Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Broncos exposed -- AFC wide open (merge)

Stephen

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

steelers are back playing well browns playing well pats are good dolphins look good. It's going to be tough to get second seed

Patriots, Bills, Dolphins, Bengals, Steelers, Browns, Broncos and Chiefs all have equal or better records than the Colts right now. The AFC is truly wide open.

Lots of good teams right now. Miami and Pitt look great. KC will be tough. Then you have all the division leaders. It will be tight down to the end but yesterday's game did maybe knock the Broncos down a peg in terms of perception but they will be right there at the end. The number one seed will be interesting. I hope the Pats can hang on and keep it this year and not lose it like they did last year.

I'm still not sold on Pittsburgh. They had two good weeks against the Colts and Ravens depleted secondary. The Ravens were hammering them

In the first quarter until Tallifero and Flacco's ridiculous turnovers. Big Ben is playing well, and that Brown kid is the real deal, but I don't thing the Bengals or Steelers will go far in the playoffs.

So by your logic...the Colts were exposed last week, New England was exposed vs the Chiefs, Dallas vs Washington, San Diego vs Miami...my point is, every team has a bad game during the year, doesn't mean they were "exposed"

"Exposed" is the most overused and incorrectly used term...probably worse than "bust." They got beat down.  that's what everyone really means.  In a rematch, the outcome would not be the same.  It never is, so they were never really "exposed."  If they were truly exposed, then the blue print would work almost every time, and well, they've only lost 2 games.

So by your logic...the Colts were exposed last week, New England was exposed vs the Chiefs, Dallas vs Washington, San Diego vs Miami...my point is, every team has a bad game during the year, doesn't mean they were "exposed"

No. I think Denver by far was the most complete team in football half way though. Top 10 O, top 10 D. Only loss was in overtime to Seattle where the luck of a coin flip helped decide the game.

I think had Denver just lost yesterday that would be one thing but they were demolished. Brings them back to everyone's level in my mind. 

"Exposed" is the most overused and incorrectly used term...probably worse than "bust." They got beat down.  that's what everyone really means.  In a rematch, the outcome would not be the same.  It never is, so they were never really "exposed."  If they were truly exposed, then the blue print would work almost every time, and well, they've only lost 2 games.

You are right. It is overused and perhaps misapplied. I really thought the Pats would win yesterday but I never thought the game would look like that. Denver got rolled and got away from them early. I do agree with the OP that gives the rest of the AFC teams a boost in knowing that Denver can be had but honestly, Foxboro has never been easy for Manning so hard to really say one way or the other. But they really have to fix their STs and run game. Those two areas were glaring yesterday and Del Rio's game plan was a thud as well.

It is another case of "were the Seahawks 35 pts better than the Broncos and were the Patriots 22 pts better than the Broncos" question.

The answer is normally no because when the Broncos play the same opponent later, when they don't shoot themselves in the foot, the game is closer like the Seahawks-Broncos game. The issue, like the SB, yesterday, when the Broncos and Peyton flip field position with turnovers, the Broncos' D and team does not have the character and schemes to make the stops they need.

Besides, SB champs that run the table on their last 8 games, those are few and far between. There will always be bumps in the road, whether it is the Pats or Broncos.

But if you were to ask me now, I am inclined to think Brady and the Pats wins a 4th SB this year if he ends up with HFA, as much as I hate to say it.

You are right. It is overused and perhaps misapplied. I really thought the Pats would win yesterday but I never thought the game would look like that. Denver got rolled and got away from them early. I do agree with the OP that gives the rest of the AFC teams a boost in knowing that Denver can be had but honestly, Foxboro has never been easy for Manning so hard to really say one way or the other. But they really have to fix their STs and run game. Those two areas were glaring yesterday and Del Rio's game plan was a thud as well.

Those games happen from time to time, and it happens to every team once a season or at least every other season.  There's no doubt that it evens out hte playing field however as far as the AFC playoff picture goes, so in that regard, the OP is correct.  Del Rio's game plan was exacerbated by poor execution, I think.  Brady was just throwing to wide open receivers most the time (and he was spotting the ball with great accuracy to boot).  Manning just looked out of sorts at times.  The first interception was just an uncharacteristic throw by Manning.  Completely missed the LB in coverage.

