Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Don't pop the champagne yet

12isthenew18

don't understand the hate on RJF.  He's not getting cut until preseason at the earliest imo.  Unless the Colts sign a big name FA DE/DT

One man's "hate" is another man's fair and impartial assessment. I don't think many RJF "haters" would say he's played poorly. But it's debatable whether he's been worth the $5-6 million annual salary the Colts have paid him.

And one's man's "fair and impartial assessment" is another man's "I wonder if people actually watch the games."

RJF:

• Graded out as the Colts best dlineman in 2014.
  • Has shown he is versatile enough to play the DT and DE positions equally well
  • Is just entering the prime of his NFL career
  • Is still under contract
  • Has been the primary back-up to a player that may retire

But yeah, let's cut him because THAT is the way to build a team.

One man's "hate" is another man's fair and impartial assessment. I don't think many RJF "haters" would say he's played poorly. But it's debatable whether he's been worth the $5-6 million annual salary the Colts have paid him.

And one man's alleged impartial assessment may not be accurate, or based on unrealistic expectations.

Yep. He's an alright player. The kind of guy who you call a good pick when you draft him in the 4th round. Not worth what he's being paid though. 

solid depth player, inconsistent timing off the snap, I think he has the physical tools to be a great player but hand fights to much as well I think

solid depth player, inconsistent timing off the snap, I think he has the physical tools to be a great player but hand fights to much as well I think

I think if he was ever going to be a great player, he'd have gotten there by now. He's about what? a year and half away from the end of his prime?

And one's man's "fair and impartial assessment" is another man's "I wonder if people actually watch the games."

RJF:

That's another way to put it lol

RJF:

MY GOD! I wish I never brought up the possibilty of an RJF cut in the Landry thread. Its like its taken on a life of its own.

No one necessarily hates the guy, its just that he has a contract that will allow the Colts to save money if he is cut.

My mistake was posting it as a statement when I should have used a question mark. SMH

My only dislike about RJF is that he's a backup, making starters money.

Exactly. Not sure what Grigs was thinking when he gave him that money. Maybe that he'd be a long term starter opposite Redding, but that didn't pan out. He's a great rotational guy.

I'd see if you can restructure his deal if anything.

Exactly. Not sure what Grigs was thinking when he gave him that money. Maybe that he'd be a long term starter opposite Redding, but that didn't pan out. He's a great rotational guy.

He was very likely looking a roster that had just been completely purged and was devoid of talent. The talent that was there defensively was drafted to play in a completely different defensive scheme.

Had Grigson just used the draft to build the team, we'd probably just now be building up to a playoff team. So you go through free agency which means you're going to overpay, that's just how it works.

We needed bodies at that point in time and overall Grigson did (IMO) an excellent job of doing the best with what he had.

Now, fast forward 3 years and we're in a much different position than when he took over.

I don't think RJF was signed to be a long term starter next to Redding because Redding himself will not be a long term starter.  He contemplated retirement last year so he could retire at any time.  I do, however, believe that RJF was brought in to be a long term starter on a contract that would make it easy for the Colts to release him if he doesn't live up to it or that can be renegotiated in the final year or 2, a practice that is very common in the NFL.  I expect RJF and Jones to be the starters next year unless we make a splash signing like Fairley, Suh or Knighton (which I don't expect to happen) or someone is drafted that winds up winning the starting spot in camp.

For all the people saying RJF is a backup making starter's money...does it matter at all that RJF had the 2nd highest snap count in 2014 and by a large margin?

Redding - 740 def snaps

RJF - 636

Chapman - 378

Jones - 362

Ker - 286

Hughes - 196

Quarles - 22

And despite the belief of the "he's overpaid" club, he played well far more often than he didn't.  And for those saying he's overpaid for being a rotational player...well that just simply is not true because, based on snap count, he was not a rotational player.

For all the people saying RJF is a backup making starter's money...does it matter at all that RJF had the 2nd highest snap count in 2014 and by a large margin?

Redding - 740 def snaps

RJF - 636

Chapman - 378

Jones - 362

Ker - 286

Hughes - 196

Quarles - 22

And despite the belief of the "he's overpaid" club, he played well far more often than he didn't.  And for those saying he's overpaid for being a rotational player...well that just simply is not true because, based on snap count, he was not a rotational player.

That's mostly because Jones was injured so often during the season. But it also has to do with what he did during those snaps. And he didn't have nearly the impact that Redding and Jones have when they're both on the field.