Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Everything Trent Richardson [Merge]

LordHelpOurColts

All I can say is, all your claims about Richardson being the worst you've ever seen just means you obviously have not seen much football at any level.

I said he was the worst at moving laterally that I have ever seen, and I stand by that, the absolute worst. I have seen lots of football on many levels. The fact that you try to defend Trent's play, tells me , that even if you have seen a lot of football you still have no understanding of football.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please enlighten us all with the special knowledge that you have that makes you disagree.

You know why I still say what I said before the season started ? Because I was right, Trent sucks. Sucked last season, sucks this season. You don't have any viable excuses so you try and act like you have some great knowledge or insight that I will never understand. Please share with the group. I'm sure Trent himself would love a new reason to excuse him from being a bust once again.

Tell it brother, Trent sucks, the only reason he is part of a  "running back by committee" or playing at all, is because of what was given up to get him, if any other back on this team was playing at the level that Trent's playing at, they would be benched or cut. Brown, Bradshaw, and now Herron (and Tipton would too) have out performed Trent. He is slow, no burst, no vision and absolutely no ability to move laterally. He should now be the #3 back on this team, if Tipton ever gets his chance he too will out perform Trent, with the rumor of Boom possible starting again this week, maybe, just maybe, the coaching staff is tired of trying to save face and are going to do what's best for this team.

He has 5 reg season games left to show life.  If he doesn't show he can provide legitimate value at the spot, he needs to go and make room for a new FA signing or draft choice.  I think enough is enough.  Keeping him on payroll just because you made a mistake is making two mistakes.  Keep in mind the Colts had Forsett and let him go.  Imagine him on our team right about now. 

He has proved he is not the back of the future.

Interesting article at NFL.com about how few "elite" 1st round picks have amounted to anything ... http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000434871/article/rgiiis-benching-highlights-failures-of-2012-draft-class

In particular, from the 2012 & 2013 draft years.

I said it much earlier in the thread, but I will say it again ... it is rather factual that a LOT of 1st round picks never amount to much. So far, the player selected with the pick the Colts gave up hasn't produced a thing. Richardson, despite how much most people seem to loathe him, is at least contributing.

I think almost everybody can agree that it was a mistake to give up the 1st rounder for Richardson, despite the fact that he is out performing the player that pick was used for, but most people's hatred of Richardson is because of the (over valued) price paid to acquire him. People need to get over the price paid and accept Richardson for what he apparently is, which is a (once promising) role player.

I said it before, as long as he can contribute to the cause, that's all that matters. To continue to bemoan the price paid, which as it turns out, as verified in the NFL.com article I cite, is really not all that much after all, well, it's just unproductive, if not now senseless.

This thread is really a dead horse being beaten to death. I propose that it is time for this thread to be un-pinned, so it can finally fade away. Colts use RB by committee and Richardson is simply one of those bodies. Now move along. :

Interesting article at NFL.com about how few "elite" 1st round picks have amounted to anything ... http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000434871/article/rgiiis-benching-highlights-failures-of-2012-draft-class

In particular, from the 2012 & 2013 draft years.

I said it much earlier in the thread, but I will say it again ... it is rather factual that a LOT of 1st round picks never amount to much. So far, the player selected with the pick the Colts gave up hasn't produced a thing. Richardson, despite how much most people seem to loathe him, is at least contributing.

I think almost everybody can agree that it was a mistake to give up the 1st rounder for Richardson, despite the fact that he is out performing the player that pick was used for, but most people's hatred of Richardson is because of the (over valued) price paid to acquire him. People need to get over the price paid and accept Richardson for what he apparently is, which is a (once promising) role player.

I said it before, as long as he can contribute to the cause, that's all that matters. To continue to bemoan the price paid, which as it turns out, as verified in the NFL.com article I cite, is really not all that much after all, well, it's just unproductive, if not now senseless.

This thread is really a dead horse being beaten to death. I propose that it is time for this thread to be un-pinned, so it can finally fade away. Colts use RB by committee and Richardson is simply one of those bodies. Now move along. :-)

Nobody is saying it's about what was given up for him. What was given up for him is the only reason he's getting a chance to play at all. He's production sucks, if he was an undrafted free agent. The only reason he is contributing the measly amount that he is contributing is because he has been allowed to play over Herron or Tipton, who are more talented, but have been riding the bench because a number one pick was not given up to give them a chance. Herron will prove that he is much better than Trent, and if Tipton gets his chance, he will prove it too, it's really wouldn't be hard to top Trent's production.

