Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Everything Trent Richardson [Merge]

LordHelpOurColts

Remember the tale of Jerry Hughes. I remember coming on here and the pounding he took was like what Richardson takes. A bust, only playing because Polian drafted him, won't admit mistakes, blah...blah...blah. How does he look now?

Richardson hasn't looked good. But at the same time, if he was running behind the Patriots OLine against us, he would have had 4 TDs. I agree he hesitates too much when he should just attack the line of scrimmage. But look at our loses and NONE of our running backs have done anything. We still need better run blocking. And Richardson has to be more decisive. But lets not forget he is a very talented YOUNG player. Don't want to throw him to the dumpster yet. I get a feeling he will emerge somewhere else and be quite good.

So you think once Trent hits his 3rd NFL team he will suddenly know how to find the hole, stop dancing, and actually be able to move his feet faster then my arthritic grandmother ?

This is his second season in this system and he has not improved. Not even slightly.

He was a talented young player in college, so far he has shown no potential in the NFL.

I don't think you should hold onto a player who isn't working out of fear that he may be good for someone else, not enough roster spots for nonsense like that. You find players that work in your system and disregard any who don't.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you think once Trent hits his 3rd NFL team he will suddenly know how to find the hole, stop dancing, and actually be able to move his feet faster then my arthritic grandmother ?

This is his second season in this system and he has not improved. Not even slightly.

He was a talented young player in college, so far he has shown no potential in the NFL.

I don't think you should hold onto a player who isn't working out of fear that he may be good for someone else, not enough roster spots for nonsense like that. You find players that work in your system and disregard any who don't.

What I am suggesting is that Richardsons style is such that he needs more support in run blocking from his offensive line.  Let's be honest, our RBs haven't been tearing up the league. I like what Boom did last week, but that was not against a very good defense.  In our loses, none of our RBs have done anything.   There seems to be this idea that every other RB we have is very good and Richardson is bad.  Actually, none of them have been consistently good.  The jury is out on Boom because he hasn't played enough.  I don't think cutting Richardson fixes the problem.  We still will not be able to run against playoff defenses until we run block better.  If we improve the line, lets see what Richardson can do.  I think cutting him is putting too much of the blame for lack for running on one person when it is it the line, the TE, and the RB that all need to get their job done.

What I am suggesting is that Richardsons style is such that he needs more support in run blocking from his offensive line.  Let's be honest, our RBs haven't been tearing up the league. I like what Boom did last week, but that was not against a very good defense.  In our loses, none of our RBs have done anything.   There seems to be this idea that every other RB we have is very good and Richardson is bad.  Actually, none of them have been consistently good.  The jury is out on Boom because he hasn't played enough.  I don't think cutting Richardson fixes the problem.  We still will not be able to run against playoff defenses until we run block better.  If we improve the line, lets see what Richardson can do.  I think cutting him is putting too much of the blame for lack for running on one person when it is it the line, the TE, and the RB that all need to get their job done.

Good god, just stop. It's ok to admit you were wrong.

Guys, Trent is still learning the playbook. He's going to be the next Beast Mode for us years to come.

:(

/sarcasm

I remember people saying that. Sadly I was one of them...

But he sucks. One of the worst running backs I've ever seen. Heck I think even Kenton Keith averaged more than 1.5 ypc during some games. And Keith was awful too.

