Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Everything Trent Richardson [Merge]

LordHelpOurColts

I take this to mean you couldn't find a legitimate point. Coming into the league, not that long ago by the way, he was viewed as a Ladianian Tomlinson/Adrian Peterson type of prospect so yes he has potential. Unfortunately people have no patience these days and if a prospect struggles on day one then he's forever labeled a bust. Rolando McClain, our own Jerry Hughes, etc. have proven that sometimes you have to have patience with these prospects, I mean Trent is only 24 years old.

Agreed. I wish the Colts had a more successful run blocking line and that Richardson would lose some bulk to regain some of the speed he's lost. I hope he succeeds because he's a Colt and it'd be nice to see him play extremely well on a consistent basis.

That is Trent's main problem.  His interior line cannot get the job done due to inexperienced players.  We have to give them time as we do with Trent.  It would be nice to see Trent get faster, but if he is losing bulk to do so, I don't think he should.  We have (had fast) RB's in (Now) Boom Herron and Bradshaw, but no power backs besides Trent.  Grigson and Pagano seems committed to building a power run team from the start of the rebuilding program.  I still have a lot of confidence in Trent and believe he will be just fine after next season.  I think he will continue to be inconsistent next year until the rest of his blockers get their feet under them, and can make a push up front. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much time does Trent need to reach his potential ? It doesn't matter what he was compared to coming out of college, he has been an all round bust since entering the league. All kinds of players are thought to be sure things coming out of college and end up busts, Trent is among them.

He isn't a power back. A power back imposes himself upon the defense, Trent stops, river dances, then runs into the back of his lineman.

Trent just needs time ..... Kids that were in highschool when Trent was drafted will be on NFL teams and putting up better yards then Trent next season, how much more time does he need ?

New backs who can put up more yards then Trent are coming out of college every year, why would you have patience on a guy who has done nothing but be less then average for 3 years ?

He has been out performed by other busts (Brown), by an old player on the downside of his career with major injury issues (Bradshaw), and by a 3rd string back who would probably be a practice squad player on most teams (Boom). So forgive me if I'm not seeing all this potential that is being spoken of.

A good line would make all of them run better and Trent would still be the worst of the bunch.

Everybody except a select few Colts fans know that Trent's a bust, you couldn't trade him for a foam finger and a half eaten sandwich.

How much time does Trent need to reach his potential ? It doesn't matter what he was compared to coming out of college, he has been an all round bust since entering the league. All kinds of players are thought to be sure things coming out of college and end up busts, Trent is among them.

He isn't a power back. A power back imposes himself upon the defense, Trent stops, river dances, then runs into the back of his lineman.

Trent just needs time ..... Kids that were in highschool when Trent was drafted will be on NFL teams and putting up better yards then Trent next season, how much more time does he need ?

New backs who can put up more yards then Trent are coming out of college every year, why would you have patience on a guy who has done nothing but be less then average for 3 years ?

He has been out performed by other busts (Brown), by an old player on the downside of his career with major injury issues (Bradshaw), and by a 3rd string back who would probably be a practice squad player on most teams (Boom). So forgive me if I'm not seeing all this potential that is being spoken of.

A good line would make all of them run better and Trent would still be the worst of the bunch.

Everybody except a select few Colts fans know that Trent's a bust, you couldn't trade him for a foam finger and a half eaten sandwich.

Bla Bla Bla 

and I don't think D. Brown is doing so well in SD......just saying.......and get off the hate band wagon already, we all know Trent was not worth #1 trade by now but Trent in some form still helps the team win football games.

A running back is not a project player, he either has the skills and produces or he doesn't. He isn't a quarterback.

This is the season he was gonna be the next Lynch, remember ? He was gonna show everyone .....

Needed that training camp and off season and was gonna be great .....

The bar has been lowered so much that if he hits league average in a game the Colts fans get excited ....

Even DHB helped the team in some form, mostly by keeping a corner busy on the off chance that he might catch a ball.

Satele for all his suckiness did manage to throw a block on occasion, so he helped the team. Even Curtis Painter completed a pass now and again and helped the team.

Now that I think about it though Trent's contributions are even less then a completed pass by Painter, they are more like a handoff, something anybody could do, step back and hand someone else the ball. Yep, Trent's skills and contributions are equal to a horrible quarterback handing the ball off, someone has to do it, and just about anyone could.

A running back is not a project player, he either has the skills and produces or he doesn't. He isn't a quarterback.

This is the season he was gonna be the next Lynch, remember ? He was gonna show everyone .....

Needed that training camp and off season and was gonna be great .....

