Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign RB Frank Gore (update)

RealityIsLuck

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@RavensInsider: Frank Gore 3-yr deal $12 million, $6.5M gteed, salaries $1M, $1M, $3.5M; roster bonuses $3.5M 2015, $3M 2016 gtd for skill, inj. at signing

Sounds like a $4.5m cap hit in 2015 and 2016, and a $3m cap hit in 2017, with no dead money in 2017 should he be released.

SF fan here...I admit to being a big Gore fan, but I think you'll really appreciate him.  The common thinking is that 31 years old is too old for an NFL RB, but Gore's style is and always has been patience and vision...he'll wait for blockers to set up and then bursts through even the tiniest of holes.  He doesn't rely on overt speed like Spiller, or brute force like Lynch.  He just picks his opportunities and exploits them like no one I have seen in 45+ years.  His style will keep him relevant and productive for awhile, barring injury.

The downside to Gore's style is that when the line is not blocking well, he's not going to outrun the defense to the corner, nor is he going to move a pile.  He tends simply to aim for a gap and dive through it.  So, no Barry Sanders like highlight reels, or Marshawn style feats of strength...just a quick 1 to 3 yards.  This past year the 49ers saw a lot of that as the o-line was in disarray all year....it wasn't until the end of the season that we were relatively healthy..and you saw then what Gore can still do.  With a solid line, he blows through the hole quickly, and gets very good yardage.

An under-appreciated aspect of Gore's game is his knowledge.  He's not articulate, but many players who have played with him call him the smartest player they have played with.  He's frequently described as another coach on the field.  He knows everyone's assignments, and his blitz pick ups are legendary.  His down field blocking is no less impactful.  You can go back and see some of Kaepernick's best runs, and leading the way is Gore blowing up a linebacker.

In short, Gore is perhaps the most loved 49er over the past 10 years aside, and for good reason.  A total  pro who knowledgeable fans just love.  I hope he takes you guys to the Superbowl.

SF fan here...I admit to being a big Gore fan, but I think you'll really appreciate him.  The common thinking is that 31 years old is too old for an NFL RB, but Gore's style is and always has been patience and vision...he'll wait for blockers to set up and then bursts through even the tiniest of holes.  He doesn't rely on overt speed like Spiller, or brute force like Lynch.  He just picks his opportunities and exploits them like no one I have seen in 45+ years.  His style will keep him relevant and productive for awhile, barring injury.

The downside to Gore's style is that when the line is not blocking well, he's not going to outrun the defense to the corner, nor is he going to move a pile.  He tends simply to aim for a gap and dive through it.  So, no Barry Sanders like highlight reels, or Marshawn style feats of strength...just a quick 1 to 3 yards.  This past year the 49ers saw a lot of that as the o-line was in disarray all year....it wasn't until the end of the season that we were relatively healthy..and you saw then what Gore can still do.  With a solid line, he blows through the hole quickly, and gets very good yardage.

An under-appreciated aspect of Gore's game is his knowledge.  He's not articulate, but many players who have played with him call him the smartest player they have played with.  He's frequently described as another coach on the field.  He knows everyone's assignments, and his blitz pick ups are legendary.  His down field blocking is no less impactful.  You can go back and see some of Kaepernick's best runs, and leading the way is Gore blowing up a linebacker.

In short, Gore is perhaps the most loved 49er over the past 10 years aside, and for good reason.  A total  pro who knowledgeable fans just love.  I hope he takes you guys to the Superbowl.

Fantastic write-up! Perhaps Naysayers Colt fans (not me) will get the idea he's a complete back and stop the crying towel over his age. You say great Blitz blocker; that is something to see. I have not seen that since Sweetness Peyton was on the Bears.

Don't know if this will work but there is a .gif on the internet of picking up Lance Briggs on a blitz.  Pretty classic Gore.  If the link I post doesn't work, just google Gore blows up lance briggs.  We got spoiled with Gore in the backfield.   

