Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Better Draft Based On Who Was Available

LAColt

2.  Louis Nix NT Notre Dame:   should have been the choice in the 2nd round.  He had fallen out of late 1st/early 2nd, and would have solidified the NG position along with Chapman.

3.  Bashaud Breeland CB Clemson:  I felt one more CB was needed on the roster. 

5.  Deon Bailey S USC:  He went undrafted, but he would be a great backup FS, and a great special teams player.  I watched the guy for 4 years, he will make an NFL roster for sure.

6. Antonio Richardson T Tennessee:  If he can shed 10 pounds, he is a right guard/right tackle prospect that could eventually be starter material.

7.  Trevor Reilly OLB Utah State:  An absolutely incredible football player.  Looked like a man among boys.  Can't believe he was there at pick 232.  Jets took him right after we picked at 233.  He is a natural 6'5" beast.  Makes plays behind the line of scrimmage.  The steal of the 7th round for the Jets.  We could have had him instead of a OL that's not gonna make the team.  He is 26 years old.  If he was 22 he would have been a 2nd round pick.

I think that would have been a better draft than what we actually did.  I think we are bottom 5 for sure in this draft. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. It was clear we wanted to get another offensive line-men to protect Luck, not a NT to play behind Chapman.

3. Future #1 receiver is needed more than a #4 corner as it sits now

5. Jonathan Newsome will be a very good player mark my words, we didn't need to take what ended up to be an UDFA safety here, I fail to see any logic in taking Dion Bailey here if he wasn't even drafted.

6. Andrew Jackson can be starter material, and with Jack Mewhort already a good T/G prospect, no need for this, especially since we took Ulrick John later

7. Good OT in college, seeing if he can turn into something

The truth is that Bailey just wasn't as good as people liked to believe. I understand the issue with Nix but it sounds like they just completely stuck to their board, and that's why they passed on Nix. I'm sure there was thought given to it, but they clearly didn't like him enough to deviate from their plans. This is the same thing the Browns did with not drafting a receiver.

I'll give you the 7th round pick though. But those are usually throw away picks anyways. It was a good draft but a lot of people don't realize how overrated most of the prospects people liked were. It wasn't just the Colts who passed on people like Breeland and Bailey, it was a lot of teams.

Thing is I would have taken Bailey in the 5th round, because I wouldn't have thought he would have made it to the 6th round.  Turns out he made it to the 6th round and 7th too.  Our secondary will be the weak link of this team this year.  Two injuries and we are dead in the water. 

Same thing with Richardson, wouldn't think he would get past the 6th round, he slid to UDFA, but should have been around a 4th round pick.  Is raw and overweight, but year or two, I would rather bet on him developing than Ulrick.

We only had 5 picks, so I was ready to be disappointed in the end, but I am more disappointed than I thought I would be.

i swear I feel like fans are never satisfied. you demand grigs to protect luck, drafts two o-lineman fans reaction what a stupid pick. fans demand more pass rush, drafts a pass rusher, fans reaction what a stupid pick, fans demand run support, grigs drafts a ILB, fans reaction what a stupid pick  :sigh:  :facepalm:

We might be bottom 5, (I honestly don't think so), but it not because the players we selected, it because of the lack of picks. You live and you learn. But from the choices by Grigson, not counting the 7th rounder, he is more of a prospect than draft pick, I'd give us a solid B with A- Potential.

You do realize by simply taking Nix there is an infinate number of possibilities that would result from changing that one pick on the board. There is no way to know how it would turn out after that...it would have changed everyone's boards. That said...I liked Nix at ND in 2012....2013...he was hurt too much and I'm not sure he will recover...those injuries really hamper productivity of DTs....I'm fine that we passed on him.

Bailey doesn't have the speed or range to be a starter most likely.  But he a terrific and aggressive tackler that would have been a very good back up FS, and a special teams standout.  Some people were saying 3rd round for him.  Getting him in the 5th would have been fine. 

We absolutely need a CB and S, in this draft for depth.  We didn't get a S and we didn't get a CB.  Nothing.

And when T. Reilly is sitting there in the 7th, we couldn't take him because we already took 2 other linebackers......so we took an OL that probably won't even make the practice squad. 

2.  Louis Nix NT Notre Dame:   should have been the choice in the 2nd round.  He had fallen out of late 1st/early 2nd, and would have solidified the NG position along with Chapman.