The bar has been lowered so much that if he hits league average in a game the Colts fans get excited ....

Even DHB helped the team in some form, mostly by keeping a corner busy on the off chance that he might catch a ball.

Satele for all his suckiness did manage to throw a block on occasion, so he helped the team. Even Curtis Painter completed a pass now and again and helped the team.

Now that I think about it though Trent's contributions are even less then a completed pass by Painter, they are more like a handoff, something anybody could do, step back and hand someone else the ball. Yep, Trent's skills and contributions are equal to a horrible quarterback handing the ball off, someone has to do it, and just about anyone could.

Really, so by your statement states that someone who contributes minimally should be left go or is a scrub.

Thank goodness your not  a coach or a GM because you know jack squat.

Does anyone here believe that TRich would have gotten the first down on the goal line, 4 and 1 last week?  Boom did it, creatively bouncing to the outside after he had been stopped initially.  Trent (IMHO) would have just collapsed behind the line, like he has done so many times before.

He's a bust.  Let him (it) go.....(now I have that stupid song in my head again, thanks a lot....)

Does anyone here believe that TRich would have gotten the first down on the goal line, 4 and 1 last week? Boom did it, creatively bouncing to the outside after he had been stopped initially. Trent (IMHO) would have just collapsed behind the line, like he has done so many times before.

He's a bust. Let him (it) go.....(now I have that stupid song in my head again, thanks a lot....)

He would have lost 3 yards.

I see colts letting him go.. and the patriots or greenbay pickin him up and making him a heck of a player.. some team with a good coach that knows how to use their players talents will make him good.. call me crazy but i see it happening.

He would suck there too

Really, so by your statement states that someone who contributes minimally should be left go or is a scrub.

Thank goodness your not a coach or a GM because you know jack squat.

Yeah holding onto players who can't perform is so much smarter then accepting your mistake and moving on.

Chargers should have held onto Leaf, he would have been good by now.

Trent's only skill is running into defenders, great for pass protection, not so great when running the ball. A 300 pound lineman could do what Trent does and probably average nearly the same ypc. All he would need to do is run 2 steps beyond the line of scrimmage then fall forward.

I see colts letting him go.. and the patriots or greenbay pickin him up and making him a heck of a player.. some team with a good coach that knows how to use their players talents will make him good.. call me crazy but i see it happening.

I think that's what will happen too unfortunately.  Ive actually thought that since the middle of the year.  The interior will still be young next year, and he will continue to struggle.  Then after his contract is up, he will want out because dumb ruthless fans.  A team like the Packers or Patriots (good team, with established program) will pick him up as an insurance policy with a bargain deal, and he will prove himself there.  All these dumb fans would be left clueless, and wouldn't care or still wouldn't admit it's our Offensive lines fault for his inconsistent play.

Yeah holding onto players who can't perform is so much smarter then accepting your mistake and moving on.

Chargers should have held onto Leaf, he would have been good by now.

Trent's only skill is running into defenders, great for pass protection, not so great when running the ball. A 300 pound lineman could do what Trent does and probably average nearly the same ypc. All he would need to do is run 2 steps beyond the line of scrimmage then fall forward.

This is pretty funny.  How can you say things like this and actually think you're right?  There are plenty of players who struggle early on in their career, but turn out to be alright.  The kid is in his 3rd season.  He had a decent rookie year, and has had some solid games this year also.  I would agree with you if he was 7 years pro been on 3 teams and only averaged 3.5 YPC over that span.  He has plenty of time to turn it around.  Why aren't people so critical on Mewhort, Harrison, or Thornton.  None of them have yet to satisfy me on how an acceptable lineman should play, but they're young and need time!  Ironically they're responsible for everything up the middle (where Trent mostly runs).  If they were "THAT" good they could open holes, and Trent would simply walk through them.  "His only skill is running into defenders?"  Why are there defenders in the backfield?  Couldn't be because somebody blew their assignment huh!  A 300 lb lineman could do what Trent does?  Have you watched any of Trent's 7-10 yard runs? Or coming across the formation to pick up blocks?  Surely a guy of that stature couldn't do what Trent does.  Don't fool yourself!!

Does anyone here believe that TRich would have gotten the first down on the goal line, 4 and 1 last week?  Boom did it, creatively bouncing to the outside after he had been stopped initially.  Trent (IMHO) would have just collapsed behind the line, like he has done so many times before.

He's a bust.  Let him (it) go.....(now I have that stupid song in my head again, thanks a lot....)

