Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign RB Frank Gore (update)

RealityIsLuck

So players like Frank Gore and Trent Cole are worth a contract? Not saying they wont be good, just like Mike Adams was old when we signed him and he had a great year, but it's a rare occasion just like hoping every big $ FA will prove to be worth every penny. One thing is for sure, a team doesn't become great with average signings/draft picks

If you think gore is average, I don't know what to tell you. a

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a bad argument. 1000 yard rushers can have horrible efficiency. Trent Richardson almost had 1,000 yards his rookie season...while averaging 3.6 yards a carry. 

Efficiency is huge. Gore is a great guy and has been as durable as any RB. I think he's lost a step though(as expected from a 31 year old back) and that we can be as or more productive by drafting a back like coleman or abdullah in the 2nd-3rd round and keeping Boom on and resigning Bradshaw if he'll come back for cheap(he was only $800k last year).

I think Gore could work here, I just wasn't expecting the price tag. I'd rather go cheap(draft) or broke(pipe dream-trade for AP who restructures for 10 or 11 over 2-3 years). AP doesn't look like it's happening as I'm guessing the Vikes are asking for too much, want to retain him, and have finally calmed him down a bit on leaving. 

Make no mistake, Gore would do fine here and would be a decent pickup. It's just not a long term solution, in my opinion, and would still leave questions at the RB position to address.

Trent was with the Browns that year, not with the Colts. 2 years would be about right if we get Gore to help Boom and if we draft a back.

Teams that sign monster free agent contracts don't win superbowls.

Yes and no. Patriots for example, Browner, Blount, and Revis signing. Won Super Bowl. But yeah, teams like the Jags or Raiders sign a lot of monster free agent contracts and don't go anywhere. I feel like the Colts need a couple monsters from FA though.

Yes and no. Patriots for example, Browner, Blount, and Revis signing. Won Super Bowl. But yeah, teams like the Jags or Raiders sign a lot of monster free agent contracts and don't go anywhere. I feel like the Colts need a couple monsters from FA though.

none of the contracts the pats signed were monster deals

This is honestly a bit frustrating. I thought for sure Grigson was going to get us an elite RB.

Gore is going be 32 next season I don't think that qualifies him as an elite running back in 2015 maybe we can land a 33 year old WR to go with him

I think Helu and Stevie Johnson make more sense both younger guys. Helu might be the best screen back in the league with our O Line a screen could come in handy.

We will get a RB in the draft it isn't smart to pay big bucks at that position.

Gore will not be expected to carry a full load and he's still got enough left in the tank to give Indy 2 good years.  Rarely would you consider signing a back over 30 like this but he is the exception.  Like the move.

He's got one year before he tears his Achilles or has an ACL, it's just the way of a 30 year old Running back.  Do you think he would sign for 1 year only?  or is he looking for the 3 year deal like Philly offered?

the question now is, if we sign gore, do we bring back bradshaw. They would make a great 1, 2, punch with a proven boom herron behind them.

They would make an amazing 1-2 punch. They're two of the hardest runners in the game and they've got heart like Shane Falco. I'd love it if Bradshaw could be relied on.

He's got one year before he tears his Achilles or has an ACL, it's just the way of a 30 year old Running back.  Do you think he would sign for 1 year only?  or is he looking for the 3 year deal like Philly offered?

I  don't know how old you are but I'm almost 29 and I've ran 10 miles a day for the past 5 years, and I've not seen one bit of research that suggests once you hit 30+ you are guaranteed a Achilles and an ACL tear.

Trent was with the Browns that year, not with the Colts. 2 years would be about right if we get Gore to help Boom and if we draft a back.

My point was that having a 1k yard rusher is a bad metric to judge talent or achievement. It doesn't matter if you get 1k yards while being inefficient. There have been plenty of successful RBbCs in the league.

I read back over your original statement again and now I am just confused.

Jcolt72, on 09 Mar 2015 - 7:29 PM, said:

snapback.png

Thats rigjht colts fans who don't want him. I do not think we have 1000 yards combined in 2 years.

Did you mean total yards rushing or a single rusher? 

No I wasn't. Revis played for 16 million the year before Long term deals with huge guarantees is a monster deal. Suh got a monster deal

He was one of the highest paid defensive players in the nfl.

I wouldn't offer him more than 2.  Grigson would like to give him a 1-yr but may meet him halfway with a 2-yr deal.  I wouldn't pay him as much as Philly was offering though unless it's easy to fit with the cap situation next year.

A guy the colts were interested in off the board.

Update: Gore undecided http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25100239/report-frank-gore-backing-off-deal-with-eagles-colts-still-in-play

Changed thread title in view of recent developments. Just FYI

If Gore comes here, and we have a decent o-line, and we get a lot better at the edge rush (mathis back and Mr. Ball State), pick up a good safety, pick up Fairly, and track down some really good backup players at multiple positions, and grab a stud receiver....and get a stud Defensive End., and a few security DBs..whew. out of breath,   we could get to the Super Bowl.

If Gore comes here, and we have a decent o-line, and we get a lot better at the edge rush (mathis back and Mr. Ball State), pick up a good safety, pick up Fairly, and track down some really good backup players at multiple positions, and grab a stud receiver....and get a stud Defensive End., and a few security DBs..whew. out of breath,   we could get to the Super Bowl.

Is that all? Whose to say if that will be enough.

It sounds funny when you first read it, but it accurately lists what is needed. 

At least we're good to go at QB and TE.