The Seahawks showed everyone how to beat Denver last year. It was the same way you beat the '07 Patriots, the '04 Colts, etc-etc. You have to be physical with those teams, take some chances, and be aggressive. Sit back and they'll kill you. If you're too aggressive, they'll kill you. It's finding the right mix and keeping them off balance. 

Knowing what you should do is one thing; actually doing it, and executing it, is another. 

We already knew Denver was beatable....it was about playing a great game to do it....and NE did just that. Complete game on both sides of the ball...AND special teams. Denvers special teams is their achillis heel imo. No faith in their kicking game at all. Not only changed score but field position a couple times and giving up 7...can't do that against really good teams....and untimely turnovers. Poorest game I've seen them play in a long time...a lot of that was forced by NE and some was just bad play on their part. HFA is always huge...but especially for Peyton who calls plays etc at the line....take that away from him and its tough on that offense to play the same way.

Patriots, Bills, Dolphins, Bengals, Steelers, Browns, Broncos and Chiefs all have equal or better records than the Colts right now. The AFC is truly wide open.

Only 3 of those can get a better seed than the Colts, unless you see us blowing our lead. I agree that the Pats and Steelers look the most dangerous right now, but can the Broncos be that bad again? Probably not.

Wide open for sure. And for a change, perhaps the Patriots will have a tougher than usual chase to win their division.....

It's all rather exciting.

Denver wasn't exposed we were just reaffirmed what we already knew which is Denver is mentally soft. Us Broncos fans have been saying this for a while now and I don't care what type of free agents Mr . Elway brought in .. You can have all the talent in the world but if you have a soft coaching staff and a head coach with no guts then this is what happens . I'm trying to be optimistic but I don't think this team will win a Super Bowl under coach Fox. 10 days to prepare for the Patriots and this is what happend .. Pathetic . I'm going to be huge Colts & Packers fan the next two weeks because if Denver doesn't finish with a better record than NE they can kiss their dreams of a Super Bowl goodbye .

It is another case of "were the Seahawks 35 pts better than the Broncos and were the Patriots 22 pts better than the Broncos" question.

The answer is normally no because when the Broncos play the same opponent later, when they don't shoot themselves in the foot, the game is closer like the Seahawks-Broncos game. The issue, like the SB, yesterday, when the Broncos and Peyton flip field position with turnovers, the Broncos' D and team does not have the character and schemes to make the stops they need.

Besides, SB champs that run the table on their last 8 games, those are few and far between. There will always be bumps in the road, whether it is the Pats or Broncos.

But if you were to ask me now, I am inclined to think Brady and the Pats wins a 4th SB this year if he ends up with HFA, as much as I hate to say it.

wait till they go back on the road, Chad

The AFC teams have obvious issues.

Denver - who would have guessed it? You knew they were overrated when they got beat to a bloody pulp in that Super Bowl.

New England - Feels like yesterday, their offense couldn't move the ball and Brady was about to hit the retirement home. Still not sold on their defense, they have big issues stopping the run, and their offense had a field day thanks to playing an overrated Denver secondary that only looks good on paper. This isn't the Pats from 2007.

Pittsburgh - How many times do you see teams with a shaky defense, hate running the ball, and manage to actually win the Super Bowl? They remind me so much of the Saints. Once someone shuts down that one dimensional passing attack, they're screwed.

As for the Chargers, Dolphins, and Chiefs, I don't know. Miami and KC have decent defenses that will create issues later on, the Chargers aren't going anywhere.

If the Colts beat New England they control their fate in the seeding. Given their schedule, I believe they can come out with a top seed in the end.

Both Denver and New England's schedules have some tough road games. Denver peaked too early for the year and now you're seeing that. New England is peaking at the wrong time as well, this could be another 2010 all over again for them.

Denver - who would have guessed it? You knew they were overrated when they got beat to a bloody pulp in that Super Bowl.