Why do people with reasonable intelligence compare Manziel's performance to Richardson's and infer that the Colts lost nothing by dealing that pick ?  There is zero chance the Cots use it on Manziel , thus you would have to have access to their draft board and compare TR to the player they would have taken in that spot. Just looking at some of the players that fell later in the 1st round ...

Deonne Buchannon 1.27 is a starting s for AZ. 

Verrett and Dennard 1.24 and 1.25 are two very good rookie CB's 

Didn't do guys like K Benjamen as I don't believe we go R in round 1. But don't forget we could have terraced up a bit as there were SIX (6) O linemen safeties and LB's taken between picks 15 and 22. 

So I think one would be better served to try to figure what theColts would have had at 1.22 instead of plugging in a flyer a team took on a rookie QB

Tell it brother

In this case its not about the player...its about the players we could have got with the pick

Of which 2/5 players taken around the 26th pick are worthless.

Gosh, y'all can't seem to get over the illusion that we gave up a STAR player for Trent, for surely, with 20/20 b.s. H

hindsight we would have hit the jackpot. <roll eyes>

This thread being pinned is utterly ridiculous and fosters pretty much nothing but *ic speculation that amounts to little more than he said she said. We get it, all you geniuses are WAY smarte than Grigson, the trade sucked, the Colts would have surely drafted a can't miss star, Richardson is worse than any pc of crap UDFA. Enough already! Mods, un-pinn this useless, player bashing thread already!

And still the great debate is "we gave up too much for him and we would be sooooooo much better with the player we could have taken with that pick."

I agree, Richardson is not what we hoped he would be. Pi am dubious about if the player we would have taken would be contributing more than Richardson. I'd say it's 65% likely that the player we drafted would not be contributing more. That whole contemplation is utterly moot, though.

We have what we have in Richardson, which is a disappointing, but able to contribute player. He's a filler and nothing more at this point. I am not impressed, but this ongoing pinned thread serves no purpose than keeping alive irrational hate on for a player that is not responsible for the price paid for him ... And yes, all the Richardson hating fans are so much smarter than Grigson.

Now in-pin this ridiculous thread!

Gosh, y'all can't seem to get over the illusion that we gave up a STAR player for Trent, for surely, with 20/20 b.s. H

This thread being pinned is utterly ridiculous and fosters pretty much nothing but *ic speculation that amounts to little more than he said she said. We get it, all you geniuses are WAY smarte than Grigson, the trade sucked, the Colts would have surely drafted a can't miss star, Richardson is worse than any pc of crap UDFA. Enough already! Mods, un-pinn this useless, player bashing thread already!

The only really ridiculous thing in this thread was someone saying that a first round draft pick is more often than not worthless. Then he backed that up with an article from someone probably making 15K a year saying the 1st round in the 2012 and 2013 drafts were weak. To be honest it's the first time I've ever seen anyone say that it's nothing to urinate away a 1st round pick as most of them amount to nothing. No one is saying that the Colts for sure would have drafted a stud . Most were just saying that this turned out to be a very bad deal. 

The only really ridiculous thing in this thread was someone saying that a first round draft pick is more often than not worthless. Then he backed that up with an article from someone probably making 15K a year saying the 1st round in the 2012 and 2013 drafts were weak. To be honest it's the first time I've ever seen anyone say that it's nothing to urinate away a 1st round pick as most of them amount to nothing. No one is saying that the Colts for sure would have drafted a stud . Most were just saying that this turned out to be a very bad deal.

Do the analysis genius, over the past 20 years, out of X 1st round players chosen, after 5 years how many of those picks are valuable contributors? Answer = minority! If you can prove otherwise, take your best shot!

Do the analysis genius, over the past 20 years, out of X 1st round players chosen, after 5 years how many of those picks are valuable contributors? Answer = minority! 

Even if we accept this as truth (which it isn't) the chance of hitting on a good player vs a bust is better than being stuck with one of the worst runners in NFL history. 

Do the analysis genius, over the past 20 years, out of X 1st round players chosen, after 5 years how many of those picks are valuable contributors? Answer = minority! If you can prove otherwise, take your best shot!

You're calling me "genius ?" Hmm sounds like your baiting me. I just was issued a warning... I wonder if you'll get one. But OK.... I'll take the time to utterly destroy this nonsense you are posting. But I'm not going to look up the careers for around the 600 first round draft choices over the past 20 years.

Try this for starters and if you don't get it let me know and I'll try something else.

