Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

bad news for jimmy/Jim Irsay arrested (((merge)))

CantBeStopped

I disagree. Just my opinion, but for someone who just had SERIOUS orthopedic surgeries, for him to have only been found with low level pain killers is not as bad as it could have been.

I agree, especially since it is a known fact that he had Oxy prescriptions in 2002.  That was amongst the list of 120 prescriptions given to Irsay in one year through Nora via Dr. Chernoff.  But schedule IV only with this would be far less a concern.  It all stinks, it would just stink less.  I hope he gets healthy soon.

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So am I the only thinking it would be a huge mistake for the Colts not to make this sort of thing a "pet cause" to promote? Not just as a PR move but I think it could be incredibly supportive for people to know that even people like Jim Irsay can struggle with this kind of thing. Not to mention scrippies are becoming a fairly serious problem.

Personally it seems like a tremendous opportunity to make some lemonade and chicken salad out if the situation.

This is a fantastic idea. And this is not sarcasm

So much for presumption of innocence before you've been found guilty in a court of law, a technicality maybe in this case but still an important one.

This is the information age, and the court of public opinion is swift to justice and getting it 'out there' via social media. Thank goodness those decisions are not binding and the judicial system still reigns.

This is the information age, and the court of public opinion is swift to justice and getting it 'out there' via social media. Thank goodness those decisions are not binding and the judicial system still reigns.

For now... Soon the judicial system will be Simon Cowell and text voting on your innocence or guilt :P

Because punishing addicts has been proven to work so well.... Yes he did wrong and yes he needs to take responsibility for his actions but some people are acting like he calmly and in full possession of his mind went out on a puppies and rainbow drops killing spree.

Sigh, it's a tough distinction to make, but there is a difference between a "criminal" and someone you breaks the law by stupidity.

I repeat again we really need to know the full facts before we can speculate. Some of the posts on here are nothing more than trash journalism opinion pieces.

I agree with a lot of that.

I mostly want to know why people struggle with understanding that people don't always go to jail just because the law says they can. Most people -- not just people with money and connections and privilege -- get a break from the system, especially when no one has been physically or materially harmed. Most people -- including the broke as a joke guy down the street -- don't do time over a DUI or DWI, not on a first offense.

So I'm not sure what "punished accordingly" is supposed to mean. Should he get 12 years for having four pills? Seems like an awful waste of resources.

Maybe this is a discussion for another day also. I just don't get all the "throw the book at him" comments.

THE TEAM will NOT be punished.  He was on his own time, doing personal things. 

Taking away draft picks is when the coach of the team, using company assets and time, videotapes another team during practice.  Or, a team's coach puts a bounty on opposing players.

Irsay may have some problems with the NFL's substance abuse policy, and that is the avenue the NFL will punish him.  First time offense? 

They're not going to take draft picks away from the Colts because its owner buys prescription pills illegaly or has an addiction problem.

If Irsay was in his present condition at an NFL owners meeting, and dropped to the floor and licked Erin Andrews' toes while she was interviewing him, THAT might be cause for punishing the team, since he was acting on NFL time at an NFL event and behaving in a way that was detrimental to the league.

Mr. Irsay, our thoughts and prayers are for you and your family.  You are appreciated by all Colts fans, as the best owner of an NFL franchise, and we Colts fans appreciate all your efforts to build a team we can be so proud of. 

He could have killed multiple people going 10 miles an hour?

I'm sure homeland security was all over it.

Yeah well he could have definitely bruised them.

He was going 10!  Had he hit a squirrel, it would have lived.  :)

"Hey man, you scuffed my new sneakers"

I don't like the troll dude or defend anything he says but: 

10 years ago my little brother was riding his tricycle and he got run over by someone going 8mph in his sedan. The guy ran a red light, crushed my little brothers skull and killed him fairly quickly. He was found to be under the influence of a myriad of prescription meds. 

Although unlikely that it would do any serious damage, it's not really a laughing matter to make jokes about. But that's your prerogative I suppose. 

I don't like the troll dude or defend anything he says but:

10 years ago my little brother was riding his tricycle and he got run over by someone going 8mph in his sedan. The guy ran a red light, crushed my little brothers skull and killed him fairly quickly. He was found to be under the influence of a myriad of prescription meds.

Although unlikely that it would do any serious damage, it's not really a laughing matter to make jokes about. But that's your prerogative I suppose.

that is certainly terrible but how can someone run a red light and only be going 8 mph?

What does "punished accordingly" mean?

If he is found guilty then hopefully he'll carry out whatever his punishment is? Pretty straightforward phrase if you ask me. 

Are you really defending the troll I was talking to? Maybe before you quote me you should go back and read more than 5% of the conversation we had.

You are in way over your head Gabriel.

I'm not defending him at all, I'm just saying if he is found guilty etc. that he should have to deal with the consequences. That guy being a troll or not doesn't have a bearing on what i'm trying to say. 