I believe he can do it if he sees on film that Jabal Sheard and Paul Kruger rush up field often.....Neither have been very good against the run. Often I see them rushing upfield just enough to leave big holes for a patient running back to run right through on a delayed handoff, Of course as much as I would love to see Richardson and Herron run take advantage of the holes I am seeing watching Cleveland on the All 22 I think it could be a better idea to try and jump on them early through the air and make them play catch up thereby making there running game less of a factor. Kirksey and Robertson have also not been very good at all against the run and they have logged 520(Kirksey) and 432(Robertson) defensive snaps. The Browns really miss Dansby and Phil Taylor

What I am suggesting is that Richardsons style is such that he needs more support in run blocking from his offensive line. Let's be honest, our RBs haven't been tearing up the league. I like what Boom did last week, but that was not against a very good defense. In our loses, none of our RBs have done anything. There seems to be this idea that every other RB we have is very good and Richardson is bad. Actually, none of them have been consistently good. The jury is out on Boom because he hasn't played enough. I don't think cutting Richardson fixes the problem. We still will not be able to run against playoff defenses until we run block better. If we improve the line, lets see what Richardson can do. I think cutting him is putting too much of the blame for lack for running on one person when it is it the line, the TE, and the RB that all need to get their job done.

Trent averaged 1.5 ypc against that same "not very good defense".

Bradshaw was a solid back who was past his prime. He never was a star, he was just solid. He outperformed Trent pretty much every game.

Trent is on borrowed time, I hope he invested his money because he will never see the type of payday he got on his rookie contract again.

I don't think there are any GM's looking at Trent and thinking that in the right system he would produce for them. He hasn't even had a big game, ever. No huge plays. There is no indication that he will ever be more then what he has been so far, no glimpse of potential. All he does well is block, his catching isn't even that impressive, its OK, and when compared to his running it seems real good, but its not like he tears it up and breaks big ones when he catches the ball.

I'm going to be optimistic. Maybe he turns a corner this week. I mean, maybe it finally clicks. Maybe he goes off, and turns into the monster he was with Alabama. I still think it is painfully obvious that he is getting the ball on some run plays.

Don't slaughter me for trying to have some hope! :hide::peek:

Not true!! So do I :)

Me too.

I've been trying to not comment on this....I was one of the optimistic ones hoping that this season he would turn it around. He's had a few good runs, and I believe he is still a great receiving back and blocker. Boom has outplayed him yardage wise so far, that's a fact. Boom is a slasher that makes something out of nothing with his speed, by nothing I mean the horrible job our O-line does at run blocking. T-Rich is not a slasher, and needs to have a good Blocking O line to do his thing, like in Alabama. Maybe someday our line will provide that, maybe not? If he does go to another team maybe he will succeed with a better line IDK. I'm not like a lot of people on this thread who seem to get off on bashing him and seem to enjoy watching him fail, saying haha I told you so, or he sucks, or I wish I could pull up old conversations, bla blah blah.....I'm still pulling for this young man to turn it around and maybe start producing more, hopefully it's not too late.

Here's the link to NFL.com showing the results from the 2014 draft, where Cleveland got our 1st round pick for TRich. If I'm not mistaken we originally had the #26 pick before the Browns packaged it and moved up for Manziel at #22. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft

Rather than reliving any of the beaten-to-death reasons why the deal has been less than we've all hoped....I'll just ask this....

With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight....which rookie selected beyond the #26 spot would you have taken at #26 had the TRich trade not happened?

It's usually 2-3 years before these kids pan out, but I'm just interested in reading some of the "what ifs?"

And I'll get the obvious wise crack response out of the way....."all of them" <<crowd laughter>>>

Seriously....who would you have taken at #26?

Remember the tale of Jerry Hughes. I remember coming on here and the pounding he took was like what Richardson takes.  A bust, only playing because Polian drafted him, won't admit mistakes, blah...blah...blah. How does he look now?

Richardson hasn't looked good.  But at the same time, if he was running behind the Patriots OLine against us, he would have had 4 TDs.   I agree he hesitates too much when he should just attack the line of scrimmage. But look at our loses and NONE of our running backs have done anything.  We still need better run blocking.  And Richardson has to be more decisive.  But lets not forget he is a very talented YOUNG player.  Don't want to throw him to the dumpster yet.  I get a feeling he will emerge somewhere else and be quite good.

