thats rigjht colts fans who don't want him. I do not think we have 1000 yards combined in 2 years.

This is a bad argument. 1000 yard rushers can have horrible efficiency. Trent Richardson almost had 1,000 yards his rookie season...while averaging 3.6 yards a carry. 

Efficiency is huge. Gore is a great guy and has been as durable as any RB. I think he's lost a step though(as expected from a 31 year old back) and that we can be as or more productive by drafting a back like coleman or abdullah in the 2nd-3rd round and keeping Boom on and resigning Bradshaw if he'll come back for cheap(he was only $800k last year).

I think Gore could work here, I just wasn't expecting the price tag. I'd rather go cheap(draft) or broke(pipe dream-trade for AP who restructures for 10 or 11 over 2-3 years). AP doesn't look like it's happening as I'm guessing the Vikes are asking for too much, want to retain him, and have finally calmed him down a bit on leaving. 

Make no mistake, Gore would do fine here and would be a decent pickup. It's just not a long term solution, in my opinion, and would still leave questions at the RB position to address.

So players like Frank Gore and Trent Cole are worth a contract?  Not saying they wont be good, just like Mike Adams was old when we signed him and he had a great year, but it's a rare occasion just like hoping every big $ FA will prove to be worth every penny.  One thing is for sure, a team doesn't become great with average signings/draft picks

I'm upset because it is a big deal.  Why pay mediocre players a decent salary to do mediocre things?  I would much rather overpay GREAT players to get good results!  Soon to be 32 year old Frank Gore and 32 year old Trent Cole is NOT smart to pickup!  Unless we are getting players like Houston and Searcy we aren't making major upgrades to our defense.  That's what we need to worry about.  Getting better.  The Colts are a good team now.  They're not winning a SB with adding only mediocre players. 

If Gore and Cole are considered mediocre, I would gladly take them based on their track record compared to what Ryan overpaid for Walden, Landry and the other scrubs he got from his free agent binge that year.

Great post and fully agree.