Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Moncrief can block….he's solid all around

feedmoncrief

He is my favorite Colts WR, not only because he has speed and he can catch but because of his willingness to play without the ball, which is blocking for his teammates and completing his routes even when he knows he is not going to get the ball. As a bonus he also seems modest and doesn't boast.

Sounds like a younger, bigger Reggie Wayne. And that's pretty great!

Sorta makes you upset that Rodgers blew it. A 3 WR set with Hilton, Rodgers, and Moncrief would have been the most ridiculous line up in the league. Man, what I wouldn't give to see how that would have played out.

That would've been crazy. Teams are already having trouble with TY and Moncrief enough as it is. Fleener was wide open the whole game today because of it. TY, Da'Rick, Mocrief, and Brazil as the 4 sick.

He is my favorite Colts WR, not only because he has speed and he can catch but because of his willingness to play without the ball, which is blocking for his teammates and completing his routes even when he knows he is not going to get the ball. As a bonus he also seems modest and doesn't boast.

The kid has heart, and a big stomach. I hope they keep of feeding him so he grows up to be big and strong. He has a great future ahead.  

Moncrief didn't surprise me at all I knew he was that fast from watching his college play his route running has also gotten better he always could catch. He can go up and get passes like Julio and Fitzgerald or burn you deep like hilton and harrison. He can also take a screen all the way like thomas.

TY has the edge because he has the experience..

Moncrief can so so much more due to his size and speed.

I think the 2 biggest concerns about Moncrief are his hands and his agility -- he looks like a track star running straight, but as teams start to prepare for him more and more, he will need to show that he can cut in and out of breaks the way TY can.  I think that is the area of his game where TY has improved the most this season is his route running and his ability to change speeds when he makes cuts (he still has some room for improvement on his route running, but I truly believe that is why TY is starting to get looked at like an elite WR in this league).  Moncrief definitely has potential to be special, but I think we need a larger sample size to see that his hands are solid and that he can do more than just run like a track star.  This is not meant to be a knock on him at all, I just think we need to see more from him before we expect a ton from him.

No doubt. Just imagine how much better he will be with experience. He could be an AJ Green type player.

He definitely has a high-ceiling and tons of potential, let's hope.

TY is a better receiver but hopefully moncrief can develop to where its like a tie for #1

Agreed.  Moncrief sure has some impressive physical tools, but we need to see more from him and give him time to develop.

Moncrief and Hilton are going to give defenses nightmares for years.

Sorta makes you upset that Rodgers blew it. A 3 WR set with Hilton, Rodgers, and Moncrief would have been the most ridiculous line up in the league. Man, what I wouldn't give to see how that would have played out.

I am not intending to be negative about Moncrief at all.  He seems like a very solid character with a great work ethic and he has blazing speed.  However, I think we need to see more from him before we start giving him huge expectations.  Rogers had a monster game the first time we really utilized him last year against Cincy and then kind of went silent until his big catch in playoffs vs. KC and now he is no longer in the league.  I think Moncrief has much less 'baggage' than Rogers, so I doubt we'll have to worry about him getting kicked off the team, but before we set lofty standards for him, it'd be nice to see him continue to excel for more than just 1 game.

I really like the fact that he is willing to block and play away from the ball, and his straight away speed and size are scary.  However, even though Reggie appears to be struggling from returning from his elbow injury a bit, I don't think it is fair to place a 20 year old rookie that had 1 excellent game above a future Hall of Famer.  If we continue to see Moncrief play like he did yesterday from here on out, and if we get Allen back and our OL doesn't fall apart, our offense is going to be very scary come playoff time.  If teams have to play with respect to Moncrief and TY's speed, our offense will open up to allow Reggie, Allen, Fleener, and maybe even Nicks and our running game to excel.  Let's hope what we saw yesterday is the real deal, but until we see him repeat performances like that a few times, I think it is unfair to him to put HOF-level expectations on him.

If we are deliberate about having Moncrief and T.Y. on the field at the same time it can really cause the Pats some havoc if we get to see them again.  They have a good secondary, but to me the flaw is they don't really have anyone that can run with burners like T.Y. and Moncrief running around at the same time.

He should have been starting weeks ago over Nicks. The coaching staff needs to take the emotions out and start benching guys that aren't playing well. Richardson, Nicks, Thornton, or Landry shouldn't be starting. That's the difference between average coaches and great ones like Belichick, Parcells. 

I think the 2 biggest concerns about Moncrief are his hands and his agility -- he looks like a track star running straight, but as teams start to prepare for him more and more, he will need to show that he can cut in and out of breaks the way TY can. I think that is the area of his game where TY has improved the most this season is his route running and his ability to change speeds when he makes cuts (he still has some room for improvement on his route running, but I truly believe that is why TY is starting to get looked at like an elite WR in this league). Moncrief definitely has potential to be special, but I think we need a larger sample size to see that his hands are solid and that he can do more than just run like a track star. This is not meant to be a knock on him at all, I just think we need to see more from him before we expect a ton from him.

He definitely has a high-ceiling and tons of potential, let's hope.

Agreed. Moncrief sure has some impressive physical tools, but we need to see more from him and give him time to develop.

I am not intending to be negative about Moncrief at all. He seems like a very solid character with a great work ethic and he has blazing speed. However, I think we need to see more from him before we start giving him huge expectations. Rogers had a monster game the first time we really utilized him last year against Cincy and then kind of went silent until his big catch in playoffs vs. KC and now he is no longer in the league. I think Moncrief has much less 'baggage' than Rogers, so I doubt we'll have to worry about him getting kicked off the team, but before we set lofty standards for him, it'd be nice to see him continue to excel for more than just 1 game.

I really like the fact that he is willing to block and play away from the ball, and his straight away speed and size are scary. However, even though Reggie appears to be struggling from returning from his elbow injury a bit, I don't think it is fair to place a 20 year old rookie that had 1 excellent game above a future Hall of Famer. If we continue to see Moncrief play like he did yesterday from here on out, and if we get Allen back and our OL doesn't fall apart, our offense is going to be very scary come playoff time. If teams have to play with respect to Moncrief and TY's speed, our offense will open up to allow Reggie, Allen, Fleener, and maybe even Nicks and our running game to excel. Let's hope what we saw yesterday is the real deal, but until we see him repeat performances like that a few times, I think it is unfair to him to put HOF-level expectations on him.

accept moncrief has had two big games.one versus steelers and the redskins he would have more if he was targeted just as much in other games. Rogers was a bad route runner who have ran routes when the ball didn't come his way

He should have been starting weeks ago over Nicks. The coaching staff needs to take the emotions out and start benching guys that aren't playing well. Richardson, Nicks, Thornton, or Landry shouldn't be starting. That's the difference between average coaches and great ones like Belichick, Parcells. 

Now you are comparing coaches like the two Bills? C-mon, that's crazy. Both the Bills struggled when they first started just like the Colts coaches of today. Both Bills didn't become legend over night.

Does he look 6-2 220? I'm sure he is but he doesn't look that big. The only thing about the last game that took just a tiny bit of the luster off was that those big catches were primarily the result of blown coverages imo. Still he caught them. Couldn't say I'd be confident if it was DHB running free and waiting for the ball.