Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

bad news for jimmy/Jim Irsay arrested (((merge)))

CantBeStopped

Irsay wish u well go get some rest and get healthy.  I smoked cigs for about seven yrs and had a really hard time quitting.  done for three yrs and don't even think about them anymore but it was hard. I cant even imagine being addicted to pain killers since nicotine was so hard to kick.

Nicotine is an addiction also so congratulations on quitting. :thmup:

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, we're not losing a draft pick. 

I'm not trying to say I want it or it's absolutely justified but why do you think not? A fine is a slap on the wrist to an owner...its tax deductable....it plays no incentive/deturant at all to send a message to Jim or other owners on such behavior...however losing draft pick would.

Defend this man all you want. I don't care what happened, I care about what could have happened. Have you ever had a child step out on the street or swerve on a bicycle and made you have to brake for them? A man impaired like Irsay would not be able to do that. I don't care that it was 11:30 at night. This guy has been driving day and night in this situation. Now, if he ran over that person like you say and he was impaired it would certainly be his fault. He was supposed to be able to stop. Now, tell someone else to shut up because that isn't going to work with me.

I had a buddy who was on the spectrum, he was granted his driver's license yet failed at least two field sobriety tests while stone cold sober...

perspective is a glorious thing...

The Irsay's will still own the the Colts, no draft picks will be lost,

at worst the precedent set in 2010 with Tom Lewand's $100,000 fine, 30 day suspension (whatever that means for an owner), and community service, should be the protocol in this situation...

It's cool to hate Jim, but saying he deserves to "lose" the team over this is over the top...

Some of you seem quite certain the Colts won't be losing a draft pick.  I'm curious what evidence or facts you have to be so certain.  I really hope the organization doesn't lose a draft pick but I'm unsure whether it will happen or not.  I'm not disagreeing with you that they won't I'm just asking for what evidence or facts you have that it won't happen.

Because I can't think of an instance where that sanction was used for conduct outside the game itself.

I'm not trying to say I want it or it's absolutely justified but why do you think not? A fine is a slap on the wrist to an owner...its tax deductable....it plays no incentive/deturant at all to send a message to Jim or other owners on such behavior...however losing draft pick would.

did the broncos lose draft picks when two of their execs got DUI's?

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_23663809/broncos-dui-arrests-lead-suspensions-matt-russell-tom

Some of you seem quite certain the Colts won't be losing a draft pick. I'm curious what evidence or facts you have to be so certain. I really hope the organization doesn't lose a draft pick but I'm unsure whether it will happen or not. I'm not disagreeing with you that they won't I'm just asking for what evidence or facts you have that it won't happen.

The closest thing to precedent is the two Denver FO guys who had DUI's and Denver didn't have any draft picks taken away from them.

Plus it seems they only take away draft picks for violations that yield what the league perceives as a competitive advantage. Clearly not the case here.

did the broncos lose draft picks when two of their execs got DUI's?

Well you can't compare apples to oranges and DUI  is different from DUI and a control substance tacked on.  I can't see loosing a draft pick but I imagine it will depend on what the final charges are and the outcome. What I read is that the control substance is a felony. Let's hope it's just a 90 day suspension so then he could go to rehab and get better.  I'm sure his daughters can run things until he can get back.

Some of you seem quite certain the Colts won't be losing a draft pick.  I'm curious what evidence or facts you have to be so certain.  I really hope the organization doesn't lose a draft pick but I'm unsure whether it will happen or not.  I'm not disagreeing with you that they won't I'm just asking for what evidence or facts you have that it won't happen.

this should be the precedent...

In 2010, Detroit Lions President Tom Lewand was suspended for 30 days and fined $100,000 after pleading guilty to driving while impaired, which league officials called a violation of the NFL's personal conduct policy. Lewand also performed community service.

Could be less as charges could be dropped if Irsay was in fact only under the influence of prescribed pain killers...

The closest thing to precedent is the two Denver FO guys who had DUI's and Denver didn't have any draft picks taken away from them.

Plus it seems they only take away draft picks for violations that yield what the league perceives as a competitive advantage. Clearly not the case here.