He wont start playing good for another team because he's not a very talented player, that is the problem he's slow has no vision, has no burst and no ability to move laterally, that's as untalented as a running back can be, when he's done holding back the Colts, he'll be out of the league.

Me too.

I've been trying to not comment on this....I was one of the optimistic ones hoping that this season he would turn it around. He's had a few good runs, and I believe he is still a great receiving back and blocker. Boom has outplayed him yardage wise so far, that's a fact. Boom is a slasher that makes something out of nothing with his speed, by nothing I mean the horrible job our O-line does at run blocking. T-Rich is not a slasher, and needs to have a good Blocking O line to do his thing, like in Alabama. Maybe someday our line will provide that, maybe not? If he does go to another team maybe he will succeed with a better line IDK. I'm not like a lot of people on this thread who seem to get off on bashing him and seem to enjoy watching him fail, saying haha I told you so, or he sucks, or I wish I could pull up old conversations, bla blah blah.....I'm still pulling for this young man to turn it around and maybe start producing more, hopefully it's not too late.

It's a love hate relationship w/ me on this thread.  I hate repeating myself, but I will keep defending him because I'm a loyal fan!  Trent NEEDS a good interior line to perform well.  If other fans think our line is fine then they would realize all of Herron's and Bradshaw's good runs never came in between the guards and center.  Trent simply isn't fast enough to turn on the jets and get to the outside.  He needs a good line up the middle to do their jobs.  Ironically enough that is where our young guys are.  Im not bashing them either.  They do a decent job, for how young they are.  Although I think we need to replace Thornton, but Harrison and Mewhort will be very good in a few years.  I forgot who posted it, but if Trent ran behind NE's line he would look like good.  He is still very young also, and I'm really afraid if he gets let go, he will go to a team with a good line and show people what's up, but that wont matter to any1 then...  I just don't understand the people who enjoy watching him fail either.  Is it a satisfaction seeing somebody not do good or because his current stats back up their hypothesis?  If so become a sports writer or a scientist!!  If you're a fan of the Colts you should want to see anybody who puts that horseshoe on succeed.  It's all just a little bizarre to me.

But to tell you how much I am rooting for him.  I bought his jersey towards the end of last year during his struggles.  It was like a $120 jersey.  On Black Friday this past week I went to the same store (MC Sports), they had the last 3 Richardson jersey's on clearance (same jersey).  From the same order they had when I first bought mine last year.  The jersey's were on sale for $9.95 a piece.  I just about had a stroke in the middle of the store.  I said to myself that is disrespectful!! I grabbed the remaining jerseys and waited in line for 45 mins so I can give them out for Christmas presents. 

The only jersey left in the store is #12, and I asked the cashier why?  He replied because that's the only jersey that sells.  Which leads me to my final thought.  If you call yourself a fan, but only like Andrew Luck, or like him because he is popular, then are you a true fan?  This same store had former Colts jerseys merely a few months ago of Austin Collie, Dallas Clark, and Pierre Garcon, that were in stock since these players left.  It's not like nobody ever shops there.  For sakes, the store is in the Glenbrook Mall in Ft. Wayne (which is the 2nd biggest city in Indiana), and that mall is the main shopping center in the heart of the city.  That just goes to show you how some of our fan base is filled with sorry individuals.  Sad to say but it reminds me of a lot of people on this forum...

He wont start playing good for another team because he's not a very talented player, that is the problem he's slow has no vision, has no burst and no ability to move laterally, that's as untalented as a running back can be, when he's done holding back the Colts, he'll be out of the league.

He's not talented?  Go to YouTube and watch his highlights from his days at Alabama.  Ask Crimson Tide fans, if you still think your eyes are fooling you!  Why was he heavily recruited and apart of one of the most dominating dynasties to in CFB history?

He's not talented?  Go to YouTube and watch his highlights from his days at Alabama.  Ask Crimson Tide fans, if you still think your eyes are fooling you!  Why was he heavily recruited and apart of one of the most dominating dynasties to in CFB history?