In baseball they actually put a money value on first round picks. It's used by teams in many ways to help them build a team. For instance if a team signs Yankee free agent David Robertson , they lose their first round pick. And if the Yankees give a 15 mill $ qualifying offer to Robertson and lose him , they gain a pick at the end of the first round. So teams will assign values to draft picks , players and expected wins. Then they tabulate moves in a "money driven manner."  I'll post a link that explains it a bit at the end of this. Bottom line is MLB teams might figure the 24th pick in the 1st round is worth say 4 million $'s. Now I would say that the failure rate is much higher in MLB than it is in the NFL.  So by your thinking the MLB first round pick should be really worthless as the failure rate is even higher. This is just really not even close to reality. It's like this . Let's say a very good player is worth 15 million $'s to an NFL franchise. If 10 of the players turn out very good and 5 turn out good and the other half bust.. the pick is still very valuable ... no ? Other words a 35% chance at drafting a great player is way more valuable than having 3 years of TR.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/content/20121222-what-is-the-value-of-a-draft-pick-in-major-league-baseball.ece

That's total nonsense, and it would take very little, to be a more valuable contributor than Trent,, by the way you don't have to open the thread. I don't think anyone is buying the rubbish anyway.

So I don't have time currently to go too deep dive into this... besides "contributors" is a unquantifiable term as it's most going to be people's opinions. 

However look at 2004 (going back 20 years I think you are looking at a different game, before FA, before rule changes etc.) and in the drafts from 2004 to 2013 you have had 115 (hand counted so might need to double check) Pro Bowlers out of 320 selections. Not a pro bowl isn't a great metric for player performance but it does indicate they did something to get voted in. By extrapolation if you propose these are the best players it's not hard to imagine there is a tier of players below who could be called "contributors", I'd imagine over that span I could find  60 at least which would push us into the majority of 1st rounders being contributors. 

Of course I'm open to presentation of your own analysis, and I'll even invite it without a sarcastic swipe at another poster. 

The thread was pinned to keep the other Richardson bashing threads condensed. So unless you want multiple threads where you're constantly having to play "captain save-a-fullback," you should really stop complaining about the existence of this one

Really, just don't know much about football do you. That philosophy will have you getting the number one pick every year.

I know that it's one in a million to play professional sports and to sit on your rear end behind a computer screen and complain about a player is ludicrous.

The thread was pinned to keep the other Richardson bashing threads condensed. So unless you want multiple threads where you're constantly having to play "captain save-a-fullback," you should really stop complaining about the existence of this one

I think he realized that he made a totally baseless assertion that a first round pick is worthless because many of them flame out. The article he posted to back up his point really didn't even infer that. All it said was 2012 and 2013 were bad years for #1 picks. We all know 2012 had all those over drafted QB's that helped wreck the round. So anyway , rather than continue to try to defend what he realized was really bad , he begged for the thread to be closed. Tell me .. which way would the guy get more respect ? Saying maybe he made a bad analogy and what he was trying to say was that losing pick 1.26 was a very bad trade but the Colts should be able to move past that or sticking to his guns that pick 1.26 is really not worth a whole lot more than Trent Richardson ?

I know that it's one in a million to play professional sports and to sit on your rear end behind a computer screen and complain about a player is ludicrous.

How is it different from praising a player ? Is this the new politically correct league where you can only sing praises and never point out flaws ?

Can Richardson play football better then me ? Without a doubt, but he plays it worse then most professional athletes.

Let's say there was a doctor who went through med school and got out and opened up a practice. None of his patients ever get better, some even get worse when he treats them. Now would you continue to go to this doctor and recommend him to family and friends? After all not everyone can pass medical school.

Let's say he was a surgeon and removed the wrong kidney on a patient. Would that patient be allowed to complain and file a lawsuit ? I mean the patient probably isn't smart enough to be a surgeon so he should just shut up about it.

Don't like the doctor analogy ? We can try another.

Let's say you hire a guy to fix your car, the guy is an ASE certified mechanic, car is never fixed properly, but you shouldn't bring it up since you aren't ASE certified.

The fact that none of us here have never played in the NFL doesn't make what Richardson does on the field any better. Every job anyone does on the planet is graded by everyone who uses the product or service that is being provided. The fact that I can't fly an airplane doesn't excuse a pilot who crashes every time he flies one.

How is it different from praising a player ? Is this the new politically correct league where you can only sing praises and never point out flaws ?

Can Richardson play football better then me ? Without a doubt, but he plays it worse then most professional athletes.

Let's say there was a doctor who went through med school and got out and opened up a practice. None of his patients ever get better, some even get worse when he treats them. Now would you continue to go to this doctor and recommend him to family and friends? After all not everyone can pass medical school.

