Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

bad news for jimmy/Jim Irsay arrested (((merge)))

CantBeStopped

no it won't. It was twelve years ago. This will be treated like a first offense. I have several friends and family members who have had trouble with the law in this state. He won't be seeing any jail time outside of the last two days

Then I hope the NFL takes the Colts away from him and his family.

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the Colts just lost all respect as an organization.  Just went from a team that lots of player want to play for to a team no one with any sense would want to play for.  How does anyone like this team anymore with an owner with these issues.  How do we as fans justify giving our money to an owner with these issues?  As someone pointed out how do any players respect him after this.  I would not be surprised if Luck, Wayne, Hilton, Davis all wanted out of Indianapolis after this. There is no way we are getting anyone we wanted anymore. I can't even imagine that any rookies we draft could want to come  here.  It's a really sad day to be a Colts fan and I feel really sorry for him. I'm just thankful he didn't hurt anyone. Is there any type of precedent to this at all?

Woooooooow! Goodbye common sense, hello extreme delusion.

*Picks up monitor and shakes it like an Etch-A-Sketch*

Nope... still there.

I saw it and I think that is pathetic. People who endanger other people should be locked away for a good long time. I can hope that the other charges will make up for that and buy this fool some serious jail time. The NFL is going to hammer him hard.

Ehhh, you can hope all you want. It isn't going to happen.

If it is all about making money then Jerry Jones is a very good owner.

It's the Cowboys, the status this brings fulfills the moneymaker function regardless of who owns the team.  The actual product itself suggests the Cowboys are ran quite poorly. 

I wonder if Irsay will step down now and let a family member take over. It might be best, just so he can concentrate on getting help. Very bad judgment on his part; it's a good thing no one was hurt. At least he was going slow because it could have been worse had he been speeding.

I have a feeling that the Colts' players will support Irsay throughout this. There was never any tension or problems between players that I'm aware of. it will be interesting to see exactly what Goodell does next.

I have not read through this entire thread, nor do I care to because I am sure that many people have jumped to their own conclusions.

But, I have read enough to know that some of the conclusions that have been made are wrong.  According to the IndyStar:

1.  Alcohol was NOT involved.

2.  Irsay was arrested at 11:41pm . . . not at 3am.  He was booked at 3:07am.

3.  Irsay was not driving like some maniac.  The article that I am linking said that he was driving at a very low rate of speed and failed to signal a turn. 

4.  The drugs in his possession that were not associated with any prescription bottles were Schedule IV prescription drugs which may have been prescribed. 

However, he still failed to pass several roadside sobriety tests according to the arresting officer.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/03/17/-colts-owner-jim-irsay-arrested-on-dui-charge/6515267/

wow,

so I don't need to over react???

is Goodell still  gonna shut down the Colts for a season & take  back the Superbowl win???

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, March 17, 2014 - personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, March 17, 2014 - personal shot

It's the Cowboys, the status this brings fulfills the moneymaker function regardless of who owns the team.  The actual product itself suggests the Cowboys are ran quite poorly.

You're delusional.

Kravitz was just on SC. Said it's been going on for a few years now. He said several close to Irsay have been trying to get him back into rehab. He did also say that he's had various health problems over the past few years, as I talked about earlier in this thread. 

This is rock bottom for him. 

It's all about where he goes from here.

I saw it and I think that is pathetic. People who endanger other people should be locked away for a good long time. I can hope that the other charges will make up for that and buy this fool some serious jail time. The NFL is going to hammer him hard.

Then I hope the NFL takes the Colts away from him and his family.

seriousy great quotes...

the fact that these comments may not be sarcasm is even funnier...

Really? How so?  Unless Jim gets off free and clear, is he not already paying a price as a consequence for his actions? And there is more to come?  Should not players also have to pay a price commiserate with their own infractions? Nobody is immune. Jim Irsay is proof.

I don't think you understood my intent.  I am not saying players or Irsay SHOULDN'T be punished.  Nor am I suggesting anything about any price Irsay may or not have to pay for his actions.

I am saying that approaching players with a "you must protect the horseshoe at all cost" and a "your behavior/misbehavior is a reflection on this organization, and you will be expected to maintain its shining integrity at all times" has lost its legs.  The person with the highest position in the team didn't uphold his own standards to that end, and didn't lead by example.

I am merely expressing a concern that this little incident might very well disrupt some of the team's ability to hold players to a higher standard (thereby avoiding punishable behavior), based on integrity of ownership and staff.

I have not read through this entire thread, nor do I care to because I am sure that many people have jumped to their own conclusions.