You can't convince him(Jackcolt), he is a Trent hater..

Nobody wants the guy who sucks jersey. You on the other hand are a true fan because you have his jersey.

I'm sure the people you give the Richardson jerseys to will be thrilled to own them ...

It doesn't make you a better fan to refuse to accept the obvious.

He's not talented? Go to YouTube and watch his highlights from his days at Alabama. Ask Crimson Tide fans, if you still think your eyes are fooling you! Why was he heavily recruited and apart of one of the most dominating dynasties to in CFB history?

Search YouTube for his NFL highlights ....

Ryan Leaf and JaMarcus Russell both have highlight videos from their college days too.

First .. why this thread AGAIN.     .. ??

Second...    Cleveland payed nearly all of T Rich's salary.         Indy got a deal.   and took it..   

How about Dawkins, Addai, JEFF GEORGE....    Gonzo?   Hughes?   WERNER?    Heck i can go back into the 80's with Colt players who were no shows as ONES. 

Dang it is not like this team lost something of irreplaceable value.   First round picks ARE NOT LOCKS.

Get over it folks...   TRich is average as the day is long..        It won't change the fact Indy will not "ACCEPT" AND CUT BAIT.

Everyone talks about how the Browns won easily, but honestly the Browns got Manziel, who doesn't seem to have an NFl future to me. It's a lose/lose.

Here's the link to NFL.com showing the results from the 2014 draft, where Cleveland got our 1st round pick for TRich. If I'm not mistaken we originally had the #26 pick before the Browns packaged it and moved up for Manziel at #22. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft

Rather than reliving any of the beaten-to-death reasons why the deal has been less than we've all hoped....I'll just ask this....

With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight....which rookie selected beyond the #26 spot would you have taken at #26 had the TRich trade not happened?

It's usually 2-3 years before these kids pan out, but I'm just interested in reading some of the "what ifs?"

And I'll get the obvious wise crack response out of the way....."all of them" <<crowd laughter>>>

Seriously....who would you have taken at #26?

Nobody wants the guy who sucks jersey. You on the other hand are a true fan because you have his jersey.

I'm sure the people you give the Richardson jerseys to will be thrilled to own them ...

It doesn't make you a better fan to refuse to accept the obvious.

The only obvious thing to me is that Trent can't display his running abilities because the interior line.  Please tell me you do see the middle of the offensive line get blown up ALL THE TIME!  I have never said, Trent was great or his YPC isn't his fault.  I like to point out to those who only look at that stat, he isn't the only problem with our run game.

Marcus Smith (Who has only played 68 snaps to this point in Philly)

Jimmie Ward(Got injured)

Jordan Matthews(Having a big rookie year, It could be argued the 2nd best rookie year at WR behind Benjamin)

Kyle Van Noy(Who has only played 9 snaps for Detroit at this point but has for tackles 1 for loss)

Fun game but back to reality

Search YouTube for his NFL highlights ....

Ryan Leaf and JaMarcus Russell both have highlight videos from their college days too.

Point taken.  I also think a lot of good QB's fail because they get drafted to a terrible team.  The truly great players can overcome that hurdle (ie Luck& Manning), but even for them it's no easy task.  The difference of being a great player in college and translating it to the NFL can be the franchise you're in though.  If the best QB gets picked first and the 4th best QB gets drafted 28th to a very good team and sits a year to mature and learn, then they have just as good of a chance to succeed (if not better) than the best QB in that draft.  Not saying he is better but if Russell Wilson went to say the Redskins and RG3 went to Seattle you think maybe their career paths would've been (maybe a little) different?  You think Wilson could lead those Redskins to a SB last season?  Meanwhile (IF) RG3 doesn't get injured again and is just a game manager like he was his rookie season, perhaps RG3 could've lead Seattle deep into the playoffs, backed by Lynch, their good WR's and stellar defense!