So much for presumption of innocence before you've been found guilty in a court of law, a technicality maybe in this case but still an important one.

This is all assuming he is guilty of his charges of course. For now it seems like he had some Medications mixed around and/or didn't have the prescription for all of them on hand.

THE TEAM will NOT be punished.  He was on his own time, doing personal things. 

Taking away draft picks is when the coach of the team, using company assets and time, videotapes another team during practice.  Or, a team's coach puts a bounty on opposing players.

Irsay may have some problems with the NFL's substance abuse policy, and that is the avenue the NFL will punish him.  First time offense? 

They're not going to take draft picks away from the Colts because its owner buys prescription pills illegaly or has an addiction problem.

If Irsay was in his present condition at an NFL owners meeting, and dropped to the floor and licked Erin Andrews' toes while she was interviewing him, THAT might be cause for punishing the team, since he was acting on NFL time at an NFL event and behaving in a way that was detrimental to the league.

I believe the NFL will take violation of the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy as the vehicle to punishment.  The odd thing, players say they are watching to make sure J. Irasy doesn't skate on this.  And while 1st time player offender might lose 1/2 a game check (up to 50k) and no suspension, Irsay may be hit with a suspension and a heavy fine (I expect between 250k and up to 1 million) for the same offense.  It is the precedence Goodell set.  The higher up the hiearchy in the FO you are, the harsher the punishments for same offense. The fact the players are looking on is ludicrous.  J.I will get serious punishment, but it won't be liquidate your asset and get out of our (NFL) lives.

If he is found guilty then hopefully he'll carry out whatever his punishment is? Pretty straightforward phrase if you ask me. 

If you think that's a straightforward statement, you have an overly simplistic view of the legal system. I don't mean to be condescending.

Shocked like  most by this occurance.   First instinct is outrage and disgust that he would do such a thing.   However,  don't like to jump to conclusions and judge someone without all the facts and information.  Glad that he was stopped and no one was hurt or injured.   Sure that more details will be coming out later today/tomorrow.   He hasn't looked well for quite some time and none of us know the pressures and issues in his personal life.   Hopefully he steps back and takes the steps needed to get himself back on track and well.

Yes CM51, I agree 100% with your sentiments here. In situations like this, I care about the wellbeing of the person & nothing else not twitter, not camera time, not being a provocative owner I just want to see that Mr. Irsay gets the professional treatment he needs. I have a cousin in CA who was in & out of drugs & alcohol rehab a lot so I am aware that there are no easy solutions here. Get well Jim. I appreciate your love for your fan base & your devotion to the city of Indianapolis. My respect for you has not diminished or faded at all. Just keep getting treatment. I really don't want to see you accidentally kill somebody in a traffic fatality or perish yourself. 

We all fall from time to time, but it takes real courage to keep getting up. Stay strong Jim, take responsibility for your shortcomings, & your fan base will still be here to support you once you are better.   

I agree with a lot of that.

I mostly want to know why people struggle with understanding that people don't always go to jail just because the law says they can. Most people -- not just people with money and connections and privilege -- get a break from the system, especially when no one has been physically or materially harmed. Most people -- including the broke as a joke guy down the street -- don't do time over a DUI or DWI, not on a first offense.

So I'm not sure what "punished accordingly" is supposed to mean. Should he get 12 years for having four pills? Seems like an awful waste of resources.

Maybe this is a discussion for another day also. I just don't get all the "throw the book at him" comments.

You are absolutely right. The judicial system actually shows some compassion to someone who's not a hardened criminal. That's not to say he won't be punished, but I highly doubt it will be the Spanish Inquisition that some on here would love to see. My guess is he will lose his license for a year he'll have to do substance abuse counciling and probably house arrest. I would be suprised if he sees the inside of a jail again as long as he doesn't violate any court ordered terms

You are absolutely right. The judicial system actually shows some compassion to someone who's not a hardened criminal. That's not to say he won't be punished, but I highly doubt it will be the Spanish Inquisition that some on here would love to see. My guess is he will lose his license for a year he'll have to do substance abuse counciling and probably house arrest. I would be suprised if he sees the inside of a jail again as long as he doesn't violate any court ordered terms

They usually don't hit you with the suspended license on a first offense, not for a year, at least. I know a couple people who have two or three DUIs, and still didn't get suspended. They had ignition interlock devices installed in their cars and had to do counseling and pay a big fine. None of them are rich or well connected, just regular people.

I'm not defending him at all, I'm just saying if he is found guilty etc. that he should have to deal with the consequences. That guy being a troll or not doesn't have a bearing on what i'm trying to say. 