New England - Feels like yesterday, their offense couldn't move the ball and Brady was about to hit the retirement home. Still not sold on their defense, they have big issues stopping the run, and their offense had a field day thanks to playing an overrated Denver secondary that only looks good on paper. This isn't the Pats from 2007.

Pittsburgh - How many times do you see teams with a shaky defense, hate running the ball, and manage to actually win the Super Bowl? They remind me so much of the Saints. Once someone shuts down that one dimensional passing attack, they're screwed.

As for the Chargers, Dolphins, and Chiefs, I don't know. Miami and KC have decent defenses that will create issues later on, the Chargers aren't going anywhere.

If the Colts beat New England they control their fate in the seeding. Given their schedule, I believe they can come out with a top seed in the end.

Both Denver and New England's schedules have some tough road games. Denver peaked too early for the year and now you're seeing that. New England is peaking at the wrong time as well, this could be another 2010 all over again for them.

So no one is going to the Super Bowl from the AFC...

Nobody peaks...you just play to your schedule....Lost of games left..the wind will change direction several times

Colts, Cincy, Denver and NE all could be the top seed. In bizzaro world...Miami could still be the too seed

every week we make snap judgements we change after next Sunday

I;m sure I'll feel the same way I do now about NE after next Sunday only because they have a bye

What is your assessment of the Saints?

Denver wasn't exposed we were just reaffirmed what we already knew which is Denver is mentally soft. Us Broncos fans have been saying this for a while now and I don't care what type of free agents Mr . Elway brought in .. You can have all the talent in the world but if you have a soft coaching staff and a head coach with no guts then this is what happens . I'm trying to be optimistic but I don't think this team will win a Super Bowl under coach Fox. 10 days to prepare for the Patriots and this is what happend .. Pathetic . I'm going to be huge Colts & Packers fan the next two weeks because if Denver doesn't finish with a better record than NE they can kiss their dreams of a Super Bowl goodbye .

I forget Denver had 10 days to prepare for the Pats. That is amazing given how they performed on the field ...

I'm still not sold on Pittsburgh. They had two good weeks against the Colts and Ravens depleted secondary. The Ravens were hammering them

In the first quarter until Tallifero and Flacco's ridiculous turnovers. Big Ben is playing well, and that Brown kid is the real deal, but I don't thing the Bengals or Steelers will go far in the playoffs.

Pittsburgh has a bad defense, and lost in the mix when they put up stats on the Colts is that they got shredded to the tune of 400 yards by Andrew Luck. Old age will catch up with them plus they still have to play the Bengals twice... so I think the AFC North will be fun to watch as the season winds down. Cincy should win. As of now I would almost pick KC as my dark horse, but they have a tough schedule to end the year. I'm not sold on Miami so Buffalo it is.

There isn't a clear frontrunner in 2014. Arizona is the best team in the league, record wise, and they got "exposed" by....wait for it.....the Broncos. 

In all fairness, they were on their third string QB.

NE is the most complete team in the NFL. Again. They really have no weak link apart from a mediocre at best run game. When your QB is one of the best to ever play, has good weapons, and a line that gives him all day the run game is irrelevant. They should pass first anyway until you can stop it. Most teams can't. Most teams are also too stupid/unable to pressure the QB by any means necessary.

People laud Denver as a "great" team....they're great in the sense that ours were for all those years. Bad coaching, bad special teams, bad coverage when the pass rush can't get there and no run game to speak of most of the time. (Excluding Edgerrin James/Addai's rookie year) That's not a great team. Better than most by virtue of their passing offense and run defense, but nothing special. Seattle showed it as did NE. Those are some balanced teams...though I'm not sure wth is up with Seattle this year.

Honestly, I think Denver was a better team last season. They had a kicker who could actually kick field goals and a very good RB with Moreno who could usually move the ball. Granted Denver has acquired some names on defense, but it doesn't mean much because Del Rio doesn't know how to utilize them.  I'd take a reliable kicker and Moreno back over the Sanders and Ware pickups.

Sad that for all their faults this is still the best/second best team Manning has had in his career. All that money spent, too...