Let's say he was a surgeon and removed the wrong kidney on a patient. Would that patient be allowed to complain and file a lawsuit ? I mean the patient probably isn't smart enough to be a surgeon so he should just shut up about it.

Don't like the doctor analogy ? We can try another.

Let's say you hire a guy to fix your car, the guy is an ASE certified mechanic, car is never fixed properly, but you shouldn't bring it up since you aren't ASE certified.

The fact that none of us here have never played in the NFL doesn't make what Richardson does on the field any better. Every job anyone does on the planet is graded by everyone who uses the product or service that is being provided. The fact that I can't fly an airplane doesn't excuse a pilot who crashes every time he flies one.

again  Bla Bla Bla  from you

Trent Richardson's struggles have nothing to do with his talent. He was a successful running back at Alabama and had some success at Cleveland because of the o-line he had with those two teams were decent. The Colts o-line can pass block but struggle at run blocking thus why Bradshaw and now Herron do not tear up the league.

Trent Richardson's struggles have nothing to do with his talent. He was a successful running back at Alabama and had some success at Cleveland because of the o-line he had with those two teams were decent. The Colts o-line can pass block but struggle at run blocking thus why Bradshaw and now Herron do not tear up the league.

Part of it is Richardson...He has jumped cut out of some open holes, showed a lack of patience at times and been ankle tackled more times then I care to remember. Is all of it Richardson? Of course not...Not even close to all of it but he has alot of improvement to do......With that said the O Line has been awful at run blocking more often then not this season. I personally dont think the coaching staff uses the rotation at rb very well, Subbing out one or the other after 1-2 runs then subbing the other in.

I think the worry to much about keeping them fresh instead of letting them gain momentum and rhythm, There was a few times this year Richardson was on his way to a real good running day running for 4.0 ypc or higher but did not get enough carries.......same with Herron last week 65 yards on only 12 carries

Every freaking running back that has played alongside Richardson has easily outperformed him in the run game.....stop making excuses for a below average RB .

3.6 ypc is not good, which is what he had in Cleveland his rookie season. The 2 games he played with the Browns his second season he averaged 3.4 ypc.

He was not even average with the Browns.

I know its is hard to grasp, so I'm gonna do my best to slowly walk you through it. The line isn't good, if you improved the line then Richardson might very well improve. Here is the hard part, you ready ? Deep breath and focus.

If the line improves they will also improve for the running backs who are putting up better numbers then Trent. It would be improved numbers across the board. Still with me ?

That means if the line helped gain each running back 1 extra ypc, Trent would still be outperformed by everyone he shares carries with.

The only way that Trent alone would improve is if they only brought the good line out when he ran and brought out the scrubs for the other backs.

I know, I know ... Its hard, but relax and let it sink in.

Bradshaw, Herron and Brown last season, have all out performed Trent behind the same line Trent runs behind, and I have no doubt that Tipton would too. I don't understand what is so hard to understand about this. Trent is just not good, he's not even average.

What do you think this forum is for, it's to talk about the Colts, good and bad. Do you always throw in the bla bla bla when you're incapable of making a valid point. Try a forum with a subject you know something about, a lot of your post make no sense at all.

What do you think this forum is for, it's to talk about the Colts, good and bad. Do you always throw in the bla bla bla when you're incapable of making a valid point. Try a forum with a subject you know something about, a lot of your post make no sense at all.

I toss in Bla Bla Bla to people who are stubborn and only see it their way.

Is Trent a great back, no

Is Trent the best back the Colts have, at this moment yes

Can Trent get better, yes

Is it all Trent's fault, no

But most Trent bashers label him as a bust and that's far from the truth.

3.6 ypc is not good, which is what he had in Cleveland his rookie season. The 2 games he played with the Browns his second season he averaged 3.4 ypc.

He was not even average with the Browns.

I know its is hard to grasp, so I'm gonna do my best to slowly walk you through it. The line isn't good, if you improved the line then Richardson might very well improve. Here is the hard part, you ready ? Deep breath and focus.

If the line improves they will also improve for the running backs who are putting up better numbers then Trent. It would be improved numbers across the board. Still with me ?

That means if the line helped gain each running back 1 extra ypc, Trent would still be outperformed by everyone he shares carries with.

The only way that Trent alone would improve is if they only brought the good line out when he ran and brought out the scrubs for the other backs.

I know, I know ... Its hard, but relax and let it sink in.

See Bold.....

So what exactly would it take for Trent to be considered a bust ?

I mean he hasn't lived up to 3rd overall, or 26th overall picks.

He has been outperformed by everyone he has ever shared carries with.

He doesn't hit average numbers, ever.

