Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Adams

scousecolt

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We Also claimed Brandon Burton off waivers,since no thread yet or didnt see that mentioned,adds to cb depth

Did you look reeeaaaal hard?

Edit: sorry for being sarcastic. I did start a thread on Burton a few days ago, but if don't see it.

honestly don' know much about him, I guess we will see. Can't hurt at this point, will provide more competition. We will see, still rooting for dewy though!

Here is ADAMS AT A GLANCE:

• A 10th-year player who has seen action in 146 career games with Denver (2012-13), Cleveland (2007-11) and San Francisco (2004-06), combining for 73 starts at both safety positions and cornerback.

• Totaled career highs in tackles (80) and passes defensed (11) in his first year with the Broncos in 2012, helping Denver rank second in the NFL in total defense (third in pass defense).

• Opened 16 games at free safety for Cleveland in 2011 as the Browns finished with the NFL’s second-ranked pass defense (184.9 ypg).

• Owns 18 career takeaways (12 INTs, 6 FR) in addition to contributing 67 special-teams tackles in his first nine NFL seasons.

• Received the 2011 Dino Lucarelli Good Guy Award from the Cleveland Chapter of the Professional Football Writers’ Association.

• Started 23-of-43 career games at the University of Delaware, earning second-team All-Atlantic 10 Conference honors as a senior in 2003 while helping guide the Blue Hens to the Division I-AA National Championship.

• Joined the Broncos as an unrestricted free agent on March 16, 2012.

• Entered the NFL with San Francisco as a college free agent on April 28, 2004.

He's a blue hen he and Kerr have a little something in common

Sergio Brown of course. Bet you liked Moala and Angerer too.

Hmmm! With 90 man rosters Every Team chose UDFA over this guy. lmao! Good grief.

That is not really the case. With Adams you have to pay him a lot more than an UDFA, which factors in for cap strapped teams.

Was Adams in San Francisco while Manusky was coordinating the defense?

No Adams was in Cleveland. I think it is a good signing. There are a lot of vets that are going to be signed after cuts and that are just waiting for the right opportunity. Look at Goodwin in NO and Williams in Seattle both signed recently. The fact he was still out there I am not sure means he stinks and can't help us.

I also think that the coaches might have been looking for more from Lynch than anyone realized as soon as he goes down we bring in a proven vet. It would appear Grigs had Adams on speed dial as well it sure didn't take long for it to happen.

He seems like a really good guy and we know he can play a little I think he will be a good fit for us. Maybe take a couple of the younger guys under his wing Purifoy comes to mind. It seems to me like Grigs had him in mind prior to the injury the thing went down so fast. I liked him from FA thought we should take a look. I am glad we have him now.

Just dug up something interesting about vet minimum contracts, which I'm assuming we gave Adams. With ten years experience, his salary for 2014 will be $955k. As long as it's a one year contract and his bonus (signing + roster + workout) doesn't exceed $65k, we get a break from the Minimum Salary Benefit Rule. That means his cap hit will only be $570k. I guess it's a way to minimize the hit from vet minimum contracts for cap-strapped teams, giving vets a greater chance of being signed and making the roster. We're not cap-strapped, but we can still use this rule to our advantage.

Details here: http://www.spotrac.com/blog/nfl-minimum-salaries-veteran-discounts/

As for Adams, this is a decent signing. Nothing to get too worked up over, but he gives us some veteran experience at a position that was very inexperienced. He played 70% of the defensive snaps for the Broncos last year, and he has rarely been hurt, so he's durable and reliable. Not really a playmaker or difference maker, but if we need him to play extended time at safety, he'll be okay.

I don't really see him as that much different than Antoine Bethea. According to PFF, in 2013 Adams was targeted 45 times and gave up 26 catches for 406 yards and 2 TDs. Had 1 interception and 3 breakups. Had some long catches against, like a 43 yarder against Edelman (35 yards in the air), but he also gave up a 34 yarder to Hakeem Nicks, but only 19 yards in the air and 15 after the catch. There was another long one against the Texans, but for the most part he didn't give up big plays. He was used down in the slot and against TEs, and did a good job. I think he did better in coverage than Bethea (half as many TDs against in 9 fewer targets), but gave up twice as much YAC. Being that the safety is often the last line of defense, that's troubling, but I think I'd rather have a guy who doesn't give up big plays for TDs like Bethea did.

In all, hopefully Delano Howell is impressive and gets the starting job, but if Adams is the backup plan, I'm good with that. Or if Howell gets hurt, Adams is a good stand-in, even long term. Definitely a better option than Sergio Brown, and takes some pressure off guys like Dewey McDonald and the other young safeties on the roster. (I still wish we'd have signed Chris Clemons.)