But, I have read enough to know that some of the conclusions that have been made are wrong.  According to the IndyStar:

1.  Alcohol was NOT involved.

2.  Irsay was arrested at 11:41pm . . . not at 3am.  He was booked at 3:07am.

3.  Irsay was not driving like some maniac.  The article that I am linking said that he was driving at a very low rate of speed and failed to signal a turn. 

4.  The drugs in his possession that were not associated with any prescription bottles were Schedule IV prescription drugs which may have been prescribed. 

However, he still failed to pass several roadside sobriety tests according to the arresting officer.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/03/17/-colts-owner-jim-irsay-arrested-on-dui-charge/6515267/

I am gonna bump this because it seems like some people haven't read it yet...

I don't think you understood my intent.  I am not saying players or Irsay SHOULDN'T be punished.  Nor am I suggesting anything about any price Irsay may or not have to pay for his actions.

I am saying that approaching players with a "you must protect the horseshoe at all cost" and a "your behavior/misbehavior is a reflection on this organization, and you will be expected to maintain its shining integrity at all times" has lost its legs.  The person with the highest position in the team didn't uphold his own standards to that end, and didn't lead by example.

I am merely expressing a concern that this little incident might very well disrupt some of the team's ability to hold players to a higher standard (thereby avoiding punishable behavior), based on integrity of ownership and staff.

This is true. It's also immaterial. 

Irsay has made himself a hypocrite, but he's also the owner of the team. Different standard. He can't be cut. So it doesn't matter. And it's not a reason for the team to lessen their standards as it pertains to the players or any other employees. It's probably a reason for them to be even more restrictive.

This story is precisely what I was talking about regarding OxyContin.

So sorry to hear about all this.

yeah, that's why i refuse to touch the things. i got prescribed some for when i broke my collarbone back in high school and just threw the prescription away, from what i understand they are the purest form of heroine known to man. it's sad to see people go through withdrawal as well, my dad has been clean for a little over a year and he told me when he was detoxing, he felt like he was going to die. i just don't see how something like that can just be given out like candy. it blows my mind.

yeah, that's why i refuse to touch the things. i got prescribed some for when i broke my collarbone back in high school and just threw the prescription away, from what i understand they are the purest form of heroine known to man. it's sad to see people go through withdrawal as well, my dad has been clean for a little over a year and he told me when he was detoxing, he felt like he was going to die. i just don't see how something like that can just be given out like candy. it blows my mind.

responsible doctors don't just hand it out. I had knee surgery a few years ago. My surgeon have me four days worth and that was it. 8 pills. Some doctors will give a month worth for the same procedure

Kravitz was just on SC. Said it's been going on for a few years now. He said several close to Irsay have been trying to get him back into rehab. He did also say that he's had various health problems over the past few years, as I talked about earlier in this thread. 

This is rock bottom for him. 

It's all about where he goes from here.

I was wondering if this was ongoing, or just a relapse.  Addiction is a tough thing to beat and is incredibly ugly.  If you haven't dealt with it you cannot possibly understand it, heck even the users usually don't even if they are self aware.   While it's horrible to endanger other people's lives you don't think of it when you do it, you don't realize how stupid you are being until after the drugs/alcohol wear off.  Luckily no one else was harmed.   Hopefully he does the right thing and tries to get cleaned up.  He has done it before, and unlike his father has at least tried to do the right things. 

I'm definitely not the biggest Irsay supporter, but sheesh man. If the NFL didn't take the Colts from Robert in 1984 no way in heck Jim loses them over DUI.

I suspect certain people here just want them to take the team away from Irsay so that the new owner can fire Grigson and Pagano, bring back Polian, and hire Jon Gruden.

If you are not in possession of your prescription (The labeled bottle) you are violating the law.

See above. Federal Law mandates that if you have a prescription, any prescription- it must be in a labelled container, be it a bag, capsule dram, syringe etc. Unlabeled medications outside of a pharmacy/manufacturer/compounder are in violation of the law.

You are correct. But if he has a script It will be a lesser charge than felony possession.

So the Colts just lost all respect as an organization.  Just went from a team that lots of player want to play for to a team no one with any sense would want to play for.  How does anyone like this team anymore with an owner with these issues.  How do we as fans justify giving our money to an owner with these issues?  As someone pointed out how do any players respect him after this.  I would not be surprised if Luck, Wayne, Hilton, Davis all wanted out of Indianapolis after this. There is no way we are getting anyone we wanted anymore. I can't even imagine that any rookies we draft could want to come  here.  It's a really sad day to be a Colts fan and I feel really sorry for him. I'm just thankful he didn't hurt anyone. Is there any type of precedent to this at all?