I like Trent but I don't think he would've got it.  You did see Boom hesitate, then run into the back of his blocker (exactly what people criticize of Trent) then try to bounce it outside before he saw 2 more guys ready to eat him up so he made a quick move and heading North into a tiny gap.  I don't know if he can jump but in those situations a great back would leap the line and picks it up without any troubles, or risking being stopped in the backfield. 

It shouldn't have came down to the 4th & 1 anyway.  The refs tried screwing the Colts into that position anyway.  It was close but he got the first down on 3rd and short.  The review was called as the play stands meaning they didn't have enough evidence to overturn.  Same if they marked it 1st and Goal from the start, but if you really look the replays they were showing was from a back angle making it appear shorter than what it was, but in reality it is just a perception thing.  When they marked the spot after that if they still didn't want to give it to him it should've only been by 1 CM because it was clear that the ball was on the line!

Like he "SUCKED" in Cleveland.  He was a rookie and had a good year on a terrible team.  May not live up to his #3 overall hype, but that doesn't mean he isn't good!  There is a big difference.  But I guess we will just have to wait and see huh?

He was forgettable in Cleveland....just racked up a lot of short yardage TD's. Why do you think think they traded him?

They traded him so they could stockpile picks for this past draft.  They have been on a quest for their franchise QB for the last 15 years.  They used the excuse as "he doesn't fit our system"  I believed he had 950 yards as a rookie, and around 10 total TD's (could be off a bit).  One of the best seasons for a Browns rookie running back ever!  The Browns were worse at that time then they are now also.

They traded him so they could stockpile picks for this past draft.  They have been on a quest for their franchise QB for the last 15 years.  They used the excuse as "he doesn't fit our system"  I believed he had 950 yards as a rookie, and around 10 total TD's (could be off a bit).  One of the best seasons for a Browns rookie running back ever!  The Browns were worse at that time then they are now also.

They traded him before everyone else figured out he stunk.

This is pretty funny. How can you say things like this and actually think you're right? There are plenty of players who struggle early on in their career, but turn out to be alright. The kid is in his 3rd season. He had a decent rookie year, and has had some solid games this year also. I would agree with you if he was 7 years pro been on 3 teams and only averaged 3.5 YPC over that span. He has plenty of time to turn it around. Why aren't people so critical on Mewhort, Harrison, or Thornton. None of them have yet to satisfy me on how an acceptable lineman should play, but they're young and need time! Ironically they're responsible for everything up the middle (where Trent mostly runs). If they were "THAT" good they could open holes, and Trent would simply walk through them. "His only skill is running into defenders?" Why are there defenders in the backfield? Couldn't be because somebody blew their assignment huh! A 300 lb lineman could do what Trent does? Have you watched any of Trent's 7-10 yard runs? Or coming across the formation to pick up blocks? Surely a guy of that stature couldn't do what Trent does. Don't fool yourself!!

He is not a quarterback, he is a running back. He's not gonna play until he is 40.

His rookie stats were unimpressive, his stats since then were unimpressive.

He got 12 short yardage touchdowns his rookie season, great for fantasy football, he averaged 3.6 ypc with a longest run of 32 yards, not good for real football.

The excuses keep changing. All the excuses from last season were dispelled, so the line was blamed, then everyone else got better yards behind that line so it morphed into they don't block the way Trent runs.

How much time and money would you invest in a one trick pony who needs a hole big enough to drive a truck through just so he can possibly achieve average numbers.

99.999999% of the NFL and its fans have accepted that Trent sucks, but the diehard Trent fans continue to believe they are the only ones who truly understand football.

Let Trent go pick up yards somewhere else if he can, because he can't do it here.

Running backs are not project players, they have shorter careers and are expected to produce from day 1.

I expect Trent to be hanging around Indy for one more season, then he will be a free agent. Someone will pick him up and cut him before the season starts, and he will go in the record books as not only a bust but also one of the worst trades in Colts history.

I think that's what will happen too unfortunately.  Ive actually thought that since the middle of the year.  The interior will still be young next year, and he will continue to struggle.  Then after his contract is up, he will want out because dumb ruthless fans.  A team like the Packers or Patriots (good team, with established program) will pick him up as an insurance policy with a bargain deal, and he will prove himself there.  All these dumb fans would be left clueless, and wouldn't care or still wouldn't admit it's our Offensive lines fault for his inconsistent play.

The dumb and clueless would be anyone who, at this point of T-rich's miserable excuse of a football career,  would try to defend the pathetic, talentless, below mediocre, player that is T-rich. When he is done holding back the Colts he will not, go to another team and suddenly his talent will come out,  He has no talent,  he is hands down, by far, the worst starting back in the NFL. He is a joke,  when he is done holding back the Colts he will be out of football and flipping burgers.  He's playing for the only team in the NFL that would  let his sorry butt step on the field in a NFL game,  if he played for any other team he would be cut.

