Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Maclin, Crabtree, Gordon, or Draft

Wanting and being able to get are two different things. Luck, Moncrief, Hilton, Fleener and Allen are all due contracts at the end of this coming season. Planning ahead may play a factor in what free agents we will be able to sign. I am like any fan, I would like very much to get a couple of these players but IMO there are more pressing needs to deal with. As we have learned from the past it's real nice to have a powerful offense but having a more balanced team across the board is more important. The 0-line and a couple of defensive players are more needed than more weapons for Luck.

Wanting and being able to get are two different things. Luck, Moncrief, Hilton, Fleener and Allen are all due contracts at the end of this coming season. Planning ahead may play a factor in what free agents we will be able to sign. I am like any fan, I would like very much to get a couple of these players but IMO there are more pressing needs to deal with. As we have learned from the past it's real nice to have a powerful offense but having a more balanced team across the board is more important. The 0-line and a couple of defensive players are more needed than more weapons for Luck.

Moncrief? Man, the years have flew by

Jaelen Strong in the draft, Rashad Green for example, Davante Parker in various rounds

Nicks wont be here next season more then likely

Reggie even when healthy now is clearly on his last legs,                                

Moncrief has shown a couple flashes but has not shown any consistency yet...Though I expect he will come next season.

Carter...Has not even signed with the team yet and other teams honestly might have more to offer(Seahawks for example, Maybe 49ers) then the Colts but playing with Luck would be good for him .....Tampa Bay, MINNESOTA.....His dads old team......and KC all are other teams he is expected to meet with besides the Colts

Actually, of the three mentioned, I think I would prefer Gordon.  The others will just be way too overpriced for what I think their production would be.  Gordon's contract could have behavior clauses allowing for no dead money should he not be available.

Gordon has very poor work ethic.

I know he comes with baggage but I mean he isn't Pacman Jones by any means either. I just think he's one of those guys who it takes a while to figure things out and to grow up, and I think he would grow up some with a new team and better leadership from veteran players and coaches. I don't think he's going to be available though. He's too talented and is probably the 3rd best wide out in the league.

We already have a smallish fast receiver. Bigger receivers are the way to go especially in the redzone

Lockett is pretty much the same size as Antonio Brown.

I don't think it makes sense to typecast receivers. Especially when we have TEs and backs getting into the end zone. Fleener and Allen combined for 16 TDs this year, and Doyle added two as a bonus. Bradshaw had 6 receiving TDs. You don't need to exclude a playmaker because he's not 6'2", 220 pounds. Besides, Moncrief fits that bill.

Get playmakers. Score points.

Josh Gordon is a game changer if we can get him at a descent price we would be crazy not too. He is a proven NFL WR buy low. I think our locker room would help the kid.

Josh Gordon is not a free agent til after next season and unlikely to be released.  Don't know why we have several posts about him. 

I wouldn't want him anyways.  A headcase who's also likely to cost a lot of money.  Spending a lot of money on a WR is a bad way to win a SB.

Those don't seem to work out well for us.  Logically I agree with you, but those 1 year prove it deals at WR have been 2 disappointments in a row.  

While we are 0-2 with the 1 year prove it WR, I don't think that means continuing to try is a bad idea.  Those deals don't break the bank and the upside of one working out far outweighs the negatives of 5 not working out.  Not to mention Nicks has gotten better this last month and DHB was a beast on special teams.  Still wish we could have resigned him just to be a special teams gunner.

Josh Gordon is not a free agent til after next season and unlikely to be released.  Don't know why we have several posts about him. 

I wouldn't want him anyways.  A headcase who's also likely to cost a lot of money.  Spending a lot of money on a WR is a bad way to win a SB.

I agree that spending a lot of money on FA's is not a good way to win a Super Bowl whether it is a WR or a G.

The relationship in Cleveland appears to be over. He is under contract for 1.06 M dollars next season.  I was just saying if you could get that talent on the cheap it would be good move. I am not talking about giving a much for the guy not sure anyone would at this point. If he can get it together you have a very talented player.

Personally I think a proven vet needs to be brought in If Reggie retires and Nicks moves on. We are going to need some experience at WR. We will have TY and a second yr Moncrief not much beyond that at WR. Maybe Nicks stays the coaches got a good look at him.  

We do have Lenz and Lankford plus Whalen on the PS but I think another guy with some experience would be helpful.

We already have a smallish fast receiver. Bigger receivers are the way to go especially in the redzone

The colts need an inside receiver who can get open on short routes. TY why can, but the number of times the team can use him that way is limited.

NO....   Play Moncrief...     

and draft another "FAST" WR in the mid rounds... and HOPE...

And why won't this staff give Langford a shot?  Is he hurt for ....    He is small but he looked GREAT in pre season practice.     Just a thought.

Would you be interested in any of those three come this offseason or just find another WR through the draft

Does Indy really want ANYONE on this team who kicks it with Beeb's and Johnny 8ball?    I mean seriously...  

And why won't this staff give Langford a shot?  Is he hurt for ....    He is small but he looked GREAT in pre season practice.     Just a thought.

I wouldn't mind Lenz getting some playing time I thought he looked good in the preseason as well has some size 6 feet tall and blazing speed. I am sure it will be worked out in the off season a lot will depend on if Reggie retires. He should be stronger next year the knee has more time to heal It was pretty amazing he came back like he did at his age. They say it takes 2 years to come all the way back. Obviously he doesn't have a lot of thread left on the tires.

The thing about rookie WR's is it a rarity for them to come in and take the league by storm you usually really know what you have in year 3 there are a few obvious exceptions If Reggie and Nicks go I think we need a vet to come in and help out, I would love a guy that can play on the outside give TY time in the slot. Maybe Nicks sticks or Crabby or a guy like Nate Washington I think would be a good fit provide some leadership he's been on two super bowl teams, he's a pro.

I think they are trying to put weight on him he is 5'11 and weighs 163