3.  Bashaud Breeland CB Clemson:  I felt one more CB was needed on the roster. 

5.  Deon Bailey S USC:  He went undrafted, but he would be a great backup FS, and a great special teams player.  I watched the guy for 4 years, he will make an NFL roster for sure.

6. Antonio Richardson T Tennessee:  If he can shed 10 pounds, he is a right guard/right tackle prospect that could eventually be starter material.

7.  Trevor Reilly OLB Utah State:  An absolutely incredible football player.  Looked like a man among boys.  Can't believe he was there at pick 232.  Jets took him right after we picked at 233.  He is a natural 6'5" beast.  Makes plays behind the line of scrimmage.  The steal of the 7th round for the Jets.  We could have had him instead of a OL that's not gonna make the team.  He is 26 years old.  If he was 22 he would have been a 2nd round pick.

I think that would have been a better draft than what we actually did.  I think we are bottom 5 for sure in this draft. 

Maybe you should apply for the job of an NFL team GM, since you seem to know better than those that already have the job.

So, I remember this time, long ago, where people had differing opinions, and that was ok.

Its crazy, I know. Some say places like that even exist still today.

Of course, though, that is all a total lie, and I'm adding nothing with this funny little anecdote, so let's get back to persecuting the OP for his opinion.

Has anyone seen my pitchfork?

This place is a seriously sad mess these days.

i swear I feel like fans are never satisfied. you demand grigs to protect luck, drafts two o-lineman fans reaction what a stupid pick. fans demand more pass rush, drafts a pass rusher, fans reaction what a stupid pick, fans demand run support, grigs drafts a ILB, fans reaction what a stupid pick :sigh::facepalm:

If it not the big name guy that everyone knows or tge guy they really want and think is best then the pick is horrible and a failure. Thats the mindset if many. Little do they know Grigs and all the coaches and scouts have done about 100 times more research and in depth research than any of us. I trust them over any of us. Not that they alwYs nail every pick but who does? Sometimes a guy Doesnt work out.

If it not the big name guy that everyone knows or tge guy they really want and think is best then the pick is horrible and a failure. Thats the mindset if many. Little do they know Grigs and all the coaches and scouts have done about 100 times more research and in depth research than any of us. I trust them over any of us. Not that they alwYs nail every pick but who does? Sometimes a guy Doesnt work out.

which is why everyone loves moncrief because hes a name everyone knows

Did anyone stop to think that many of these players who were supposed to go in the mid to late rounds didn't go because of various other reasons not related to there play? Just something to think about, Some of the Dion Bailey comments in this thread are especially comical

you got to ask yourself...Why is he a name everyone knows

well the media has a lot to do with it. its a sexy pick. sexy picks get the most media time. if you're not a sexy pick and not going in the first or early second, not a lot of people are gonna know about you

well the media has a lot to do with it. its a sexy pick. sexy picks get the most media time. if you're not a sexy pick and not going in the first or early second, not a lot of people are gonna know about you

All true. Plenty of people knew about Moncrief though

I think we had a pretty good draft.  Mewhort adds even more depth to our offensive line, which I think should be much solidified this year. Our ILB depth is crazy right now!  Light years better than what we had last year, tons of young talent with Mcnary, Mwamba, Freeman, and A. Jackson and the addition of Dqwell Jackson.  Now we can get rid of Kelvin Sheppard, and the other scrub from the San Diego game.    Finally I wanted Attochu, but I think Newsome is going to be a very good player for us.  He adds the much needed depth at the Rush Backer that I thought we lacked last year.  Not to mention whatever we may have in Adongo. And last but not least we improved along the defensive line with the addition of Arthur Jones.  I think we are much better this year in the trenches than we were last year.

I think some of the issues we had in the secondary last year were directly related to the deficiencies we had in trenches.  Now that the front seven is much improved I also expect more improvement in the secondary.  As far as adding more people in the secondary goes I am going to keep a close eye on two of the UDFA we just picked up in Qwa Cox and Dewey Mcdonald.  Both of these guys appear to be really solid players who could fit this team like a glove.  There's also quite a bit of time from now until the 1st regular season time for Grigs to pull some strings and bring in some veteran help.  Remember we didn't even get Vontae Davis from the Dolphins until right before the Chicago Bears game a couple years ago.  There's quite a bit of time left to make more additions to the secondary!