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1310569/footballgore.gif

That's cool and everything, but that's really old. I could show you Edgerrin picking up a blitz like that, but it would be from 2004...

That's cool and everything, but that's really old. I could show you Edgerrin picking up a blitz like that, but it would be from 2004...

You say that like somehow Gore must lose his ability to block with age...not sure I understand that argument.  But, it's not that old...2012.   If I knew how to create .gifs I could show you a lot more.  Gore does this on a regular basis.  Take a look at the first two .gifs on this site:

http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/49ers-o-line-and-frank-gore-integral-in-kaepernick-big-day-green-bay-packers/

You can see more examples of Gore's downfield blocking and blitz pickup.  The guy has epic blocks almost every game.

You say that like somehow Gore must lose his ability to block with age...not sure I understand that argument.  But, it's not that old...2012.   If I knew how to create .gifs I could show you a lot more.  Gore does this on a regular basis.  Take a look at the first two .gifs on this site:

http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/49ers-o-line-and-frank-gore-integral-in-kaepernick-big-day-green-bay-packers/

You can see more examples of Gore's downfield blocking and blitz pickup.  The guy has epic blocks almost every game.

Oh yeah, I'm not downplaying his ability to block. Just saying, that was Briggs and Urlacher in that clip. 

A very good signing, with Andre Johnson and Frank Gore. These signing give the Colts some time to start building through the draft. Without no drop off in production. Matter of fact production should get better in a hurry. Andre will stop teams from double teaming Hilton. Also bringing Andre in gives D. Carter and Moncrief time to grow. Is this the year the Colts draft the offensive Right Tackle. Or is this the year they draft the all important Nose Tackle? Day one I like what I am seeing. The large gap between the Colts and New England is starting to close.

Another thing to consider with Gore is that he has never played in the NFL where he was NOT the focal point of every defense.  The 49ers passing offense has been amongst the worst in the league going all the way back until Alex Smith's second year with Norv Turner.  Teams just loaded the box to stop Gore challenging first Alex Smith and then CK to beat them by passing.  

Gore has never had the benefit of working in an offense where the QB has to be respected for their passing ability.  With Luck at QB, defenses should not be able to focus on Gore.  it will be interesting to see what he can do

I still think we are going to draft a young running back as well.  I think Ameer Abdullah would do well in this scheme(got clean up the fumbles!) playing along side Frank Gore.  Wouldn't it be crazy if we picked up Duke Johnson to play along side Frank Gore! Of course I'm still on the Tevin Coleman train as well.  I have high doubts we'll do it, but I think Todd Gurley playing along with Frank Gore would be a killer tandem.  Just sitting here thinking of all the possibilities!

I still think we are going to draft a young running back as well.  I think Ameer Abdullah would do well in this scheme(got clean up the fumbles!) playing along side Frank Gore.  Wouldn't it be crazy if we picked up Duke Johnson to play along side Frank Gore! Of course I'm still on the Tevin Coleman train as well.  I have high doubts we'll do it, but I think Todd Gurley playing along with Frank Gore would be a killer tandem.  Just sitting here thinking of all the possibilities!

I think that would be a wise approach. I think Gore can teach any good back to be better.  

With the 49ers, Gore has been backed up by Kendall Hunter.  Hunter came in primarily as a sweep/one cut player who ran outside the tackles.  Good explosion on the cut, not very good at following blockers.  With a 12-18 mos, Hunter started showing the patience of letting blockers set up for him and he began looking a lot like Gore running between the tackles.  Unfortunately Hunter blew his knee out so it's unknown what he retained, but you could clearly see Gore's influence on Hunter's approach to running.  Big difference. 

I think for many young RBs, the game moves too quickly, and they just run as hard as they can without regard for where their blockers are.  Carlos Hyde for the 49ers is that way.  They're missing out on long runs by not letting their blockers set up and then cutting off of their blocks.  Gore is a master at it and can mentor a young back to maximize opportunities.