Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Everything Trent Richardson [Merge]

LordHelpOurColts

The Browns knew what they were doing.  ;)  

I think at this point the Colts know where they stand with him as well unfortunately with all the injuries Ballard / Bradshaw we have had little option other than TR ... hope Boom can stay healthy - and IMO signing Rice isnt a horrible idea.   Either way I think its clear TR is not any part of the answer.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, then we know what to expect for another year....sigh.

Well...not necessarily. If the Colts say draft a RB in the 3rd -the 7th that they feel will be a better RB than TR , they (IMO) release him. The 3.5 mill he's owed is guaranteed but if you replace him with say a 4th rounder , that player's cap hit would only be around 550K. So pretty much non effect if you replace TR with a draft pick.  What you wouldn't see is the Colts signing a free agent RB for big money as then they would have too much money slotted to the RB position. 

They have to draft someone, Ballard and Bradshaw are made of glass, you can't pass up a solid back in free agency or the draft thinking either of them are your guy. Trent is a bust, waste of a roster spot.

Boom would be a decent 2nd or 3rd string back, but I wouldn't put all my eggs in his basket.

Draft a back in the second or 3rd and pick up some UDFA's and let Boom compete with them.

Cut your loses and let Trent walk, he is dead money no matter what.

With Luck as our QB, a big factor to consider is the RBs ability to pass protect. for this reason, I am inclined to think that the FO will either stick with Richardson, or find another veteran RB (like Bradshaw) that can come in and both run well and pass protect. It takes a while for rookies to get the hang of pass protection.

The sin is in this staff being willfully ignorant of his poor play, and would rather continue to give him the opportunity to help them save face. I don't have anything against Trent. This staff is beyond stubborn though, and it will eventually cost us important games down the line

You could put T-Rich in an Indy Car and let him use that as a runningback and Luck would still out rush him with one scramble. 

Ahh .. what can ya do . Win some lose some . He's decent in the passing game. Is what it is and time to move on.

Ok. I finally tap. I think I'm one of the last holdouts and even I at this point am going "GG Cleveland. You got us, now at least let us have our dignity."

Was a bad move. Not gonna hold it against Grigson in the slightest. He took a swing for the fences with the move. It took balls, and I appreciate his effort. It is what it is: a swing and a miss. Nothing we can do but move on and focus on the next swing.

Ok. I finally tap. I think I'm one of the last holdouts and even I at this point am going "GG Cleveland. You got us, now at least let us have our dignity."

Was a bad move. Not gonna hold it against Grigson in the slightest. He took a swing for the fences with the move. It took balls, and I appreciate his effort. It is what it is: a swing and a miss. Nothing we can do but move on and focus on the next swing.

You know, after thinking about it, you're right.  It is refreshing to have someone that will take an opportunity, a chance, even if it doesn't pan out.  Hopefully he has learned from his mistake and won't repeat it. 

Now the question is, what do we do with T-Rich?  Maybe he can donn the Colt's mascot uniform and entertain the crowd from the sidelines...

In 2013, in terms of rushing average, if you subtracted Richardson, the Colts were the #1 rushing team in the league.  In 2014, if you subtract Richardson, the Colts are the #3 rushing team in the league.  Every runner not named Richardson who has touched the ball behind this line over the past two years has performed well. 

The solution to your running woes seems fairly simple to me.  Stop. Handing. Richardson. The. Ball. 

You gotta wonder if he's just not a student of the game. Does he not watch film and see how to burst through these holes to at least gain some yards? Yes he does get defenders in the backfield on his runs more than our other backs but when he doesn't it's like he's clueless on how to hit a hole.

You know, after thinking about it, you're right. It is refreshing to have someone that will take an opportunity, a chance, even if it doesn't pan out. Hopefully he has learned from his mistake and won't repeat it.

Now the question is, what do we do with T-Rich? Maybe he can donn the Colt's mascot uniform and entertain the crowd from the sidelines...

And in all fairness, at the time of the trade it seemed like a good idea. Yeah, you find good backs in the middle and late round of the draft. You also find bad ones, too. In fact, you find more bad ones than good. At about a 20 to 1 clip, really. So that's not really a viable argument in my mind. You can find a great player at any position late in the draft. But the chances are you won't.

When we made the deal Richardson was coming off a good rookie season. He was a year removed from being taken #3 overall. There were no red flags.