The fact that anyone is left, that still thinks this guy could be good someday is freaking hilarious,  Do you still believe Elvis is alive, or that unicorns are real,  Please name me one running back in the entire history of the NFL that became good after their third or fourth season. You can't because there has never been one. Running back is the one position where you can come in as a rookie and play. you can get better as a pass protector, but if you can't run by your third season, you will never be good at it. To defend this bum and his play at this point,  shows just how little you really know about football.

Delusional

The dumb and clueless would be anyone who, at this point of T-rich's miserable excuse of a football career,  would try to defend the pathetic, talentless, below mediocre, player that is T-rich. When he is done holding back the Colts he will not, go to another team and suddenly his talent will come out,  He has no talent,  he is hands down, by far, the worst starting back in the NFL. He is a joke,  when he is done holding back the Colts he will be out of football and flipping burgers.  He's playing for the only team in the NFL that would  let his sorry butt step on the field in a NFL game,  if he played for any other team he would be cut.

The fact that anyone is left, that still thinks this guy could be good someday is freaking hilarious,  Do you still believe Elvis is alive, or that unicorns are real,  Please name me one running back in the entire history of the NFL that became good after their third or fourth season. You can't because there has never been one. Running back is the one position where you can come in as a rookie and play. you can get better as a pass protector, but if you can't run by your third season, you will never be good at it. To defend this bum and his play at this point,  shows just how little you really know about football.

Terrell Davis comes to mind

Terrell Davis comes to mind

Davis rushed for over 1,100 yards his rookie season and had a 4.7 ypc.

He had a 4.8 ypc his first 4 seasons until he started getting hurt all the time and his numbers dropped.

6,400 yards his first four seasons

You are losing credibility, son.

Blah blah blah.

He is not a quarterback, he is a running back. He's not gonna play until he is 40.

His rookie stats were unimpressive, his stats since then were unimpressive.

He got 12 short yardage touchdowns his rookie season, great for fantasy football, he averaged 3.6 ypc with a longest run of 32 yards, not good for real football.

The excuses keep changing. All the excuses from last season were dispelled, so the line was blamed, then everyone else got better yards behind that line so it morphed into they don't block the way Trent runs.

How much time and money would you invest in a one trick pony who needs a hole big enough to drive a truck through just so he can possibly achieve average numbers.

99.999999% of the NFL and its fans have accepted that Trent sucks, but the diehard Trent fans continue to believe they are the only ones who truly understand football.

Let Trent go pick up yards somewhere else if he can, because he can't do it here.

Running backs are not project players, they have shorter careers and are expected to produce from day 1.

I expect Trent to be hanging around Indy for one more season, then he will be a free agent. Someone will pick him up and cut him before the season starts, and he will go in the record books as not only a bust but also one of the worst trades in Colts history.

I guess you have your opinion and I have mine... That's all that really matters!

HEEEEESSSSSS BAAAACCCCKKKKKKK!  More derogitory comments lol.  Dude leave it alone!!  FYI Elvis is alive and unicorns are real, as real as I want them to be :)  To defend him doesn't prove anything about how little I know about football, but verbally attacking somebody over a pointless conversation does show signs of lack of self esteem and ignorance in itself, because you never see people with high self esteem do that.  Why?  They know it's a waste of time.  Also, it's ignorance because youre saying things as your opinion and trying to pass them off as facts.  The sky is blue FACT!  Grass is green FACT!  You are a incosiderate * (my) OPINION.  See the difference?

If that's what you want to call it. There were several reports saying those two things around the time of the trade. I wouldn't make something like that up!

That was when people thought he still might be good. He hasn't been good.

He hasn't been OK.

HEEEEESSSSSS BAAAACCCCKKKKKKK!  More derogitory comments lol.  Dude leave it alone!!  FYI Elvis is alive and unicorns are real, as real as I want them to be :)  To defend him doesn't prove anything about how little I know about football, but verbally attacking somebody over a pointless conversation does show signs of lack of self esteem and ignorance in itself, because you never see people with high self esteem do that.  Why?  They know it's a waste of time.  Also, it's ignorance because youre saying things as your opinion and trying to pass them off as facts.  The sky is blue FACT!  Grass is green FACT!  You are a incosiderate * (my) OPINION. 