Like Pagano says let's respect the process.......

Has anyone seen my pitchfork?

Yes, I have. It's being passed around by quite a few fans who feel the need to skewer the GM for the selections made in this years draft. (not really pointing at this thread's OP) I hope it will be abandoned soon out of boredom so I can return it to you. Likely though, it will used on the GM until one of the players drafted shows any sign of not living up to their "draft slotting value"...then it will be used on that player.

Chances are, you may never get it returned. I hear there's a real epidemic of offensive coordinator skewering going around.

RATE THIS DRAFT A C- ONLY BECAUSE WE GOT RICHARDSON.NO ONE CAN TELL WHOSE GONNA PAN OUT AND WHOSE GONNA FLOP,BUT I REALLY THINK GRIGSON DRAFTS A STRANGE AND HOPES SOMETHING WORKS OUT SO THAT HE CAN BECALLED A GENIUS.THIS WAS A BAD DRAFT

Please don't post in all caps.

Don't necessarily agree with the OP (at all), but I admire the attempt. He gave his reasons for every pick, didn't just say our draft stinks.

As others have said, there's a reason Nix dropped so far. He may end up being a steal, but you have to admit he's a real risk. Plus, IMHO, it wasn't so much a position of need.

I'm surprised Bailey didn't get drafted. Too small to beGlinebacker, too slow to be a DB. Except his game speed seems fine to me, just doesn't have back-end range. But undrafted? Plenty of players have warts, but they also have talent to offset those warts. I thought that was the case with Bailey, and with him falling, I would have used the 7th rounder on him. I'd rather Newsome and Jackson, so the 7th is where he would go. And because he can play special teams, he would be more likely to make the final roster than Ulrick John.

For now, I'm eager to see what we do post June 1, and whether we get a good talent off waivers like we did last year with Rogers.

Yes, I have. It's being passed around by quite a few fans who feel the need to skewer the GM for the selections made in this years draft. (not really pointing at this thread's OP) I hope it will be abandoned soon out of boredom so I can return it to you. Likely though, it will used on the GM until one of the players drafted shows any sign of not living up to their "draft slotting value"...then it will be used on that player.

Chances are, you may never get it returned. I hear there's a real epidemic of offensive coordinator skewering going around.

How about that? I mention persecution for differing opinions around here, and as if on cue it pops right up.

And again I point out what a sad, sorry mess this place is when we can't even have different viewpoints.

The only difference is, this time I have evidence.

You know, when Hitler persecuted others for their ideals and beliefs it was considered a bad thing. The people around here feed on it. In a frenzied manner. And no one says a single word about it.

Debate is a thing of the past. It's been replaced by "that's not my opinion so it wrong an you're stupid".

Such a sad state this place is in.

Don't necessarily agree with the OP (at all), but I admire the attempt. He gave his reasons for every pick, didn't just say our draft stinks.

As others have said, there's a reason Nix dropped so far. He may end up being a steal, but you have to admit he's a real risk. Plus, IMHO, it wasn't so much a position of need.

Yeah. NT isn't a NEED but I think we would be better with an upgrade. Chapman has been solid. It's not a detriment to our team. But if we could get someone capable of causing a little more havoc in the middle, it would really make our front 7 shine IMO.

To me, Chapman is a solid DT in a good 4-3 front.

2. Brooks FS or Nix NT - both would have been better picks then Mewhort and at a greater position of need. Mewhort is a developmental backup RT, he won't start. 

3. Moncrief WR - I like the pick even though we have depth at WR, Moncrief was too good to pass up. 

5. Seastrunk RB - He was rated much higher then Newsome by every NFL analyst and scout draft board except Grigson. We currently have no speed at RB, Bradshaw and Ballard are coming off an injury and Trent is a fullback.

6. Jackson - I like this pick as well, great run defender similar to Spikes. We have a lot of coverage ILB's but no real thumper, Jackson is physical and great at shedding blocks.

7. Seantrel Henderson - I know he has character concerns but the Colts have the veteran leadership to help him. I think he's a better and more talented player then Mewhort. Would have been great for him to sit behind Cherilus two years, it would have made him a better person and player. Ulrich won't make the 53.

All true. Plenty of people knew about Moncrief though

Yea I knew about Moncrief when he was a freshman since I live down south, especially as a sophomore when he destroyed my Texas Longhorns for like 150 yards and like 3 TDs