I honesty think the trade killed Trent's confidence. After his rookie season it looked like he was going to be the offensive load bearer moving forward. And then out of the blue he gets traded over here where he's a cog in the wheel. He went from being the big number 1 to being lost in a shuffle amongst our offense. And then the fanbase here took a collective % on him, just further compounding the issue, and he just hast recovered.

Maybe a fresh start could get him going, but it's just not gonna work here. Problem is, we've got no one who can viably supplant him. (Not interested in Herron in the slightest. Once he cleans up his fumbles we can talk. Until then, nope.)

And in all fairness, at the time of the trade it seemed like a good idea. <snip>...

I was sooooo excited when we made the trade.

Then I was soooo excited for a fresh Trent to make his mark this year.

Then I was soooo excited to see the line grow so Trent could have a great year next year.

After this week, I am ready to move on. Its time.

Trying to defend or justify Trent's playing time at this point is just not valid. The only people (other than a few on this board) that can't see it, is the coaching staff. This trying to save face is hurting this team, how can the players trust the coaching staff, if they continue to give Trent carries. Now is the time to tighten down the hatch, to pull this team together, establish a running game and go into the playoffs with everyone on the same page and really playing as a unified team.

The Colts have four regular season games remaining, and now is the time to give Zurlon Tipton a chance to see what he can do. The staff was really reluctant to give Herron carries, injuries forced their hand and it has worked out well. Herron is so much better than Richardson, and really I don't see how Tipton or anyone else, could not give you more production than Richardson.

Tipton is a big powerful back 231 lbs, he is a lot like Herron in that he is a very decisive runner, who hits the hole fast and hard and keeps his legs churning. He has a very good skip move where if the hole is not there he will skip laterally make one cut and burst into the hole. Richardson gives the Colts none of this ability, I'm not on here trying to bash Richardson, I have made my position on Richardson clear. He is hurting this team.

This is a chance for the coaching staff to show the team that they can be trusted to do what is best for the team. The players know what Richardson can and can't do, they see it everyday and I'm sure it is no surprise to the players that Herron is having so much success. Herron has got to clean up the fumbles, but he is clearly superior to Richardson and the players have known it the whole time, and I believe if given a chance, Tipton will prove to be also, as a player it would be very hard to trust this coaching staff if they continue to give Richardson carries, and it could go along way to giving the players confidence in the coaching staff if they were willing to give Tipton a chance. They really have nothing to lose, if Tipton comes in and gives the team a spark the way Herron has, this would give the Colts a strong rushing attack at the time you need it most. You just can't justify Richardson getting any carries at this point. He has been given way more than an ample opportunity to show what he can do, if Tipton doesn't bring anything to the table, you can always go back to Richardson, but now is the opportunity for the staff to gain some trust from the team, not injuries forcing their hand, a legitimate chance to show the team that they are willing to try whatever it takes gives this team the best chance to be successful down the stretch.

Here's to hoping the staff makes this change and it unifies the team and establishes a legitimate rushing attack at the time we need it the most. The offense is so much more explosive when the threat of a rushing attack is present, that was evident Sunday. With the added weapon of a legitimate rushing attack and if the defense can tighten things up and play the way they are capable (yes it's a big if) we could really have a shot, but if neither of these two things happen, or just one of them, it will be a short run in the playoffs. There are four regular season games left and now is the time to work on establishing the run and playing good defense, this is a four game opportunity to right the ship and get to the point that we are playing our best football and become a complete team. "go colts"

Trying to defend or justify Trent's playing time at this point is just not valid. The only people (other than a few on this board) that can't see it, is the coaching staff. This trying to save face is hurting this team, how can the players trust the coaching staff, if they continue to give Trent carries. Now is the time to tighten down the hatch, to pull this team together, establish a running game and go into the playoffs with everyone on the same page and really playing as a unified team.

The Colts have four regular season games remaining, and now is the time to give Zurlon Tipton a chance to see what he can do. The staff was really reluctant to give Herron carries, injuries forced their hand and it has worked out well. Herron is so much better than Richardson, and really I don't see how Tipton or anyone else, could not give you more production than Richardson.

Tipton is a big powerful back 231 lbs, he is a lot like Herron in that he is a very decisive runner, who hits the hole fast and hard and keeps his legs churning. He has a very good skip move where if the hole is not there he will skip laterally make one cut and burst into the hole. Richardson gives the Colts none of this ability, I'm not on here trying to bash Richardson, I have made my position on Richardson clear. He is hurting this team.