I'm just wondering what it would take to make you believe he is a bust ?

Is it the "as long as he's in the NFL he can't be a bust" argument ?

Is it the "he contributes" argument ?

What exactly installs in you the belief that he will be anything more then he has been up to this point ?

Can you not wrap your head around that Bradshaw and now Boom both put up better numbers behind the crappy line ?

The "he needs a training camp and off season" argument is no longer valid. "3 offensive coordinators in 2 years" is also no longer available on the why Trent sucks excuse menu.

I guess you could go with the " they aren't using him properly" argument, but even in a system that doesn't maximize their skills you would expect a star running back to occasionally have a big game.

The guy is a bust, doesn't matter what he did in college, tons of college greats become NFL busts.

But most Trent bashers label him as a bust and that's far from the truth.

Usually the back that is considered the best is given the privilege of starting the game. If the Colts start Herron again that would "probably" mean they don't agree with all of your statement. I think the real issue with TR is that he's way too hesitant to pick his hole and accelerate through it. I understand that he has often had no place to go but I've come to the conclusion that I've seen just too many bad runs. I've always supported the move and only when I see the Colts are going with Herron as the starter , have I  "thrown the towel in." 

That said I think he is an Ok goal line guy and is pretty good in open space hen he catches the ball. He'll be a complimentary guy next year as his contract is guaranteed. I think the days of envisioning him as a big time NFL RB are over...at least for all the realist out there.

But most Trent bashers label him as a bust and that's far afrom the truth.

Is Trent a great back, NO, not even average

Is Trent the best the Colts have at this moment, NO, the worst back we have

Can Trent get better, I doubt it, he's had three years, backs don't suddenly get better after three years

Is it all Trent's fault, NO, he can't help he has NO vision, NO burst, NO speed, and NO ability to move laterally and that he's just not a good football player and a huge BUST.

Can Trent get better, I doubt it, he's had three years, backs don't suddenly get better after three years

Is it all Trent's fault, NO, he can't help he has NO vision, NO burst, NO speed, and NO ability to move laterally and that he's just not a good football player and a huge BUST.

Well I think in all fairness we have to acknowledge that he had 4 games this year where he was either over 4ypc or way over 4ypc and well on his way to 100 yards on all 3 of those games and also have to ackowledge that it seems coaching staff is more concerned with keeping our Backs as fresh as possible as opposed to letting the hot Back a the time continue to carry the load in a game while he is in a good rhythm

Well I think in all fairness we have to acknowledge that he had 4 games this year where he was either over 4ypc or way over 4ypc and well on his way to 100 yards on all 3 of those games and also have to ackowledge that it seems coaching staff is more concerned with keeping our Backs as fresh as possible as opposed to letting the hot Back a the time continue to carry the load in a game while he is in a good rhythm

He's way to inconsistent to be well on his way to 100 yards, at no point did I feel like he could have gotten 100 yds. Having only four games out of eleven of over 4 yards per carry, shows just how low the bar has been set for this guy,  Four games out of eleven is not a good thing, it's pathetic, no back or team, except the Trent lovers would consider this a positive. This would get you benched or cut on any other team.

He's way to inconsistent to be well on his way to 100 yards, at no point did I feel like he could have gotten 100 yds. Having only four games out of eleven of over 4 yards per carry, shows just how low the bar has been set for this guy,  Four games out of eleven is not a good thing, it's pathetic, no back or team, except the Trent lovers would consider this a positive. This would get you benched or cut on any other team.

All Im saying is he is here for another year and that he has had moments this season where he was running well but we did not stick with the run, Do I think he is a good Back? No but I think it needs to be acknowledged that he has had some good running games on a per carry basis this season, @Jax, Cincy, Giants, Baltimore.

So I don't have time currently to go too deep dive into this... besides "contributors" is a unquantifiable term as it's most going to be people's opinions. 

However look at 2004 (going back 20 years I think you are looking at a different game, before FA, before rule changes etc.) and in the drafts from 2004 to 2013 you have had 115 (hand counted so might need to double check) Pro Bowlers out of 320 selections. Not a pro bowl isn't a great metric for player performance but it does indicate they did something to get voted in. By extrapolation if you propose these are the best players it's not hard to imagine there is a tier of players below who could be called "contributors", I'd imagine over that span I could find  60 at least which would push us into the majority of 1st rounders being contributors. 

Of course I'm open to presentation of your own analysis, and I'll even invite it without a sarcastic swipe at another poster.

Niccccee...

Again,  bla bla bla    your stubborn comes through.. and who wrote something about the knowledge of the game?