If 99.999 percent of the world see a subject one way, and the 00.001 see it another way, the odds lean heavily toward that being a fact, in favor of the 99.999 percent, and not an opinion as the 00.001 or (the Ignorant) would have you believe.  Yes you can believe Elvis is still alive, unicorns are real and that Trent is good, and they are as real as you want them to be in your mind, just not in the real world. Custer didn't think there were to many Indians over that hill (his) OPINION and we see how that turned out, ( not my)OPINION.  Your self esteem, my self esteem or Trent's football ability can be what ever you want it to be in your mind, just not in the real world. FACT   but just, scroll back through the countless post on this board to see what the 99.999 percent think of your, football knowledge, your self esteem and your opinion. 

Grass is green FACT

The sky is blue FACT

You think you have a clue (your) OPINION

You have no credibility (my and 99.999%) OPINION

See the difference.

You use terms like " dumb ruthless fans" and "all these dumb fans would  be left clueless" and then when someone responds to these remarks. you start whining about derogatory comments, people having a lack of self esteem or their ignorance.  You are the one who brings all this crap into these post dude, people simply respond to your comments. Can you really not see that you are the problem, and maybe it is you that has a lack of self esteem, and if you can't make a valid point, who is ignorant?

They traded him because he sucked, and they knew they had made a huge mistake. They thought if they  could get anything in return for that mistake, they had better  do it before the rest of the league figured out what a mistake they had made. I'm sure they were thrilled when they learned they could get a 1st round pick for their mistake. No way they would have traded a player that they used the 3rd pick in the draft on, if they thought he had a future at all. Getting a 1st round pick for one of the biggest mistakes the franchise had ever made, was like winning the lottery. I just hate that my favorite team was the one team, that gave a first round pick for him.

How would trading the 3rd overall pick for a future very low 1st round pick be stockpiling. Only knowing you had made a (HUGE) and I mean (HUGE) mistake, would make a team make such a move. Teams  "on a quest for their franchise QB for the last 15 years" don't make a move to the 26th position to get him, they move into the top 5 or 10 to get him. Get real.

That is Trent's main problem.  His interior line cannot get the job done due to inexperienced players.  We have to give them time as we do with Trent.  It would be nice to see Trent get faster, but if he is losing bulk to do so, I don't think he should.  We have (had fast) RB's in (Now) Boom Herron and Bradshaw, but no power backs besides Trent.  Grigson and Pagano seems committed to building a power run team from the start of the rebuilding program.  I still have a lot of confidence in Trent and believe he will be just fine after next season.  I think he will continue to be inconsistent next year until the rest of his blockers get their feet under them, and can make a push up front. 

( So called) power backs, take less blocking than (so called) speed backs. That's why their called power backs. I too, think he will continue to be incredible inconsistent next year, if he's in the league.  No running back in the entire history of the NFL, has ever after three or four seasons of being completely horrible as a starting running back, turned it around and became a quality back, never not one time. You can however, find hundreds of backs who were out of the league after three and for seasons of Trent like production, just not one single running back in the history of the league who has done the opposite, as a matter of fact the first four seasons are usually the best seasons of a running backs career. I hope the Colts accept that they made a huge mistake and just cut Trent and eat the money of the final year of his contract. If not and they feel they just can't eat the money, they can waste the roster spot for  another season, you can bet he want get another contract out of the Colts, because never, again  (in the entire history of the NFL) has a running back been awarded a new contract by the same team after fours seasons of Trent like production.

This is pretty funny.  How can you say things like this and actually think you're right?  There are plenty of players who struggle early on in their career, but turn out to be alright.  The kid is in his 3rd season.  He had a decent rookie year, and has had some solid games this year also.  I would agree with you if he was 7 years pro been on 3 teams and only averaged 3.5 YPC over that span.  He has plenty of time to turn it around.  Why aren't people so critical on Mewhort, Harrison, or Thornton.  None of them have yet to satisfy me on how an acceptable lineman should play, but they're young and need time!  Ironically they're responsible for everything up the middle (where Trent mostly runs).  If they were "THAT" good they could open holes, and Trent would simply walk through them.  "His only skill is running into defenders?"  Why are there defenders in the backfield?  Couldn't be because somebody blew their assignment huh!  A 300 lb lineman could do what Trent does?  Have you watched any of Trent's 7-10 yard runs? Or coming across the formation to pick up blocks?  Surely a guy of that stature couldn't do what Trent does.  Don't fool yourself!!

Because he is right, the learning curve for QBs and O-lineman are completely different than for RBs. Yes there are plenty of players who struggle early on in their careers, but turn out to be alright, but there are zero cases of RBs doing this (ZERO CASES).