Are you for real. The man made a mistake. The colts locker room, players, coaches, and fans should not loss respect for this man. if we are as tight of a team that we say we are everyone in the organization will help and support Jimmy during this hard time and struggle that he is battling with. Jimmy has done a lot of good things for this team, city, state, people who are in need of help, etc. Don't let one incident change all that. Jimmy I hope that you learn and overcome this hard time and I support you. Good luck and lets begin the next step forward.    

seriousy great quotes...

the fact that these comments may not be sarcasm is even funnier...

Just so you can laugh your heartiest at a man who could have killed multiple people with this action, I can assure you that there was no sarcasm in my comments. I am tired of this Bozo and I want new ownership for the Colts NOW!!

I hope your dad gets things straighten out. Ive seen what this crap can do to people's lives and it ain't pretty. Of course I don't need to tell you that, you know better than most.

If I may......

Everyone on this planet since the dawn of time has issues.    Everyone.

I've got 'em,  you've got 'em,  we all do.

The Pope has them,  your spouse them,   all of us do.    No one is untouched from some level of personal problems.

Even owners of NFL teams, including Jim Irsay. 

If I knew Mr. Irsay I'd recommend that he go to the best rehab facility money can buy for 90 days.    90 days. 

Not 30 days like most do.   Not 60 days like some do.    If you really want to beat this demon,  increase your chances and go for 90 days.    Change your life.

Odds are every person on this website knows someone who has an on-going battle with either drugs or alcohol or both.  The six degrees of separation thing works.    It's closer than you think.    A little understanding goes a long way.

The Colts will not lose a draft pick.   Free Agents will not stop wanting to come here.    Irsay will probably be fined and he may even be suspended for a month or two or three.    Good.   That's when he should go to rehab and clean-up his life.   Best thing for him.     Really.     Seriously.

And when he gets done with rehab,   everyone here should be happy for him.    Proud of him.    Support him.

We're talking about the hardest thing in the world.    Beating your personal demons while living in the public spotlight.

This is not nearly as bad as some here are making it out to be.    This is all called life.    Sooner or later,  it catches up to all of us.

Sorry to get preachy....   but I thought some here needed a large dose of this.............

Best wishes for Mr. Irsay and thanks for all he's done for the Colts and Indianapolis and the state of Indiana!     :thmup:

I was wondering if this was ongoing, or just a relapse.  Addiction is a tough thing to beat and is incredibly ugly.  If you haven't dealt with it you cannot possibly understand it, heck even the users usually don't even if they are self aware.   While it's horrible to endanger other people's lives you don't think of it when you do it, you don't realize how stupid you are being until after the drugs/alcohol wear off.  Luckily no one else was harmed.   Hopefully he does the right thing and tries to get cleaned up.  He has done it before, and unlike his father has at least tried to do the right things. 

Yeah, he also mentioned that Irsay was in denial that he had a problem.

I find it all a little strange, however. I believe this is a long-standing problem, but kravitz' sudden expertise on it doesn't make any sense. He's either known all of this unreported for a while, or he's talking out of his butt, making it up as he goes. 

I'd really like to know what he has against the Colts and Irsay, why the Star has kept him around for so long when he obviously doesn't enjoy the Colts. 

Sadly, not too surprising.  I hope this will shock him back into rehab, but when you have other medical conditions that need the exact same drugs you're addicted to.......man, just a tough deal.

I'm also surprised at some of the vindictiveness on this board.  Some sound like BALTIMORE Colts fans!  Irsay may act the fool, but from what I can tell, he treated people well and was a good supporter of his team and city.  Why all the hate?

As far as this incident making it harder to hold players accountable, I doubt it matters in that regard.  If this had been Pagano, then yes, big problems.

Hope the best for Jim.

Just so you can laugh your heartiest at a man who could have killed multiple people with this action, I can assure you that there was no sarcasm in my comments. I am tired of this Bozo and I want new ownership for the Colts NOW!!

hmmmm, too bad. Unless you have a billion dollars laying around

Wish in one hand...

OK, I see better now. But still, one can point to the owner and the negative items of what his actions have brought on the organization. And that is the reason 'nobody' in the organization is exempt.  Because of the damage to the team and NFL.

Now we just have to see how this plays out.  I have transferred prescription Rx into small empty aspirin bottle for travel, or into a daily pill tray. Have to modify that going forward.  But they aren't controlled substances, either. So I can see s possibility he does have a script, but not be in the correct container.  For his sake, I hope that is the case, then it is just the DUI impact and whatever lessor charge for not having Rx bottle would entail.