This is a chance for the coaching staff to show the team that they can be trusted to do what is best for the team. The players know what Richardson can and can't do, they see it everyday and I'm sure it is no surprise to the players that Herron is having so much success. Herron has got to clean up the fumbles, but he is clearly superior to Richardson and the players have known it the whole time, and I believe if given a chance, Tipton will prove to be also, as a player it would be very hard to trust this coaching staff if they continue to give Richardson carries, and it could go along way to giving the players confidence in the coaching staff if they were willing to give Tipton a chance. They really have nothing to lose, if Tipton comes in and gives the team a spark the way Herron has, this would give the Colts a strong rushing attack at the time you need it most. You just can't justify Richardson getting any carries at this point. He has been given way more than an ample opportunity to show what he can do, if Tipton doesn't bring anything to the table, you can always go back to Richardson, but now is the opportunity for the staff to gain some trust from the team, not injuries forcing their hand, a legitimate chance to show the team that they are willing to try whatever it takes gives this team the best chance to be successful down the stretch.

Here's to hoping the staff makes this change and it unifies the team and establishes a legitimate rushing attack at the time we need it the most. The offense is so much more explosive when the threat of a rushing attack is present, that was evident Sunday. With the added weapon of a legitimate rushing attack and if the defense can tighten things up and play the way they are capable (yes it's a big if) we could really have a shot, but if neither of these two things happen, or just one of them, it will be a short run in the playoffs. There are four regular season games left and now is the time to work on establishing the run and playing good defense, this is a four game opportunity to right the ship and get to the point that we are playing our best football and become a complete team. "go colts"

I can agree with Herron getting the start and majority of carries but not sold on Tipton as trusted RB yet. These last 4 games are critical for the playoffs seeding and to trust a back like Tipton is not smart. I would lean to giving the ball to Herron and try to establish a chemistry with the O-line heading into the playoffs.

I would let Tipton run it a few times just to see what he can do, you know what you have in Trent, he can block and get you 2 yards. If Tipton doesn't put the ball on the ground then he might be the better option as number 2. If he can't gain yards, or fumbles more then Boom then you put Trent back in.

If Boom can stop dropping the ball then you have to believe he needs to start during the playoffs.

Boom gounged the Redskins defense, if he can do that to a few more teams it will make the opponents respect the run and be a major help going into the playoffs.

Trent doesn't scare anyone, he's not gonna take it to the house, his only threat is at the goaline. Nobody is gonna worry too much when Trent is on the field.

If you can get the threat of a run game then defenses will back off Luck and the sacks will go down.

I would get Tipton some carries though because come playoff time you wanna have some idea of what he can do. You don't wanna have Boom go down and have Trent out there getting the bulk of the carries, you will be very one dimensional if that happens.

I never backed the move nor did I have a strong opinion on the matter, I have no axe to grind. I always gave Trent and the powers that be the benefit of the doubt

I hereby officially due solemnly swear that Richardson does suck, real bad. oh lord. Please only put him in to pass block if we have abandoned the run completely. The honeymoon is over the guy moves so slow, I can't deals.

I wish I had the time to bump all of the old threads saying how TERRIBLE the Browns offensive line is and how stupid they were for trading him. How I was a dumb homer for saying he hasn't been very good. 

GOAT trade, thanks Joe Banner.

I wish I had the time to bump all of the old threads saying how TERRIBLE the Browns offensive line is and how stupid they were for trading him. How I was a dumb homer for saying he hasn't been very good. 

GOAT trade, thanks Joe Banner.

I may or may not have argued in Richardson's defense...

I finally saw the light

:sorry:

You know, after thinking about it, you're right.  It is refreshing to have someone that will take an opportunity, a chance, even if it doesn't pan out.  Hopefully he has learned from his mistake and won't repeat it. 

Now the question is, what do we do with T-Rich?  Maybe he can donn the Colt's mascot uniform and entertain the crowd from the sidelines...

Trading a 1st rounder for a RB in today's game, a back that had proven to be nothing special, isn't swinging for the fences, it's tragically stupid.

I think it also has to be worth noting that the O Line was different then what it had been in the past this year, We inserted Reitz at RG plus it appeared to me early on we opened up our Blocking Scheme a bit and used a variety more then usual(We did this when Richardson was in the game to running as well as Herron) and more affectively instead of trying to be this Drive Blocking team down after down...We appeared to use Gap Blocking and Zone a bit more then usual....That's not to say Im giving Richardson an excuse....Im in no way shape or form doing that...I have given my opinions on Richardson as a rb multiple times and stand by those opinions but Im giving my opinion more on how we used our blocking schemes it seems more affectively...Against a team that is 9th in yards allowed a game rushing