I don't see anybody advocating Irsay not carrying out punishment, as determined by a trial of his peers. By there is a guy who (without all facts in) saying the Team should be taken from him, his license taken away so he may drive ever again, and to go rot for a period in a jail cell.  Other pointing out what circumstances were under the arrest.  Also, as pointed out by others, this is a crime of stupidity via chemical influence; not harmful intent.  OTOH, even crime of intent have levels of punishment.  IE: gun laws in FL.  Yes, am much as the stand your ground has gotten the attention, FL also has the 10-20-life law.  Show a gun during a crime, a minimum 10 years. Shoot the weapon (but not at nor hitting anyone) and it is minimum of 20.  Shoot and injure/kill someone, then it is minimum 25 up to life; determined by the injury/fatality.  These are much more harsh than DUI, but still graded on an offense level.

Irsay should not (nor will not) get the (reduced) equivalent of the 25-life sentence for a 10 crime. That's all others are saying.

An alcoholic is always an alcoholic, that's the danger.

Yes, that true VL. But, I don't throw people away just because an addiction has thrown them down a deep hole either. To quote "Shawshank Redemption" : "Get busy livin' or get busy dyin.'" 

No, not every addict can be saved, but there is nobility in a prolonged resurrection journey too. If I were to spiral downward, I would hope that someone would try to catch me & not give up on me either under similar circumstances. 

Roll through a red light at 8mph. 

Any arguments about speed are moot if he was under the influence.

There's not really any argument. The speed he was going is the speed he was going.

No one is trying to justify or make light of what happened. What some of us are trying to do is discuss what actually happened (being arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence while driving at low speeds and not using a turn signal while in possession of a small number of prescription medicine pills) versus what some people are acting like happened (Jim Irsay drove over 10 people in a feeble attempt to quench his insatiable bloodlust.)

That doesn't make what he did right or acceptable, but let's just judge the man by what he actually did.

There's not really any argument. The speed he was going is the speed he was going.

No one is trying to justify or make light of what happened. What some of us are trying to do is discuss what actually happened (being arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence while driving at low speeds and not using a turn signal while in possession of a small number of prescription medicine pills) versus what some people are acting like happened (Jim Irsay drove over 10 people in a feeble attempt to quench his insatiable bloodlust.)

That doesn't make what he did right or acceptable, but let's just judge the man by what he actually did.

I saw an argument about how 10mph isn't dangerous.  If he was under the influence (of anything) it is morally reprehensible. 

The problem for the NFL is the owners ARE the NFL and have been handing out fines and suspensions for this type of behavior. Suspensions hurt teams and not just players. The Bob McNairs and Jerry Richardson's will take this very seriously. 

I saw an argument about how 10mph isn't dangerous.  If he was under the influence (of anything) it is morally reprehensible. 

The problem for the NFL is the owners ARE the NFL and have been handing out fines and suspensions for this type of behavior. Suspensions hurt teams and not just players. The Bob McNairs and Jerry Richardson's will take this very seriously. 

It's not that it can't be dangerous, some of us were just pointing out that, statistically speaking, a vehicle impacting a pedestrian at 10 miles per hour or under is extremely unlikely to cause a fatality.  Can it?  Yes.  But the point is, the rate of speed makes an enormous difference.  Not in terms of DUI prosecution, since it's strict liability (assuming intoxication is voluntary), but if we're talking morality, a guy under the influence creeping home way under the speed limit is being negligent, a guy under the influence screaming down the road at twice the speed limit is demonstrating rather depraved recklessness.

Unlikely to be fatal is not the same as saying it's not dangerous.

Unlikely to be fatal is not the same as saying it's not dangerous.

I guess I meant I didn't see the point of such discussion. Whatever statistics of "10% expected fatalities of pedestrians struck at 16 mph" probably weren't based on drivers under the influence. I've been stuck behond drunks weaving on the freeway doing 25 mph. I never thought to myself "Gee well at least he isn't doing 80"

Perhaps I should, I dunno. 

I don't see anybody advocating Irsay not carrying out punishment, as determined by a trial of his peers. By there is a guy who (without all facts in) saying the Team should be taken from him, his license taken away so he may drive ever again, and to go rot for a period in a jail cell.  Other pointing out what circumstances were under the arrest.  Also, as pointed out by others, this is a crime of stupidity via chemical influence; not harmful intent.  OTOH, even crime of intent have levels of punishment.  IE: gun laws in FL.  Yes, am much as the stand your ground has gotten the attention, FL also has the 10-20-life law.  Show a gun during a crime, a minimum 10 years. Shoot the weapon (but not at nor hitting anyone) and it is minimum of 20.  Shoot and injure/kill someone, then it is minimum 25 up to life; determined by the injury/fatality.  These are much more harsh than DUI, but still graded on an offense level.

Irsay should not (nor will not) get the (reduced) equivalent of the 25-life sentence for a 10 crime. That's all others are saying.

He has 0 point about the team being taken from him, but i agree that he should have some legal consequence IF found guilty or if any of these charges hold true. 

Whatever statistics of "10% expected fatalities of pedestrians struck at 16 mph" probably weren't based on drivers under the influence.

???

Physics is physics. A vehicle is going to have the same force regardless of if the driver is sober or under the influence.