Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson Confrence call

Legend of Luck

Anybody else see the tweets about this?

He said we're sticking with Holmes and Costa @ center. He said we drafted Holmes to be our Center for the future.

Said he likes Delano Howell.

Said all injured players are coming along. Thinks Donald Thomas will make a big impact, but his injury is moving a bit slower "due to the nature of the injury"

Said he got every free agent he went after. Now is pretty much exclusively watching college tape.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can live with most of this. I think we do need a plan in place for the guard position. I also think Grigs may be playing games a bit. I could see him making one or two more signings before the draft. Nothing flashy, but perhaps some depth.

I also think that Costa could come in here and actually be decent to good. If so, we got a heck of a deal on him.

That said I think we still need a great draft. I think we still need an NT, Guard, and probably another safety. I'm not worried about getting a safety with the second pick. Many experts say this is a very deep safety class. I wouldn't mind taking one in the 5th-7th rounds. Antoine was a 6th if I do recall.

Grigson on D. Thomas: He's getting strength, on right track. Stonger than nine acres of garlic up top. Has chip on shoulder.

— Craig Kelley (@CraigKColts)

March 21, 2014

Grigson on Vinatieri and McAfee back: "They are so talented and reliable. Pat McAfee is a top worker. I don't think people know that."

— Kevin Bowen (@KBowenColts)

March 21, 2014

In terms of injury updates, all positive reports. The one guy who seems on a longer trail is OG Donald Thomas bc of nature of injury

— Stephen Holder (@HolderStephen)

March 21, 2014

Holmes has the physical tools to be a great Center  in my opinion, Size, Long arms, agile, gets to the 2nd level with ease, If he has gained alot strength both in the upper and lower body and has a firm grasp on blocking assignments then I'd expect him to be good. If not I wont be blaming him or Costa for not being able to run the ball

I can live with most of this. I think we do need a plan in place for the guard position. I also think Grigs may be playing games a bit. I could see him making one or two more signings before the draft. Nothing flashy, but perhaps some depth.

I also think that Costa could come in here and actually be decent to good. If so, we got a heck of a deal on him.

That said I think we still need a great draft. I think we still need an NT, Guard, and probably another safety. I'm not worried about getting a safety with the second pick. Many experts say this is a very deep safety class. I wouldn't mind taking one in the 5th-7th rounds. Antoine was a 6th if I do recall.

Yeah Bethea was one of the few late round gems that Polian got right...

Bethea was crucial in the Supoerbowl run, one of my favorite Colts defensive plays to this day is his INT in the endzone of the Ravens playoff FG extravaganza game...

Nose Tackle? I dont know why anyone thinks we need a nose tackle. We brought in Jones for that position, we have Franklin and Chapman...were fine at NT.

I'm sure you're going to ask, so: What happened w Alex Mack? Best I can tell, #Colts looked at it, decided otherwise. Was always a long shot

— Stephen Holder (@HolderStephen)

March 21, 2014

NO MORE MACK THREADS!!!! :yahoo:

:no: :no: No More!

Well...Now we can look forward to Costa sucks threads if he beats out Holmes(If Costa beats out Holmes its a real cause for concern......I have watched Costas games played...Its not pretty...Though he is a slight improvement over Satele). Though I never really got the point in going after Mack given he was tagged.

Well...Now we can look forward to Costa sucks threads if he beats out Holmes(If Costa beats out Holes its a real cause for concern......I have watched Costas games played...Its not pretty...Though he is a slight improvement over Satele). Though I never really got the point in going after Mack given he was tagged.

Durability is a big factor with Holmes. I'd bet Costa will start a gm at some point

Doesn't sound like we'll be bringing in Brian de la Puente or Chris Clemons. I'm not super happy about that, but I trust Grigs and the coaches to be able to evaluate the talent we have on our roster right now.

Here's to hoping Holmes/Costa and Howell/Brown won't suck.

Grigson is lying!!!!! Pagano was at USC talking to marcus Martin C. Our o line coached worked out Nevada's bitonio for guard. We wouldn't have done that if he's satisfied w/ holmes. last year he said he prefers drafting corners and signing o line in free agency. He did the exact opposite. He's doing what good GM's do. Keep the media in the dark.

Well...Now we can look forward to Costa sucks threads if he beats out Holmes(If Costa beats out Holmes its a real cause for concern......I have watched Costas games played...Its not pretty...Though he is a slight improvement over Satele). Though I never really got the point in going after Mack given he was tagged.

if that's the case, then there's a chance I could see the Colts going after Mack next offseason if he were to not resign with Cleveland.

I can live with the center statement.  It is what it is.

It concerns me about Thomas.  We better draft another decent guard.  Actually, if we use our first three picks on O linemen, I wouldn't be upset.

I would.  I'm not exactly thrilled about Howell and Landry running safety duties.  May not be the worst safety duo, but I don't see it being very good either.

if that's the case, then there's a chance I could see the Colts going after Mack next offseason if he were to not resign with Cleveland.

All depends on how Holmes has developed, Even if he hasn't I dont expect we will go after Mack next year

If you read any of the articles on signing Jones, they all say that he will play a lot of time at DT. Also, Im sure we will re-sign Franklin with all the cap room we have if he doesnt get a deal somewhere else.

That is not the same thing.  Jones is capable of playing NT, but if you think he will ever be part of the NT rotation, then you are not understanding the scheme.  

Durability is a big factor with Holmes.

As it is with our LG's, Thomas and Reitz.  There is always (Otis my man?) Nixon.   I would like to see Spencer Long with our 6th, not that coming off of an ACL helps the durability issue.

As it is with our LG's, Thomas and Reitz.  There is always (Otis my man?) Nixon.   I would like to see Spencer Long with our 6th, not that coming off of an ACL helps the durability issue.

Keep in mind, Costa plays Guard as well, so if we start Holmes at C then we have Costa at Guard if needed.

So basically we are standing down from FA with 13 million in cap space left?  

Kind of disappointed, I was hoping he would at least get a free safety.  Hopefully Howell and Holmes are ready to play.  

If the coaches are confident that these guys are ready to start then to me it begs the question of why we arn't using that cap space to make improvements elsewhere.  

Keep in mind, Costa plays Guard as well, so if we start Holmes at C then we have Costa at Guard if needed.

It could very well depend on how Thornton does.  Players are suppose to improve the most going into their 2nd year, so maybe he picks it up and is a decent guard.  

I'm disappointed we didn't do more with the interior line though.  We have so much potential at the skill positions that getting 2 good linemen in FA would make our offense one of the best in the league.  

So basically we are standing down from FA with 13 million in cap space left?  

Kind of disappointed, I was hoping he would at least get a free safety.  Hopefully Howell and Holmes are ready to play.  

If the coaches are confident that these guys are ready to start then to me it begs the question of why we arn't using that cap space to make improvements elsewhere.  

Remember, our left over cap room rolls over to next year. Clearly they feel good with what they have/will have after the draft. If they feel set, its great to get such a big chunk of money for next year in case we sign our 1 year guys again like Nicks and Bradshaw.