Thank you for answering my question. I guess I'm just more uncertain because I'm not sure how you suspend an owner and from the research I've done this is an unprecedented case.  I really hope you are right though.

I can think of only a few times that a team has lost a draft pick, the Patriots'* for cheating and the Saints paying guys' to take out other player's ACLs.

I'll try to do some more research, but I don't think a team has ever lost a draft pick for anything that wasn't considered a competitive advantage. 

This really shouldnt surprise anyone. Jim is an embarrassment to the Colts organization. And it's obvious he's had a drug problem for quite awhile now.

I hope for his family, friends, the Colts organization, and most importantly himself, he gets the help he needs to overcome his addiction!

Football should be the least of his worries right now. He should step aside and let the people he pays good money too take over until he gets well.

Good luck Mr. Irsay, and please get well soon.

Well you can't compare apples to oranges and DUI is different from DUI and a control substance tacked on. I can't see loosing a draft pick but I imagine it will depend on what the final charges are and the outcome. What I read is that the control substance is a felony. Let's hope it's just a 90 day suspension so then he could go to rehab and get better. I'm sure his daughters can run things until he can get back.

It is different, but I really don't see the league taking away draft picks unless they feel a competitive advantage was gained.

Well you can't compare apples to oranges and DUI  is different from DUI and a control substance tacked on.  I can't see loosing a draft pick but I imagine it will depend on what the final charges are and the outcome. What I read is that the control substance is a felony. Let's hope it's just a 90 day suspension so then he could go to rehab and get better.  I'm sure his daughters can run things until he can get back.

At the same time a DUI and a DUI of "prescribed" painkillers is a lot different also, if it comes out that he is in possession of prescriptions...

Ozzy Osbourne said kicking cigarettes was harder than kicking heroin

I have only been addicted to cigarettes never even taken a pain killer even when I was prescribed them when I got my wisdom teeth out.  Anyway Im sure pain killers are really hard to kick. 

I can think of only a few times that a team has lost a draft pick, the Patriots'* for cheating and the Saints paying guys' to take out other player's ACLs.

I'll try to do some more research, but I don't think a team has ever lost a draft pick for anything that wasn't considered a competitive advantage.

The only other times I can think of were when the broncos got pinched for some salary cap shenanigans and back in the 70s the dolphins lost a first rounder for hiring Shula away from the colts without permission.

Posted · Hidden by 21isSuperman, March 17, 2014 - personal shot
Hidden by 21isSuperman, March 17, 2014 - personal shot

This really shouldnt surprise anyone. Jim is an embarrassment to the Colts organization. And it's obvious he's had a drug problem for quite awhile now.

I hope for his family, friends, the Colts organization, and most importantly himself, he gets the help he needs to overcome his addiction!

Football should be the least of his worries right now. He should step aside and let the people he pays good money too take over until he gets well.

Good luck Mr. Irsay, and please get well soon.

You are a bigger embarrassment posting this drivel.

preliminary counts

Of possession of Schedule IV substances.

Which is really the least-felonious felony you can be charged with.  I meant that literally, possession is a Class D felony in Indiana, the lowest class of felony, and schedule IV substances are the lowest level substance you can be charged with a felony for possession of.

"Although we can condemn the action because it's detrimental to society, that has nothing to do with Jim Irsay."

NOTHING to do with Jim Irsay? I'm confused.. Are you saying that this action was not Jim's fault? Because free will is a delusion (as you say)? If so, then it is a complete and utter injustice that he was arrested. Agreed?

If we (and we includes the law) condemn the action, but accept that it has "nothing to do" with the addicted individual that committed the action, then you have no choice but to agree. Or am I mising something?

EDIT: Btw that isn't a Jim-bashing post. I hope he recovers. We all have our demons, myself included. What my post is about is a challenge to your philosophy, not an attack on Jim Irsay

The only other times I can think of were when the broncos got pinched for some salary cap shenanigans and back in the 70s the dolphins lost a first rounder for hiring Shula away from the colts without permission.

I think it happens occasionally in tampering situations as well.