Signing gets a B from me, assuming it's a vet minimum deal. 

Sergio Brown of course. Bet you liked Moala and Angerer too.

Hmmm! With 90 man rosters Every Team chose UDFA over this guy. lmao! Good grief.

Every team did not pass on him. Where do you get your information? Just because he wasn't jumped on quickly does not mean he was passed over. He was looking for the right place as far as I can see.

As for Adams, this is a decent signing. Nothing to get too worked up over, but he gives us some veteran experience at a position that was very inexperienced. He played 70% of the defensive snaps for the Broncos last year, and he has rarely been hurt, so he's durable and reliable. Not really a playmaker or difference maker, but if we need him to play extended time at safety, he'll be okay.

I don't really see him as that much different than Antoine Bethea. According to PFF, in 2013 Adams was targeted 45 times and gave up 26 catches for 406 yards and 2 TDs. Had 1 interception and 3 breakups. Had some long catches against, like a 43 yarder against Edelman (35 yards in the air), but he also gave up a 34 yarder to Hakeem Nicks, but only 19 yards in the air and 15 after the catch. There was another long one against the Texans, but for the most part he didn't give up big plays. He was used down in the slot and against TEs, and did a good job. I think he did better in coverage than Bethea (half as many TDs against in 9 fewer targets), but gave up twice as much YAC. Being that the safety is often the last line of defense, that's troubling, but I think I'd rather have a guy who doesn't give up big plays for TDs like Bethea did.

In all, hopefully Delano Howell is impressive and gets the starting job, but if Adams is the backup plan, I'm good with that. Or if Howell gets hurt, Adams is a good stand-in, even long term. Definitely a better option than Sergio Brown, and takes some pressure off guys like Dewey McDonald and the other young safeties on the roster. (I still wish we'd have signed Chris Clemons.)

He saw a lot of passing playing for the donkey's as most teams were in full pass mode by the second quarter. I like the signing might be able to rotate in on passing downs. Good veteran leadership he was one of the guys I was hoping we would take a look at earlier in the year. We can let Howell grow see what we have. He can help Dewey along maybe take Purifoy under his wing. Everything I have seen on him he seems like the kind of pro you would want around your young guys,

I agree solid B. Happened quick too makes me think Grigs had an eye on him prior to the injury

No Adams was in Cleveland. I think it is a good signing. There are a lot of vets that are going to be signed after cuts and that are just waiting for the right opportunity. Look at Goodwin in NO and Williams in Seattle both signed recently. The fact he was still out there I am not sure means he stinks and can't help us.

I also think that the coaches might have been looking for more from Lynch than anyone realized as soon as he goes down we bring in a proven vet. It would appear Grigs had Adams on speed dial as well it sure didn't take long for it to happen.

Of course they were, but our optimistic base is always hoping the new guy(s) is the next John Lynch and not Corey Lynch.  Corey has NFL playing experience and is a better cover safety than Landry, IMO. He would have pushed our rooks hard to even make the roster.  Now Adams gets that job.  I feel bad for Corey but glad we got a suitable replacement on board.

Of course they were, but our optimistic base is always hoping the new guy(s) is the next John Lynch and not Corey Lynch.  Corey has NFL playing experience and is a better cover safety than Landry, IMO. He would have pushed our rooks hard to even make the roster.  Now Adams gets that job.  I feel bad for Corey but glad we got a suitable replacement on board.

I feel bad for Corey too it is strange that they still haven't disclosed his injury or at least I haven't been able to find it anywhere. We basically traded Corey for Adams which isn't too bad. Adams is a better cover S too I think and we will see him on the field.

I hope the kid is ok and it is just a regular old football injury. I know everyone is Dewey crazy and he may pan out but that is a big leap they were looking for him to make as a rookie. Thankfully a guy like Adams was still out there. He is decent player but also everything I have read and seen a better person who really had to work to get where he is at. You can't have enough of those types around the young guys.

Agree with the B grade, But he is no were near Bethea's league!

Yes, I came to pretty much the same conclusion after reading up on Adams. Decent back up and at 33 on the downside, but equal to Bethea for hopefully a lot less money.(And Bethea was better earlier in his career, so I'm comparing Adams to the current Bethea, not the past Bethea).

Agree with the B grade, But he is no were near Bethea's league!

I appreciate Bethea, but his work in coverage suspect the last two years, even below average in 2013. He's probably a better tackler and better in run support than Adams, but in coverage, not at all. Adams does better against TEs and slot receivers, which is what our SS needs to excel at. Bethea might have more range.