For all the people that want to trash Jim now remember you're not perfect either.  You have no right to judge him. I guarantee most of you have something going on in your life/past that you would be embarrassed of if the public got ahold of the info.  Having an addiction speaks nothing of a man's true character.  Was he not there for Chuck and others in the Colts organization when they were fighting personal battles?  That's what a real man does!

I don't look down on him one bit for getting in trouble, as I have a felony also (for drugs and an addiction).  I am constantly fighting the battle to this day of getting my felony expunged, which will be done within a year.  I have went above and beyond to clear my name and reputation from addictions and stereotypes I struggled with for years at a very low point in my life.

So as this thing moves forward, I stand behind him with full support (as I hope Colts fans would also).  For that man has given us all something to be proud of, a very talented football team that has given it's fan base something to cheer for and care about.  He continues to put his money to good use to support a team and do what it takes to make their fans happy!   I think it's about time some of you quick blaming the mistakes he made and start supporting him on his road to recovery.

Hope you seek treatment Mr. Irsay, and know the majority of the Colts fans are behind you as well is the organization.  Get well soon because the monster is almost built and we have future Super Bowls to celebrate!

I had a buddy who was on the spectrum, he was granted his driver's license yet failed at least two field sobriety tests while stone cold sober...

perspective is a glorious thing...

The Irsay's will still own the the Colts, no draft picks will be lost,

at worst the precedent set in 2010 with Tom Lewand's $100,000 fine, 30 day suspension (whatever that means for an owner), and community service, should be the protocol in this situation...

It's cool to hate Jim, but saying he deserves to "lose" the team over this is over the top...

Thanks for the info. I wondered what had or if anything had happened in the past....that said the NFL has definately been trying to clean up its image and may want to set an example to deter this from ever happening again. Billionares really have no excuse for not seeking help or a driver or call a limo. I still wouldn't be surprised to see them set an example of Jim if this comes out to not be legal medication.

I think it happens occasionally in tampering situations as well.

Correct. Draft picks have been taken many times and the Patriots didn't receive the largest fine in league history. I don't see the Colts losing a pick but the nut case is going to open his wallet for sure. I don't see anyone with the team respecting him. This is a real problem for the organization. 

I fully understand but money is nothing to billionares...if your wanting to set an example..and we know Goodell does...it wouldn't surprise me. How is a couple thousand dollars hurting Jim?? Community service that he already does. Really the only way to wake someone up or get their attention is to hit them where it hurts..and thats the team.

Any other team I would support a draft pick...I can't say I would be shocked if they did that to us...we get outraged over players doing this crap...an owner is just rediculous...my heart says no (I love the Colts) but my head says they should.

I fully understand but money is nothing to billionares...if your wanting to set an example..and we know Goodell does...it wouldn't surprise me. How is a couple thousand dollars hurting Jim?? Community service that he already does. Really the only way to wake someone up or get their attention is to hit them where it hurts..and thats the team.

Goodell doesn't make the decisions. He's a puppet for the 32 owners in the NFL. The owners aren't going to set a precedent like that. Taking picks for off the field incidents is a slippery slope. 

Everyone wants to be the judge and the jury when they are not the one on trial. Nobody is perfect period. So quit acting like you're squeaky clean. I wish the same people that's condemning  everyone when they're do something wrong have their secrets projected overhead of them while they speaking negatively. 

Correct. Draft picks have been taken many times and the Patriots didn't receive the largest fine in league history. I don't see the Colts losing a pick but the nut case is going to open his wallet for sure. I don't see anyone with the team respecting him. This is a real problem for the organization. 

What is there that is so disrespectful about a guy who has had several surgeries using pain killers... I am sure most of the players have been shot up with pain killers during the season...

Jim shouldn't have been out driving, but to say the team is gonna lose respect for a very charitable and caring guy seems crazy...

Any other team I would support a draft pick...I can't say I would be shocked if they did that to us...we get outraged over players doing this crap...an owner is just rediculous...my heart says no (I love the Colts) but my head says they should.

it will be a huge fine. bud adams was fined 250 grand for flipping off bills fans